• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't see consoles going anywhere.

Why do tons of people have those $50-100 media boxes they hook up to their TV? You can simply plug in a PC and find tv channels and pirated movies too.

It's so much easier.
Cheaper too. Who has thousands lying around to build a decent gaming computer?
People go with console for convenience. Plug and play.
Consoles are not going anywhere.

We saw pretty much identical info from both. I don't like Jason as a person (toxic as fuck), but he is indeed an insider with solid info.
This.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Asked Osiris this but he has yet to answer so i'll ask you. Have you seen or heard of any next gen games when it comes to visuals? Can you describe anything you saw or heard from devs?

Do you have a high-end PC? Aside from the jarringly incredible art direction that Sony 1st person games have, you are looking at technology that is available now on the PC. Games aren't going to look like CG movies, they'll still not render at true 4k (for some), still have problems with hair, water, FX, etc.. but all the advanced 3d features that the PC has over current gen will be standard in next-gen. How they will utilize the storage is a question up in the air. Since the PC will get some of the PS5/XSX games, you'll be able to see DF vids of the differences in the graphics in each game. This is all IMO of course.. :messenger_winking:

Shmunter

Because you don't understand hardware. It's not a trolly comment. It's a comment that is very valid to anyone who knows about development of assets.

The first thing you have to get out of your mind is that development on the current gen games was done on a PS4. That's false. Period. It was done on a PC with very powerful hardware. If you make an educated guess at the real world performance of a next-gen console being roughly a 1080Ti performance, try to run current gen games NOW on the PC with a 1080Ti @ true 4k (no checkerboard scaling), 4k texture maps with all graphical details set to Ultra and tell me how fast your frames are. That's essentially a PS5/XSX. Sacrifices will have to be made. And the first thing that goes is resolution, then textures, and on and on. Take it for what it's worth.

It is very possible that HZD on the PC, in it's original director's vision, can look better than the PS5 version of HZD2. The art direction is going to stay the same. There is literally nothing that a PS5/XSX can do performance wise to outshine a high-end 2080Ti and definitely not an Ampere card. Again, facts.,.
You're losing me here, The creation of assets, code, etc being done on a PC as the 'tool' does not mean the games are targeting the PC they are sitting on. The games are targeting the "target" platform and are designed, limited & optimized and optimized for that dev kit. Culling, reducing, resizing, cutting back assets that likely start out as raw files gigs in size that will never run in that form on any hardware is no indicator of anything. A game is like a sculpture, it's as much of what you chisel away as it is what remains.

Suggesting resolution, higher rez textures, effects precision & bump in frame-rate is the final indicator of gfx fidelity comes of as 'not understanding' as you yourself are putting onto me. Evolution of techniques in engines, doing things more efficiently and smarter plays the bigger part.

If you said HZD2, or any equivalent gen game has the potential to look better on more powerful hardware, no disagreement. But instead, reading you're posts in continuum you are deliberately downplaying next gen consoles & elevating PC. Nothing wrong with fanboying, but you are being disingenuous in your attempt and for the sake of other posters that may be taking you seriously based on your clout; I'm calling it.

Last edited:

Tiago07

I don't understand this logic. Especially if HZD on PC looks better than HZD2 on PS5.
Well, I don't know if the HZD in PC will have better graphics than HZD2 in PS5, if I base the graphics in Hellblade 2 Trailer, I think could be better than anyone PC's game setted in Ultra, but I don't know, Im not an insider and I don't have privilege information.

But....

Man my logic is more to funny than a serious market strategy. I based that Sony launches HZD in PC, people in PC enjoyed so much which... Sony announce HZD2 in PS5 with no plans to launch in PC too, and PC's players get forced to buy the PS5

Don't take it serious is just to fun kkkkkkkkkkk 👍

Last edited:
What's your opinion on the 36CU leaks? With clock speeds of 800MHz and 911MHz in testing I can't see how it can be anything other than a PS chip.

Total Speculation: Is it possible the ~2GHz 36CU mode is an enhanced bc mode for patched games with the entire chip not being exposed in any of these tests; and that the full chip is more CUs, likely with a somewhat lower clock in PS5 native mode?

Kind of raises another question though: why need to push the chip to 2GHz in the first place just for enhanced PS4/Pro back-compat? Especially with the assumption Microsoft is going with lower clocks (not necessarily 1.6GHz like some may be thinking, personally, but 1.65Ghz-1.7Ghz might be doable) for their air cooler console?

I mean I get it; smaller chip, can be clocked a bit higher. But it's not so much smaller to get a 300Mhz differential between it and XSX's GPU imho (there's even some rumors that'd effectively push it to almost 2.1GHz). There was a 5700XT recently clocked to 2.2GHz, wonder if anyone knows what kind of cooling they needed and how well it handled such an overclock.

Honestly feel the only things not exposed in that chip test were the ray-tracing, since it wouldn't be required for testing back-compat.

VFXVeteran

Banned
You're losing me here, The creation of assets, code, etc being done on a PC as the 'tool' does not mean the games are targeting the PC they are sitting on. The games are targeting the "target" platform and are designed, limited & optimized and optimized for that dev kit. Culling, reducing, resizing, cutting back assets that likely start out as raw files gigs in size that will never run in that form on any hardware is no indicator of anything. A game is like a sculpture, it's as much of what you chisel away as it is what remains.

That's not true. Yes, there is a target platform, but that doesn't mean they dumb down assets. There are several assets that are just too heavy to render on a console but can render on a high-end PC. You saw it over and over again last gen with the demo reveals that never showed up. Deep Down, UE4 tech demos, etc.. Why must you reason that 1st party companies behave differently than 3rd party companies like DICE, Epic, etc..?

Suggesting resolution, higher rez textures, effects precision & bump in frame-rate is the final indicator of gfx fidelity comes of as 'not understanding' as you yourself are putting onto me. Evolution of techniques in engines, doing things more efficiently and smarter plays the bigger part.

Yea, I just can't have this convo man. Sorry. Resolution is a big performance deterrent. Everything operates in a 2D space plane at pixel shader stage. Higher rez textures are also a memory hog. Doesn't matter about the speed of the techniques. Memory bandwidth is the #1 thing that needs a lot of R&D on. It's not the tricks. I know this because I do it for a living and have done it for 19yrs. Give me a game on the PS4 that is using a technique that can't be done on a PC.

If you said HZD2, or any equivalent gen game has the potential to look better on more powerful hardware, no disagreement. But instead, reading you're posts in continuum you are deliberately downplaying next gen consoles & elevating PC. Nothing wrong with fanboying, but you are being disingenuous in your attempt and for the sake of other posters that may be taking you seriously based on your clout I'm calling it.

It's not deliberately downplaying next-gen consoles. The PC *is* the more powerful hardware. That's a fact. How is that not acceptable to you?

Last edited:

Banned
Would be incredible if Sony launches Horizon to PC and announce Horizon 2 for PS5 kkkkkkkk. That should be the best strategy to bring PC gamers to buy a PS5 too

yeah I can totally see all the PC players go "damn! I haven't played a mediocre Ubiworld game in years! I WANT MORE OF THIS AT 30FPS, WITH CONTROLLER AIMING ON A 500€ SYETEM THAT I DON'T OWN!"

no PC player would do that, if anything that would make them just wait for the PC release, that happened with GTA5 and RDR2 aswell, no PC only gamer would buy a console to play a game with controller aim at 30fps... because most PC only players play PC only specifically to avoid these 2 things

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Can;t wait to see the specs of both systems.

It's rumoured PS5 was supposed to come out end of 2019, but Sony ditched it for a beefier 2020 console where (if it's true) they scrapped the 9.2TF config and goosed up everything to be similar to Series X specs.

Banned

If you said HZD2, or any equivalent gen game has the potential to look better on more powerful hardware, no disagreement. But instead, reading you're posts in continuum you are deliberately downplaying next gen consoles & elevating PC. Nothing wrong with fanboying, but you are being disingenuous in your attempt and for the sake of other posters that may be taking you seriously based on your clout; I'm calling it.

Textures and Assets are not made in the exact form you will see them in the final game.
you don't make a texture that looks blurry on purpose, you make a sharp texture that looks super clean, and then while developing the game you have to look at your budget and which textures you.kight scale down because you think they're not that important, and which to have at as high a resolution as possible.

same with 3d models. you look what the budget is and then scale them if necessary.

and so if they still have all the high detail textures and models they can just throw them into the PC version as ultra settings.

drawdistance and LODs is the easiest to enhance in PC, way less pop in, higher detail at medium range etc.

making a PC port of a game look visibly better without much of a hassle is easy, even if the target atbfirst was only the PS4/pro

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Can;t wait to see the specs of both systems.

It's rumoured PS5 was supposed to come out end of 2019, but Sony ditched it for a beefier 2020 console where (if it's true) they scrapped the 9.2TF config and goosed up everything to be similar to Series X specs.

The problem with that theory is the games, they would have had no content ready for it and that takes years of development time.

Tiago07

yeah I can totally see all the PC players go "damn! I haven't played a mediocre Ubiworld game in years! I WANT MORE OF THIS AT 30FPS, WITH CONTROLLER AIMING ON A 500€ SYETEM THAT I DON'T OWN!"

no PC player would do that, if anything that would make them just wait for the PC release, that happened with GTA5 and RDR2 aswell, no PC only gamer would buy a console to play a game with controller aim at 30fps... because most PC only players play PC only specifically to avoid these 2 things
Man, I think I had the possible answer to your comment above in this thread, but I know some people who's plays as principal in PC, but have a PS4 and a Switch just to play exclusive games so it's not impossible...

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
Textures and Assets are not made in the exact form you will see them in the final game.
you don't make a texture that looks blurry on purpose, you make a sharp texture that looks super clean, and then while developing the game you have to look at your budget and which textures you.kight scale down because you think they're not that important, and which to have at as high a resolution as possible.

same with 3d models. you look what the budget is and then scale them if necessary.

and so if they still have all the high detail textures and models they can just throw them into the PC version as ultra settings.

drawdistance and LODs is the easiest to enhance in PC,
way less pop in, higher detail at medium range etc.

making a PC port of a game look visibly better without much of a hassle is easy, even if the target atbfirst was only the PS4/pro

I tried to explain but got resistance for some reason.. :messenger_grimmacing_

Last edited:
Xbox one X should ship with W10 + xbox interface dual boot imo.

You could advertise it as a students workstation + gaming + enertainment system all in one.

Last edited:

Mod of War

Ω
Staff Member

Please dial it back on these smarmy posts that can quickly make threads go south with “PC master race vs peasants” garbage.

This thread should remain civil, and his comment was extremely benign.

Nah ...some don't have that much patience to wait so they put up with stuttering laggy 30 fps. :messenger_pensive:

Audiophile

Kind of raises another question though: why need to push the chip to 2GHz in the first place just for enhanced PS4/Pro back-compat? Especially with the assumption Microsoft is going with lower clocks (not necessarily 1.6GHz like some may be thinking, personally, but 1.65Ghz-1.7Ghz might be doable) for their air cooler console?

It's purely speculation of course, but it'd only be for PS4 games that have received a patch for enhanced BC on PS5 (think Last Of Us II, Ghosts etc.) and in regards to why they'd need to go to 2GHz, it would simply be because they can when running a reduced portion of the chip in that mode. Why not give devs every drop available? I'd also think a much higher clock across the same amount of CUs but at >2x clockspeed would make for a super-simple upgrade path for devs vs having to schedule for more CUs.

Again, total conjecture and I don't mean to sound like I'm clinging to straws, but a full 36CU part just seems so hard to get my head around and yet the 800/911MHz tests are far too specific to ignore; throw in a few solid sources hinting instead towards 12TF and I'm totally torn as to what's going on. :messenger_dizzy:

Norse

I wouldn’t trust vfx on this. Iirc he said around 1080, then he changed it to between 1080 to 1080ti for both consoles. Dude kept trying to downplay consoles meanwhile pushing pc master race.
Wasn't he also the one that said ps5 had better rt and SSD but that MS was working to correct the ssd part. Then the news of the 7gbs ssd controller hit. Vfx may know more than you give him credit for.

Shmunter

Yeah, yeah. You got resistance for making claims that increasing assets on a last gen game, designed around last gen hardware limitations, will look better than it’s next gen sequel designed around next gen hardware simply because the last gen game is now on PC!

I mean why would anyone buy a PS5 with Horizon 2 when HZ1 on pc is better right?

Would be incredible if Sony launches Horizon to PC and announce Horizon 2 for PS5 kkkkkkkk. That should be the best strategy to bring PC gamers to buy a PS5 too
I don't understand this logic. Especially if HZD on PC looks better than HZD2 on PS5.

it‘s true what they say; debating with a fanboy is sillier than actually being one. And I can only reflect for falling into such a trap and do better in the future.

Interesting to go back and see what the specs leaks of this gen were a year or so before the launch.

Durango:
AMD CPU, 6-8 cores
Ram 3-4 GB
AMD GPU
Total processing power 1-1.2 teraflops

Note: I've heard of 8GB ram from reliable people on this form, but a certain, well respected, insider on B3D is certain that 3-4 and 1 teraflops is near final. His information is the most up to date that I've got.

Unreal 4 needing 1 TP is pretty indicative.

It seems that the IGN's 6x more than 360 article isn't that far off, but it's more like 4x 360.

Orbis:
AMD CPU 4 cores x-86
AMD GPU 1150 SPU, 1.8 teraflops, 800 mhz
2GB GDDR5 (unlikely this will be bumped to 4GB)

The RAM numbers were way off. CPUs also wernt 8 core. GPUs pretty much on the button.

drawdistance and LODs is the easiest to enhance in PC, way less pop in, higher detail at medium range etc.

You bringing up how source art is made has nothing to do with the argument Veteran made which was that playable gameplay assets have always supposedly been made to the specs of the most powerful PC in the world and then downscaled for the peasant consoles.

Like somewhere every dev has a harddrive of much higher fidelity gameplay models sitting around that are perfectly suitable for a 2080 Super but they don't use them because it would make the console players feel inferior...

If what you and Veteran were alluding to were true all or even some pc ports of current gen games would look a generation ahead because those higher res assets built for performant pcs should have no problem on said PCs right? Devs just got to click a button to load them in, right? Except they only exist as high res source art not meant for real time which is why pc ports usually only get LOD0 console target assets at best along with bumps in lighting, shadows and slightly less filtered textures.

You take consoles out of the equation you still have a minimum pc baseline you build to but even foregoing that most source art couldn't run real time in a game environment on the most expensive pc you put together. They are made to bake detail into normal maps to be used on the target platform's budgeted assets. We're talking single character models with triangles in the millions... cmon

Tldr version. Source art assets aren't built to be playable on any pc spec despite what Veteran would have you believe. Not that that isn't obvious...

demigod

Wasn't he also the one that said ps5 had better rt and SSD but that MS was working to correct the ssd part. Then the news of the 7gbs ssd controller hit. Vfx may know more than you give him credit for.

No clue, i don’t read his stuff because it’s basically pc master race. And you guys really don’t know anything about ssd if you’re just going to come in and claim 7gbs as king. Go do some research, better yet go buy a 3500nvme and tell me how it fares in games vs ssd :messenger_tears_of_joy:

bitbydeath

You bringing up how source art is made has nothing to do with the argument Veteran made which was that playable gameplay assets have always supposedly been made to the specs of the most powerful PC in the world and then downscaled for the peasant consoles.

Like somewhere every dev has a harddrive of much higher fidelity gameplay models sitting around that are perfectly suitable for a 2080 Super but they don't use them because it would make the console players feel inferior...

If what you and Veteran were alluding to were true all or even some pc ports of current gen games would look a generation ahead because those higher res assets built for performant pcs should have no problem on said PCs right? Devs just got to click a button to load them in, right? Except they only exist as high res source art not meant for real time which is why pc ports usually only get LOD0 console target assets at best along with bumps in lighting, shadows and slightly less filtered textures.

You take consoles out of the equation you still have a minimum pc baseline you build to but even foregoing that most source art couldn't run real time in a game environment on the most expensive pc you put together. They are made to bake detail into normal maps to be used on the target platform's budgeted assets. We're talking single character models with triangles in the millions... cmon

Tldr version. Source art assets aren't built to be playable on any pc spec despite what Veteran would have you believe. Not that that isn't obvious...

Also mods wouldn’t be possible if games were built against the highest spec’d machines as the hardware would already be maxed out.

Last edited:

Norse

No clue, i don’t read his stuff because it’s basically pc master race. And you guys really don’t know anything about ssd if you’re just going to come in and claim 7gbs as king. Go do some research, better yet go buy a 3500nvme and tell me how it fares in games vs ssd :messenger_tears_of_joy:
The ssd performance wasn't the point. Let me help you.......vfx posted the info about MS upgrading the xsx ssd performance and low and behold news about the 7gbs controller hit. Point being that he knew about it before any of the "leakers" here. Get it? We have yet to hear official ssd performance specs from either camp so I'm not sure why you want to argue over that. Give the guy some credit for leaking something that turned out to be legit.

demigod

The ssd performance wasn't the point. Let me help you.......vfx posted the info about MS upgrading the xsx ssd performance and low and behold news about the 7gbs controller hit. Point being that he knew about it before any of the "leakers" here. Get it? We have yet to hear official ssd performance specs from either camp so I'm not sure why you want to argue over that. Give the guy some credit for leaking something that turned out to be legit.

You got a link to where he said rt and ssd is better on ps5? I know osiris said that.

OsirisBlack

Banned
I understand what you're trying to say but it won't and it can't. Had a very long discussion before typing this up as to not make a complete ass of myself but the assets made for the first game even though they were made on PC would not have reached the level of fidelity of the assets created for the new game targeting a more powerful spec. They would add features that would have not even made the previous game despite it being made on PC due to the impossibility of them being added to the target machine. This is also why Beyond Human while achieving better fps and resolutions on PC is largely visually the same as PS4 pro. This is what I was told and I just about copied and pasted that from a text.

And I'm saying that the 1st party games this current gen were NOT built around console power in the sense that the studio did NOT implement features in the graphics pipeline that couldn't possibly run on a console. Take Detroit, for example. That game on the PC simply can NOT run on any console at true 4k WITH 4k higher res texture maps, more accurate ambient occlusion, higher texture filtering etc.. it was not added AFTER the fact. It was added DURING development and ported DOWN to consoles. You will see other exclusives with these same dramatic changes when released on the PC. Just wait for it.
Not that Dramatic.

Yea, I think you guys really need to consider that the PC is the frontrunner in this next-gen race. It's going to be way more powerful and exclusives are going to be fewer and fewer. The weather is moving in the direction of game selling instead of hardware selling.
I know you really don't believe that Sony while trying to sell a $500 console is going to release their exclusives at the same time on PC as they do on their own platform.

Thanks for your contribution Osiris. Always look forward to your posts.

Can you answer one thing.

Have you seen any next gen games personally or heard of people talking about them? Can you perhaps describe what they look like? Or point to any current CG videos on youtube as a baseline for next gen visuals?

I think people will be surprised by how much of that trailer is actual game play. As far as other games yes I have seen a bit of two from one studio and one from another. One is a sequel, the other is Sci Fi and from the same studio. The third is going to be KILLER when it releases. The sequel is the best looking game I have ever seen and I have been hinting at it constantly. I have never seen anything that looks this good on ANY platform. If its not the new graphical standard I have no idea what will be.

I know, Tidux and all, but I believe this is true:

Edit: hardware BC, that is. I believe we'll see PS2 and PS3 games coming to PSN similar to what XBL does with previous XBoxes

Stated before and still standing on it, I haven't heard anything about PS1,2 or 3 Bc. Not saying it isn't happening just saying that if it is I haven't heard anything at all about it. Only heard about PS4 Bc.

Last edited:

44alltheway

I understand what you're trying to say but it won't and it can't. Had a very long discussion before typing this up as to not make a complete ass of myself but the assets made for the first game even though they were made on PC would not have reached the level of fidelity of the assets created for the new game targeting a more powerful spec. They would add features that would have not even made the previous game despite it being made on PC due to the impossibility of them being added to the target machine. This is also why Beyond Human while achieving better fps and resolutions on PC is largely visually the same as PS4 pro. This is what I was told and I just about copied and pasted that from a text.

Not that Dramatic.

I know you really don't believe that Sony while trying to sell a $500 console is going to release their exclusives at the same time on PC as they do on their own platform.

I think people will be surprised by how much of that trailer is actual game play. As far as other games yes I have seen a bit of two from one studio and one from another. One is a sequel, the other is Sci Fi and from the same studio. The third is going to be KILLER when it releases. The sequel is the best looking game I have ever seen and I have been hinting at it constantly. I have never seen anything that looks this good on ANY platform. If its not the new graphical standard I have no idea what will be.

Stated before and still standing on it, I haven't heard anything about PS1,2 or 3 Bc. Not saying it isn't happening just saying that if it is I haven't heard anything at all about it. Only heard about PS4 Bc.

Again, thanks for your insight (whether it's wrong or right lol)., it makes the process of waiting for the specs/games so much more interesting (same to you Timdog!) Anyway you could give more hints to the games you referenced after the Ghost of Tsushima trailer?

Felessan

This contradict known reality. It's the same as saying that PS3 game on PC will look better than PS4 game - never happened.
Yes, PC can up resolution and framerate, but it can't add effects/technics/features that was cut (not planed and included) initially because there is no point in them in target hardware (consoles). And various effects and advanced techniques adds more to visual fidelity than just upping resolution and framerate - this is why I expect VRS+CBR or similar at 30 fps to dominate this gen, as they free resources for something else.

demigod

I think people will be surprised by how much of that trailer is actual game play. As far as other games yes I have seen a bit of two from one studio and one from another. One is a sequel, the other is Sci Fi and from the same studio. The third is going to be KILLER when it releases. The sequel is the best looking game I have ever seen and I have been hinting at it constantly. I have never seen anything that looks this good on ANY platform. If its not the new graphical standard I have no idea what will be

Guerilla?

joe_zazen

OsirisBlack OsirisBlack

do sony have any major ps5 exclusives lined up for launch day? I know you are keen on MS’ xsx launch library.

there are rumours that ps5 launch day is kinda barren. Rumour also says ms has 12-16 exclusives lined up for launch.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

Banned

This. It's like him saying that mortal kombat x at native 4k and 120fps on the pc looks better than mortal kombat 11 on the ps4. It's stupid.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads

Not that Dramatic.

This has me thinking Guerrilla Games or Santa Monica for two reasons

Santa Monica because the sequel would be God of War and rumors were Cory etc wanted to work on a new ip that may involve robots or space or some shit

Guerrilla Games due to the fact they are making Horizon Zero Dawn 2 and maybe got green lit for a new ip not revealed yet obviously

I was thinking it could have been Naughy Dog but the last of us isnt next gen and Im sure they working on a new first person ip potentially.

only two studios I believe this could be

OsirisBlack

Banned
OsirisBlack OsirisBlack

do sony have any major ps5 exclusives lined up for launch day? I know you are keen on MS’ xsx launch library.

there are rumours that ps5 launch day is kinda barren. Rumour also says ms has 12-16 exclusives lined up for launch.

PS5 will have exclusive games but honestly it looks like MS line up will be very good or even better initially. Some late gen PS4 games will be counted as launch titles (I don't like it but it is what I am hearing) But there will be some PS5 games that are true exclusives and cannot be played on PS4.

Soadi

I would actually be shocked if PS5 launch lineup is better than XSX, I mean they already have Halo: Infinite and Hellblade 2 and I believe Forza will be there aswell, tough to beat that.

Nickolaidas

Banned
PS5 will have exclusive games but honestly it looks like MS line up will be very good or even better initially. Some late gen PS4 games will be counted as launch titles (I don't like it but it is what I am hearing) But there will be some PS5 games that are true exclusives and cannot be played on PS4.

So basically, guys like me who plan on getting both will have all the good sex, but none of the nagging?

ZywyPL

Banned

SMS released a video back in the days about developing GoW3, that's the best example/insight how the assets are being toned down in order to run on the targeted hardware, like how they were sculping down the Poseidon model over and over again to fit within a given polygon budget and so on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom