• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lort

Banned
Cerny is preparing himself for PS5 reveal.
0ByfPgO.jpg

This is gross sexist ugly childish and dare I say it gay?

Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

#justsaying

Last edited:

Chromata

Seems like news is starting to pick up again which is great, but at this point I'm fine with the reveal coming any time in the next few months.

If they're keeping people waiting this long, they better have a good showing. I mostly just want to see impressive next gen gameplay, please no "in engine" tech demos which may/may not represent actual game performance. If it means pushing the reveal back closer to E3 then I don't really mind.

SmokSmog

I also find it laughable that people believe that because Sony have a more expensive cooling solution that they must have a small high clocked chip, and that microsoft will have a larger, low clocked chip.
Unfortunately, a 56CU RDNA chip clocked at 1700MHz will emit more heat than a 36CU chip at 2GHz.
Wrong, there is something called clock/ voltage scaling for microprocessors.
Navi sweet spot is around 1700-1800MHZ.

Example;

Zen 1 architecture on 14nm, sweet spot at 3,5Ghz. Raising clock by just 14% increase voltage requirements and power consumption increase 2x !!!
02CFlUpDJ5AmLyLc0n_YaXQs7vT5IOGOtsUH3pf_uHcAgu581J1-wjxT-Ft07tRvK3JEY-jxLrdLosvL20XZa53sVYK8cSqaEQY28QYJ_A

Incresing Navi clock by 17% from 1700mhz to 2000mhz results in 52% power consumption jump.

Now multiply 36cu by 1,52 and you have 56cu at 1700mhz consuming slightly more than 36cu at 2ghz

I don't believe in 2GHZ GPU in PS5, If sony console will have 2ghz this will be desperate move or it will be on 7nm EUV

Last edited:

Sinthor

Gold Member
I also find it laughable that people believe that because Sony have a more expensive cooling solution that they must have a small high clocked chip, and that microsoft will have a larger, low clocked chip.
Unfortunately, a 56CU RDNA chip clocked at 1700MHz will emit more heat than a 36CU chip at 2GHz.

I was wondering about the math on that but I had thought the same. Bottom line all this speculation is just that...speculation. I think it's funny that people think one side or the other is 'confident' while the other is 'shaken.' The Bloomberg article indicates that component costs have cause some pricing considerations for Sony and it's a fools dream to believe it would not affect MS similarly unless their design somehow forgoes those same parts (not likely). You know...that's likely the reason that NEITHER has announced pricing, etc. They are both probably hoping that supplies ease up and will allow more aggressive pricing models. They don't NEED to announce pricing until they allow pre-orders, frankly. We'll know before much longer but I'm sure they are scrambling to try and execute their respective strategies DESPITE what seems to be a CF incident on the component side.

Sinthor

Gold Member
As the thread has cooled down a bit, I wanna talk about the problems @Niked was referring to in TLOU2:

First, I think they've rewritten the script after the backlash they've had with no Joel in it, and having some SJW agenda behind hating the idea of the "typical white guy" protagonist. The same reason why Days Gone got bombarded for having a white guy protagonist. And to pretend that the industry is 100% agenda-free that's wishful thinking.

Anyway, I think they've ditched Joel out of the story, and with all the questions from fans about him they've kept quite, nothing about him. They've spent months (or more than a year?) to suddenly bring him in a smart fashion as if they were thinking to surprise us of his comeback. They must've made up his existence again to avoid clashing with the fans, skipping the existence of the "MAIN" protagonist as if we are skipping from season 1 to season 3 in a series! I really don't care if she's lesbian because I knew that since the first installment when she was playing with her other female friend. But I have BIG problems if they were planning to axe Joel just for being a typical white man. I'm Arabian not white anyway, but I don't like any shitty agendas to be the core drive behind a game.

If we had that transition in the 2nd then his daughter becomes the protagonist in the next one we would get it and appreciate it, but at the moment it feels like a strange approach. We will wait and see how this game turns out and I hope for the best. Just Imagine seeing the next God of War game with "Boy" being the protagonist and ZERO appearance/reference to Kratos.

Well, I sure hope they haven't handled Joel a certain way because of any SJW type of agenda as well! Look, I'm fine with story narratives being ANY race, but we can't get around the fact that when making such a choice on a character, developers have to PICK some race basically for their character. Games that are NOT highly story driven like say a Dark Souls, I think it's important to allow people to make a character that they want to see and/or that resembles themselves. Now, European/American developers ARE more likely to fashion characters that resemble themselves. That could be a range of colors/races but bottom line, those choices aren't RACIST. If anything they represent BIAS, which is something we all have. Like the studies that show how if you go into a crowded room to eat lunch, you're likely to sit with the group of people that more closely resemble yourself- could be race, or how you're dressed or even perceived social-economic status that drives this, but again it's BIAS, not RACISM.

Now, one thing that I HOPE that the advancing GPU's and graphic technologies will allow eventually is the ability to truly customize the character even in a story driven game. Imagine being able to play TLOU2 and choose to have Joel and Ellie as black, or Asian or Arabic or...whatever. You get the point. That would be pretty cool. Then unless a story had specific cultural elements, people could customize them to represent themselves more closely- IF THEY WANT TO. For me personally, I don't identify enough with game characters to care if I'm playing as some race other than my own and I don't 'feel funny' about playing a female character like in HZD. But if someone does...cool. Hopefully we'll get to the point where we can fully customize these games if we want.

For TLOU2... I have a different opinion on the Joel thing. Naughty Dog never planned on TLOU being a series. It was a one off as they said many times in interviews back around the original release. That's why we had more years than normal between then and now. So they picked up the story several years later- for a few reasons I think. First, if they hadn't and Ellie was say 14 or 15 instead of 12,13...it would be pretty much the same dynamic in the first game. She wouldn't be as physically capable, etc. So, they make it five years later when she's a woman. Well, Joel was relatively mature in the first game...50's I believe. So five more years would likely change a good deal about his character. This choice allows them to transition to Ellie being the primary character sooner than it would have felt natural to do so if they'd made the sequel based on being right after the first game or a year even after those events.

With this time change it allowed them to tease the audience. Was Joel dead by now? Would he appear? I think that was just marketing. Teasing people and finally revealing that he's there. Now I don't expect Joel to be in there a whole ton. Again...the dynamic of this game has changed and seems to be more oriented on a single protagonist.

Ugh..long post- sorry! Bottom line, I think the Joel thing was just smart marketing and they're taking advantage of the time elapsed in the game world between both titles to ensure that the dynamics and game play of TLOU2 can be changed and more "fresh" to everyone. I think it's just smart marketing. As for the lesbian deal...well, it's hardly a surprise, right? We KNOW that Naughty Dog leadership are big SJW advocates but they have been very smart in not pushing those issues in their games. I don't expect they will here either. It's just a story element and really I think things are better that way. Having flashing neon signs to point out SJW issues is not as effective IMHO as just integrating elements seamlessly into a story.

Outriders - Classes and Powers | PS5, PS4

That's the title. You should see it on a proper screen to notice draw distance, sharpness, native 4K, even with all the compression on youtube. Don't take it as a true next gen but a welcome start as a cross gen title.
I have seen it on an iPad Pro of 12.9, these graphics are not even good being ps4, Dreams that came out today for example looks much higher graphically.

Sinthor

Gold Member
Sony has dropped like 3 new specific trailers about Outriders, if somebody is struggling to see anything good (smartpohne, below 4K TV/monitor), I think you should watch it on your 4K smart TV at 4K. It looks cross gen, but very good actually, not bad.

I think it looks good for sure. I expect that the biggest difference this next generation will be the lighting and effects, really. I don't know that I've seen a huge difference visually between HD and 4k. Maybe it would take having pictures side by side and on a 4k monitor? But even on a "normal" HD set, I expect the lighting, effects and particle, etc. to be a noticeable upgrade. Perhaps we'll see more difference in character faces and expressions...some of the graphic demo's I've seen online, although not game related seem to point to that with the character faces and expressions being much improved. Character models used to see creepy to me and I think it was the eyes. It was like cadavers walking around because while the characters looked good, their eyes were 'dead.' I've seen some graphic demos now where eyes look 'alive' and sparkle. So those are the big improvements I expect this time around. We'll see!

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Sony has dropped like 3 new specific trailers about Outriders, if somebody is struggling to see anything good (smartpohne, below 4K TV/monitor), I think you should watch it on your 4K smart TV at 4K. It looks cross gen, but very good actually, not bad.

These cinematic trailers look nothing like the real game.

That recent video with the devs talking combined with real gameplay clips shows a mundane cover shooter. Something that might be decent as a launch game for Xbox One and PS4 OG years ago.

nikolino840

I think some people are forgetting, that if Sony's console is getting more expensive to build, likely means that Microsoft's console is getting more expensive to build.
It's not like they're both using wildly different technologies. They will both be using broadly similar components which are probably supplied by broadly the same manufacturers.

Heck of Microsofts console has an APU that is 100+ square millimetres larger than Sony's with more RAM on a wider memory bus, it's gonna get even more expensive to build.
Yes but Is hard to reach 106mil console,then we see also Sony counting players instead of consoles out there ;) Sony have to beat Sony, not Microsoft

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Well, I sure hope they haven't handled Joel a certain way because of any SJW type of agenda as well! Look, I'm fine with story narratives being ANY race, but we can't get around the fact that when making such a choice on a character, developers have to PICK some race basically for their character. Games that are NOT highly story driven like say a Dark Souls, I think it's important to allow people to make a character that they want to see and/or that resembles themselves. Now, European/American developers ARE more likely to fashion characters that resemble themselves. That could be a range of colors/races but bottom line, those choices aren't RACIST. If anything they represent BIAS, which is something we all have. Like the studies that show how if you go into a crowded room to eat lunch, you're likely to sit with the group of people that more closely resemble yourself- could be race, or how you're dressed or even perceived social-economic status that drives this, but again it's BIAS, not RACISM.

Now, one thing that I HOPE that the advancing GPU's and graphic technologies will allow eventually is the ability to truly customize the character even in a story driven game. Imagine being able to play TLOU2 and choose to have Joel and Ellie as black, or Asian or Arabic or...whatever. You get the point. That would be pretty cool. Then unless a story had specific cultural elements, people could customize them to represent themselves more closely- IF THEY WANT TO. For me personally, I don't identify enough with game characters to care if I'm playing as some race other than my own and I don't 'feel funny' about playing a female character like in HZD. But if someone does...cool. Hopefully we'll get to the point where we can fully customize these games if we want.

For TLOU2... I have a different opinion on the Joel thing. Naughty Dog never planned on TLOU being a series. It was a one off as they said many times in interviews back around the original release. That's why we had more years than normal between then and now. So they picked up the story several years later- for a few reasons I think. First, if they hadn't and Ellie was say 14 or 15 instead of 12,13...it would be pretty much the same dynamic in the first game. She wouldn't be as physically capable, etc. So, they make it five years later when she's a woman. Well, Joel was relatively mature in the first game...50's I believe. So five more years would likely change a good deal about his character. This choice allows them to transition to Ellie being the primary character sooner than it would have felt natural to do so if they'd made the sequel based on being right after the first game or a year even after those events.

With this time change it allowed them to tease the audience. Was Joel dead by now? Would he appear? I think that was just marketing. Teasing people and finally revealing that he's there. Now I don't expect Joel to be in there a whole ton. Again...the dynamic of this game has changed and seems to be more oriented on a single protagonist.

Ugh..long post- sorry! Bottom line, I think the Joel thing was just smart marketing and they're taking advantage of the time elapsed in the game world between both titles to ensure that the dynamics and game play of TLOU2 can be changed and more "fresh" to everyone. I think it's just smart marketing. As for the lesbian deal...well, it's hardly a surprise, right? We KNOW that Naughty Dog leadership are big SJW advocates but they have been very smart in not pushing those issues in their games. I don't expect they will here either. It's just a story element and really I think things are better that way. Having flashing neon signs to point out SJW issues is not as effective IMHO as just integrating elements seamlessly into a story.

Well said, mate. You just got confused on the first paragraph as I really don't care much about the race of the character as long it fits the environment/culture :messenger_winking_tongue: . But some reviewers, if you've been checking, have been giving Days Gone extremely bad reviews just for being "boring white protagonist!". It's so insulting to read as Days Gone is one of the best written/acted games I've ever played with an amazing, naturally-acted protagonist. And I hate zombie games! So it takes a lot to pull my attention on such a game.

The rest is probable, as it can go either way, but still smells fishy. I'm more than sure it'll be at least "a very good" game being ND. Just worries me that they've already planned to ditch Nathan Drake probably for the same reason I mentioned and hinting for his daughter as his successor:messenger_anxious:.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I think it looks good for sure. I expect that the biggest difference this next generation will be the lighting and effects, really. I don't know that I've seen a huge difference visually between HD and 4k. Maybe it would take having pictures side by side and on a 4k monitor? But even on a "normal" HD set, I expect the lighting, effects and particle, etc. to be a noticeable upgrade. Perhaps we'll see more difference in character faces and expressions...some of the graphic demo's I've seen online, although not game related seem to point to that with the character faces and expressions being much improved. Character models used to see creepy to me and I think it was the eyes. It was like cadavers walking around because while the characters looked good, their eyes were 'dead.' I've seen some graphic demos now where eyes look 'alive' and sparkle. So those are the big improvements I expect this time around. We'll see!

I use a 55" 4K tv for my PC, PS4 Pro. So I can easily notice that it's much sharper than current gen and has much better draw distance. But the quality of the elements is mediocre and that's understandable as it looks more like a current gen game on a high-end PC on ultra settings, with no RT, nothing more.

Last edited:

Imtjnotu

I use a 55" 4K tv for my PC, PS4 Pro. So I can easily notice that it's much sharper than current gen and has much better draw distance. But the quality of the elements is mediocre and that's understandable as it looks more like a current gen game on a high-end PC on ultra settings, with no RT, nothing more.
I csnt wait to get a smaller oled this year for gaming. Using my bed as a chair for my c9 is killing me

nikolino840

55" with PC? I hope in the couch and not with the face on the screen like being in the First row in a theater :D

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I csnt wait to get a smaller oled this year for gaming. Using my bed as a chair for my c9 is killing me

I'm going for 65" Sony H900X next + PS5, I sit on an adjustable chair like 2 meters away and I think 55" needs to get bigger a little :messenger_tears_of_joy: (5 meters when on bed watching Netflix). If I have enough cash at that time might just jump to 75", or might make that big jump when PS5 Pro comes with MicroLED tech being available at a reasonable price. When you sit on bed just be sure to have enough pillows behind you and one underneath your knees to avoid having harmful pain in them.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: TLZ

Fake

My next TV will be Bravia 43 inch. Tired of my 4k 40 inch Samsung. By easy the worst TV I ever get. Take note never buy Samsung TVs on Brazil. They're terrible.

Anw, still kinda soft spot for LED tvs and I never tested any Bravia TV with those 'Trumilius display'. For me 4K 43 inch will be just fine for PS5 I guess.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
My next TV will be Bravia 43 inch. Tired of my 4k 40 inch Samsung. By easy the worst TV I ever get. Take not never buy Samsung TVs on Brazil. They're terrible.

Anw, still kinda soft spot for LED tvs and I never tested any Bravia TV with those 'Trumilius display'. For me 4K 43 inch will be just fine for PS5 I guess.

If you're going for Bravia, only one model will 100% support HDMI 2.1 features for gaming, and that's XH90 (X900H).

Sizes are: 55", 65", 75", 85"

Be carefull when picking your next TV, the smallest with full HDMI 2.1 support is LG CX 48". But wait and see

• Thoughtful
Reactions: TLZ

Fake

If you're going for Bravia, only one model will 100% support HDMI 2.1 features for gaming, and that's XH90 (X900H).

Sizes are: 55", 65", 75", 85"

Be carefull when picking your next TV, the smallest with full HDMI 2.1 support is LG CX 48". But wait and see

Will not my last TV. I'll get a cheap Bravia TV. Maybe after 2 years Sony make a TV only for PS5 porpuse.
I'll finally take advance of 4K and HDR. Never used HDR before.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Will not my last TV. I'll get a cheap Bravia TV. Maybe after 2 years Sony make a TV only for PS5 porpuse.
In take gonna take advance of 4K and HDR. Never used HDR before.

TCL 6-Series is also an amazing choice for a good price and great for gaming, put it in your radar.

bitbydeath

I think they intended a $400 price tag but the ram price jumped considerably, making them possibly have to price it at the same price as the (theoretically) more powerful Xbox Series X.

If we go by the bloomberg article they were intending to go $499 at best since it was originally $400? alone just on parts. Once you throw everything else on such as manufacturing, packaging and the store cut it’d equal $500 at minimum.

Sinthor

Gold Member
Well said, mate. You just got confused on the first paragraph as I really don't care much about the race of the character as long it fits the environment/culture :messenger_winking_tongue: . But some reviewers, if you've been checking, have been giving Days Gone extremely bad reviews just for being "boring white protagonist!". It's so insulting to read as Days Gone is one of the best written/acted games I've ever played with an amazing, naturally-acted protagonist. And I hate zombie games! So it takes a lot to pull my attention on such a game.

The rest is probable, as it can go either way, but still smells fishy. I'm more than sure it'll be at least "a very good" game being ND. Just worries me that they've already planned to ditch Nathan Drake probably for the same reason I mentioned and hinting for his daughter as his successor:messenger_anxious:.

Yeah, I wasn't directing that first paragraph at you, just the general issue. As you mentioned...Days Gone got ripped for this. But they have to pick SOME race and again, Western devs tending to pick a Western type character, isn't racist. And that's a good example of what I was saying where I hope that in the future you could choose to make the protagonist whatever race you want and the story would just flow.

Yeah, I agree about Uncharted. Pretty obvious that UC4 was the retirement party for Nathan Drake and that the daughter is being setup for future stories. Again, I don't have a problem with it per se, but I don't really like the idea that the change was done because of #it'stimeforwomen! or something like that. I think the pendulum will inevitably swing back again from this extreme wokeness..it's just a matter of when and how long.

Edit: exchanged 'wokeness' for 'woeness' :)

Last edited:

Sinthor

Gold Member
Yeah, I haven't upgraded to 4K yet though especially with this next gen coming up I'm seriously thinking about it. I've had my TV for a bit over 4 years now. So...while I hadn't necessarily PLANNED on upgrading so relatively soon, this 4k and even 8k wave makes me feel like I need to make sure I can stay up to date. Maybe not for EVERY bell and whistle but the differences in resolution between 1080p, 4k and 8k are pretty darn significant!

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Yeah, I wasn't directing that first paragraph at you, just the general issue. As you mentioned...Days Gone got ripped for this. But they have to pick SOME race and again, Western devs tending to pick a Western type character, isn't racist. And that's a good example of what I was saying where I hope that in the future you could choose to make the protagonist whatever race you want and the story would just flow.

Yeah, I agree about Uncharted. Pretty obvious that UC4 was the retirement party for Nathan Drake and that the daughter is being setup for future stories. Again, I don't have a problem with it per se, but I don't really like the idea that the change was done because of #it'stimeforwomen! or something like that. I think the pendulum will inevitably swing back again from this extreme woeness..it's just a matter of when and how long.

Yup, Deacon St. John (Days Gone) was just PERFECT. Nathan Drake as well. But there will always be Kratos to restore some missing testosterone in the industry :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Yeah, I haven't upgraded to 4K yet though especially with this next gen coming up I'm seriously thinking about it. I've had my TV for a bit over 4 years now. So...while I hadn't necessarily PLANNED on upgrading so relatively soon, this 4k and even 8k wave makes me feel like I need to make sure I can stay up to date. Maybe not for EVERY bell and whistle but the differences in resolution between 1080p, 4k and 8k are pretty darn significant!

I should tell you in advance, 8K is very noticeable upgrade over 4K. I've been been using 55" LG 4K in 2015 then year later bought the PS4 Pro + 55" Sony DX70 for HDR and better input lag. 8K as like 20-30% picture quality, it's actually when you stop photography and simply go full videography as you can easily pick stills out of 8K, especially if it's RAW 12-bit that looks 99% like a RAW image. 8K is 33.2MP, 4K is 8.2MP, 1080P is 2.1MP:messenger_face_screaming:

I was tempted to buy the Samusng Q900R 65" QLED for like $3900 after a discount. Not sure if I'll go for that stunt as it'll exceed even my photos resolution, and I'm still with 4K@60fps videos at the moment. Just waiting for TCL 8-Series (8K)/6-Series + Sony XH90 at the moment later this year or early 2021 for a discount.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Talking about the next gen pricing, our official PS4 + PS4 Pro release price was $470. The question is: does Sony compensate for the losses on other markets outside the US? Our taxes are very low in comparison, so taxes have nothing to do with it.

Last edited:

Sinthor

Gold Member
Talking about the next gen pricing, our official PS4 + PS4 Pro release price was $470. The question is: does Sony compensate for the losses on other markets outside the US? Our taxes are very low in comparison, so taxes have nothing to do with it.

But that's probably the result of a VAT tax or some kind of import tax, right? I can't imagine there would be that much cost just in shipping to a region, so it HAS to be something like that, right?

Raploz

TCL don't sell tvs here in Brazil. We got a very limited brands like LG, Samsung and Sony.

They do sell TVs here actually.

The smallest 4K HDR TV I could find from them here is the 50P65US. It's available in many stores like Submarino and Ponto Frio.

The problem is most TVs now don't support HDMI 2.1. If you care about VRR for next gen you shouldn't buy a TV now from any brand.

hardseppo

I feel ashamed of Phil Spencer and MS as they can promote and promote fans of the likes of MrXmedia giving them notoriety and popularity. That a brand is represented by those values makes me see that that brand lacks category. I can't imagine Apple acting this way. Phil Spencer makes the ridiculous answering Tim and the rest of the fans. If those are Xbox values, they won't see a euro, whether it's 12 or 20 Tflops.
You feel ashamed of a division-boss to talk to fans on twitter? I mean some of you guys are really something... it's actually very cool that he finds the time to reply to people. You know he doesn't have to?

And do you expect Phil to read all those 961 pages on GAF and keep up with it everyday?

Very amusing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom