• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nickolaidas

Banned
There's no way in hell series x will have exclusives at launch and ps 5 having none when numerous people reported devs having ps5 dev kits for far longer than series x dev kits.

Nickolaidas

Banned
Larian Studios, the developers of Baldur's Gate 3, a next-gen rpg, tweeted that more news about the game will come on the 27th of February.

Since this game isn't announced for consoles yet ... could it be they'll be showing the first gameplay trailer in the ps5 reveal and announce it as a ps5 title, which means the ps5 may be revealed on the 27th??

OsirisBlack

Banned
If none of you have seen it yet I highly suggest watching 1917.

Larian Studios, the developers of Baldur's Gate 3, a next-gen rpg, tweeted that more news about the game will come on the 27th of February.

Since this game isn't announced for consoles yet ... could it be they'll be showing the first gameplay trailer in the ps5 reveal and announce it as a ps5 title, which means the ps5 may be revealed on the 27th??

This is one of my most anticipated games.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

Banned
This comment seems so randoom.. Lol.. 1917...a riddle..?

Edit: rpg.. Exclusive..?? :p
Baldur's gate 3 has already been confirmed for pc and staadia.

I always thought that ps and xbox weren't announced because larian wanted the game to be on the next gen consoles and nothing was official back then about ps5 and series x.

44alltheway

BTW, and this isn't just to OsirisBlack OsirisBlack (b/c how could he or she know?), do you all think Microsoft can catch up to Sony in their first party offering long term? Obviously they will try harder earlier in the generation, but do you think it will be the case by the end of the generation?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
BTW, and this isn't just to OsirisBlack OsirisBlack (b/c how could he or she know?), do you all think Microsoft can catch up to Sony in their first party offering long term? Obviously they will try harder earlier in the generation, but do you think it will be the case by the end of the generation?

Microsoft will catch up to Sony in regards to quantity but quality remains to be seen. One thing is for sure though - Xbox Series X will be way better than Xbox One was in this regard to closer if not equal to what they were during Xbox 360.

sinnergy

So this is needed to believe someone that had a different opinion ? Good for you Veteran! I hope we all learn something from this towards each other.

vivftp

I understand what you're trying to say but it won't and it can't. Had a very long discussion before typing this up as to not make a complete ass of myself but the assets made for the first game even though they were made on PC would not have reached the level of fidelity of the assets created for the new game targeting a more powerful spec. They would add features that would have not even made the previous game despite it being made on PC due to the impossibility of them being added to the target machine. This is also why Beyond Human while achieving better fps and resolutions on PC is largely visually the same as PS4 pro. This is what I was told and I just about copied and pasted that from a text.

Not that Dramatic.

I know you really don't believe that Sony while trying to sell a $500 console is going to release their exclusives at the same time on PC as they do on their own platform.

I think people will be surprised by how much of that trailer is actual game play. As far as other games yes I have seen a bit of two from one studio and one from another. One is a sequel, the other is Sci Fi and from the same studio. The third is going to be KILLER when it releases. The sequel is the best looking game I have ever seen and I have been hinting at it constantly. I have never seen anything that looks this good on ANY platform. If its not the new graphical standard I have no idea what will be.

Stated before and still standing on it, I haven't heard anything about PS1,2 or 3 Bc. Not saying it isn't happening just saying that if it is I haven't heard anything at all about it. Only heard about PS4 Bc.

The sequel sounds like God of War since you've been mentioning Odin a lot. Plus Cory is said to be working on a scifi game also at SSM, so that fits. The third game, maybe Horizon?

Regarding the sequel you say looks better than any game you've seen, how would you compare it to that Hellblade 2 target render video from the VGA's?

SgtCaffran

So this is needed to believe someone that had a different opinion ? Good for you Veteran! I hope we all learn something from this towards each other.
It's not as much a different opinion than it is PC master race trolling every chance he gets. He has already been warned in this topic and he was banned from Era for the same reason.

If he has insider info on the PS5 or XsX then fine just drop it, but please leave the PC master race senseless rhetoric out of this thread.

In this case it's more about history and context. VFX has been warned, banned and perm'd for a long history of platform warring.
It's not that he is necessarily wrong, or that he doesn't have valid information - he does on occasion. It's that every discussion eventually boils down to PC Master Race platform warring.

In terms of the general discussion about PC being the benchmark and development being PC centric. Well... Yes and no?
Obviously if you're part of the 1% of PC users who have the latest hardware, you will naturally pick up the best version of multiplatform games. However the line of thought that VFX is on, would suggest that new consoles at 1080ti performance levels will result in PC Detroit visuals with the bells and whistles.
What this ignores is the generational leap in visuals that occurs when the consoles hit their stride. Put simply, the rising tide lifts all boats.
We will 100% see visuals that will look better than maxed out PC versions of Detroit, RDR2 etc. That's because developers will have millions (and eventually, tens of millions) of new, more capable consoles to target their engines and games towards. We've seen it before and we'll see it again. Something like a RDR2 jump will occur on consoles, that simply doesn't exist on PC yet. Everyone will benefit from the leap, and we'll get a new benchmark for AAA gaming.

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
Thought of one particular gaf member when I saw this.... LoL 🤣😂🤣

yK1cPj7.jpg

SNPlayen

If the only difference between Horizon and Horizon 2 is graphics then that would suck. I really liked Horizon but that game has a lot of improving to do if a sequel is to excite me, in many other areas.

The ssd performance wasn't the point. Let me help you.......vfx posted the info about MS upgrading the xsx ssd performance and low and behold news about the 7gbs controller hit. Point being that he knew about it before any of the "leakers" here. Get it? We have yet to hear official ssd performance specs from either camp so I'm not sure why you want to argue over that. Give the guy some credit for leaking something that turned out to be legit.

It was Osiris or Tommy.

Last edited:
Well, your concern is that AMD is inside the consoles. Even if AMD had a chip that would compete with Ampere doesn't mean it would show up in the consoles. If this next gen sees 6-7yrs before a new gen, and you factor in that Nvidia has been releasing a new chip every 2yrs, the consoles would be 3 generations behind by the next-next gen comes out.
Performance uplift between generations has not been that high r cently and that's not even factoring in price to performance.
Turing actually offered a regression in shader performance per dollar, given that the 2080 offered similar performance to a 1080ti at the same price as a 1080ti. If you wanted a card meaningfully faster than a 1080ti, you'd need to drop $1200 for a 2080ti or $3000 for a Titan RTX. Even then the uplift was only 20-30%.
This applied to the whole stack. The x60 card jumper up to $400 and the x70 card jumper to $500.
And with that, tired having the worst combination of tiny margins and no market share, AMD followed Nvidia's pricing structure with Navi - undercutting just by enough to offer some form of value proposition.

Unless Ampere or Hopper or whatever it's called is an absolutely astonishing architecture, I don't see it performing much more than 30% better than Turing in rasterisation. I think the biggest performance uplift will be in RTX.

But consoles being slower than PC has been true since forever. Constantly evolving architecture and performance will always beat fixed hardware. Consoles only really have performance per dollar. Heck even now it's still cheaper to buy a PS4 Pro than it is to build a PC with an RX580.

OsirisBlack

Banned
Man walks into a dimly lit room, light bleeds across the room from a shoulder mounted communication device. It is the most light in the scene. There is a light mist and sparks spew from a torn electrical wire tossing light and particles around as the man cautiously makes his way across the room. His boots leave prints as he walks across the polished floors the dim light showing his reflection in the floor. The wire behind him cracks and slows as it comes to a stop along with all of the other lights in the room shutting off at the same time. The man covers the device on his shoulder but the light bleeds through his hand. The man pulls a firearm and continues making his way through this large sterile room. A noise behind him and he turns around removing his hand from the device at his shoulder and revealing himself to everyone. The light illuminates the room and a table he had walked past has been knocked over. The table cloth is still slowly settling on the floor along with all of the other things from the table that have been strewn about. Off in the distance a pair of yellow eyes open and fix on the man. (You will know who he is but I cannot say) he raises his fire arm and fires off several shots. The flash from the gun illuminating the darkness as the creature reels then attacks. Another set of eyes opens as it runs across the room at him. You can see the impact of the weapon punching holes in this thing as it makes its way across the room. The man backpedals and falls down (Monster is right on top of him at this point) over something as he is trying to get away. He fires off a few more shots while on his back and scampers to his feet. The monster still chasing he makes his way into the next room and slams the door behind him. You hear a series of clicks and other weird noises coming through the door. The man leans up against it and you hear a deep inhalation come from the other side of the door like the creature is sniffing around for his scent. The man is breathing heavily and removes one hand from the door and clutches his side, blood is running down his side and his pant leg and pooling under the door. Last shot is the creature kneeling on the other side of the door putting one hand to the blood (creature has four arms) then smelling it. "I have found you." He almost sings the words then the title screen shows and that's it.

Lets see if anyone else can get this detailed. It is the best looking anything that I have ever seen and the character models lighting and physics are on another level. The main character is impossible to confuse with anyone else and this game has not been revealed but I have hinted at it several times. This is not a cut scene or a render target it is actual game play and it is very impressive. Well the end is a cut scene but man ..... You literally cannot tell the difference and Yes

single shot, no cuts = no loading next gen?

This was definitely all one shot.

Edited to add: I was just given the go ahead to post this and it is from an early vertical slice that I did get to see.
And before anyone asks No I cannot describe what the man is wearing because it would be a dead giveaway.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

Banned
Yellow eyes ... an alien from the resistance games of insomniac? But I wouldn't call the protagonist 'easily recognizable'. Hale was an average joe, visually.

Many thanks for the tease, Osiris. You're my favorite leaker.

Edit: did the werewolves in the Order have yellow eyes?

Last edited:

SNPlayen

Man walks into a dimly lit room, light bleeds across the room from a shoulder mounted communication device. It is the most light in the scene. There is a light mist and sparks spew from a torn electrical wire tossing light and particles around as the man cautiously makes his way across the room. His boots leave prints as he walks across the polished floors the dim light showing his reflection in the floor. The wire behind him cracks and slows as it comes to a stop along with all of the other lights in the room shutting off at the same time. The man covers the device on his shoulder but the light bleeds through his hand. The man pulls a firearm and continues making his way through this large sterile room. A noise behind him and he turns around removing his hand from the device at his shoulder and revealing himself to everyone. The light illuminates the room and a table he had walked past has been knocked over. The table cloth is still slowly settling on the floor along with all of the other things from the table that have been strewn about. Off in the distance a pair of yellow eyes open and fix on the man. (You will know who he is but I cannot say) he raises his fire arm and fires off several shots. The flash from the gun illuminating the darkness as the creature reels then attacks. Another set of eyes opens as it runs across the room at him. You can see the impact of the weapon punching holes in this thing as it makes its way across the room. The man backpedals and falls down (Monster is right on top of him at this point) over something as he is trying to get away. He fires off a few more shots while on his back and scampers to his feet. The monster still chasing he makes his way into the next room and slams the door behind him. You hear a series of clicks and other weird noises coming through the door. The man leans up against it and you hear a deep inhalation come from the other side of the door like the creature is sniffing around for his scent. The man is breathing heavily and removes one hand from the door and clutches his side, blood is running down his side and his pant leg and pooling under the door. Last shot is the creature kneeling on the other side of the door putting one hand to the blood then smelling it. "I have found you." He almost sings the words then the title screen shows and that's it.

Lets see if anyone else can get this detailed. It is the best looking anything that I have ever seen and the character models lighting and physics are on another level. The main character is impossible to confuse with anyone else and this game has not been revealed but I have hinted at it several times. This is not a cut scene or a render target it is actual game play and it is very impressive. Well the end is a cut scene but man ..... You literally cannot tell the difference and Yes

Edited to add: I was just given the go ahead to post this and it is from an early vertical slice that I did get to see.
Is this PS5 or Xbox?

Ellery

Performance uplift between generations has not been that high r cently and that's not even factoring in price to performance.
Turing actually offered a regression in shader performance per dollar, given that the 2080 offered similar performance to a 1080ti at the same price as a 1080ti. If you wanted a card meaningfully faster than a 1080ti, you'd need to drop $1200 for a 2080ti or $3000 for a Titan RTX. Even then the uplift was only 20-30%.
This applied to the whole stack. The x60 card jumper up to $400 and the x70 card jumper to $500.
And with that, tired having the worst combination of tiny margins and no market share, AMD followed Nvidia's pricing structure with Navi - undercutting just by enough to offer some form of value proposition.

Unless Ampere or Hopper or whatever it's called is an absolutely astonishing architecture, I don't see it performing much more than 30% better than Turing in rasterisation. I think the biggest performance uplift will be in RTX.

But consoles being slower than PC has been true since forever. Constantly evolving architecture and performance will always beat fixed hardware. Consoles only really have performance per dollar. Heck even now it's still cheaper to buy a PS4 Pro than it is to build a PC with an RX580.

I agree with you that the RTX 20 series was extremely terrible in regards to moving forward and hoping for better $/fps. Nvidia basically rebranding/naming cards in order to give the illusion that they are better than they actually are. Back with older generations a $499 GTX 580 was top of the line full fat big chip. Now to get the full fat big chip you need to drop 2500$ on the RTX Titan.
Of course things are not black and white and I would be a fool to compare it like that without factoring in all the other factors that go into the equation including rising R&D costs, competition, inflation, rising cost of labor etc.

One thing to keep in mind is that Nvidia is not going to give people a huge jump in graphical performance if they don't have to. Even if the next architecture is a gigantic improvement over Turing and even if 12nm -> 7nm gives a great performance jump aswell it still doesn't mean Nvidia is going to give it to us. It is more likely they are releasing smaller cards with slightly better performance.
Lets say a theoretical 400mm² RTX 3080 with 15% more performance than an RTX 2080 Ti even if they could release a 600mm² card that completely obliterates the RTX 2080 Ti.

I also agree with you on the last part. Buying an Xbox One X or PS4 Pro with the hardware they actually have inside is not a bad deal. Especially when those are on sale. I have seen the PS4 Pro as low as 250€ and the Xbox One X for 290€ with games. Like you said you can't build a PC with an RX580 for that (well maybe you could, but you really shouldn't/don't want to).
But that also "locks" you into their eco systems which is what they want.
So probably the XBX and PS5 could have good hardware for whatever price they release at, but some people expecting some sort of magic in terms of performance for a mass market 400-500$ product is just ungrounded wishful thinking

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
Man walks into a dimly lit room, light bleeds across the room from a shoulder mounted communication device. It is the most light in the scene. There is a light mist and sparks spew from a torn electrical wire tossing light and particles around as the man cautiously makes his way across the room. His boots leave prints as he walks across the polished floors the dim light showing his reflection in the floor. The wire behind him cracks and slows as it comes to a stop along with all of the other lights in the room shutting off at the same time. The man covers the device on his shoulder but the light bleeds through his hand. The man pulls a firearm and continues making his way through this large sterile room. A noise behind him and he turns around removing his hand from the device at his shoulder and revealing himself to everyone. The light illuminates the room and a table he had walked past has been knocked over. The table cloth is still slowly settling on the floor along with all of the other things from the table that have been strewn about. Off in the distance a pair of yellow eyes open and fix on the man. (You will know who he is but I cannot say) he raises his fire arm and fires off several shots. The flash from the gun illuminating the darkness as the creature reels then attacks. Another set of eyes opens as it runs across the room at him. You can see the impact of the weapon punching holes in this thing as it makes its way across the room. The man backpedals and falls down (Monster is right on top of him at this point) over something as he is trying to get away. He fires off a few more shots while on his back and scampers to his feet. The monster still chasing he makes his way into the next room and slams the door behind him. You hear a series of clicks and other weird noises coming through the door. The man leans up against it and you hear a deep inhalation come from the other side of the door like the creature is sniffing around for his scent. The man is breathing heavily and removes one hand from the door and clutches his side, blood is running down his side and his pant leg and pooling under the door. Last shot is the creature kneeling on the other side of the door putting one hand to the blood (creature has four arms) then smelling it. "I have found you." He almost sings the words then the title screen shows and that's it.

And before anyone asks No I cannot describe what the man is wearing because it would be a dead giveaway.

Could it be perhaps The Order 1887? Or whatever else they might ended up calling it? Or maybe is Resistance Fall of Men reboot? Bloodborne 2?

Last edited:

Shmunter

Can’t be, can it?

MTQ0NDIzNTkxNQ==

Gloggins

Sounds like Batman: Arkham Whatever until this part: "I have found you." He almost sings the words

That's out of character for Ol' Batty.

The next Resi?

Oddspeak

It was the monster speaking.

So the protagonist of this scene is male and has a gun, a device on his shoulder, and recognizable outfit.
The antagonist (the monster) has yellow eyes, can speak, and sniffs its prey's scent.

It definitely sounds like it could be The Order, especially when one of your hints can be interpreted to suggest a sequel from Ready at Dawn.

Shmunter

So the protagonist of this scene is male and has a gun, a device on his shoulder, and recognizable outfit.
The antagonist (the monster) has yellow eyes, can speak, and sniffs its prey's scent.

It definitely sounds like it could be The Order, especially when one of your hints can be interpreted to suggest a sequel from Ready at Dawn.
So unexpected, but totally welcome. Could it be?

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
I’ve said it before many times... the order had potential. They just screwed the pooch. A sequel could be tits ahoy good, if they fix the problems with the first but keep the same attention to detail.

the question now is... would this come to xbox as well? Ready at Dawn isn’t owned by Sony is it? And Sony don’t own the ip either? So, in that case, wouldn’t it make more financial sense to make this multiplatform...? Or did I get one of those wrong?

Food for thought?

I agree with you that the RTX 20 series was extremely terrible in regards to moving forward and hoping for better $/fps. Nvidia basically rebranding/naming cards in order to give the illusion that they are better than they actually are. Back with older generations a $499 GTX 580 was top of the line full fat big chip. Now to get the full fat big chip you need to drop 2500$ on the RTX Titan.
Of course things are not black and white and I would be a fool to compare it like that without factoring in all the other factors that go into the equation including rising R&D costs, competition, inflation, rising cost of labor etc.

One thing to keep in mind is that Nvidia is not going to give people a huge jump in graphical performance if they don't have to. Even if the next architecture is a gigantic improvement over Turing and even if 12nm -> 7nm gives a great performance jump aswell it still doesn't mean Nvidia is going to give it to us. It is more likely they are releasing smaller cards with slightly better performance.
Lets say a theoretical 400mm² RTX 3080 with 15% more performance than an RTX 2080 Ti even if they could release a 600mm² card that completely obliterates the RTX 2080 Ti.
TSMC's 12FFN process is quite mature now and 16nm wafers (despite the name of the node it is still 16nm) are dirt cheap. They can afford to make 600-700mm2 dies and still make a decent margin on them.
I know N7(+) is a great node, but th wafers are far more expensive. If Nvidia go big again (and they'll need to to significantly increase shader counts and add better RTX hardware), it's gonna cost them a lot of money to put out a hypothetical GA102 that's 600+mm2. If it costs them a lot of money, you can bet it's gonna cost the user more money. Nvidia and indeed their shareholders will want similar gross margins. Even if they cut a little off the top of their margins, they aren't gonna give you that massive 7nm die for cheap.

I also agree with you on the last part. Buying an Xbox One X or PS4 Pro with the hardware they actually have inside is not a bad deal. Especially when those are on sale. I have seen the PS4 Pro as low as 250€ and the Xbox One X for 290€ with games. Like you said you can't build a PC with an RX580 for that (well maybe you could, but you really shouldn't/don't want to).
But that also "locks" you into their eco systems which is what they want.
So probably the XBX and PS5 could have good hardware for whatever price they release at, but some people expecting some sort of magic in terms of performance for a mass market 400-500$ product is just ungrounded wishful thinking
Like I said. Consoles offer simplicity and performance per dollar. It's a box that punches higher than its price class, and it plays FIFA and COD out of the box with minimal fuss. And to a lot of users that is perfectly fine.

lynux3

Hard to not think about The Order.

Oddspeak

I’ve said it before many times... the order had potential. They just screwed the pooch. A sequel could be tits ahoy good, if they fix the problems with the first but keep the same attention to detail.

the question now is... would this come to xbox as well? Ready at Dawn isn’t owned by Sony is it? And Sony don’t own the ip either? So, in that case, wouldn’t it make more financial sense to make this multiplatform...? Or did I get one of those wrong?

Food for thought?

I don't know if Sony owns the IP, but they did publish the first game. It may have ultimately been up to them to decide if they wanted to take another chance on it.

The Order definitely has potential to be really great. The first game was gorgeous and had a great setting but left a lot to be desired in terms of structure. It felt on-rails and offered little reason to play through it a second time. If I recall correctly, I think I beat it in one sitting without even meaning to.

If the sequel adopts a more involving structure that adds replay value, it could be very good. Some extra world flavor and lore would be cool, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom