• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gudji

There is an elephant in the room and that is, the more Sony stays silent after MS's spec flexing yesterday, the more likely it gets that PS5 is simply weaker one.

I know many thing Sony has their own schedule, and they do, but picture is being painted every day that passes and it creates a certain narrative that Sony would like to adrese if it had an answer for question people are looking for

What a bunch of nonsense.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Your true colors are showing... ;)

Do explain? Because I would like to think the exact opposite? It’s not that I don’t believe PS5 will have BC, hell, I’ve said all along it would be utterly stupid to NOT have it now.

Or is it because I don’t find DF to be fanboys like most around here?

What gives you the idea that my “true colours are showing” after everything I’ve posted including info that hasn’t been said before that puts the consoles on level pegging? Please, go on...?

Because you do know that just because your critical of something, it doesn’t make you a fanboy of the other... you know that, right?

Last edited:

bitbydeath

If I am not wrong,Matt or Klee (or both) in the other site said PS5 was delayed to 2020 because Sony wanted full compatibility with previous consoles,and they was having a hard time because they wanted everything working flawless.

RT wasn’t available in 2019 so that rumour wasn’t true. Sony also announced TLOU2 and Ghosts well in advanced for PS4 too.

44alltheway

BTW, Jim Ryan's main point of 'the bigger differences [vs PS4] have yet to be revealed' comment is about PS5 backwards compatibility will run "almost all" previous PlayStation games to date. (PS1, PS2, PS4 and PS3 included). This is gonna be the one big step forward for them in start of the next generation and a true meltdown.
And that's not all
Ok, just to make sure I'm not misreading this, you're saying that the PS5 will be backwards compatible with the PS1, 2, 3, and 4? You say "almost all" and then list all of their mainline consoles. Just making sure I'm not misinterpreting.

There is an elephant in the room and that is, the more Sony stays silent after MS's spec flexing yesterday, the more likely it gets that PS5 is simply weaker one.

I know many thing Sony has their own schedule, and they do, but picture is being painted every day that passes and it creates a certain narrative that Sony would like to adrese if it had an answer for question people are looking for
Soon you have to walk all these back . That would be fun to witness 👀😂

johnjohn

Now you see, you’ve lost me now, because while it’s bloody obvious Sony would want to add BC (even after making their fans believe for years it was shit), what you just said riled me up, because you see...

...you said it with BIAS.

A true meltdown? Why? Xbox Series X already confirmed all previous generations work on it. And while yes, PlayStations back catalog is quite simply utterly incredible to have, the way you just said what you said makes me see a bias in favour of Sony.

And now, because I’ve seen that, I can’t take anything you say seriously, because it will forever come across as you favouring one over the other.

Sorry pal, I’m out.
Yup, he's a MistXmedia type. Talking about how PS5 is so much more advanced than SeX lol.

Disco_

If I am not wrong,Matt or Klee (or both) in the other site said PS5 was delayed to 2020 because Sony wanted full compatibility with previous consoles,and they was having a hard time because they wanted everything working flawless.
They both said sony wanted better BC. They wanted it perfect. There was no mention of full bc with all previous consoles. It could very well mean they wanted to iron out the kinks they had with the PRO and regular ps4 games to make sure ps5 didn't have the same issues. Matt even said yesterday that ps5 will have enhanced bc with ps4.

Falc67

Everyone can predicate a PS5 Pro in a few years,since Sony themselves has said PS4 Pro was a success and they could repeat the same,so a PS5 Pro and another Xbox in 2,3 years is expected,and lol VFX said he will stop to provide information about new consoles, but what information from him has so far been right?

He has correctly predicted Sony exclusives going to PC, and he has extensive knowledge in VFX/CG. But I can’t get my head around anyone entertaining the idea of a mid gen refresh 30% more powerful than its successor.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
New PlayStation design...
qZ2o7um.png

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
You weren't alarmed when he said PS5 would be 13.3 or 13.5TF? 😅

Well, I’ve given my reasons as to why I say 10.5-11.5, but at least it’s not “there’s a pro that’s out at release but also two years later!” 🤣 so while those tf figures he gave are baba, they could also be, I dunno, something... maybe... I don’t know, but no, I don’t buy it for a second.

Software emulation is not 100% bc.

No but the trouble with just blanket saying “all past titles” is that a bloody shit load of them are just not possible anymore to be downloaded online due to licensing issues and publishers going bump and all sorts. But you could still offer disk based emulation.

Last edited:

Gudji

Am I guessing right that MS can claim 12TF when it's really 11.8?

Well yeah, it wouldn't be that big of a deal.
Sony during PSM 2013 when they were talking about technical details also said "almost two teraflops of computing power". It's more like ~1.84 TF, they just boosted the number a little bit.

Last edited:

demigod

No but the trouble with just blanket saying “all past titles” is that a bloody shit load of them are just not possible anymore to be downloaded online due to licensing issues and publishers going bump and all sorts. But you could still offer disk based emulation.

I don't think you understand what software emulation is.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Wow. Just amazing.

So not only did I preface what was told to me that "my text conversation was flaky" and "I'm a little confused about what was said but I'm not going to push for clarification", I still called a console-hater, crazy in the mind for even mentioning such ludicrous things and that I'm a PC master race who doesn't want to see Sony thrive and succeed. I'm getting ridiculed for being banned on ResetERA due to fighting fanboys and defending my stance on graphics development (putting ERA in a good light for banning me) and I'm being scrutinized here -- all for telling what someone legit from the industry has told me.

Am I making this stuff up to piss people off? Really?

I've read through 10 pages of people calling out 'insiders' fake and don't know what they are talking about.. people calling for bans, etc ..

I just realized that I don't and will not say anything more. If the insiders in this forum is getting bashed for saying things that go against what gamers of either platform want to hear and only get ridiculed for it, what's the reason why any of us should speak at all? Who wants to put people in the industry on the line when they only get a bashing for it?

I'm done with telling any more information about these platforms. When it all comes out, people can make fun of or complain about the companies decisions at that point in time. I no longer want to participate in giving up anything I have to a bunch of unthankful and rude people.

Hello, wither your assumptions turn out wrong or true, if you feel bothered from my behalf then I'm sorry. Facts are that 2080ti will be mid-range soon if the latest news are right about Big Navi packing 80 CU's and 3080 around 84? CU's. You know that anyway. Next gen consoles will crush the majority of gaming PC's, something higher than 99% of them when released. Probably within a 1-2 years the 12TF will be the new budget-mid-range power for PC.

You can't argue over the price of buying soft drink from a restaurant than having a special deal with the factory and have bare-minimal price for them. At this point comparing PC gaming to next gen is a joke, either buy the new behemoth cards or go back to consoles or do whatever you like just don't make a funny comparison of graphics card price vs consoles, if it was that easy then the 2080Ti should be priced below $400 mark.

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
I don't think you understand what software emulation is.

Erm? What? No you’re not understanding.

Emulation is emulation. Either it’s done via hardware, where you have the actual hardware in the box (early ps3, and ps2 with ps1 games, for example), or you emulate at the software level, which can introduce more issues but hey, cheaper.

What I said had zero to do with the method used of emulation, more so that the games themselves cannot all be placed online on the PlayStation store, due to legal reasons. There is nothing stopping somebody sticking a disk in the drive they already own, but that’s up to Sony on if they will even allow that.

Last edited:

Banned
If they do BC with PS1 games, they really need to increase the resolution on the games, they look like shit (on my PS Classic).

absolutely, and that should not be an issue as any android and pc emulator can do that easily.

with that bein said, some PS1 games still have issues when played on emulators.
I tried running Mega Man Legends 2 and ePSXe shat itself trying to run it.
massive audio issues and weird stutters.

He has correctly predicted Sony exclusives going to PC, and he has extensive knowledge in VFX/CG. But I can’t get my head around anyone entertaining the idea of a mid gen refresh 30% more powerful than its successor.
But he wasn't the first to predicted Sony exclusives going to PC,wasn't a russian guy? With Death Stranding and latter the same with Horizon Zero Dawn?And for the next consoles,he got nothing right so far,changing all the time what he says.
They both said sony wanted better BC. They wanted it perfect. There was no mention of full bc with all previous consoles. It could very well mean they wanted to iron out the kinks they had with the PRO and regular ps4 games to make sure ps5 didn't have the same issues. Matt even said yesterday that ps5 will have enhanced bc with ps4.
Yeah,you are right,they didn't mention full BC.But I will not be surprised if Sony achieved that.

Last edited:

DJ12

This is the thing that's keeping me from buying these leaks. What financial incentive does sony have to allow ps1-3 games to play on ps5?The publishers can't sell many of those games anymore, they lack the licenses/rights to them. Even some 1st party titles would have long ago lost whatever music rights they had.
I'd love to pop in Thrasher or high heat 2001 for the lols but I can't see this profiting sony unless they think all those people who stopped playing games decades ago are gonna come back now.

Is this part of sony's plan to save Gamestop?
I can tell you this, there aren't loads of PS1 and PS2 games on the Playstation store because people aren't buying them.

JMB88

Neo Member
Do explain? Because I would like to think the exact opposite? It’s not that I don’t believe PS5 will have BC, hell, I’ve said all along it would be utterly stupid to NOT have it now.

Or is it because I don’t find DF to be fanboys like most around here?

What gives you the idea that my “true colours are showing” after everything I’ve posted including info that hasn’t been said before that puts the consoles on level pegging? Please, go on...?

Because you do know that just because your critical of something, it doesn’t make you a fanboy of the other... you know that, right?

I think it's a bit obvious that DF has an inclination towards Xbox. As well as many American media. I remember at the beginning of the generation that many media drove the narrative that the difference from 720p to 1080p was almost indistinguishable to the human eye.

Similarly, I think almost everyone has a certain bias towards one console or another. The problem is when that bias becomes toxic.

By this I do not mean that what Tommy says is true, but that there are very few people who are really neutral.

Disco_

What a bunch of nonsense.
there's some sense there
Even if ps5 is stronger, MS is currently controlling the narrative. Just as sony was with the wired articles. If you have the same thing as your competitor but you reveal it sooner, you've taken away some of their thunder.

We know stuff cause we go out there and look for it, but people out there are talking about smart delivery like it's a brand new thing. They're talking about cyberpunk and ms allowing you to play the same copy on xsx and xbone and saying sony better do it as well. They don't know MS has marketing deal with cyberpunk. They don't know sony has that system in place and that the publishers are free to do as they wish. Today we have RT audio from MS, brand new thing, never heard of. Yet if you go back to wired last year, we knew about ps5 having it. Same for haptic feedback on controllers. MS had it this gen, but some are saying ds5 will be 1st(some things are new).

RT wasn’t available in 2019 so that rumour wasn’t true. Sony also announced TLOU2 and Ghosts well in advanced for PS4 too.

RT is coming in 2020, meaning sony had access to it in 2017(2016 maybe since navi was a year late) and knew about it before that. Just as in 2019 they had access to whatever was coming in 2020 and 2021.

I can tell you this, there aren't loads of PS1 and PS2 games on the Playstation store because people aren't buying them.
Nostalgia is a hell of a thing but it ain't that powerful. There might be a handful that would sell but not many.

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Right. With disc based emulation, there is a legal loophole where they can say the owner of the disc still has the license, but they take no responsibility for how reliably it will run.

Which therein lies another problem, compatibility.

There were two reasons Xbox went the emulation method they went previously:

1) legal issues as covered above
2) all games are not equal when it comes to emulation.

The bigger problem is that the more complex a game gets, the more hacks you have to deliver to successfully emulate it on a software level. There is no blanket “press x to emulate” method, you need a series of different configurations to run a series of different games. Some will work just fine, but the more custom the shaders used or push the original system, the more hooks will be needed to deploy.

So while you could in theory offer 100% emulation of lets say PSOne, you may not so easily be able to offer a resolution bump to everything as a uniform setting, because higher resolution actually breaks a LOT of PSOne games. Ps2 is much better, but again, it’s more complex emulation.

People think that you just need more power to emulate a new console, when the truth is you need more power to emulate accurately, and sometimes... That’s just not possible.

So, what will be more than likely, is you may get ps1/2/3/4 emulation at the software level, but it may not offer any enhancements over basic stuff.

demigod

Right. With disc based emulation, there is a legal loophole where they can say the owner of the disc still has the license, but they take no responsibility for how reliably it will run.
Erm? What? No you’re not understanding.

Emulation is emulation. Either it’s done via hardware, where you have the actual hardware in the box (early ps3, and ps2 with ps1 games, for example), or you emulate at the software level, which can introduce more issues but hey, cheaper.

What I said had zero to do with the method used of emulation, more so that the games themselves cannot all be placed online on the PlayStation store, due to legal reasons. There is nothing stopping somebody sticking a disk in the drive they already own, but that’s up to Sony on if they will even allow that.

Check FranXico's post. He read it the same way I did. You still need the disc for software emulation so I don't even know why you quoted me on it.

pawel86ck

Banned
Who said will be cheaper?
Yes many people really expect PS5 to be cheaper and when you ask them why (like I have already did) they will tell you sony is willing to lose money on every console. But how this strategy turned out for them with PS3? They almost went bankrupt because of that and I just doubt they will want to repeat their old mistakes because they dont run charity bussines.

There's a part in me that want to belive what unverified insiders are saying, because they present just perfect scenario for PS5 (faster GPU, faster SDD, faster RT, and some even entertain HBM idea) but why sony would want to build such strong hardware, and possibly lose money and their casuals base? Sony dont need to build faster hardware at all cost, because people will still buy their console regardless of performance difference because of much superior exclusives. MS however MUST deliver superior console, because otherwise why people would want to buy their console?

PS5 is big unknown and I will say every scenario is possible, but if sony really build stronger hardware than MS then I really doubt it will be cheaper.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
I think it's a bit obvious that DF has an inclination towards Xbox. As well as many American media. I remember at the beginning of the generation that many media drove the narrative that the difference from 720p to 1080p was almost indistinguishable to the human eye.

Similarly, I think almost everyone has a certain bias towards one console or another. The problem is when that bias becomes toxic.

By this I do not mean that what Tommy says is true, but that there are very few people who are really neutral.

Yeah but... you said MY colours man... I love all gaming. I do favour Xbox over PlayStation, never made any secret. But check my post history, I call a spade a spade, regardless of what colour it is.

MARTYWOLF

The rumor was Sony wanted the PS5 for 2019,but back in 2017 they changed to 2020 because of BC.

Personally I think it's always been 2020 I can't see AMD allowing a console to have 12tf a full year before there own gpu's release.

Heck wasn't 5700xt announced same day amd said it was the arch vendor for ps5. It's always been 2020 surely

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Check FranXico's post. He read it the same way I did. You still need the disc for software emulation so I don't even know why you quoted me on it.

I think you’re mixing up your terminology and misunderstanding what Franco said.

software emulation - done entirely in software. This is code that will be executed on the system to emulate the original function of the original console. Can load either a rom or a disk.

hardware emulation - an actual chip or piece of hardware is on the mainboard of the console, and it’s essentially run in parallel to the main system operation when required. It can load either a rom or a disk.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

RT is coming in 2020, meaning sony had access to it in 2017(2016 maybe since navi was a year late) and knew about it before that. Just as in 2019 they had access to whatever was coming in 2020 and 2021.

Early 2019 they still had the silver tower that played PS4 games. Definitely had no RT back in 2017, roadmap to it sure but not RT itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom