• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Yes and no.

Following someone on twitter doesn’t mean you are in tune/accountable to their every post.

From Phil’s standpoint Tim is an enthusiastic Xbox fan with a bunch of followers.

There's a difference between someone like Rand and Tim. Both are Xbox fans, but one doesn't engage in such toxic behavior.

Tim and Rand are both friends, but Rand has no problem pointing out how toxic they can be.

Do you think demigod demigod isnt gonna come back to gloat if some of the things he says come true?

There's Xbox fans on here who say PS fans are delusional for not accepting the GitHub leaks, so people are no doubt going to laugh if it turns out to be true. There's people who will move past it, but Tim Dog will keep going while trying to say he's neutral.

And what is wrong with that?
What's wrong with following a toxic fanboy? Hmm.. I don't know.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Well, if he ends up being right, then that's something. He's just having fun it seems to me. Tim isn't the same Tim at start of gen. Have you seen some of the PS twitter guys? Puerto Rock? Some J Dub guy. And the rest of that crew? I also don't think it's a black eye to MS or Xbox for execs talking with Tim and some others. Seems like Tim talks and defends Xbox more than anything else. You should see those PS guys. They talk more about Xbox than playstation!

But I digress.
Guys like Aaron Greenberg associates with them too, but we know he has no problem taking shots at Sony and expressing some fanboy behavior.

But we would expect something different from a guy like Phil since he's the head of Xbox. Shuhei Yoshida is one of the few who responds to fans on twitter and he acts totally different than Phil on twitter.

DaMonsta

There's a difference between someone like Rand and Tim. Both are Xbox fans, but one doesn't engage in such toxic behavior.
Like 95% of the people on twitter are toxic

Tim and Rand are both friends, but Rand has no problem pointing out how toxic they can be.
But you guys just said being “friends” with Tim was the problem.

If Rand can a knowledge yet, ignore the toxicity, can’t we all?

There's Xbox fans on here who say PS fans are delusional for not accepting the GitHub leaks, so people are no doubt going to laugh if it turns out to be true. There's people who will move past it, but Tim Dog will keep going while trying to say he's neutral.
And there’s plenty of PS fans saying nonsensical shit too. They will come back to gloat, or pretend they never said the shit based on how reality plays out.

Last edited:
Guys like Aaron Greenberg associates with them too, but we know he has no problem taking shots at Sony and expressing some fanboy behavior.

But we would expect something different from a guy like Phil since he's the head of Xbox. Shuhei Yoshida is one of the few who responds to fans on twitter and he acts totally different than Phil on twitter.

Shu is a total class act all the way! I would love to meet him someday, he seems incredibly down to earth!

demigod

PR Phil says he doesn't care for console war, yet he let his lapdogs console war every single time. The head of Xbox isn't humble, neither are his fans. Sony has been humble this gen even though they're winning.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Like 95% of the people on twitter are toxic
Doesn't matter. Tim has a bigger influencing on gamers than most.

But you guys just said being “friends” with Tim was the problem.

If Rand can a knowledge yet, ignore the toxicity, can’t we all?
The claims is that Phil doesn't know what Tim is doing and I pointed out that he is friends with Tim on Twitter.

Phil is also the head of Xbox and Rand is a Youtuber. You would expect something different from a guy who is the head of Xbox.

And there’s plenty of PS fans saying nonsensical shit too. They will come back to gloat, or pretend they never said the shit based on how reality plays out.
Never said that doesn't happen.

Disco_

You guys have had a busy day...

Seems like Bloomberg has a source. Snipped the important parts
Bloomberg likes to base their articles on rumors, reddit, and official info they twist in their favor. Until other sources add or back up their claims, I wouldn't put much stock into this article.

I love how people simply ignore the official MS press release that says "Its industrial design enables us to deliver four times the processing power of Xbox One X..."
PR speak exists because gullible people eat it up.

Again 450 BOM means by the time it hits retail it costs them around $540(Manufacturing, shipping , retailers cut,...) so they need to take 140$ loss per console .

The $450 BOM is compared to $381 BOM of PS4. That $381 already included those costs, except retailer cuts(and we know a single game purchase made the hardware profitable). As I stated above though, until someone backs this up, it's nothing but more bloomberg fud.

True, cooling will not be the key price driver. That SSD on the other hand... We'll see in a couple of weeks/months

Does xsx not have an SSD? The sony ssd patent that many think is tied to the ps5 suggests the storage solution is cheaper for sony than using off the shelf parts.

Let's not forget the Sony is a BIG hardware company, they made this insane speed for small memories for their cameras for PCIe 3.0, might as well they've designed or co-designed their own NVMe m.2? That'll be much cheaper if them involved instead of buying it, although we should put in mind that Sony would sell more than 1-2 million consoles before 2020 ends! We might expect those or something similar as supplementary memory cards.
These are too slow and cost a ton.

I feel ashamed of Phil Spencer and MS as they can promote and promote fans of the likes of MrXmedia giving them notoriety and popularity. That a brand is represented by those values makes me see that that brand lacks category. I can't imagine Apple acting this way. Phil Spencer makes the ridiculous answering Tim and the rest of the fans. If those are Xbox values, they won't see a euro, whether it's 12 or 20 Tflops.

Last edited:

wolffy71

Banned
I feel ashamed of Phil Spencer and MS as they can promote and promote fans of the likes of MrXmedia giving them notoriety and popularity. That a brand is represented by those values makes me see that that brand lacks category. I can't imagine Apple acting this way. Phil Spencer makes the ridiculous answering Tim and the rest of the fans. If those are my Xbox values, they won't see a euro, whether it's 12 or 20 Tflops.

Are these guys supposed to vet people for posts on neogaf? get real

Reindeer

It's crazy how people from MS associate with these people knowing their toxic behavior.
RDX crew do lot of hype work for Microsoft and it's not like Microsoft had much choice when it comes to who from their fans they can choose when you sold as many consoles as they did. I agree though, being associated with these man-children is no good, but it's not like anyone on Xbox side really cares.

Let the healing process begin, now that Timothy is gone.
giphy.gif

Last edited:

Sinthor

Gold Member
Friend. I'm not triggered by anything. I'm just asking a question.
You're the one who brought this up, so if anyone seems triggered about their being a lesbian in a game (woe betide me, a girl wants to fuck another girl), it's you.

Ellie having a girlfriend, and perhaps wanting to avenge her, doesn't change her relationship towards Joel. It could probably be a vehicle for further developing their relationship, over both having lost loved ones.
Whether Ellie is a straight, lesbian or a bloody attack helicopter, doesn't really change much.

None of the insane violence I've seen in promotional material I've seen, really makes me think this is a lesbian love story.

I get what some might fear about having the narrative be just a PC type push, but I really don't think that's it. This 'love story' is only going to be relevant as far as providing a motive for rage and revenge from Ellie. So that's it's real relevance. Loss of a loved one is a common vehicle used in stories, especially action/revenge types of stories. So nothing outside of the norm.

I get it if someone objects on moral grounds to that kind of subject matter, but it is what it is. If that's too offensive for someone, they shouldn't play the game. Same for any other game with violence or sex (or both!), drug use...or whatever. Everyone's different and we all have different likes, biases and lines that we don't like crossed.

Banned

this is the reason why many people in here that all want developers to !!!!FULLY UTILIZE THE NEXT GEN HARDWARE!!!! might be greatly disappointed... high entry prices like these for both systems will prolong the cross-gen development tactic by third parties. and when games will come exclusively to next gen they won't be super expensive and ambitious AAA monster productions that could fully take advantage of the hardware either.

it will take a fair bit of time until we truly see a jump in what developers can do with these systems

DaMonsta

Doesn't matter. Tim has a bigger influencing on gamers than most.

How do you know or even quantify this?

The claims is that Phil doesn't know what Tim is doing and I pointed out that he is friends with Tim on Twitter.
Do you have friends on social media? Are you accountable for everything they say?

Phil is also the head of Xbox and Rand is a Youtuber. You would expect something different from a guy who is the head of Xbox.
Rand has the time, and energy to research and understand nuance with Xbox fans. Phil does not, and honestly his job dictates he doesn’t care.

Never said that doesn't happen.
I’m sure we won’t see you or other PS fans attacking those people.

Mass Shift

They’re just gonna double down so this whole “vetting” shit is pointless. Best option is to not believe anyone but reliable leakers such as Zhuge and Jschreiher

Love your profile pic btw.

If I was an insider I would have to accept that me being 100% sure of myself doesn't make me 100% correct either. And this is sort of how they rise and fall.

If someone leaks anything, most of the time you are listening to an interpretation. This becomes even more questionable when you're talking about something technical like the performance of processors. And these are NEW processors, NEW architecture.

And are we confident that the insiders are technically inclined enough to be able to accurately measure the performance of dev kits using old architecture to give us approximations on final silicon?

I'm willing to bet not many have technical backgrounds at all. Because if they did they could more accurately convey to us what is possible and what isnt. So we have insiders throwing around vague specifications, throwing around die sizes, throwing around the opinions of others just as unqualified as they are as if they were technical experts.

I get that it must be a great feeling to be the "messenger" bringing the good news. But they don't give themselves any wiggle room AT ALL for being wrong. Absolutely no room for doubt.

Sapiens nihil affirmat quod non probat -

A wise man states as true NOTHING he does not prove.

(shorthand) Don't swear to anything you can't prove

bitbydeath

OK so its starts at $450. Is that supposed to tell me much? What's the estimated additional cost?

I guesstimated $100 in comparison to the additional costs on the PS4 + a slight inflation. If the roughly $50 price increase is correct then it shows (providing numbers are correct) that Sony was always aiming for the rumoured $499.

Last edited:

Entroyp

I feel ashamed of Phil Spencer and MS as they can promote and promote fans of the likes of MrXmedia giving them notoriety and popularity. That a brand is represented by those values makes me see that that brand lacks category. I can't imagine Apple acting this way. Phil Spencer makes the ridiculous answering Tim and the rest of the fans. If those are Xbox values, they won't see a euro, whether it's 12 or 20 Tflops.

It makes perfect to me actually.

DaMonsta

I’m absolutely positive one can find a PlayStation or Nintendo excec interacting with the most irrational fanboys online, yet we don’t get posts like this making claims of shame and negativity toward those people or companies as a whole.

Why?

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
PR Phil says he doesn't care for console war, yet he let his lapdogs console war every single time. The head of Xbox isn't humble, neither are his fans. Sony has been humble this gen even though they're winning.
As soon as it was announced Sony wasn't coming to E3, Phil goes on Twitter to make a post.
How do you know or even quantify this?

Do you have friends on social media? Are you accountable for everything they say?

Rand has the time, and energy to research and understand nuance with Xbox fans. Phil does not, and honestly his job dictates he doesn’t care.

I’m sure we won’t see you or other PS fans attacking those people.
I don't know why you're damage controlling for him.

Tim, Colt, Dealer and Crapgamer didn't gain followers by just loving Xbox, they gained followers for creating Xbox content geared to fuel fanboy wars. Tim doesn't create YT videos like Crap, Dealer or Colt, but he's still on a lot of podcast with these people.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
this is the reason why many people in here that all want developers to !!!!FULLY UTILIZE THE NEXT GEN HARDWARE!!!! might be greatly disappointed... high entry prices like these for both systems will prolong the cross-gen development tactic by third parties. and when games will come exclusively to next gen they won't be super expensive and ambitious AAA monster productions that could fully take advantage of the hardware either.

it will take a fair bit of time until we truly see a jump in what developers can do with these systems
Will make first party exclusives all the more important. Will Sony bite the bullet and leave their huge install base behind to show off the new console? I would hope so but it's definitely riskier for the game

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.

I already said this, £399/$499 is the max those consoles can possibly be if there are any sane people at MS/Sony
I can see a it being a bit lower
Probably £360/$450

Neo Blaster

For a non-exclusive SX, that's true. But PS5 is supposed to get exclusives from first party studios right from the start, so we can begin to see that much sooner.

Jtibh

Banned
The reason i always start with sony every gen is the more mature attitude towards differences in power and games service etc.
I hate to be in this toxic xbox enviroment online or in the media on forums etc.

Then when the dust settled i get an xbox and enjoy the games i missed out on.

DaMonsta

I don't know why you're damage controlling for him.

Tim, Colt, Dealer and Crapgamer didn't gain followers by just loving Xbox, they gained followers for creating Xbox content geared to fuel fanboy wars. Tim doesn't create YT videos like Crap, Dealer or Colt, but he's still on a lot of podcast with these people.
I’m not damage controlling anything. Just pointing out how you and your fellow Sony fan friends like to pretend only Xbox fans exist.

There’s more “Xbox fans are bad” posts in here than there are actual bad Xbox fan posts.

Last edited:

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
I’m not damage controlling anything. Just pointing out how you and your fellow Sony fan friends like to pretend only Xbox fans exist.

There’s more “Xbox fans are bad” posts in here than there are actual bad Xbox fan posts.
Isn't that always true? People always stereotype fanbases and talk about the worst few people in said fanbase

You guys have had a busy day...

Bloomberg likes to base their articles on rumors, reddit, and official info they twist in their favor. Until other sources add or back up their claims, I wouldn't put much stock into this article.

PR speak exists because gullible people eat it up.

The $450 BOM is compared to $381 BOM of PS4. That $381 already included those costs, except retailer cuts(and we know a single game purchase made the hardware profitable). As I stated above though, until someone backs this up, it's nothing but more bloomberg fud.

Does xsx not have an SSD? The sony ssd patent that many think is tied to the ps5 suggests the storage solution is cheaper for sony than using off the shelf parts.

These are too slow and cost a ton.

Don't think it's fair to say Bloomberg are trying to spread FUD simply because of this article. It's an opinion piece, and the writer probably did some checking into things on their own end. Doesn't mean they are correct on everything but just calling it FUD sounds like a reactionary thing because it isn't favorable to a given platform.

Basically, there's nothing any more offensive in the Bloomberg article than what was in those Forbes article a couple weeks back, and at least the Bloomberg one offers some interesting points of consideration and isn't using a stupid clickbait title.

Love your profile pic btw.

If I was an insider I would have to accept that me being 100% sure of myself doesn't make me 100% correct either. And this is sort of how they rise and fall.

If someone leaks anything, most of the time you are listening to an interpretation. This becomes even more questionable when you're talking about something technical like the performance of processors. And these are NEW processors, NEW architecture.

And are we confident that the insiders are technically inclined enough to be able to accurately measure the performance of dev kits using old architecture to give us approximations on final silicon?

I'm willing to bet not many have technical backgrounds at all. Because if they did they could more accurately convey to us what is possible and what isnt. So we have insiders throwing around vague specifications, throwing around die sizes, throwing around the opinions of others just as unqualified as they are as if they were technical experts.

I get that it must be a great feeling to be the "messenger" bringing the good news. But they don't give themselves any wiggle room AT ALL for being wrong. Absolutely no room for doubt.

Sapiens nihil affirmat quod non probat -

A wise man states as true NOTHING he does not prove.

(shorthand) Don't swear to anything you can't prove

TBH some of us here on this forum have more technical knowledge than many of the insiders, quite notably so in fact. You don't need to be an insider to make some of the speculation a lot of insiders end up making.

Granted I understand if NDAs lock them out of saying certain things, but a lot of times you can get a glimpse on if someone knows something or not when speaking about tangentially related concepts and the person doesn't understand much about it. That said I don't think an insider lacking technical knowledge should have them disregarded as being legitimate if they have a decent track record and carry themselves well. But it does mean that you can't put blind faith into them either.

Really, best not to put blind faith into anyone, even any of the other sources for next-gen leaks, data, rumors etc. Probably easiest way of setting oneself up for disappointment (and not seeing the bigger picture).

Last edited:

TBiddy

and why ms tax laptop buyers? or are they getting a discount too because of discounted xbox apus? And what is in it for amd, selling all these apus for less than market price?

Most likely, yes, they are getting a discount as well. That's how big business works. The more you buy, the less you pay. Microsoft most likely buys more from AMD, hence they get better prices.

There's no such thing as a market price, when we're talking APUs for consoles, by the way.

Mod of War

Ω
Staff Member
You have to see who posted it lol
Yeah he is the fake neutral lol. So transparent he is. I been called him out.

😂😂😂😂
Nice English. You should go back to school.
It's time for you too take the Tim dog torch.

Fight the good fight brother.
Is shit like this necessary? It adds nothing to the conversation and just seems straight disrespectful to me.
Yeah I disrespect people who cheer on nutjobs like timdog. And I will keep doing it
Disrespectful? No seems like few ppl having fun on an otherwise slow news thread. If this is disrespectful to you imo you have some really soft skin.

But it is what it is.

If you want to continue the meta on this, take it to this thread here:

Return this thread back on topic, otherwise warnings and thread removals will be issued.

Thank you.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
currypanda only posts negative news about Sony anyways. Here's a positive outlook from a Q&A tester from ree.

Can you quote what was said?

Disco_

Don't think it's fair to say Bloomberg are trying to spread FUD simply because of this article. It's an opinion piece, and the writer probably did some checking into things on their own end. Doesn't mean they are correct on everything but just calling it FUD sounds like a reactionary thing because it isn't favorable to a given platform.

Basically, there's nothing any more offensive in the Bloomberg article than what was in those Forbes article a couple weeks back, and at least the Bloomberg one offers some interesting points of consideration and isn't using a stupid clickbait title.
Because you think this article gives more credibility to github? I'm sorry that you think that's how I see it.

Bloomberg, the epitome of credible news reporting.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

People know Sony fans exist. No one even suggested that they didn't. You're the one that's saying guys like Crap, Dealer and Colt are no different than other toxic people on twitter when it's obvious that's not true.

They gained thousands of followers based on the toxic environment they created, and the majority of fanboys on twitter don't have that type of influence on the community.

You can disagree with this all you want, but the facts are out there.

Kobi

I suppose another way to look at it is yes, Tim's behaviour was out of order. But just imagine the scenes if he was right.

Think I'm genuinely more excited to see everyone's reactions than the consoles - least right now anyways haha.

IeEyLJy.gif

pasterpl

The reason i always start with sony every gen is the more mature attitude towards differences in power and games service etc.
I hate to be in this toxic xbox enviroment online or in the media on forums etc.

Then when the dust settled i get an xbox and enjoy the games i missed out on.

for me is the other way around, I buy Xbox on day 1 and PlayStation after upgraded model is released

DaMonsta

People know Sony fans exist. No one even suggested that they didn't. You're the one that's saying guys like Crap, Dealer and Colt are no different than other toxic people on twitter when it's obvious that's not true.

They gained thousands of followers based on the toxic environment they created, and the majority of fanboys on twitter don't have that type of influence on the community.

You can disagree with this all you want, but the facts are out there.
Again. There are plenty of toxic PS fans on all social media who have also gained a bunch of fans through their toxicity.

I can’t call their names out because they don’t matter to me. In this thread we have more posts like yours “complaining” about Xbox fanboys than we have actual toxic Xbox fanboys.

That’s my perspective, and I’m done with this back and forth cause, I’d rather the derail stop. I just hope I don’t have to read another couple dozen posts of PS fans supposedly “calling out” Xbox fans.

Last edited:
Because you think this article gives more credibility to github? I'm sorry that you think that's how I see it.

Bloomberg, the epitome of credible news reporting.

Okay, you're acting like Bloomberg's the only news site that has ever been fined in the history of history. All the big ones have been under some type of legal issues at one point or another. NYT, CNN, MSNBC and, yes, even Wired. Bad reason to use an old incident as an indictment.

And no, that's not the reason I put some stock into the article. It's because they mention things like DRAM and possible NAND shortage issues, which is believable if you watch the markets. Some people are thinking the article doesn't imply potential setbacks of similar for XSX because of omission of mention, but anyone with their head on straight could assume MS are potentially facing similar issues. Or maybe they aren't, or maybe not to the same degree. We don't know the inner workings of these companies like that and what deals they've arranged with component suppliers.

I already said I don't 100% believe the Github leak, but I never said it wasn't impossible. Truth is there have been other things, some from Sony themselves, going far back to 2018 that can provide some validation to that leak. There've been multiple benchmarks uncovered since the leak that still align with it in most ways. We're getting pretty late into this pre next-gen cycle and a lot of the hard data evidence is aligning to a vaguely similar picture.

I'm an optimist myself, and I still think there's an updated benchmark waiting to be uncovered that'll have an Oberon with a chunk of additional CUs. But I'm not hedging all my bets on that outcome, because it's not 100% probable, just very highly probable. And that's with me already positing a favorable bias for PS5 in that scenario. But yes, a lot of actual uncovered data and benchmarks are showing agreement with the Github leak you keep clinging to; all I'm saying is that they share some agreement as of right now and therefore it makes the leak pertinent. Wherever things land from there is where they land.

TL;DR it's foolish to keep implying anyone who even partially regards the Github leak as pertinent as a conspiracy theorist who is anti-Sony or anti-PS5. It's probably time to knock that off, real talk.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom