• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jtibh

Banned
Just had my daily dose of dooms day news about the developments of the corona virus.
If it continues as it does atm and if dooms day predictions are accurate with estimated 180 million infected by end of february we can all say good bye to next gen for a while not that anyone will even think about it while we have more serious business to take care off.

Global markets for sure will be affected as it already started with china suspending shipments of phones to russia for at least 2 weeks.

Us bans flights entering from china except 7 cities and so on.

Chinese cities on lock down mean for sure no ones working and manufacturing is on halt.
I am no expert about whos manufacturing in wuhan but regardless we already see economic impacts and again if this gets worse who knows how this will play out.

Last edited:
Just a Q, I assume TF is just the raw compute power and doesn’t measure potential chip features such as RT?

Perhaps a lower TF GPU in certain specific scenarios e.g. RT could perform better than the higher TF GPU rendering the equivalent scene??

This could explain the disconnect between claims of less TF in regards to PS5 vs claims PS5 is performing faster Than XsX?? Can’t imagine it being down to the SSD in these early stages.

It's possible, but the chances of this being consistent in any meaningful way is pretty much non-existent because these two consoles are almost guaranteed to be packing GPUs of similar generation and rough capabilities. So if one has a notably higher TF number that one will always win in overall game performance metrics. Areas where the weaker one may win won't be nearly as consistent enough to change which one is likely to have superior fps most of the time or the better resolution and/or graphics settings.

Either way, both consoles are going to be beasts. That's what always gets lost in these spec anticipation threads. The PS5 will be a beast. Xbox Series X will be a beast. Look at what devs accomplished on base PS4 and xbox one. And now we're giving these same devs ryzen 8 core 16 thread cpus and north of 9TF of GPU power on newer RDNA architecture? Yea, we'll all be feasting lol.

Reindeer

Just had my daily dose of dooms day news about the developments of the corona virus.
If it continues as it does atm and if dooms day predictions are accurate with estimated 180 million infected by end of february we can all say good bye to next gen for a while not that anyone will even think about it while we have more serious business to take care off.

Global markets for sure will be affected as it already started with china suspending shipments of phones to russia for at least 2 weeks.

Chinese cities on lock down mean for sure no ones working and manufacturing is on halt.
I am no expert about whos manufacturing in wuhan but regardless we already see economic impacts and again if this gets worse who knows how this will play out.
180 million? I think you pushing it there.

Important perspective being lost. This shit looks world ending, not going to lie. Shit looks scary if you pay attention to the news on it.

If PS5 ends up being 10 Tflops that would be around 12.5 PS4 Tflops which is a really nice upgrade. Then you factor in the huge CPU upgrade and SSD and I can only imagine how amazing 1st party PS5 titles will be. I don't think some people realize how much a leap we will be getting.

I did a rough calculation that I think makes sense, and I see the potential as much better than that.

AMD has confirmed the 9.7TF max 5700xt outperforms the 13.8TF vega 64 by 14%

Add the percentage difference in tf between the top end numbers for both cards + the additional 14% performance advantage over Vega 64, and you get an RX 5700XT operating like a 15.7TF GCN card. That's how much more efficient this new architecture is.

So a 10TF PS5 is something I see more in the range of a 16TF Vega GCN equivalent card. That's ultimately where performance will end up for me. it would be equivalent to something like that in performance when all is said and done. Look at the differences in Vega 64 and RX 5700Xt in terms of TF and consider that RX 5700XT beasts vega 64 by 14%. That's huge. So even at 10TF PS5 is being heavily understated.

Reindeer

I did a rough calculation that I think makes sense, and I see the potential as much better than that.

AMD has confirmed the 9.7TF max 5700xt outperforms the 13.8TF vega 64 by 14%

Add the percentage difference in tf between the top end numbers for both cards + the additional 14% performance advantage over Vega 64, and you get an RX 5700XT operating like a 15.7TF GCN card. That's how much more efficient this new architecture is.

So a 10TF PS5 is something I see more in the range of a 16TF Vega GCN equivalent card. That's ultimately where performance will end up for me. it would be equivalent to something like that in performance when all is said and done. Look at the differences in Vega 64 and RX 5700Xt in terms of TF and consider that RX 5700XT beasts vega 64 by 14%. That's huge. So even at 10TF PS5 is being heavily understated.
Vega64 is a really baf example to use, it was a terrible card that seriously underperformed for the amount of tflops it had.

SSfox

Hi everyone,

I know nobody knows, but when do you think PS5 Event will be announce?

I though End Jan/ Early Feb, but now i'm thinking about Mid February.

Jtibh

Banned
You people watch too many zombie TV series.
Well the situation is very bad. Lot of people are stranded due to lock down and cant get home.
All i am saying is this will have a global impact on the economy.
Either price hikes or huge shortages of supply etc.
That part already started.

We got 3 planes that landed on toronto from there and already have 3 confirmed cases.
Not gonna lie , going to superstore and seeing all the asian people i was holding my breath walking by them.
Call me racist if you like.

Jtibh

Banned
That means we're prepared. When the the zombie apocalypse comes around, you'll be praying you end up with people who've seen all the big zombie flicks. I know I'm immediately going to find woody harrelson and Bill Murray's house. :)
Yeah and i can only hope i run into some horny blondie that just wants cock for days.
And hope blondie has lots of horny blondie friends who want the same.
My body is ready.

Reindeer

Well the situation is very bad. Lot of people are stranded due to lock down and cant get home.

We got 3 planes that landed on toronto from there and already have 3 confirmed cases.
Not gonna lie , going to superstore and seeing all the asian people i was holding my breath walking by them.
Caring for your life is not racist lol.

It's fucked up, but I don't think you mean it in a racist fashion. I know others who are just plain afraid in a similar fashion but don't mean anything by it. People are literally just afraid for their lives.

Jtibh

Banned
It's fucked up, but I don't think you mean it in a racist fashion. I know others who are just plain afraid in a similar fashion but don't mean anything by it. People are literally just afraid for their lives.
No do not mean it in a racist fashion.
Its just survival instincts.
I feel bad for all affected by this and my heart goes out to them.

11 months before the launch of PS4 and Xbox One (Dec 2012), Kotaku posted this as what the insiders were saying about both consoles.

"We've also heard that Durango is roughly as graphically capable as the second-most powerful PC on the market today, which, yes, is quite the indirect statement. The chatter we hear is that Durango and Orbis are close in power to each other or at least both in the same league past the current gen."

Well, both are close in power to each other. Hmm, seems like we have been hearing the same thing this time around.

"If you talk to people about the next-gen games at, oh, I don't know, a major gaming trade show or a major gaming awards show, the persistent impression given is that these new systems will be powerful.

The vibe I get when I hear about Durango is that Microsoft is on the mark. Sony appears to inspire less confidence"

Hmm, so devs were saying that the Xbox was the better console. Wow.

It was reported by insiders in April 2012 (around the same time period before launch that the first rumours of the PS5 being 13tflops),

"Microsoft's next-gen console is expected to pack two GPUs from the AMD 7000 series. Unlike the normal dual-PC setup where the two chips take turns to draw lines of the same objects, the Xbox 720's GPUs should be able to work independently, drawing different objects simultaneously. Besides, the processor unit consists of six cores, one of which is dedicated to the Kinect and the other for the operating system.

On the other hand, the PS4 packs quite a punch featuring AMD's A8-3850 - a quad-core 2.9GHz processor with an integrated APU graphics chip. In addition, the console adds a dedicated GPU chip - AMD Radeon HD 7670 - with Direct X 11 capability. The GPU clocks at 1GHz and includes 1GB VRAM. The A8-3850 processor is capable of running games at lower resolutions using the integrated APU and without the aid of a dedicated GPU. Thus, this special capability of the processor saves power and prolongs battery life of the console. Packing an AMDx64 CPU and an AMD Southern Island GPU, the PS4 is poised to deliver a whopping resolution of up to 4096x2160 pixels and enable playing 3D games in 1080p; the PS3 can only play them at 720p.

Memory

The Xbox 720 is expected to ship with massive 2GB DDR3 RAM in comparison to just 512MB found in the Xbox 360. In contrast, the PS3 includes 256MB of XDR RAM clocked at an amazing 3.2GHz, which suggests the PS4 is likely to ship with 1GB of XDR2 RAM with bandwidth improvements and reduced latency times. XDR2 is rated to deliver double the CPU speed, so expect the clock speeds on the new PlayStation console to shoot up from 6.4GHz to 7.6GHz. Further, the RAM capacity will be upgradeable up to 4GB. GDDR6 is more likely to be the future RAM technology, as it is much cheaper and faster than its XDR2 counterpart."

Holy shitballs Batman, no wonder those fellas were trying to find the second GPU in the power brick. I mean, the insiders said it had one. And isnt it funny to hear the same stories about PS5 having a second GPU now. My how history repeats.

In May 2012, around the same time period before launch that insiders claim of PS5 being more powerful than XSX, this came out from so called insiders

"Xbox World Magazine's sources say the Xbox 720 will contain an 16-core IBM PowerPC CPU, which for a game console is ridiculous. The Xbox 360 already delivers some stunning visuals with it's 3-core CPU -- it's almost impossible to imagine what games on a system with a 16-core CPU would look like. AMD launched the first 16-core CPU last year via their Bulldozer line-up, though unfortunately there are no games (yet) that take advantage of the processing power."

Damm, Xbox One would have nailed those frame rate issues with its 16 Core Bulldozer CPU.

In November 2012 it was rumoured by insiders that the PS4 could have 16gbs of RAM.

"According to the report, the PS4 dev kits that game studios are currently working with pack an AMD A10 APU (a combo CPU/GPU), between 8GB and 16GB of RAM, 256GB of storage and a Blu-ray drive,

Also part of the package is standard ethernet, HDMI and Wi-Fi capabilities.

This in-development version of the PlayStation 4's hardware (reportedly codenamed "Orbis") is supposedly capable of running video games in 1080p in full 3D and at 60 frames per second without slowdown, something current gaming hardware is simply not capable of."

Nice. 1080P, full 60fps without any slowdowns. That's crazy nice. No way those insiders could be wrong about that. I mean, it's only 12 months before launch.

So until we had the VGleaks hacked specs released all those insiders didn't know shit from clay.
Why people are so eager to blindly believe what these people say is mind boggling.

Kagey K

Banned
I’ve never seen a thirstier group of people in my life.

I get that speculation is fun and all of that, but some of the bullshit you have all been gobbling up like chum is fucking funny.

(PS I don’t know anything except to move out of the way when someone is pissing and they tell me it’s raining)

ZywyPL

Banned
I think most of us would be surprised is one was more significantly powerful than the other unless MS was willing to eat up the costs. MS will not want to launch more expensive than PS5 imo.

Yup, as history shows over and over again, 100 bucks is a shitloads of money for the end consumer, and there needs to be a really, really damn strong argument for paying such extra, because average Joes don't care whether it's 9TF vs 12TF, 16GB RAM vs 24, and so on, people who pay for the on-paper specs are the PC guys, whereas people who choose consoles pay for the actual on-screen results, so if both consoles will do 4K then what would be the justification for extra 100$?

And even looking at Pro/X1X vs base consoles, resolution jump alone isn't that great of a deal either, if people can save 100-150$ for the cost of playing in FHD on base PS4/X1S they don't really care.

Both consoles will have SSD, so again, one being faster than the other doesn't mean anything, 2TB vs 1 TB, still, most people would think to themselves 1TB is enough and that they will either uninstall games they don't play anymore or will upgrade the drive some time later.

SSD vs HDD, now that would be an argument, but as we already know this isn't the case with upcoming consoles.

Bottom line is, whenever people line themselves in the queue with their hard earned cash, they will find infinite arguments for NOT spending those extra 100-150$.

30FPS vs 60, now that would be a worthy upgrade, that's something people would actually be able to experience with their own eyes when going in to the stores and looking at the same titles running on different consoles.

Which still, the manufacturers already use all those fake 4K60 trailers whenever possible, I remember seeing the PS4 games montage advertising the Pro model one day, everything in native, razor sharp 4K and buttery-smooth 60FPS, and I was like, damn, I wanna get the Pro RIGHT NOW! But after a second thought I was like - wait, hold on for a fucking second here - none of those games runs in 60FPS, wtf Sony? And none of those games are in real 4K either, half of the games they are showing isn't even patched for the Pro and still runs in FHD, WTF?!? So lucky for me, being tech-savvy saved me 400$ right there, but how many average Joes can get easily mislead/manipulated like that, while seeing lower proce of the console?

But hey, at the end of the day, it's the manufacturers interest to design and build a reasonable and balanced console, if they'll go for overpowered and/or overpriced system, that's their own fault.

Last edited:

Fitzchiv

[*]Well the situation is very bad. Lot of people are stranded due to lock down and cant get home.

Probably more of an idiot than racist, relax.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Pinch of coke.

img_5973-464.jpg

this is the first photo of the actual ps5 interface, it should be the final version, I cant tell you more

Mass Shift

And all of what I have said COMPLETELY LINES UP WITH EVERY SINGLE THING KLEEGAMEFAN HAVE SAID. There is no 2 ways around it.

It's not what he's said, it's what he hasn't said. He NEVER committed to-

CU count
Clock Speeds
Memory Allocation
Never Specified the type of RT, Cores or otherwise. (In fact he flip flopped on that point for a bit)

IMO these are the most ESSENTIAL specs that he refused to share. If you go back and read his posts you will see a set of carefully laid out commentaries that are juicy enough to keep his believers satisfied, yet vague enough to absolve himself of misleading people.

There's alot of "Yup" and "Exactly" when answering questions but no commitment to hard numbers. I won't be upset if he turns out to be wrong, I was in the 8-9TF zone before he gassed everybody up to his non-declared double digit specifications.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
So until we had the VGleaks hacked specs released all those insiders didn't know shit from clay.
Why people are so eager to blindly believe what these people say is mind boggling.

People label them as rumors for a reason.

We know if insiders were saying the Xbox Series X was more powerful, you wouldn't go through all of this trouble to discredit them.

People are going to wait regardless and I'm sure you're not going to sit here for hours telling people how you were wrong and you were sorry for discrediting them if PS5 ends up being on par or more powerful than the Xbox Series X.

benzy

11 months before the launch of PS4 and Xbox One (Dec 2012), Kotaku posted this as what the insiders were saying about both consoles.

"We've also heard that Durango is roughly as graphically capable as the second-most powerful PC on the market today, which, yes, is quite the indirect statement. The chatter we hear is that Durango and Orbis are close in power to each other or at least both in the same league past the current gen."

Well, both are close in power to each other. Hmm, seems like we have been hearing the same thing this time around.

"If you talk to people about the next-gen games at, oh, I don't know, a major gaming trade show or a major gaming awards show, the persistent impression given is that these new systems will be powerful.

The vibe I get when I hear about Durango is that Microsoft is on the mark. Sony appears to inspire less confidence"

Hmm, so devs were saying that the Xbox was the better console. Wow.

It was reported by insiders in April 2012 (around the same time period before launch that the first rumours of the PS5 being 13tflops),

"Microsoft's next-gen console is expected to pack two GPUs from the AMD 7000 series. Unlike the normal dual-PC setup where the two chips take turns to draw lines of the same objects, the Xbox 720's GPUs should be able to work independently, drawing different objects simultaneously. Besides, the processor unit consists of six cores, one of which is dedicated to the Kinect and the other for the operating system.

On the other hand, the PS4 packs quite a punch featuring AMD's A8-3850 - a quad-core 2.9GHz processor with an integrated APU graphics chip. In addition, the console adds a dedicated GPU chip - AMD Radeon HD 7670 - with Direct X 11 capability. The GPU clocks at 1GHz and includes 1GB VRAM. The A8-3850 processor is capable of running games at lower resolutions using the integrated APU and without the aid of a dedicated GPU. Thus, this special capability of the processor saves power and prolongs battery life of the console. Packing an AMDx64 CPU and an AMD Southern Island GPU, the PS4 is poised to deliver a whopping resolution of up to 4096x2160 pixels and enable playing 3D games in 1080p; the PS3 can only play them at 720p.

Memory

The Xbox 720 is expected to ship with massive 2GB DDR3 RAM in comparison to just 512MB found in the Xbox 360. In contrast, the PS3 includes 256MB of XDR RAM clocked at an amazing 3.2GHz, which suggests the PS4 is likely to ship with 1GB of XDR2 RAM with bandwidth improvements and reduced latency times. XDR2 is rated to deliver double the CPU speed, so expect the clock speeds on the new PlayStation console to shoot up from 6.4GHz to 7.6GHz. Further, the RAM capacity will be upgradeable up to 4GB. GDDR6 is more likely to be the future RAM technology, as it is much cheaper and faster than its XDR2 counterpart."

Holy shitballs Batman, no wonder those fellas were trying to find the second GPU in the power brick. I mean, the insiders said it had one. And isnt it funny to hear the same stories about PS5 having a second GPU now. My how history repeats.

In May 2012, around the same time period before launch that insiders claim of PS5 being more powerful than XSX, this came out from so called insiders

"Xbox World Magazine's sources say the Xbox 720 will contain an 16-core IBM PowerPC CPU, which for a game console is ridiculous. The Xbox 360 already delivers some stunning visuals with it's 3-core CPU -- it's almost impossible to imagine what games on a system with a 16-core CPU would look like. AMD launched the first 16-core CPU last year via their Bulldozer line-up, though unfortunately there are no games (yet) that take advantage of the processing power."

Damm, Xbox One would have nailed those frame rate issues with its 16 Core Bulldozer CPU.

In November 2012 it was rumoured by insiders that the PS4 could have 16gbs of RAM.

"According to the report, the PS4 dev kits that game studios are currently working with pack an AMD A10 APU (a combo CPU/GPU), between 8GB and 16GB of RAM, 256GB of storage and a Blu-ray drive,

Also part of the package is standard ethernet, HDMI and Wi-Fi capabilities.

This in-development version of the PlayStation 4's hardware (reportedly codenamed "Orbis") is supposedly capable of running video games in 1080p in full 3D and at 60 frames per second without slowdown, something current gaming hardware is simply not capable of."

Nice. 1080P, full 60fps without any slowdowns. That's crazy nice. No way those insiders could be wrong about that. I mean, it's only 12 months before launch.

you just chose old leaks that fit your narrative of insiders being wrong while omitting the ones that were either close or dead on correct. :messenger_grinning_squinting:

Jan 2013, 10 months before launch and before any reveal, sources from devs talking just like today. Besides MS making last minute clock tweaks to gain .1 TF, it’s pretty much exact specs as final hardware.

Developer sources, speaking after meetings at CES, have told VG247 that the next PlayStation, codenamed Orbis, will have a run-capability of 1.84 teraflops. Conversely, the next Xbox, codenamed Durango, will be able to achieve 1.23 teraflops.

June 2012, PS4 dev kit spec from their own source. Exact same GPU specs as final.

GPU

• AMD R10x series GPU @ 800 MHz (Tahiti)
  • aggregate 10x RSX performance, 1.84 TFlopS
  • 18 compute units, focus on fine grained compute & tessellation

Last edited:

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Again that data is based on the pace the virus spreads.
50 million on lockdown is no small number.
And again i call this dooms day prediction
It spreads at a stable 2.000 cases per day. There is no exponential growth to be found, it's completely linear. (even slowing down) Which is to be expected with the lockdown. The 14 days of incubation show the actual numbers, which means that by the end of the lockdown there will be around 25.000 infections in China and around 500 deaths. And that's about it. During the same time, the ordinary flu will have killed 1.000 people in Germany. Just to show the relations.

hemo memo

Gold Member

Well, at least we now know that “insiders” information was wrong/fake and it’s better to just wait for actual news or respected journalists leaks and not anonymous trolls “insiders”

People label them as rumors for a reason.

We know if insiders were saying the Xbox Series X was more powerful, you wouldn't go through all of this trouble to discredit them.

People are going to wait regardless and I'm sure you're not going to sit here for hours telling people how you were wrong and you were sorry for discrediting them if PS5 ends up being on par or more powerful than the Xbox Series X.
Actually I would, because last time I remember them saying the new Xbox was more powerful than the PS4, when it wasn't.

The difference in heat between something that's running 12tf compared to something that's running 10tf is quite large, large enough that, actually, you may just be able to get that into a smaller form factor. But, the difference in power for lets say a single TF isn''t big enough to make any real difference. The trouble is that power is exponential when used against rendering. As you increase fidelity, you also increase the jump needed for "the next step". So, while these consoles will BOTH present a serious upgrade over current gen, that's because the power difference is large. But for the PS5 to look miles better than the Series X, you will be looking for the SX to be for example 10tf, and the PS5 to be 13tf, at least. But that's a MASSIVE gap in capability, to the point of not being a logical conclusion.

That's why I never really bought into the 12tf xbox vs the 9tf PS5, because that's one hell of a huge jump. The actual gap will be MUCH, much smaller. But then, the rumours were also that the SX would be more expensive, and we already know its not a normal form factor.

Its another one of those "We still don't know enough, so lets just chat" things. But I would be surprised a massive deal if theres a massive difference in power between the two.
I don't believe he has a ignore list, put it on Github or it doesn't exist!

Don't stop Tommy we need more, why 3 devkits? What are the differences?
PS: don't f***ck us sideways like that tscs dude, we are still aching.
1st party devkit
2nd party devkit
3rd party devkit.

you just chose old leaks that fit your narrative of insiders being wrong while omitting the ones that were either close or dead on correct. :messenger_grinning_squinting:

Jan 2013, 10 months before launch and before any reveal, sources from devs talking just like today.

June 2012, PS4 dev kit spec from their own source

Did you read my post? I said until we got the VGleaks including hacked diagrams etc, which is just what you posted.
Until we got that VGleaks the rumours from insiders was absolute garbage.

Gudji

If phil spencer has the apu fabricated then why dont we have concrete leaks??

Because no dev is going to risk its job to give spec sheets, same with PS5 to be honest.

The majority of devs probably don't even know what's inside the devkits, other than higher ups inside studios ofc.

We got PS4 and XBO leaks at the beginning of 2013 because there was that hacker (SuperDAE) that leaked shit to the internet. This isn't the case this time around.

If nothing gets announced before GDC don't expect any proper leaks.

benzy

Did you read my post? I said until we got the VGleaks including hacked diagrams etc, which is just what you posted.
Until we got that VGleaks the rumours from insiders was absolute garbage.

did you even read the quotes? The sources came from devs leaking info, not a hack. Nothing in the vgleak article even mentions or shows anything about hacks.

Our source claims that the final specs should be 10x powerful than PS3, due to this info has got 10 months.

Read more http://vgleaks.com/world-exclusive-ps4-in-deep-first-specs/

edit - I actually just found that vgleak article with diagrams which is completely different from the vgleak dev kit leak I posted, still no mention of hacks.

Also your diagram article came out in Jan 28 2013, a week after the vg247 leak I posted dated Jan 17 2013 where devs spilled the beans on hardware specs, and way after the vgleak PS4 dev kit spec leak in 2012.

What was this about insiders being wrong?

Last edited:
Klee said last week of feb (maybe feb 25th for 25th year anniversary of ps)so we still have some hope for feb but it’s starting to look abit grim lol

husomc

It spreads at a stable 2.000 cases per day. There is no exponential growth to be found, it's completely linear. (even slowing down) Which is to be expected with the lockdown. The 14 days of incubation show the actual numbers, which means that by the end of the lockdown there will be around 25.000 infections in China and around 500 deaths. And that's about it. During the same time, the ordinary flu will have killed 1.000 people in Germany. Just to show the relations.
take a look at the death rate. It's currently at 250+ dead
Total-Death-Toll-Over-Time-of-the-Wuhan-Coronavirus-3.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom