• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will not give any numerical data, and I will explain the reason.

As you will understand, it is not information I can give. Not even any developer with two front fingers will tell you, it would mean being fired automatically and facing possible legal consequences. If a developer gives you that information, it's not very smart. On the other hand, when I registered, I wanted to make it very clear in my presentation message that I did not come here to give information that could commit me or someone.

Likewise, it is true that it doesn't matter what I can tell you, I mean that I would not get you out of doubt, because the information I may have is current. That is, it is not the definitive one (which does not mean that there is no such definitive information, I simply do not know it).

What I can say is that you are making films of biblical proportions and based on data that, if true, were 1 year ago in a given circumstance. But do you really believe that real data is filtered? And I understand that this is because of the lack of information, and if there is no information, then people make it up based on personal interests. And you have to understand that many people are interested in generating interest and debate, for example by publishing something and deleting it at the moment. Guys, we already have an age to know how this works.

First, what TF? The TF of Marketing? Or the effective TF? I understand that people need to know (and I need to explain, but I have to bite my nails) but what you really should care to know is that, in practice, one could have more TF than the other and give less performance. You should think less about TF and think more about machine balance.

This generation will NOT be the generation of the visual difference that makes you decide what to buy. It will be the generation of the games. Yes, one will be faster than another (but you will not notice it in practice). One will load the screen in 10 seconds and the other in 7 seconds. One will have a better sound than the other. One will run the game at 60fps and the other ... too. What will really matter will be the quality that development studies can achieve with their time and budget.

What you will have to do this generation is to think what game you want and what platform it is on. And if it is for multiplatform games, buy the cheapest one or where you have more friends, because you will not notice the difference (yes, there are people who are able to perceive a laser pointer on the moon, and others like to play 30cm from the TV trying to find out if the 4K is native or scaled by switching quickly between different video inputs to find out the difference to justify their purchase, but those people are not happy. Fortunately, those people will have it very difficult in the next generation... in multiplatform games).

(And yes, PC graphics cards will always be better. And also much more expensive and less exploited. What happens is that NOT all games are on PC. For those who have forgotten, this is the key, the games).

The new consoles will not disappoint. Not me, at least.

giphy.gif

I'm sorry, I don't have more time for now.

Cheers.
thanks for the through response . So games will be the differentiating factor which is great . i feel if one was 9TF and one was 12 TF they wouldn't be so close . so i m assuming its close than that which leads to null for multi-plats

FrozenFlame

Opening the microphone with a press of a button instead of repeat "Playstation" 3 times until it works is a lot more effective, beyond the fact that the console will know a lot more precisely which player is talking. So this implementation on the controller can be a game-changer. Of course, since will not be a default feature on all gamepads of the market, we'll see better use of it in exclusive games.

Dunno, i never felt the need to use voice commands with the ps4, the controller was more than enough. Although, i'm not saying it won't have interesting implementations. I remember playing Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory with a friend and being surprised when we found out that the enemies could hear (and react to) our voice chat.
Then again, it's nothing new, so we'll see what Sony can do with the AI assisting....

Oh, and perhaps we'll get a sequel to this:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Any seconds make a difference and your not those devs so you can't give a number. When Bloodborne was taking forever to load and thy patched it and reduced it by seconds ppl were elated lol.

We've already seen in the past what devs tht know hardware well can do shit Drive club had barely no loading and although those devs are defunct my point stands imagine what thy could do with the more powerful solution.. As opposed to other ganes in tht genre tht take longer to load.

loading times in bloodborne pre patch were upward of a minute, post patch about 20 seconds.

That’s entirely different to system A loading a game in 5 seconds and system B loading a game in 3.5. If you can’t wait that 1.5 seconds, then man, you have bigger issues than gaming.

Also, SSD doesn’t just help loading assets on a loading screen.

Reindeer

Again speak for yourself any second shaved off is a finite difference and matters to me. A few seconds in many things means a big difference.

But hey some ppl have their views 😁
I think you are in minority here who care about couple of seconds difference that you won't even feel since you don't own another console that you can put right next to it to compare. Seriously, a few seconds? 😁. You make it sound like your life depends on those few seconds and it steals a big chunk of your life away. But hey, if it makes such a difference to you then good for you.

The reality is that we have reached a point where the technical quality (specific "technical") of a videogame begins to be totally limited by time and budget rather than by the hardware itself. That is what now creates more frustration for a developer. Not the machine. The machine leftovers the quality that the moment requires. But it is really difficult for man to work that quality in the time that the industry requests. And this is truly alarming for medium / small studies.
thank you, i think this two lines summarize the whole thing
this is what my few friends who work in the industry have said to me repeatedly in the past years 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
I think you are in minority here who care about couple of seconds difference that you won't even feel since you don't own another console that you can put right next to it to compare. Seriously, a few seconds? 😁. You make it sound like your life depends on those few seconds and it steals a big chunk of your life away. But hey, if it makes such a difference to you then good for you.

Right, I think your speaking for the rest without knowing. Anything to push the narrative 👀👌

But u know some ppl always have to be right and know it all lol

I'll end on tht note though. Shaving off any amount of time off loading doesn't matter now lol 😂 😂 😂 smh

Last edited:

pawel86ck

Banned

As you will understand, it is not information I can give. Not even any developer with two front fingers will tell you, it would mean being fired automatically and facing possible legal consequences. If a developer gives you that information, it's not very smart. On the other hand, when I registered, I wanted to make it very clear in my presentation message that I did not come here to give information that could commit me or someone.

Likewise, it is true that it doesn't matter what I can tell you, I mean that I would not get you out of doubt, because the information I may have is current. That is, it is not the definitive one (which does not mean that there is no such definitive information, I simply do not know it).

What I can say is that you are making films of biblical proportions and based on data that, if true, were 1 year ago in a given circumstance. But do you really believe that real data is filtered? And I understand that this is because of the lack of information, and if there is no information, then people make it up based on personal interests. And you have to understand that many people are interested in generating interest and debate, for example by publishing something and deleting it at the moment. Guys, we already have an age to know how this works.

First, what TF? The TF of Marketing? Or the effective TF? I understand that people need to know (and I need to explain, but I have to bite my nails) but what you really should care to know is that, in practice, one could have more TF than the other and give less performance. You should think less about TF and think more about machine balance.

This generation will NOT be the generation of the visual difference that makes you decide what to buy. It will be the generation of the games. Yes, one will be faster than another (but you will not notice it in practice). One will load the screen in 10 seconds and the other in 7 seconds. One will have a better sound than the other. One will run the game at 60fps and the other ... too. What will really matter will be the quality that development studies can achieve with their time and budget.

What you will have to do this generation is to think what game you want and what platform it is on. And if it is for multiplatform games, buy the cheapest one or where you have more friends, because you will not notice the difference (yes, there are people who are able to perceive a laser pointer on the moon, and others like to play 30cm from the TV trying to find out if the 4K is native or scaled by switching quickly between different video inputs to find out the difference to justify their purchase, but those people are not happy. Fortunately, those people will have it very difficult in the next generation... in multiplatform games).

(And yes, PC graphics cards will always be better. And also much more expensive and less exploited. What happens is that NOT all games are on PC. For those who have forgotten, this is the key, the games).

giphy.gif

Cheers.
Finally a legit insider. Dont worry, you will not go to jail :messenger_grinning_sweat: , so just tell us everything. I'm in 12TF team for both XSX and PS5, and I just want to know (based on your knowledge) if I should temper my expectatons or not? I'm not asking for much.

Butz

Banned
At hight data workloads, nvme is vastly superior, has better lower latency, and smaller form factor.

I get that, I'm simply saying you are looking at, maybe, a 2-3 second difference, so what does it matter? It's so unimportant and you'll be happy with both after playing on consoles with slow HDDs.

Last edited:

BGs

Industry Professional
A lot of new “insiders” to nothing to add :D

Quickly.

There is nothing more to add than what has been said by any developer who has commented. At the beginning of the year PS5 was still the one that offered the best performance. I don't know if that has changed with the new Devkits, I don't have access to that information at this time and personally I think that (theoretically) I won't have physical access until early summer, for my part. And I don't like to talk about what I haven't personally experienced. I can say that he says "X" and he says "Y", but since the opinion is so different I prefer not to internalize this information.

If you want I invent data, or if you want I tell you a number ... 13.8 (and I start the speculative machinery). But I don't think it's right.

Now what will not let you sleep will be to think if I have given you a false number ... or maybe not (just kidding).

Do you understand where I want to go? (I don't know if this expression is used in English).

Now I really have to go, until next time.

Reindeer

The reality is that we have reached a point where the technical quality (specific "technical") of a videogame begins to be totally limited by time and budget rather than by the hardware itself. That is what now creates more frustration for a developer. Not the machine. The machine leftovers the quality that the moment requires. But it is really difficult for man to work that quality in the time that the industry requests. And this is truly alarming for medium / small studies.
But aren't tools to create games also getting much more advanced and it's easier to develop games than it was before? Nowadays you got teams of 20-30 people creating games like Hellblade.

giphy.gif

Cheers.

You're awesome mate! I'm far more interested in what you just told us than comparing specs on paper.

I just wanted to know if one will have a leg-up for third party games.

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
However again with multiple dev kits in the wild for either side, saying A is better than B is still a silly thing, so let’s all reserve judgement. For now.

Quickly.

There is nothing more to add than what has been said by any developer who has commented. At the beginning of the year PS5 was still the one that offered the best performance. I don't know if that has changed with the new Devkits, I don't have access to that information at this time and personally I think that (theoretically) I won't have physical access until early summer, for my part. And I don't like to talk about what I haven't personally experienced. I can say that he says "X" and he says "Y", but since the opinion is so different I prefer not to internalize this information.

If you want I invent data, or if you want I tell you a number ... 13.8 (and I start the speculative machinery). But I don't think it's right.

Now what will not let you sleep will be to think if I have given you a false number ... or maybe not (just kidding).

Do you understand where I want to go? (I don't know if this expression is used in English).

at the beginig of the year, you mean 3 weeks ago PS5 had performance edge ?

Reindeer

Right, I think your speaking for the rest without knowing. Anything to push the narrative 👀👌

But u know some ppl always have to be right and know it all lol

I'll end on tht note though. Shaving off any amount of time off loading doesn't matter now lol 😂 😂 😂 smh
You are literally making sound like I'm saying something bogus about couple of seconds being overlooked by overwhelming majority of gamers out there. You trying to spin this into a big deal just because you and a few others care about that insignificant difference. Seriously, like someone here already said, if that tiny difference matter to you that much than you got way bigger issues in gaming and life in general.

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
Bragging rights and bias. IF PS5 ends up less powerful, its 'faster' SSD will sufddenly become a much more desirable factor.
In fact i'd laugh my arse off if the Xbox SSD ended up being faster, just to see the backpedling.

There should be zero doubts the PS5 SSD is faster. The question is whether will it be worth the costs since 95% of games will be made with drives on PC and series x in mind. With building a console its always give and take for components. What was given up for this SSD. Will it kill any chances at future users expansion of drive space which would suck. There are lots of unknowns at this point.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Actually that’s a very good question, because if too much focus is put on the ps5 SSD and its better than anything on the market, how will users upgrade? I mean 1tb is shit tier NOW, never mind in a few years. So will they be propriety like the old 360 ones, and cost a fortune?

If games are built around such a dick enhancing fast SSD, then they surely won’t allow you to just stick a poor man slower than paint drying SX speed SSDi there.

This is why sometimes, doing this has it’s
drawbacks.

martino

There should be zero doubts the PS5 SSD is faster. The question is whether will it be worth the costs since 95% of games will be made with drives on PC and series x in mind. With building a console its always give and take for components. What was given up for this SSD. Will it kill any chances at future users expansion of drive space which would suck. There are lots of unknowns at this point.

it's good to be able to stream more assets in/out at amazing speed...
but how much more assets will we be able to display/interact with in a 33ms frame time budget with next gen cpu+gpu ?
i don't think it will be 40x more.

Last edited:

Gediminas

Banned
Quickly.

how far in development is your project? because i like to know, not what the Tflops are, but more about performance? do you use RT? what are FPS? and in what resolution?

Shmunter

It’s a tricky proposition, but with some luck Sony will remain big enough and influential enough to usher in their sku as the baseline. This is how you advance the sector.

PC users will likely see pci ssd as a common option and even gfx cards with ssd on board. XbX May be close enough to see minimal difference.

Come too far under the baseline, quality will suffer as usual.

xool

As an Xbox fan, who thinks the Xbox one controller is amazing compared to the PS4 one, I can honestly say that the fact they have done nothing more than add a bloody share button to the SX controller is embarrassing. The only other possible things it *may* have are usb-c connection on the pad, which is neither here nor there, and a built in battery, which is 50/50 on if anybody even wants it. Compared to the ps5 controller, which had made really big changes (built in mic, no light, better i assume battery, new sticks, new triggers, resistive buttons and triggers that can be coded per game, etc etc) it’s had barely nothing done to it other than it got a tiny bit smaller...?

Seems no contest who did more there.
Really not feeling the same.

The DS4 is a good controller with a ton of useless gimmicks. Internal speaker, light bar, motion control, touchpad - none of these things are any real use in game. Even 1st party Sony devs didn't use most of these features.

Showing restraint is a good thing. All Xbox needs is a *really* good D-pad and they're done.

Also resistive buttons? you sure - PS2 had these and nobody used them, got dropped by PS3 (they were cool - but again only 2 games I had used them ..)

Shmunter

Actually that’s a very good question, because if too much focus is put on the ps5 SSD and its better than anything on the market, how will users upgrade? I mean 1tb is shit tier NOW, never mind in a few years. So will they be propriety like the old 360 ones, and cost a fortune?

If games are built around such a dick enhancing fast SSD, then they surely won’t allow you to just stick a poor man slower than paint drying SX speed SSDi there.

This is why sometimes, doing this has it’s
drawbacks.
The ssd will likely be the scratch pad, like a 3rd tier of ram. Games can sit on regular large storage and copied over on demand under the scenes.

BGs

Industry Professional
But aren't tools to create games also getting much more advanced and it's easier to develop games than it was before? Nowadays you got teams of 20-30 people creating games like Hellblade.

(Eating)

Yes, obviously, the tools improve. But obviously, the volume of work is also increased.

And on the other hand, tools don't always give you the solution to all your possible creative aspirations.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Really not feeling the same.

The DS4 is a good controller with a ton of useless gimmicks. Internal speaker, light bar, motion control, touchpad - none of these things are any real use in game. Even 1st party Sony devs didn't use most of these features.

Showing restraint is a good thing. All Xbox needs is a *really* good D-pad and they're done.

Also resistive buttons? you sure - PS2 had these and nobody used them, got dropped by PS3 (they were cool - but again only 2 games I had used them ..)

oh lord, don’t get me started on the dpad... how is it so fucking hard to make a dpad when the snes had the perfect one decades ago...

As for resistive touch I’m talking buttons that push back, for example the ps5 triggers will allow you to shoot, and then until the next shot is ready you can’t press the trigger down again at all(example)

Last edited:

Reindeer

Yep, games advance, but so do the tools....common sense, it’s all software

Exactly, even one person can create such wonderful levels in few hours. A lot of the time it's a lack of talent that results in poor games and visuals rather than anything else, unless you are trying to create a AAA experience which would require more workforce and time.

Last edited:

giphy.gif

Cheers.

This is actually the best post on here in a while. Gives me lots of info without being explicit.

My interpretation from it, and this is only my interpretation, is this:

PS5 higher tflops
PS5 faster SSD
PS5 better sound (as Cerny mentioned this feature before)

BUT we wont notice the difference. So it'll be about the games, which is where PS5 >>>>>>> Xbox hard.

☻☻☻☻☻☻

xool

oh lord, don’t get me started on the dpad... how is it so fucking hard to make a dpad when the snes had the perfect one decades ago...

mad for resistive touch I’m talking buttons that push back, for example the ps5 triggers will allow you to shoot, and then until the next shot is ready you can’t press the trigger down again at all(example)
Oh right - yeah - that could be cool -I was thinking high resistance until 80% depressed, then 0 resistance, like manually cocking a gun with the 'trigger'. Also the improved rumble(haptics) could be good .. though I'm not sure I want feedback from every step I made.

ethomaz

Banned
This is actually the best post on here in a while. Gives me lots of info without being explicit.

My interpretation from it, and this is only my interpretation, is this:

PS5 higher tflops
PS5 faster SSD
PS5 better sound (as Cerny mentioned this feature before)

BUT we wont notice the difference. So it'll be about the games, which is where PS5 >>>>>>> Xbox hard.

☻☻☻☻☻☻
I understood a bit different.

X has more TFLOPS
PS5 has better performance

Quickly.

I kinda of get your point.

But I think that is more to "normal" consumers.
We here are more the "enthusiastic" or "hardcore" part of the console base and so we like to talk about these technical things (you see 806 pages of that).
So these that are discussing in this thread what is more important is not the games itself or what they will archive but the discussion of the hardware specs between the two machines.

For games we will have another thread (God of War 2 thread, etc).

So we are curiosos and want to know more about these consoles because for now what they shared looks just like PR spin.

Last edited:

Zefros

Neo Member
Bragging rights and bias. IF PS5 ends up less powerful, its 'faster' SSD will sufddenly become a much more desirable factor.
In fact i'd laugh my arse off if the Xbox SSD ended up being faster, just to see the backpedling.

it goes both ways tough. i'm getting both consoles, but there are people who are bragging about xbox being more powerful. what if ps5 is both faster and has faster SSD? what will you do then?

I hope they both are equallly powerful myself, wheter it's 10 tf, 11 tf or 12 tf, both deliver some amazing games and are superfast.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Could be but in another post our good sir said PS5 had higher tflops at the start of the year, which was only few weeks back so...

PS5 might be about to deliver an almighty smackdown 😂
He said performance not TFLOPS, no?

"At the beginning of the year PS5 was still the one that offered the best performance"

And apparently lower clocked CPU, so how does it perform better with worse CPU and GPU?
CPU / GPU overhead are more related with how good the API is then the actual clock of the CPU.
A software layer can use more CPU in a machine than another to do exactly same thing.
That is why a DevKit could have different performance with the same hardware and there is updates for the devkit.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

Banned
What *I* got is what almost every other credible insider was talking about.

Both systems will enjoy a solid specswise hardware, and they're more or less equal, making this a question of which console exclisives you prefer, where your gaming pals will prefer to play, and whether you prefer buying all your games at solid discounts after a while or subscribing to a game pass instead and play almost everything without actually owning anything.

I'm content. Thanks, BGs!

RaySoft

yea i have no idea and dont fucking give me SSD as reason why a weaker gpu would outperform a stronger GPU .lol
You could have all the tflops in the world at your disposal, but that wouldn't mean much if your busses and bandwith isn't scaled along with it. If you have a huge hungry monster to feed, you rly need a bigger meatwagon to feed it with.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
If he’s developing a game for both systems, then that would also lend itself to what others have said: Third parties at this stage still haven’t gotten final dev kits, and it’s annoying developers.

That would explain a lot on the lower SX performance and also on the whole confusion as to why everybody is saying different things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom