• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I was about to launch my tits at you.

You literally watched all my childhood cartoons :pie_roffles: (Mazinger Z)

XQOr34z.gif

Last edited:

JMB88

Neo Member
Yeah but... you said MY colours man... I love all gaming. I do favour Xbox over PlayStation, never made any secret. But check my post history, I call a spade a spade, regardless of what colour it is.

No, I didn't say that. It was another user and I only replied about what they were talking about.
I honestly don't accuse people with my finger, because I also have my preferences, and it would be hypocritical of me to do so.

But as I say, the problem is that sometimes people get toxic and really fight over a plastic box. That is something I cannot understand, of being emotionally too involved with an object.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
No, I didn't say that. It was another user and I only replied about what they were talking about.
I honestly don't accuse people with my finger, because I also have my preferences, and it would be hypocritical of me to do so.

But as I say, the problem is that sometimes people get toxic and really fight over a plastic box. That is something I cannot understand, of being emotionally too involved with an object.

Haha, didn’t even check that, no worries sir, party on ❤️

No but the trouble with just blanket saying “all past titles” is that a bloody shit load of them are just not possible anymore to be downloaded online due to licensing issues and publishers going bump and all sorts. But you could still offer disk based emulation.
He said the following:

"almost all" previous PlayStation games to date. (PS1, PS2, PS4 and PS3 included).
"Almost all" =/= "All past titles"

There is an elephant in the room and that is, the more Sony stays silent after MS's spec flexing yesterday, the more likely it gets that PS5 is simply weaker one.

I know many thing Sony has their own schedule, and they do, but picture is being painted every day that passes and it creates a certain narrative that Sony would like to adrese if it had an answer for question people are looking for

Quite the opposite in my opinion.

Sony is being Sony..

I know Sony being afraid, insecure, lost, etc... fits a certain narrative followed by quite a few posters in here.. funny enough all Xbox fans... but the truth is that Sony is in a very strong position and will disclose the information when they see fit...

Sony is market leader by far... have two highly anticipated PS4 exclusive AAA games still to release... according to several sources have deployed PS5 devkits on time and for a wile now, with great tools for devs.. PLaystation mind share is fantastic... GDC survey showing clearly that PS5 was highly anticipated and clearly the console that devs were more excited about...

So objectively Sony have nothing to worry about... and when they drop the bombs I can assure you that all this “concern” about week 9 TF PS5 and lost and afraid Sony will be nothing but a small fart in the wind...

DJ12

The bigger problem is that the more complex a game gets, the more hacks you have to deliver to successfully emulate it on a software level. There is no blanket “press x to emulate” method, you need a series of different configurations to run a series of different games. Some will work just fine, but the more custom the shaders used or push the original system, the more hooks will be needed to deploy.

So while you could in theory offer 100% emulation of lets say PSOne, you may not so easily be able to offer a resolution bump to everything as a uniform setting, because higher resolution actually breaks a LOT of PSOne games. Ps2 is much better, but again, it’s more complex emulation.

People think that you just need more power to emulate a new console, when the truth is you need more power to emulate accurately, and sometimes... That’s just not possible.

So, what will be more than likely, is you may get ps1/2/3/4 emulation at the software level, but it may not offer any enhancements over basic stuff.
I took a picture not a couple of hours ago disproving most of this.

I'm not sure you are an expert on emulation so should knock it off a touch.

demigod

I think you’re mixing up your terminology and misunderstanding what Franco said.

software emulation - done entirely in software. This is code that will be executed on the system to emulate the original function of the original console. Can load either a rom or a disk.

hardware emulation - an actual chip or piece of hardware is on the mainboard of the console, and it’s essentially run in parallel to the main system operation when required. It can load either a rom or a disk.

No I'm not mixing them up, I know what they are. Software bc is not 100% compared to hardware bc. There are games that work on hardware but won't work on software emulation.

pawel86ck

Banned
PS4 was cheaper and more powerful than Xbox One. AMD processors are better and cheaper than Intel. Just because your item costs more, does not mean it's better.
Fair point, PS4 was cheaper but that was in the past and keep in mind MS did a huge mistake back then (they build xbox one around kinect). Maybe you havent noticed it, but MS is no longer repeating their old mistakes and it looks like XSX will be a powerhouse build almost without compromises. In this scenario there's is a little chance PS5 will be also stronger and cheaper like PS4 was.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
I took a picture not a couple of hours ago disproving most of this.

I'm not sure you are an expert on emulation so should knock it off a touch.

You took a screenshot emulating a low level game that isn’t taxing the hardware at all on a PS2. Now kindly take a screenshot running a high level game that’s at 100% accuracy with no audio stuttering or visual issues, correct mipping and texture atlasing, and at the original intended frame rate.

The problem isn’t games CANT be emulated. They have been for bloody years. The problem is that they need to be emulated to a certain quality standard that matches the original. If your game plays even 5% off, people WILL notice and complain.

Hell, some 360 games on one x dropped a couple of frames but were otherwise perfect, and a lot of people were up in arms about it.

Last edited:

JMB88

Neo Member
Haha, didn’t even check that, no worries sir, party on ❤

No problem, haha. As much as my color is more blue than green, I really like to see the contributions it makes in the thread and it leaves me more calm that you said that the differences in power aren't to big.

Then, who has a little more power or a little less, I think it's not so relevant. The important thing is that we will all receive a big update and have a great time with the games that are coming!

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
RT wasn’t available in 2019 so that rumour wasn’t true. Sony also announced TLOU2 and Ghosts well in advanced for PS4 too.
I wouldn't put too much stock in big software releases. Remember Sony put out GT6, TLOU, sly 4, beyond 2 souls, puppeteer, and ratchet Nexus in 2013. They support systems including in transition years

Disco_

Personally I think it's always been 2020 I can't see AMD allowing a console to have 12tf a full year before there own gpu's release.

Heck wasn't 5700xt announced same day amd said it was the arch vendor for ps5. It's always been 2020 surely
If PS5 launched in 2019, it wouldn't be a 12tf console. Plus in 2016/early 2017 Navi was still slated for a 2018 release. When that was a no go later in 2017, things changed.

LiquidRex

So is the general consensus the PS5 is 9.2 tfs....? I understand now the XSX has a custom SSD, and not an off the shelf SSD as originally believed 🤔

It's all one sided at the moment.

If there's a 30% power gap, (and possibly more if only the XSX has RDNA 2), then that just can't be ignored. 🤔

Dizzan

MINI Member
So are there any videos out there of games running on current high end PCs that have similar specs to the new consoles that have been optimised for those GPUs??

If Sony/MS are not releasing any footage, at least can we see what games will look like?

bitbydeath

I wouldn't put too much stock in big software releases. Remember Sony put out GT6, TLOU, sly 4, beyond 2 souls, puppeteer, and ratchet Nexus in 2013. They support systems including in transition years

Yeah, but that is the year of release where as TLOU2 and Ghosts are a year after release.

NeroDaGod

Gold Member
There is an elephant in the room and that is, the more Sony stays silent after MS's spec flexing yesterday, the more likely it gets that PS5 is simply weaker one.

I know many thing Sony has their own schedule, and they do, but picture is being painted every day that passes and it creates a certain narrative that Sony would like to adrese if it had an answer for question people are looking for

Yeah okay pal...

Sony being silent means absolutely fuck all and you’re drawing some very wild conclusions out of thin air. The only person seeing this imaginary picture being painted here is you and your other little friends that desperately like all your posts.

People have had the questions you’re referring to since way before Xbox even revealed their specs so how is it any different?

A simple logo reveal post on their Instagram page has generated more traffic than almost every XSeX news article put together.

So why would Sony give an inch of a fuck about what people like you think about them not revealing their specs or what that makes them look like?

TL;DR Stop reaching

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom