• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

M-V2

You know as much as I love talking about power & stuff, but I still own the base PS4 since launch, Im really enjoying my time playing video games, my friend has Xbox one X & sometimes we play together on his console but I never ONCE thought to upgrade my base model it's just I'm satisfied with what I'm getting.
I can't wait for the ps5 whether it's 9tf or 100tf.

Koopatrol

You know as much as I love talking about power & stuff, but I still own the base PS4 since launch, Im really enjoying my time playing video games, my friend has Xbox one X & sometimes we play together on his console but I never ONCE thought to upgrade my base model it's just I'm satisfied with what I'm getting.
I can't wait for the ps5 whether it's 9tf or 100tf.

It's all about the games, man. Power is interesting, but I'm much more excited to see what types of games the devs can put out next gen. Looking forward to Sony's first party lineup and seeing how Microsoft has put their recent acquisitions to work. I think we'll be seeing stellar stuff from both sides. Exciting times!

M-V2

It's all about the games, man. Power is interesting, but I'm much more excited to see what types of games the devs can put out next gen. Looking forward to Sony's first party lineup and seeing how Microsoft has put their recent acquisitions to work. I think we'll be seeing stellar stuff from both sides. Exciting times!
Yeah mate I totally agree I can't wait to see hzd 2 & what bluepoint is cooking...

Sony is finally spending money on better cooling after all the complaining about the noise of PS4 and the conclusion people come too is that the high BOM and expensive fan means a weaker 9.2tf console and high clocks?

I can not wait until these consoles are fully announced cause some of you are coming up with most nonsensical stuff based on this.

desetera is really having fun with this new information. Confirmation bias all over the place over that excuse of a so called "gaming discussion" site.

This is exactly the point I made over at era, people complained about the pros fan noise and now Sony puts in a better cooking system, for a more powerful system and it’s somehow 9.2Tfs confirmed with higher clocks speeds.

everytime I dip into their next-gen site I feel like my IQ drops.

decided to create an account on GAF, it’s no where near as bad as that place.

Fake

If we’re going to take the Bloomberg article as gospel.

“Most of the components for the console have been locked down, the people said, including the cooling system, which is unusually expensive at a few dollars per unit. Typically, companies would spend less than a dollar, but Sony opted to lavish more on making sure heat dissipation from the powerful chips housed inside the console isn’t an issue.“

Still stand by what I have and am being told. Both over 10 11.6 and 12.4. No one including the people I personally know have said anything to the contrary and even changing clock speeds won’t change this drastically.

edited to add: Both consoles are going to be very powerful. VERY, and MS is not fucking around when it comes to their games. At all.

Again reforce that both are pretty close and about two digits TF.

Thx mister OsirisBlack OsirisBlack

This is exactly the point I made over at era, people complained about the pros fan noise and now Sony puts in a better cooking system, for a more powerful system and it’s somehow 9.2Tfs confirmed with higher clocks speeds.

everytime I dip into their next-gen site I feel like my IQ drops.

decided to create an account on GAF, it’s no where near as bad as that place.
Size matters. Smaller consoles Require better cooling, not to mention more expensive. Larger consoles Require less cooling and have better airflow. Size can also determine power Because of this.

Last edited:

Niked

The more powerful a console is, closer a developer gets to Its vision 😀

IkarugaDE

It’s remarkable how childish this thread has become.
People are going insane due to the lack of information. In resetera there was a discussion if the consoles could come without a controller (was really funny) and on reddit one guy says he will drink his own piss if Sony won't announce something until today. Cheers!

So there are lunatics everywhere :D

Last edited:

Brudda26

You know what I find funny is the people complaining about sony targeting a lowish price not realising the actual bargain they are getting. 5700XT like perf, 8C/16T cpu, a custom SSD and 16GB ram. If you were to translate that to PC those 4 components alone is going to cost you around $/£/€1000

SmokSmog

Cerny is preparing himself for PS5 reveal.
0ByfPgO.jpg

Bo_Hazem

Banned
As soon as it was announced Sony wasn't coming to E3, Phil goes on Twitter to make a post.

I don't know why you're damage controlling for him.

Tim, Colt, Dealer and Crapgamer didn't gain followers by just loving Xbox, they gained followers for creating Xbox content geared to fuel fanboy wars. Tim doesn't create YT videos like Crap, Dealer or Colt, but he's still on a lot of podcast with these people.

Crapgamer has flipped to Playstation lately and he's being flooded by the cult with dislikes and insults :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Reindeer

Crapgamer has flipped to Playstation lately and he's being flooded by the cult with dislikes and insults :messenger_tears_of_joy:
I think the poor guy has had enough and gave up on YouTube. He tried to win over PS fans, but they didn't accept him since he made too many of them angry over the years when he was a hardcore Xbox fanboy. Plus he still makes those ridiculously clickbaity videos.

Last edited:

LED Guy?

Banned
Yeah it seems like Crapgamer when he turned to PlayStation and if you tuned into his live podcasts and listened to what he said, he is saying the truth, the stone cold hard facts, it's like he completely turned 180 degrees and I like it.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I think the poor guy has had enough and gave up on YouTube. He tried to win over PS fans, but they didn't accept him since he made too many of them angry over the years when he was a hardcore Xbox fanboy.

The same happened to MBG but he was "more" neutral and spent most of his late time as an xbox fan criticizing MS, until Crackdown 3 happened and watched his channel change from green to blue.

wolffy71

Banned
Again. There are plenty of toxic PS fans on all social media who have also gained a bunch of fans through their toxicity.

I can’t call their names out because they don’t matter to me. In this thread we have more posts like yours “complaining” about Xbox fanboys than we have actual toxic Xbox fanboys.

That’s my perspective, and I’m done with this back and forth cause, I’d rather the derail stop. I just hope I don’t have to read another couple dozen posts of PS fans supposedly “calling out” Xbox fans.
Wont say ive done the math or anything but im pretty sure that a certain percentage of humans are likely to behave toxically(is that a word lol) and what console they prefer isnt a deciding factor. Some people are just tools and its on both sides.

Koopatrol

The more powerful a console is, closer a developer gets to Its vision 😀

I feel like people are getting too caught up in the TF difference. There will be a difference, and even if there is a 3 TF difference, we will be getting amazing games next gen regardless. Devs will no longer be hindered by this current generation, and next gen should also have some features and elements that really help in terms of advancing game development. We already know about the SSD's, for instance.

I'm thinking of it this way: just think about all of the amazing games we got this gen. Hell, we are getting TLoU 2 on the base PS4 and that looks phenomenal. Even if the PS5 is 9.2 TF, that is a 400% increase over the base PS4. Which is insane. People are getting too caught up in fighting over TF or which will be most powerful, when the fact of the matter is that next gen is going to be bonkers either way.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Yeah it seems like Crapgamer when he turned to PlayStation and if you tuned into his live podcasts and listened to what he said, he is saying the truth, the stone cold hard facts, it's like he completely turned 180 degrees and I like it.

I only knew crapgamer lately, but I was shocked about how invested he was in Xbox but don't know much about his history vs PS fans.

Last edited:

Reindeer

The same happened to MBG but he was "more" neutral and spent most of his late time as an xbox fan criticizing MS, until Crackdown 3 happened and watched his channel change from green to blue.
Yeah, MBG was able to switch camps because he was never disrespectful to Sony fans, unlike CrapGamer of course. Like Hgamer says, most of what CrapGamer says these days is true, but he made too many enemies along the way and he still persists making clickbaity videos.

Niked

I feel like people are getting too caught up in the TF difference. There will be a difference, and even if there is a 3 TF difference, we will be getting amazing games next gen regardless. Devs will no longer be hindered by this current generation, and next gen should also have some features and elements that really help in terms of advancing game development. We already know about the SSD's, for instance.

I'm thinking of it this way: just think about all of the amazing games we got this gen. Hell, we are getting TLoU 2 on the base PS4 and that looks phenomenal. Even if the PS5 is 9.2 TF, that is a 400% increase over the base PS4. Which is insane. People are getting too caught up in fighting over TF or which will be most powerful, when the fact of the matter is that next gen is going to be bonkers either way.
Yep, I have just started Dreams and Its the most impressive game I have ever plsyed. ND has been dethroned. Its like playing CGI

Last edited:

Niked

Man, I was invited to the Dreams beta and barely played it. I'm disappointed in myself because I'm a huge LBP fan and love MediaMolecule.

Think I'll cop this today.
MM has really out done themself. The 3hrs singel player is the most creative and visual impressive thing I have played since ps4 released. Look at the last image i update my last post with. Its just Keanu Reeves breath taking ♥

Last edited:

xPikYx

But only with a subscription service. Most people dont buy the phones directly for that amount of money. They pay it off monthly
True, but indeed you have to pay a certain amount upfront, and that's for phones, and companies don't price their phones according to that, that's your chioce as well as for another kind of device you can open a finance or getting a loan from your bank, that's up to you. You don't buy gpus with plans. If I'm not wrong, navi 5700x had a launch price of 499,how can you expect a whole console with, let's say, similar amount of power for less than that? Market nowadays is quite different from 2013. In 2013 I bought a top custom gpus (Ati HD7970) for 420€, today for the same level gpu I paid double the amount. Logically, tell me now, how much you expect a Console of even 9tf (the shitty bare minimum) should cost?

Sony is finally spending money on better cooling after all the complaining about the noise of PS4 and the conclusion people come too is that the high BOM and expensive fan means a weaker 9.2tf console and high clocks?

I can not wait until these consoles are fully announced cause some of you are coming up with most nonsensical stuff based on this.

desetera is really having fun with this new information. Confirmation bias all over the place over that excuse of a so called "gaming discussion" site.

It's hilarious because during the speculation talks last year, the only reasonable explanation on how Reiner, Klee, et al could be correct about PS5 being more powerful was the fact that it had to be clocked higher, simply due to on how similar the architecture and the parts are going to be.

This news literally confirms nothing one way or the other than the fact that Sony will be taking a huge loss if they go with $399.

cragarmi

Having a custom SSD rather than off the shelf is likely a cost saving measure too. It wouldn't really be worth the speed gain otherwise. (IMHO)

HawarMiran

Banned
True, but indeed you have to pay a certain amount upfront, and that's for phones, and companies don't price their phones according to that, that's your chioce as well as for another kind of device you can open a finance or getting a loan from your bank, that's up to you. You don't buy gpus with plans. If I'm not wrong, navi 5700x had a launch price of 499,how can you expect a whole console with, let's say, similar amount of power for less than that? Market nowadays is quite different from 2013. In 2013 I bought a top custom gpus (Ati HD7970) for 420€, today for the same level gpu I paid double the amount. Logically, tell me now, how much you expect a Console of even 9tf (the shitty bare minimum) should cost?
Here a 1399 USD phone. This is the subscription price
CkIwAxy.png

They could easily do this with a PS5 for 30 Euros a month for 24 month

Last edited:

I also find it laughable that people believe that because Sony have a more expensive cooling solution that they must have a small high clocked chip, and that microsoft will have a larger, low clocked chip.
Unfortunately, a 56CU RDNA chip clocked at 1700MHz will emit more heat than a 36CU chip at 2GHz.

cragarmi

I also find it laughable that people believe that because Sony have a more expensive cooling solution that they must have a small high clocked chip, and that microsoft will have a larger, low clocked chip.
Unfortunately, a 56CU RDNA chip clocked at 1700MHz will emit more heat than a 36CU chip at 2GHz.
So the sweet spot would be somewhere in the middle.

According to my calculations, you are wrong:

powerscalinggpuonlyuljwr.png

36 CUs at 2 Ghz are around 160W
36 CUs at 1.7 Ghz are around 105W. Multiply that by (56/36) and you get 163.3W.

Supposing power consumption scales linearly with the amount of CUs, 56CUs at 1.7 Ghz (12.2 TFs) would generate approximately the same heat as 36 CUs at 2 Ghzs (9.2 TFs).

So having less CUs at higher frequency makes no sense.

Edit: Even though you are wrong in your reasoning why expensive cooling is proof of Sony not using a smaller chip, that doesn't mean that's what they are doing. It only means the data we have now about the BOM is not enough to know how many CUs PS5 has.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

If we’re going to take the Bloomberg article as gospel.

“Most of the components for the console have been locked down, the people said, including the cooling system, which is unusually expensive at a few dollars per unit. Typically, companies would spend less than a dollar, but Sony opted to lavish more on making sure heat dissipation from the powerful chips housed inside the console isn’t an issue.“

Still stand by what I have and am being told. Both over 10 11.6 and 12.4. No one including the people I personally know have said anything to the contrary and even changing clock speeds won’t change this drastically.

edited to add: Both consoles are going to be very powerful. VERY, and MS is not fucking around when it comes to their games. At all.

This was the most interesting part of the article for me. Since the very early 9th gen hype build up, I've wanted them to go with more exotic cooling, and it looks like we're getting it. That doesn't mean blowing up the cost as some thought, the difference between one dollar and a few seems well worth it for that last 10-15% of the clock speed range and performance.

TLZ

Banned
Tim is fine. I don't understand what people have against him. Who cares he roots for Xbox. There's PS guys that are in same boat and worse. Tim's friends with some people from Xbox. And a good guy. Seems to me people get a bit envious that execs talk to him if you ask me.
Sigh. No. We're not school kids to envy him talking to Phil or whoever. Anyone can talk to them on Twitter. It isn't a big deal. And it's not something I care about.

For me, and I'm sure I'm talking for many here, it's not his fandom of Xbox that annoys us. There are many here who are respectful, mature Xbox fans. It's the way he comes across and carries himself. Guy's a complete clown and has no interest in discussion. All he wants and does is cause ruckus. Just look at what happens every time he posts here.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
[/QUOTE]
Again. There are plenty of toxic PS fans on all social media who have also gained a bunch of fans through their toxicity.

I can’t call their names out because they don’t matter to me. In this thread we have more posts like yours “complaining” about Xbox fanboys than we have actual toxic Xbox fanboys.

That’s my perspective, and I’m done with this back and forth cause, I’d rather the derail stop. I just hope I don’t have to read another couple dozen posts of PS fans supposedly “calling out” Xbox fans.

You're misinterpreting my post and trying to spin it.

I called him toxic and you're keep telling me, "there's toxic PS fanboys, too!"

Who is even debating that? No one is saying there's only toxic Xbox fanboys, we're pointing out that he is one of them.

Fanboys on each side are fighting, but there's one side who is celebrating that the way before the specs have been officially announced and it could come back to bit them in the a**. I'm pointing out that people shouldn't celebrate too early because they're not going to like it if they're wrong.

Disco_

TL;DR it's foolish to keep implying anyone who even partially regards the Github leak as pertinent as a conspiracy theorist who is anti-Sony or anti-PS5. It's probably time to knock that off, real talk.
Do you want to point out to me where I did that?

I simply asked why you called me a fanboy. I pointed to the github topic because all morning, from your camp, the narrative has been "expensive cooling=2ghz=github real".

Bo_Hazem

Banned
As the thread has cooled down a bit, I wanna talk about the problems Niked Niked was referring to in TLOU2:

First, I think they've rewritten the script after the backlash they've had with no Joel in it, and having some SJW agenda behind hating the idea of the "typical white guy" protagonist. The same reason why Days Gone got bombarded for having a white guy protagonist. And to pretend that the industry is 100% agenda-free that's wishful thinking.

Anyway, I think they've ditched Joel out of the story, and with all the questions from fans about him they've kept quite, nothing about him. They've spent months (or more than a year?) to suddenly bring him in a smart fashion as if they were thinking to surprise us of his comeback. They must've made up his existence again to avoid clashing with the fans, skipping the existence of the "MAIN" protagonist as if we are skipping from season 1 to season 3 in a series! I really don't care if she's lesbian because I knew that since the first installment when she was playing with her other female friend. But I have BIG problems if they were planning to axe Joel just for being a typical white man. I'm Arabian not white anyway, but I don't like any shitty agendas to be the core drive behind a game.

If we had that transition in the 2nd then his daughter becomes the protagonist in the next one we would get it and appreciate it, but at the moment it feels like a strange approach. We will wait and see how this game turns out and I hope for the best. Just Imagine seeing the next God of War game with "Boy" being the protagonist and ZERO appearance/reference to Kratos.

DaGwaphics

The difference in power draw from the 1600 base and the boost clock (1905) on the 5700xt is astounding. The curves on these things are never linear. A few hundred more MHz at the end makes a huge difference in power consumption. Would be interesting to see what the power consumption would look like between the chips in this hypothetical scenario.

With that said, Sony having a better cooling solution is not evidence of a 2GHz chip, maybe it just means they have a nice cooling system. We don't have clocks for XSX either, LOL.

LED Guy?

Banned
Oh you have a strong point there, I agree with you, because when you think about it, Sony spending on a 36 CU GPU with an expensive cooling solution and then ending up 30% less GPU grunt is really stupid for Sony to make that kind of decision and it doesn't even work in a console-like form.

So I think this is what they meant when they said they've spent in an elaborate cooling solution, you can even interpret it as in, they have made a proper cooling solution when compared to PS4 & PS4 Pro, so it'll have a cooling solution similar to Xbox Series X, so I think both will be 56 CUs, same GPUs and same cooling solutions.

Mod of War

Ω
Staff Member
If you want to continue the meta on this, take it to this thread here:

Return this thread back on topic, otherwise warnings and thread removals will be issued.

Thank you.

👀

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom