• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigol

So apparently Sony’ system has a bill of materials of barely 450$ , possibly slightly lower but close to 450$ while the new Xbox is between 460-520$ (closer to 520$). That’s a substantial difference that finally lays to rest any doubts about which system will be stronger and «insiders» are proven to be wrong by common sense really, cause it was obvious that MS would built the most powerful they could and their message with the new Xbox had been clear since day one.

True, i also think that confirms that XsX will be more powerful than Ps5. I'm ok with that as long as Ps5 is in a reasonable gap. Ps2 was much worse specs wise than Gamecube and Xbox and yet look at the games.

Games are what will make me choose one console over the other and what Microsoft said about not there being one Xbox exclusive in the first two years doesn't give me confidence already.

DESTROYA

Not sure if this has been posted or not

7pHqh0J.png

That PS5 icon looks a lot like this
hsLAWwL.jpg

Take it for what it is, might be fake but I’d rather have this design rather than the other supposed

M4PNs7Z.jpg

bigol

7pHqh0J.png

hsLAWwL.jpg

Take it for what it is, might be fake but I’d rather have this design rather than the other supposed

M4PNs7Z.jpg

Already proven fake.

FranXico

7pHqh0J.png

hsLAWwL.jpg

M4PNs7Z.jpg

Posted and debunked. Extremely easy to fake (a penis icon was already made to demonstrate that).

TLZ

Banned

7pHqh0J.png

hsLAWwL.jpg

M4PNs7Z.jpg

I'm afraid that's a fake.

The real one was posted by Gavin Stevens Gavin Stevens

True, i also think that confirms that XsX will be more powerful than Ps5. I'm ok with that as long as Ps5 is in a reasonable gap. Ps2 was much worse specs wise than Gamecube and Xbox and yet look at the games.

Games are what will make me choose one console over the other and what Microsoft said about not there being one Xbox exclusive in the first two years doesn't give me confidence already.
For sony’s sake I would hope that the difference wouldn’t even be close to an Xbox->ps2 situation cause Xbox was in a different league and even its launch games (like DOA3, Halo, Rallisport Challenge) were never even approached by ps2 games nevermind that by the end of its short lifespan the Xbox could play stuff like doom3 and half-life 2 . As for the cross gen stuff, another myth that will be debunked when we actually see the games, because again most rational folks understand how videogames’ development works nowadays with games mostly being made on PCs.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
4JdJP1g.png

Why's no one talking about this part? Sounds like XSX selling for cheaper?

No, that's just an interpretation of Sony's CFO saying that they price it based on their competitor. They don't know what XSX will sell for. Could be 399, 499, 599. But they want to pricematch it either way as long as it's selling below their own manufacturing cost.

Last edited:

bigol

For sony’s sake I would hope that the difference wouldn’t even be close to an Xbox->ps2 situation cause Xbox was in a different league and even its launch games (like DOA3, Halo, Rallisport Challenge) were never even approached by ps2 games nevermind that by the end of its short lifespan the Xbox could play stuff like doom3 and half-life 2 . As for the cross gen stuff, another myth that will be debunked when we actually see the games, because again most rational folks understand how videogames’ development works nowadays with games mostly being made on PCs.

I dont' think that will happen. Xbox launched almost two years later. This time they will launch at the same time. I guess the difference will mostly be the same as Xbox One X compared to Ps4Pro.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
No, that's just an interpretation of Sony's CFO saying that they price it based on their competitor. They don't know what XSX will sell for. Could be 399, 499, 599. But they want to pricematch it either way as long as it's selling below their own manufacturing cost.
Interesting position for Microsoft to be in. They are a bit more ahead in switching to a services business model, which means they might bite the bullet more on the price of XSX. Would put Sony it quite a predicament, the only problem is that Sony and Playstation have way more customers, so it would be a big risk.

Last edited by a moderator:

PaintTinJr

M bad, I had to run out and get a few things right after posting that xD.

That said, I don't think I agree with that implementation. 32GB of NAND as an SSG-style setup is just too conservative and too small. Keep in mind that NAND is going to have write degradation as it is used frequently, even if it's used as a managed, memory-mapped cache. And at that size, why not just go for persistent RAM? It would give the benefits of memory-mapped NAND, provide faster speed, and have byte-addressable write capability and true random access. And it wouldn't be particularly expensive, either.

I don't see either system using platter-based drives next-gen, either. It's a technology being phased out in the consumer space; while big data still sees a purpose for it due to high volumes of storage capacity, for what game design will entail next-gen mechanical harddrives will just be too slow, and it's all down to the way in which they work. Not only that but if they were going to use HDDs, simply to justify them even being there they'd need much larger capacity. Something around 4TB, maybe even 8TB.

Basically, I think the idea you have is sound but it could be implemented better with 16GB GDDR6 -> 32GB persistent RAM -> 128GB memory-mapped SSG-implementation NAND (replaceable, proprietary) -> general-purpose 1TB HDD or something like 16GB GDDR6 ->256-512GB memory-mapped SSG-implementation NAND (replaceable, proprietary) -> general-purpose 1TB - 2TB HDD (replaceable, generic)

I don't know...my hunch about drives is that both companies want to minimize this launch cost of HDD and use a bigger HDD as an easy selling point for S model refreshes as the cost per GB drops, but the bigger issue - with so much of console profits made from digital -is that they don't want to lose a digital game sale for the sake of insufficient storage on the customers HDD, and if you don't do HDD (make it all SSD) you make that problem worse, as you've then effectively ruled out USB attached storage. History of HDD size in Xbox/xbox360/One and PS3/PS4 lean me towards believing mechnical is still essential to both companies digital software strategy.

As for persistent RAM, I think it isn't durable or reliable enough judging by Intel Optane module reviews for the smaller modules. The cheaper/easier solution would be to use a portion of the GDDR6 (2GB) or DDR4 to mimic the millisecond access bridge that Persistent RAM facilitates in bridging nano second RAM access - for the CPU - to Micro second SSD access.. The sizes are also encroaching into the small SSD size and increases the console failable component count. If durability of GPU mapped (NVME) SSD is an issue at 16GB or 32GB then I suspect they'd just double the size to spread the wear giving a 2 or more lifespan increase. So I'm now thinking for the slower hiearachical storage data path: for the CPU to access data it will be:

16GGDR6 -> 2GB DDR4 -> 32 or 64GB SSD NVME on GPU -> 500GB HDD

I aslo think the use of an SSD will mean install size of PS4/PS5 games on PS5 will be 1/4 of what we have on PS4 - as it has been mentioned that replication is heavily used to maximize access of the PS4(PS3,etc) HDD because it reduces the rotation of the HDD head to reach the data when replicated across a platter.

I dont' think that will happen. Xbox launched almost two years later. This time they will launch at the same time. I guess the difference will mostly be the same as Xbox One X compared to Ps4Pro.
Agreed, I was just replying to a fellow who implied that the games looked similar in the ps2/Xbox generation. Anyway some weird takes , both here and in the other forum, but the truth has been visible ever since MS revealed their box in the game awards and with the message they are conveying about the new Xbox this whole time and people still refuse to believe it and come up with crazy theories. In the end the specs will be revealed and all this madness will end.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Interesting position for Microsoft to be in. They are a bit more ahead in switching to a services business model, which means they might bite the bullet more on the price of XSX. Would put Sony it quite a predicament, the only problem is that Sony and Playstation have way more customers, so it would be a big risk.
I don't think Microsoft will sell XSX at a loss if XSS exists. They will rather sell XSS at a small loss and XSX at cost. But while Sony is waiting for XSX pricing, Microsoft is probably waiting for Sony for XSS pricing. If Sony goes 499 we will see Lockhart at 299. If Sony goes with anything below 499, Lockhart will be at 249.

sinnergy

You read it wrong.
It’s $450-470 before manufacturing and packaging easily placing it over the $499 mark.
No I don’t, the bom is now higher because of Ram and NAND, even with the 399 Bom you wouldn’t get a 10+ Navi TF machine from Sony. With the 399 in place ... when designing including the memory and NAND setup.

They already pushed the performance envelope with the setup they have ... the set back this time is RAM and NAND, ironic really as RAM favored them last gen.

Last edited:
No I don’t, the bom is now higher because of Ram and NAND, even with the 399 Bom you wouldn’t get a 10+ Navi TF machine from Sony. With the 399 in place ... when designing including the memory and NAND setup.

They already pushed the performance envelope with the setup they have ... the set back this time is RAM and NAND, ironic really as RAM favored them last gen.
When its revealed its not 9tf will you promise not to act like it was abvious it wouldnt be 9tf ? Lol

TBiddy

the tf count on xbox series x, was it confirmed if it's RDNA or GCN? and what was the actual count itself? 12?

Nothing has been confirmed, neither RDNA (well, it is based on RDNA, but we don't know what the TF numbers are rumoured to be), GCN or a number. All we have is the "when we do the math, XSX is twice as powerful as X1X" from Spencer. The rest are rumours and guesswork.

Last edited:

Ellery

the tf count on xbox series x, was it confirmed if it's RDNA or GCN? and what was the actual count itself? 12?

Nothing was confirmed.
There is no such thing as RDNA or GCN TF.
We have no official specifcations about the GPUs inside next generation console.
Both are using Zen2 and RDNA architecture.

sinnergy

When its revealed its not 9tf will you promise not to act like it was abvious it wouldnt be 9tf ? Lol
10 TF IS STILL a option ... I said 10 plus. Between 9 and 10., 10.2 even that’s it, not everything is set in stone but it will hover around that range, If the 36 CU IS TRUE. It’s bound by CU. Will never reach 12TF WITH the 36 CU setup.

Last edited:

pasterpl

Nothing has been confirmed, neither RDNA (well, it is based on RDNA, but we don't know what the TF numbers are rumoured to be), GCN or a number. All we have is the "when we do the math, XSX is twice as powerful as X1X" from Spencer. The rest are rumours and guesswork.

I love how people simply ignore the official MS press release that says "Its industrial design enables us to deliver four times the processing power of Xbox One X..."

Forgive me about being late to the party, but I just saw the story about the PS5 rumored manufacturing price.

Sounds like they want a $400 machine as much as possible. That seems like a nice surprise when I’ve seen folks insist that it’s $500 or more based on the specs.

M-V2

So basically...

- If there's a leak on oudated (lack of context) test PS5 = 9tf

- If unit costs $450, PS5 = 9tf

- If the price is $399, PS5 = 9tf

- If Sony is waiting for MS to reveal their price, PS5 = 9tf

- If Sony is investing more money on cooling solution, PS5 = 2ghz (which means 9tf)

- If Xbox costs more than $450, PS5 = 9t

- If Sony farts, PS5 = 9tf

I mean for the love of God, what happened to the commonsense??

Forgive me about being late to the party, but I just saw the story about the PS5 rumored manufacturing price.

Sounds like they want a $400 machine as much as possible. That seems like a nice surprise when I’ve seen folks insist that it’s $500 or more based on the specs.
They can’t even keep the bom to 450. This doesn’t include manufacturing cost, shipping cost, retailers cut, etc. this is 500 with loss

Neo Blaster

"Scarce components have pushed the manufacturing costs for Sony Corp.'s next PlayStation to around $450 per unit."

So the 9TF rumors are true after all... what a disappointment. I was expecting a $599 console sold at a $100 loss for $499.
A $450 BOM probably means a $500 retail price, how in the world would that be a 9TF machine?

SNPlayen

So basically...

- If Sony is investing more money on cooling solution, PS5 = 2ghz (which means 9tf)

They are going to release a console that is weaker than Xbox, it’s going to cost more and in the event they are going to talk a lot about tv and sports. That’s what they learnt from the last 7 yrs of being in front.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
So basically...

don’t be stupid. Nobody said 9tf. You’re talking out your arse.

its 9.2 🤣

Mass Shift

"Enables us" =/= "We'll deliver that". And also, processing power, not teraflops.

Well right now they're the ONLY ones talking power along any performance metric. If fact, they're the the only ones talking about anything. Period.

So until Sony decides to officially become apart of the discussion, the conversation is going to remain rather lopsided in regards to power and/or performance.

I fully expect Sony to throw it down at some point, but at the moment they've left us all guessing as to what that will be.

So basically...

Common sense????????? on the internet???????????? from Armchair devs???????????????????

So basically...

One way or another the series x will be substantially more powerful and you can bet on that. Remember the bullshit about «a 1000$ machine» from Pachter that Sony fans took as gospel ? No need to be anxious, we will have specs eventually and we will see who was right.

M-V2

One way or another the series x will be substantially more powerful and you can bet on that. Remember the bullshit about «a 1000$ machine» from Pachter that Sony fans took as gospel ? No need to be anxious, we will have specs eventually and we will see who was right.
Yeah don't worry I'm screenshoting all of those who says "I bet" Im going to post all your bets here as soon as both companies reveal their machines until that time please don't run or hide 😬

Lol dreams are fun “Substantially” 😂

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
I had a dream that Darth Vader came from planet Vulcan and told me that the winning console is the one that will focus on tv, not power.

Does this make me an insider now?

ZywyPL

Banned
So basically...

All leaks lead to 9TF, just as all roads lead to Rome ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom