• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

hemo memo

Gold Member
ESit7Jh.jpg

ZkF9dTy.jpg

Thank god we’re not alone in this fight. developers are also asking for more power.

Ice team and Cerny don’t disappoint us.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
How would you explain this then?
Build cost for XSX could be higher, which may seem to indicate a more powerful console, but we can't say it for sure especially because of the past.
More important:
''Series X build cost likely higher than PS5 (as of now), but not significantly so. ''

Why would PS5 be 8TF and XSX 12TF with the XSX costing slightly more to make?

Special cooling solution for PS5 due to its form factor, and the custom SSD for example could all influence the price to build it, while barely having an impact on the actual power of the system.

DaGwaphics

4JdJP1g.png

Why's no one talking about this part? Sounds like XSX selling for cheaper?

Many forget that the Holy Grail isn't just performance or price, it's that combination of having a great price and being astonishingly performant at that price. Word on the street is that MS inked an unbeatable price on their SSD (huge, multi-year deal that includes orders across Azure and Xbox/Xcloud - Similar to the Philips deal that allowed MS to go UHD BR). Many also miss the fact that the form factor chosen for XSX isn't just good for cooling, it can be good for the BOM as well. It will be interesting to see where the chips fall. Especially given the performance targets at play.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
😂 😂 😂 😂 Now the nextbox is rumored to be few pennies higher in cost so the narrative is "omg it has to be more powerful" bcus yeah thts what's happened in the past🤔🤦‍♂️ (you know with ps4 being cheaper yet more powerful). Yeah both consoles have the same exact parts, at same prices so the difference is in more money Microsoft paid for the more powerful gpu🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️/s

Omg the gymnastics and the things rabid fans interpret are insane in this thread.

Ppl, different parts of these consoles aren't the same tht may or may not have to do with power and will be priced differently. A slightly more expensive console does not equal more power tht could be spent on the cooling system, the huge fridge like shell lol, etc But using common sense doesn't work on here for some.

Last edited:
we can look at past consoles.
and if we look, the PS4 which retailed at $400 had a gpu in it which was equivalent to a ~$230 PC graphics card that was already 2 years old at that point.
and the PS4 apparently just about broke even at launch.

the PS4 also had a pretty mid tier 500GB HDD that didn't cost much... it had pretty cheap fans and a pretty cheap CPU.

meanwhile we expect the PS5 to have a high end SSD and a pretty good CPU.
Problem with this analogy is that GPU prices have inflated. At the PS4's launch, AMD's fastest card was the 7970 which launched at around $550. The fastest (single GPU) Nvidia card at the time was the GTX680 which was $500.

Compare that to today. Where the fastest AMD card is the Radeon VII which costs $700 and the fastest Nvidia card is the 2080 To which costs $1200 (technically it's $2400 for the Titan RTX which is the exact same chip as the 2080Ti, just fully unlocked).

We just don't know. Using GPU RRPs is meaningless nowadays given how high prices have become.

This also does not account for all of the other components.

DrDamn

Special cooling solution for PS5 due to its form factor, and the custom SSD for example could all influence the price to build it, while barely having an impact on the actual power of the system.

The Bloomberg article addressed the price of the cooling system. I don't think it's going to be a huge factor in overall price ...

unusually expensive at a few dollars per unit. Typically, companies would spend less than a dollar

pawel86ck

Banned
Discuss? Or Troll? Based off your post history the best thing you can bring to the discussion is silence.
I'm not going to talk about your post history, because with 10 posts you are probably here just to troll for yourself given your attitude 😂. When it comes to my post history at least it proves I'm not into system wars like some of you people. I have shared my xbox x, PS4P and PC impressions here on neogaf, and it looks like many people liked my honesty 😃.

I have to say this thread started to look like a mess. Personal attacks, insults just because someone dare to say anything in regards to current leaks. Just great. I thought neogaf was better compared to other sites but maybe I was wrong and toxic people are everywhere these days.

Haha look at you celebrating. X1 was also more expensive to produce than ps4 yet weaker 😜

I think the Series X has a higher build cost as inside that black tower there is a fuck off big 8K drive (these are very expensive) which would have housed the exclusives it'll now never get.

MS changed plans but left this in there, but have added a CD-Rom drive (the same as on the XB1) to ensure backwards compatibility of all titles with its 8-yr old predecessor.

McHuj

The Bloomberg article addressed the price of the cooling system. I don't think it's going to be a huge factor in overall price ...

It won’t, but the implications of a more expensive cooler are are more expensive SOC and maybe other components as well. It’s all tied together.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Early adopters/ hardcores are going to buy the consoles no matter the price. The mass market would follow after a year+ they can have a price cut by then. They shouldn’t not cheap out on parts.
Yeah I will buy at $500 and kinda am hoping for that but I think for them a $400 launch will make the console more successful

DrDamn

It won’t, but the implications of a more expensive cooler are are more expensive SOC and maybe other components as well. It’s all tied together.

That would impact (positively) the power of the system though. Check what I was responding to. They were implying a more expensive cooling system would adversely affect the cost without any power benefits.

...Personal attacks, insults just because someone dare to say anything in regards to current leaks.

That's actually the issue. If it was an actual point you put some thought into and expressed, it would be welcome,. Honestly, based off the supposed recent leaks, how does that, to you, confirm 8TFLOPs on the PS5? It comes across as pure trolling, I could be wrong. Maybe you could explain?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
True, cooling will not be the key price driver. That SSD on the other hand... We'll see in a couple of weeks/months

splattered

That would impact (positively) the power of the system though. Check what I was responding to. They were implying a more expensive cooling system would adversely affect the cost without any power benefits.

Ahhh I dont know about that though. Sony always shoots for "elegance". That could mean a smaller form factor box closer to what is on the market now, but with need for a more expensive cooling solution even with an 8.5tf box.

The problem here is we haven't seen the chassis yet so we can't say better cooling because of super powerful components in a bigger box. It could be better cooling because of fairly powerful components in a small box.

If it really is 8 or 9tf vs 12 tf this gen I will be getting XsX out of the gate and wait to see how ps5 games and psvr2 play out before deciding to pick one up. If they're both close to the same power it will be a moot point and I'll buy both at launch.

That's actually the issue. If it was an actual point you put some thought into and expressed, it would be welcome,. Honestly, based off the supposed recent leaks, how does that, to you, confirm 8TFLOPs on the PS5? It comes across as pure trolling, I could be wrong. Maybe you could explain?

He is clearly trolling, talking shit. I put him on ignore.

Racer!

I’m not confident about Sony new management. I hope they don’t screw this up.

Me neither. Not confident at all, so far not impressed I have to say. If they dont show confidence in where they are going, and dont know what to do with price, how they are going to reveal etc, Microsoft may have a chance this time around.

LordOfChaos

The only surprise is they’re worried about going over the PS4 price. With the specs being discussed, I thought it was going to go for 499 easy. 450 would be fine. If they’re aiming for 400 with no reduction in the BoM/specs, even better.

nowhat

They are already optimizing for PS4/PS4Pro.
Yeah, but a Pro essentially is just a PS4+, the CPU is slightly faster, so is the RAM, and the GPU a bit over double faster - but with the upcoming PS5 we are talking major differences. Not only the GPU, but especially CPU and storage speeds. Optimizing for the previous gen as well is far from trivial.

😂 😂 😂 😂 Now the nextbox is rumored to be few pennies higher in cost so the narrative is "omg it has to be more powerful" bcus yeah thts what's happened in the past🤔🤦‍♂️ (you know with ps4 being cheaper yet more powerful). Yeah both consoles have the same exact parts, at same prices so the difference is in more money Microsoft paid for the more powerful gpu🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️/s

Omg the gymnastics and the things rabid fans interpret are insane in this thread.

Ppl different parts of these consoles aren't the same tht may or may not have to do with power and will be priced differently. A slightly more expensive console does not equal more power tht could be spent on the cooling system, the huge fridge like shell lol, etc But using common sense doesn't work on here for some.

Exactly! People also tend to forget that when the PS4 and XB1 launched, MS was paying more for their APU than Sony was for theirs, even though we all know the PS4 had a much more powerful APU. Sony has sold over 100 million consoles and Microsoft has only sold around 46 million, so guess who is going to get the better price from AMD...

VmHOANu.jpg

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
You forgot the ugliest woman main character ever created, whom looks like a hybrid of a dog, feminist and a bottle of botox.

Her face literally annoyed/disgusted me so much that I didnt want to play it for longer than some hours.

First time it happened and I have created crazy looking characters that never annoy me

But Alloy is the ugliest(or most disturbing) woman in gaming history

Honestly, she's the most convincing female protagonist I've ever played. Most look too weak and feminine, this one looks tougher. Glad they didn't give her strings like on Nier or tight outfits like most of the rest. She might be a feminist anyway, but don't over-think about that :messenger_tears_of_joy: I just liked that her outfits are more convincing that other games when they approach female fighter/warriors.

She's not ugly anyway, she's decent. I didn't like her character so much at the beginning but she grew on me the more her story unfolds. Try enduring her a bit and you should be rewarded with a great experience so thoughtful of our future as humans.

splattered

Seems like things are going to get really ugly here leading up to next gen... I hope eventually smoke will clear and people will go back to being friendly with each other just playing games again.

Also I hope all the xbox fans on this forum that were kicked out for "trolling" will receive ban pardons at some point.

Still seeing lots of shots sent out by ps fans on here and not a word said to any of them.

Exactly! People also tend to forget that when the PS4 and XB1 launched, MS was paying more for their APU than Sony was for theirs, even though we all know the PS4 had a much more powerful APU. Sony has sold over 100 million consoles and Microsoft has only sold around 46 million, so guess who is going to get the better price from AMD...

VmHOANu.jpg

MS paid more for their APU because they used ESRAM to make up for the slow DDR3. They aren't using ESRAM this time so the above doesn't matter at all.

splattered

You forgot the ugliest woman main character ever created, whom looks like a hybrid of a dog, feminist and a bottle of botox.

Her face literally annoyed/disgusted me so much that I didnt want to play it for longer than some hours.

First time it happened and I have created crazy looking characters that never annoy me

But Alloy is the ugliest(or most disturbing) woman in gaming history

Seriously? Alloy is a bad ass, females dont have to be "hot" to be likeable in games. Yikes.

joe_zazen

4JdJP1g.png

Why's no one talking about this part? Sounds like XSX selling for cheaper?

This is a worrying quote. Those who believe the ps5 could be sold for a profit at launch tells me they do not understand the market and are greedy AF.

I do believe they have power at Sony hq given how sony has closed studios, reduced genre diversity, made cheap AF hardware, and generally done everything to exact maximum money with least expenditures and a ‘future will take cate of itself’ attitude.

Them wanting a $450 bom console and a retail $499 price makes 100% sense. MS having a $499 more powerful console with gamepass makes things mighty tricky.

So what can you get for $450 USD in 2020? 13TF with blzing 1TB ssd and 24 GB ram alongside great controller and whisper quiet console? or closer to 8.X tf 16 gb 500 gb ssd etc?

that is the billion dollar question.

I am hoping MS is acutually super hungry like they were in 360 era. Sony has been greedy as fuck this gen and they need to up their game.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Guess who also creates other products with hardware from AMD? I wouldn't just assume that Sony gets a better price when Microsoft doesn't only build consoles with hardware from AMD.

TBiddy

MS paid more for their APU because they used ESRAM to make up for the slow DDR3. They aren't using ESRAM this time so the above doesn't matter at all.

Also, there's no Kinect bundled. That alone was probably about 100$.

. AMD isnt giving anyone a deal. Su has a fiduciary duty to get maximum price from both.

She also has a duty to maximize sales. If Microsoft (or Sony) were to present her with a great offer to buy a lot of CPU's for their own line of laptops in exchange for an additional 5% discount, she would listen.

Last edited:
Is this the big February PS5 news everyone has been eagerly anticipating? That Sony is concerned to announce the price of their console next to MS.

I'm becoming less and less optimistic about how things are going at Sony headquarters by the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom