• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kusarigama

Any credible insider hint at the PSM date yet?
PSErebus says PS meeting announcement and invites will be sent out February for a event in March.

Some folks don't consider twitter account @PSErebus to be credible but that account did get the release date of TLOU2 correct and also hinted at Shawn Layden's departure day before it was announced.

Other things it claims are a 499USD price, 2TB SDD, BC with PS1,2,3 and 4. and a November 20th release date.

Time will tell.

Rim

PSErebus says PS meeting announcement and invites will be sent out February for a event in March.

Some folks don't consider twitter account @PSErebus to be credible but that account did get the release date of TLOU2 correct and also hinted at Shawn Layden's departure day before it was announced.

Other things it claims are a 499USD price, 2TB SDD, BC with PS1,2,3 and 4. and a November 20th release date.

Time will tell.
He also hinted for an december event.

The truth is that I have already lost the excitement for this type of thing, as none of the rumors have been fulfilled so far, we have no acquisitions of Sony or MS companies announced, there is no presentation of the PS5 this month, there is no game state ... well I start to not believe in anyone that is not an official source.

Oh and I forgot, February 17 and Horizon has not been announced this month. At this step neither Jason is right.

Rim

The truth is that I have already lost the excitement for this type of thing, as none of the rumors have been fulfilled so far, we have no acquisitions of Sony or MS companies announced, there is no presentation of the PS5 this month, there is no game state ... well I start to not believe in anyone that is not an official source.
Oh shit that's right. Weren't there rumors of that? Sony was about to announce a new studio acquisition "soon". Hinted 2 months ago.

IkarugaDE

I start to believe the PS5 devkit-design could be the final design of the PS5 or looks similar at least.

Let's check the devkits of PS1, PS3 and PS5 first. You could also look at the devkits of the original XBOX, GameCube and Dreamcast as a bonus. Remarkably, all these more looks like a tower PC / rack workstation than a console. And as we all know they have nothing to do with the final product.

Next let's check the PS2 DevKit:

PS2-Dev-Kit.jpg

It's very striking the DevKit looks similar to the final product. Expressed in a simple way you only need to remove the left box/extension to nearly get the final PS2 design.

After I saw that I noticed the following facts:

1. The PS2 devkit is the only PlayStation DevKit which looks like the final console (it's only significantly larger and has this Extension on the lft)
2. It Looks completely different compared to the other DevKits from Sony and some of their competitor

Next I researched the official design-registrations from PS2, PS3, and PS4 consoles and devkits:

PS2 (Release: 04-03-2000)
Console: Application date 10-12-1999, priority date 26-08-1999 (design number: 99077509)
DevKit: Application date 10-12-1999, priority date 26-08-1999 (design number: 99077507)

PS3 (Release: 11-11-2006)
Console: Application date 21-10-2005, priority date 16-05-2005 (design number: 000419411-0001)
DevKit: Application date 18-10-2006, priority date 08-05-2006 (design number: 000610860)

PS4 (Release: 15-11-2013)
Console: Application date 12-11-2013, priority date 16-05-2013 (design number: 302013005786)
DevKit: Application date 31-05-2016, priority date 02-12-2015 (design number: 302016002257)

PS5
DevKit: Application date 28-05-2019, priority date 30-11-2018 (design number: 302019002287)

You can also check the registrations @ https://www.tmdn.org/tmdsview-web/welcome.html#. Use the advanced search and copy&paste the design numbers at the design number field.

When checking the list there is one interesting fact: While the PS3 and PS4 devkit designs where registiered noticeably after the console-design itself (and the PS4 devkit after the official release), the design of the PS2 devkit and the console itself where registered at the exact same date - also the priority date is exaclty the same.

So, summarized after seeing all of these facts I came to the solution it could be quite possible the PS5 devkit shows the final console design in any way. Furthermore the devkits of the PS2, PS3 and PS4 where monsters compared with the final products. After we still saw some PS4 Controllers near to the PS5 devkit the devkit is definitely smaller than any of the previous ones.

Logically it could just be Sony goes another way for the actual console generation, registiered the devkit earlier and the final console will have a complete other design - or I did a mistake on my search.

Last edited:

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.

Time will tell.
499. 2 TB SSD. With reports that they are struggling with part cost. ROFL! SSD size is the first thing you cut when you want to reduce the BOM.

Sony would never sell two variants of the same console..

Just like apple wouldn’t sell two iPhones, or nvidia two graphics cards, or ford two cars.

The whole idea that some people want a cheap console and others want to pay more for higher res .. is ridiculous.
Lol what ?

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
All fanboy teasing aside, Dreams looks pretty damn good, might have to give it a blow.

As for 2tb SSD, man, I wish, but it’s about the least likely thing I can think of. Hell even a 9tf ps5 is more likely than a 2tb SSD.

Last edited:

Time will tell.
Nope. That should have been an immediate red flag for you.

No way will PS5 have backwards compatibility with PS1, 2 and especially 3.

No way its launching at 499 either.

And no way it's coming with 2TB as standard.

FranXico

Time will tell.
I doubt it. As you know, people don't consider PSErebus credible with good reason.

PocoJoe

Banned
Do people really think consoles will be in par with Nvidia's high end gpu's? Especially since PC's don't use TF metric to determine which GPU is stronger than the next one. So it's stupid to compare a 12TF console to a RTX 2080. The PC gpu will always win. This is really mind boggling to me.

That is logic of simpletons.

PC = more raw perf, but some is Lost into brute forcing stuff because of thousands of combinations (parts)

Consoles = less raw perf but closed system allows them to be highly tuned to use all available resources

= "Slower" console can output better graphics than pc on best cases.

It's kind of like american 5.0L muscle car engine vs japanese 2.0 10000rpm turbo beast, smaller can be faster when the whole car weights less.

DrDamn

Nope. That should have been an immediate red flag for you.

No way will PS5 have backwards compatibility with PS1, 2 and especially 3.

No way its launching at 499 either.

And no way it's coming with 2TB as standard.

I'd say of those only the 2TB is the red flag. The other two are possible, and I think 499 is more likely than the BC.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Why ? What’s the year of dream for Xbox ? Launching yet another expensive hardware is year of dream ? Help me understand the thought process 👀🤔

The new Xbox slogan is...
zOuEymb.png

As for the red flags, I would say 2tb is 99% no, and $499.99 is likely, but $449.99 more so.

As for the PS1/2/3, Sony would be utterly bloody stupid to NOT do it, and all but 3 are certain I would say. But if they didn’t do them, they would be missing out big time. I know some people here are anti BC, but BC is utterly incredible and well loved (when done right).

Last edited:
Do we know the specs of the hardware powering these creations?
I don't think so, but I'd guess it's nothing super-expensive.

He goes into the technicals a bit in this video at 4:22 but does not mention the hardware that was used.

EDIT: Frame rate and system specs talk at 13:11.

- 2560x1440 at 60fps in the editor
- Core i9-9900K + 32GB RAM + GeForce RTX 2080 Ti + 7200rpm HDD

He thinks the scene could run on an average PC. Estimated fps at 100 with optimizations.

Last edited:
The new Xbox slogan is...
zOuEymb.png

As for the red flags, I would say 2tb is 99% no, and $499.99 is likely, but $449.99 more so.

As for the PS1/2/3, Sony would be utterly bloody stupid to NOT do it, and all but 3 are certain I would say. But if they didn’t do them, they would be missing out big time. I know some people here are anti BC, but BC is utterly incredible and well loved (when done right).
Xbox X (Scorpio): "World's most powerful console"
Xbox Series X: "Power your dreams"

They can't say they have the most powerful console this time, but they still succeeded in using the word "power" in their Series X slogan. Smart.

Mass Shift

I don't know, a simple reveal doesn't add up to me anymore. Sony is skipping E3, so I don't see two press events coming together.

There's likely to be ONE large event. Reveal - Games - PSVR2 - Launch Date. If they're still waiting for MS' price points for X and S they can always hold that off till later.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
But to be fair, there's a lot of people that pretty much just afford and play used games, trading titles in to get more used games. Those people will not go to an all digital console as while the CONSOLE itself might be affordable, they can't afford more than a game or two a year. People who spend a lot of time posting on the internet often don't have that issue, but let me tell you, lots of people in the really, real world DO.

It's easy to sit back and say "just save some money FFS!" and talk like it's not hard, but life IS hard for the majority of the world. Life is hard for the majority of people on this planet. I don't see physical media going away just yet. Digital is NOT cheap enough. MAYBE, true 5G will help change that. Maybe.. Oh...and that's if it doesn't just give us all testicular cancer! Good times!

Life is hard for some, that's why I tend to giveaway all my old games for free for my friends. Problem is I'm now all digital. When PS4 Pro came I gave my PS4 to a friends with 2 disk to enjoy, and he had fun with it and he's sadly still not doing great.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
All fanboy teasing aside, Dreams looks pretty damn good, might have to give it a blow.

As for 2tb SSD, man, I wish, but it’s about the least likely thing I can think of. Hell even a 9tf ps5 is more likely than a 2tb SSD.
2TB SSD wouldn't make any sense. Games will already be use less space because we are using an SSD so there's no reason to double the size if we are able to manage already.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gudji

They can't say they have the most powerful console this time, but they still succeeded in using the word "power" in their Series X slogan. Smart.

Reminds me of this:

05121330217202.jpg

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Is it a sure thing price has to be announced for pre-orders to begin?

There's plenty of stuff you can pre-order on Amazon that doesn't have a price yet, so it's not a law or anything, but the manufacturers may not want them to put pre-orders up until the price is out.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'

They have repeatedly said that the Xbox series X is the “fastest most poweful” and are using that slogan everywhere.

Whether or not it’s actually the fastest most powerful console, or just Xbox, doesn’t matter. These consoles will be closer than ever before, and to think otherwise (or worse, Hope) is so wrong.

THE:MILKMAN

There's plenty of stuff you can pre-order on Amazon that doesn't have a price yet, so it's not a law or anything, but the manufacturers may not want them to put pre-orders up until the price is out.

How about specifically to consoles? Have pre-orders started before price announcements in previous generations? Just wondering about the rumoured pre-orders for PS5 start next month (granted it is from Erebus but still).

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Hmmmm he me tioned cu's I think being around 54cus but I dint remember.

If it's 54 CU's that will confirm the 18+18+18 (triple butterfly?) even if it's unified but through some programming they can activate/deactivate 18 (54>36>18).

And then when the Xbox is 56 CU and it's clocked lower then explains how they can have the edge later on as HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 said. But probably Sony added more RT so it performs better with RT than Xbox with RT. While probably the sound tracing is a chip outside the GPU made by Sony itself directly, it is hardware based. Sony is one of the top tier companies if not the best when it comes to sound quality along with bose and sennheiser.

And that's how it can get minimal advantage in TF count with cheap cooling and form design.

Probably both are using the Radeon VII die as a platform for that? Explains the HBM2 rumors (even though if it ends up being GDDR6) and why Radeon VII has been discontinued quite early? :pie_thinking:

My Ass

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Life is hard for some, that's why I tend to giveaway all my old games for free for my friends. Problem is I'm now all digital. When PS4 Pro came I gave my PS4 to a friends with 2 disk to enjoy, and he had fun with it and he's sadly still not doing great.
Good man.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
How about specifically to consoles? Have pre-orders started before price announcements in previous generations? Just wondering about the rumoured pre-orders for PS5 start next month (granted it is from Erebus but still).

Honestly, I can't remember that far back. I got my Switch via Prime Now on the morning of release without a pre-order and the PS4 launch feels like a lifetime ago.

ruvikx

Banned

They can't say they "have the most powerful console" this time because Sony haven't even revealed their console yet, unlike when the One X arrived a full year after the PS4 Pro. Anything could happen, i.e. Sony could delay, revise their specs (unlikely) or something else, but it's namely down to the fact neither Microsoft nor Sony can specifically state their machine's power advantage/disadvantage versus the competition when that competition hasn't made its product public yet.

Even if Microsoft does know (behind the scenes), they're hardly likely to market their product based on inside information. Some in these sorts of threads are so desperate for confirmation either way we now see people clutching at anything (including early marketing buzzwords) to arrive at a definitive conclusion. That's not how it works.

THE:MILKMAN

Honestly, I can't remember that far back. I got my Switch via Prime Now on the morning of release without a pre-order and the PS4 launch feels like a lifetime ago.

No probs. TBH I find it a little hard to believe they would announce price this far out from release with all the variables possible in the mean time, not to mention the competition.

FranXico

Can someone summarize the most likely theory as to why a 9.*TF PS5 could possibly be within 10% of a 12TF XSX? CPU clocks? I mean, that’s gonna’ take a LOT of secret sauce, and didn’t MS say they were trying to move away from a major bottleneck this generation (The Jaguar being the bottleneck)?

How can the XSX have a 12TF GPU and NOT have a CPU bottleneck *if* the PS5 is only 10% weaker?
No way in hell would a 8-9TF GPU get you within 10% performance of a 12TF one. Who conflated the two things?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
It just seems insane that an exec would converse with whats basically a misterxmedia account, and barely coherent at that.

You don’t really see those types of crazies for Sony or Nintendo getting that level of recognition

Because most of them are enjoying their time with their consoles and don't envy other consoles for having the best GOTY games while receiving Crackdown 3. I remember how happy they were for Sony to have the Life of a Black Tiger, which is a shitty indie that no one really gave it a thought :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Gudji

They can't say they "have the most powerful console" this time because Sony haven't even revealed their console yet, unlike when the One X arrived a full year after the PS4 Pro. Anything could happen, i.e. Sony could delay, revise their specs (unlikely) or something else, but it's namely down to the fact neither Microsoft nor Sony can specifically state their machine's power advantage/disadvantage versus the competition when that competition hasn't made its product public yet.

Even if Microsoft does know (behind the scenes), they're hardly likely to market their product based on inside information. Some in these sorts of threads are so desperate for confirmation either way we now see people clutching at anything (including early marketing buzzwords) to arrive at a definitive conclusion. That's not how it works.

MS had no trouble marketing the Xbox One X back in 2016 as the world's most powerful console even without PS4 PRO being announced.
They also know each other specs at this point in time - just like they did back in 2013 -, so that's all you need to know.
They would have not missed the oportunity to say to the world at the TGAs "XSX the most powerful next-gen console releasing in holiday 2020". It's marketing 101.
I think these consoles are so close in power that like people have been saying here, some upclocking might give the edge to one or another.

Bergoglio

There's more.

Since the reveal, the marketing video announcement was ALL about power. No games, no Cameras, nothing. Just brutal power. Details in the video, creates your worlds, raw power. XSX trailer was all about power. Nothing else. This doesn't mean nothing, compared to PS5 specs; but that was their marketing, the way they presented the console to the world.

FranXico

There's more.

Since the reveal, the marketing video announcement was ALL about power. No games, no Cameras, nothing. Just brutal power. Details in the video, creates your worlds, raw power. XSX trailer was all about power. Nothing else. This doesn't mean nothing, compared to PS5 specs; but that was their marketing, the way they presented the console to the world.
They are around 99% sure to have the upper hand, but are wisely restraining bold claims in the unlikely case they don't because it would backfire.

Last edited:

Gudji

There's more.

They're sending the message "hey guys this time around we're continuing to be focused on gaming, no media shit".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom