• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gudji

Oh and btw, it seems nintendo might be putting their games on PC too.
That guy Matt is hinting they're already planning that... I'm okay with it. I just buy a new PC and be done with it.

Neofire

PS+ raking a lot of money, if you neglect your console sales, PS+ goes down as well, decreases the number of console, lower income from PS+, from software too. instead that you release exclusives on you platform, you put on PC where you gonna pay 20-30%?

playstation management has change over last few years. best people moved on, now, it is new management and they are doing basically terrible job.
This, if the Playstation exclusives coming to the pc is true it will caution my future investments in the platform and ecosystem. I think it's a mistake but you have a point with the recent change of management at Sony, things are taking a turn for the worse for those who love and have counted the continuity of the brand.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
What was more surprising was Death Stranding's PC release date being dropped before the PS4 version came out.
this explains death stranding's awful sales. it charted on NPD but sony never revealed the sales numbers. it sold half the number of units Days Gone sold in UK and Days Gone itself sold worse than almost all sony exclusives this gen in u.k. in december death stranding didnt even chart psn's top 20.

maybe the game was too polarizing but it got a lot of goty hype and i expected it to do slightly better in december but it did far worse. maybe people are just waiting for the pc version.

this is going to be really interesting to watch. sony exclusives were finally starting to sell well this gen but now sales might cool down again.

Reindeer

Oh and btw, it seems nintendo might be putting their games on PC too.
That guy Matt is hinting they're already planning that... I'm okay with it. I just buy a new PC and be done with it.
They might as well, Nintendo games have been on PC not long after release through emulation for a long time now.

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
I mean, I have to give credit to some people here.
When MS did the exact same thing, they were "clearly abandoning the console business". Sony follows suite, and all of the sudden its a smart strategy to double dip, releasing first on console and then whatever they want months away on PC.
Its quite clear at this point that all digital entertainment companies, and particularly platform holders like Sony, MS, Nintendo are going for the same markets, and with very similar strategies.
And yes, rest easy, console market is not going anywhere. Not when MS then, and Sony now are little by little embracing this play anywhere, service oriented strategy.

Fake

How in the name of the lord a 3 year old ps4 game coming to pc is going to affect ps5 sales? People who plays on PC are going to stay there, and people who plays on console are not going to build a rig just for wait the sony games to drop.
You should answer that question. I asking you if this will impact sales, maybe little/insignificant or much.

Last edited:
This, if the Playstation exclusives coming to the pc is true it will caution my future investments in the platform and ecosystem. I think it's a mistake but you have a point with the recent change of management at Sony, things are taking a turn for the worse for those who love and have counted the continuity of the brand.
why not going PC if you can play there everything?. Is the smartest thing and the tflops war is won there with an Nvidia Ampere.

Reindeer

With the rise of eSports, subscription based services and PC gaming becoming mainstream it makes a lot of sense to make your game available on wide variety of platforms. There's a reason why all these companies are thinking the same, they obviously did their homework as to where the market is heading. Gaming is bigger then movie industry and limiting your games to one console is probably not the way to go going forward, at least from a financial perspective.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

is this a joke or? playstation 4 over 100 million, xbox over 45 (i think) million and switch 44 million. not sure how it’s dying but okey :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Xbox failed hard sold laughable amounts of consoles. Switch is basically a handheld at this point for all kinds of reasons it doesn't even compete on the console segment even remotely. and PS4 isn't selling record numbers of consoles what u would aspect when there is no competition even remotely. I will be shocked if it even breaks PS2 numbers a area with far less gamers by the way.

The market is shrinking even while the gaming market is blowing up massively. It doesn't take a rocketscientist to see why microsoft is focusing on PC, nintendo moves more into mobile and now also sony starts to explore PC.

Consoles are a dead end.

Rossco EZ

Xbox failed hard sold laughable amounts of consoles. Switch is basically a handheld at this point for all kinds of reasons it doesn't even compete on the console segment even remotely. and PS4 isn't selling record numbers of consoles what u would aspect when there is no competition even remotely. I will be shocked if it even breaks PS2 numbers a area with far less gamers by the way.

The market is shrinking even while the gaming market is blowing up massively. It doesn't take a rocketscientist to see why microsoft is focusing on PC, nintendo moves more into mobile and now also sony starts to explore PC.

Consoles are a dead end.
okey

Felessan

10M sales on console + PS+ + PS5.
8M on console, 2M on PC. you loose PS+, console sales + 20-30% cut on PC for the game. i don't see how they will make more money. MS route is money burning process, desperate move. PS lost the plot
Hardcore PC gamers with their shiny 2080 have almost zero impact on sales. New games sales are pityfull at best on PC.
What is interesting in PC market is that games sale literally forever. Unlike on consoles where your game literaly dead after 2-3 years as consoles (ps/xbox) goes through demographic shifts during the lifetime (from more hardcore to more casual), and different stratas have significantly different tastes, that limit longevelity of sales. On PC, evergreen "all time BC compatible", stratas remains roughly the same (some get in, some get out), and people really like to hoard (collect) there for cheap, so games continue to sell, providing stable revenue stream for publishers. A lucrative stream of cash from backcatalog you need almost zero investments to maintain.
So it's more like it'll be 9.5m on console, 0.5m on PC during the first year, and 2-5m more during the next 5 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: TLZ

Consoles are a dead end.
Well sir.... you just made yourself aloooooooooooooooooooooooot of enemies :messenger_mr_smith_who_are_you_going_to_call:

Banned

Consoles are a dead end.

did someone hit you on the head recently? or are you baiting us here?... what the actual fuck? lol

Mod of War

Ω
Staff Member
Everyone there's a Horizon Zero Dawn thread to pc to discuss tht don't derail this thread with tht bs, thanks.

Mod of War Mod of War

Agreed. Take it to another thread.

Consoles are a dead end.

Make a new thread about it, and not derail tech speculation.

so all signs point to vfxveteran? is he the one supporting PS5 9.2 TFLOP vs 10-11 TFLOP Xfridge ? I would rather believe that, and Sony blow my ass out of the water in its PS5 reveal. And remember its not GCN 9.2-11 TFLOPS, its RDNA TFLOPS. So RDNA is 1.5x GCN, so it would be 13.8-16.5 GCN TLFOP range, and with FP32 its friggin 20-30 TFLOP range! (made that range up I dont know how to calculate FP32).

My mind is totally blown and my body is not ready!

ethomaz

Banned
so all signs point to vfxveteran? is he the one supporting PS5 9.2 TFLOP vs 10-11 TFLOP Xfridge ? I would rather believe that, and Sony blow my ass out of the water in its PS5 reveal. And remember its not GCN 9.2-11 TFLOPS, its RDNA TFLOPS. So RDNA is 1.5x GCN, so it would be 13.8-16.5 GCN TLFOP range, and with FP32 its friggin 20-30 TFLOP range! (made that range up I dont know how to calculate FP32).

RDNA is nowhere close to 1.5x GCN.
It is close to 1.2x.

Fake

well I think the Horizon PC leak is somewhat relevant to the topic here since it might change the whole business model of Sony and therefore how the PS5 will be received by fans and the public.
Was before becasue nobody else knowing that 'Horizon' was indeed the subject of mister Kotaku inself. His' surprise' could be anything related to next gen, but from now we should drop that conversation and get back to next gen.

Last edited:
um I am sure this has been discussed before in other threads but are there any games that actually use FP32 precision? Like literally? Does it make a difference in visual fidelity ?

Mod of War

Ω
Staff Member
well I think the Horizon PC leak is somewhat relevant to the topic here since it might change the whole business model of Sony and therefore how the PS5 will be received by fans and the public.

ZsjJ98j.gif

Banned
um I am sure this has been discussed before in other threads but are there any games that actually use FP32 precision? Like literally? Does it make a difference in visual fidelity ?

I'm pretty sure you're mixing things up here. FP32 is used by everyone. FP16 is half precision FP and almost noone uses it for anything that is really important yet no, at least not to my knowledge.
and I'm also pretty sure that most of the stuff that is using FP32 can't be remade in the FP16 format, at least not easily.

Last edited:

Rossco EZ

it doesn’t confirm all exclusives will be available on pc so i’m not sure how it is relevant, for all we know sony’s plan could be to release all the games over a generation on pc but only as that generation comes to an end.

Disco_

I'm pretty sure you're mixing things up here. FP32 is used by everyone. FP16 is half precision FP and almost noone uses it for anything that is really important yet no, at least not to my knowledge.
and I'm also pretty sure that most of the stuff that is using FP32 can't be remade in the FP16 format, at least not easily.
I was surprised to learn they use fp16 when optimizing games for PRO. Supposedly it's pretty common but not sure if it's just 1st party.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

yes. he said 1080 and 1080 ti for the ps5 so 8-9 rdna tflops sounds good. the funny thing about this is that vfxveteran hates console gaming and sony with a passion. so the fact that his predictions are coming true just tells you all you need to know about sony's latest moves. Sony is doing what their haters want them to do as they day dream about sony failing and crashing out of the console business lol.

i am not team 14 tflops anymore. i am team vfx_veteran. our prophet and savior.

on a serious note, i dont think its time to freak out yet. lets wait for the reveal. if 9 tflops is all we get in the feb meeting then we can freak out.

Last edited:

Gediminas

Banned
Hardcore PC gamers with their shiny 2080 have almost zero impact on sales. New games sales are pityfull at best on PC.
What is interesting in PC market is that games sale literally forever. Unlike on consoles where your game literaly dead after 2-3 years as consoles (ps/xbox) goes through demographic shifts during the lifetime (from more hardcore to more casual), and different stratas have significantly different tastes, that limit longevelity of sales. On PC, evergreen "all time BC compatible", stratas remains roughly the same (some get in, some get out), and people really like to hoard (collect) there for cheap, so games continue to sell, providing stable revenue stream for publishers. A lucrative stream of cash from backcatalog you need almost zero investments to maintain.
So it's more like it'll be 9.5m on console, 0.5m on PC during the first year, and 2-5m more during the next 5 years.
look at Ubisoft sales charts. they pushed PC forward. it is not going to be 9.5 vs 0.5, it would be significant bigger sales on PC. they basically ruling home console market with exclusives, they made most money last year without PC. how about xbox? they are at the worst situation with those on PC games. Sony doing a huge mistake in my eyes. but yet again. all founding fathers of playstation, old generation, who cared about the brand, they build up playstation from ground up, they moved or was pushed out by suits. suits will never understand games and gaming. jim ryan and co is just meh, he is just terrible, nonsense he spoke before, it was just terrible and moves which they are making no sense. maybe i am overreacting, but that sometimes happens when you love gaming and games which PS supplies.

rsouzadk

It is more like 1.2 performance per clock and 1.5 performance per watt.

Rossco EZ

.hmmm, so JS says HZD will be on epic and steam, so i guess they wont be using it to push psnow or their own pc store. Bizarre.
they might mention changes to psnow or something along those lines when they talk ps5 so i wouldn’t rule it out coming to psnow

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
.hmmm, so JS says HZD will be on epic and steam, so i guess they wont be using it to push psnow or their own pc store. Bizarre.

What PC store?

They don’t have a PC launcher for purchases games. Just a web store to by games for their platforms.

they might mention changes to psnow or something along those lines when they talk ps5 so i wouldn’t rule it out coming to psnow

It was already announced to PSNow for April.

Oops, noted. Moving on.

Last edited:

Niked

Im calling it. Sony will fail hard this generation. They act very missguided and some suit/s with power is making all the wrong decisions. Its like some one has been possessed with ken kutaragi soul...
Well I guess Its good that I have low expectations going forward...

Last edited:

martino

What PC store?

They don’t have a PC launcher for purchases games. Just a web store to by games for their platforms.

It was already announced to PSNow for April.

i can trust sony to release a competent launcher. if people are okay to let it grow over time (and not react like a lot did with epic, but in their case the brand could help)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom