• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bludbro

Neo Member
You forget that Microsoft owns Github and that Microsoft is known for it's Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt tactics.

That said, everybody with a working brain cell in his skull would know that Sony will not be using a GCN based GPU in the new PS5.

That said, did you know that Microsoft is desperate because Sony sold over 2.5 times more consoles for the current generation? It also seems that Microsoft shareholders are not happy about this. I could very well imagine once Sony releases more details about it's console (>13 TF most probably) XBox will be done.
We all live in a Microsoft created matrix so I don't know why you think the xbox team are limited to github for tools to control our minds. I'm more scared by the more subtle forms of subliminal messaging. Did anyone else notice tht the Switch had an new update last week. Version 9.2.0.

9.2!!!!!!!!! Arghhhhhh!

Ellery

I dreamed I was in Jack Tretton's house but it was actually houses from my childhood neighborhood and we were talking about gaming/PS4. When I left I saw none other than Mark Cerny leaving his just parked car.
All of the sudden the hype feeling of something going on came up and I started walking (with a crowd) through the main street towards the events building.
Neil Druckmann was there too.

#Soon
#Ineedhelp

If you ask me I think this is more reliable then all the rumors and leaks about a possible PS5 event we have seen so far.

I believe. #DreamTeam #Soon

pasterpl

I am pretty sure about that. Shareholders already wanted to shut down the program when Nadella took over from Ballmer.

Would be surprising, in 2018 they break $10bn barrier in annual revenue from gaming, services with reoccurring revenues are growing, so after the initial investment, they have made when they entered gaming market they are now starting to see some returns. Even with the Xbone that they have f*cked up royally on the launch, they have managed to hit good numbers in the later year.

I agree that there's no way Oberon switched to RDNA2 as a reaction to Microsoft, they simply weren't in a hurry to switch over with their dev kits because it wasn't really an urgent matter or anything.

the RDNA2 revision will only be actually important in the final retail version to reduced heat, dev kits a chunky bois and don't need to be super compact

Exactly; it'd be completely unlike companies as massive as Sony and Microsoft to just throw huge hardware changes into their consoles simply out of fear of what a competitor has done with theirs, not right before the systems even launch, that is.

The closest time either did this was Sony putting the RSX in the PS3 (which was moreso because of how short Cell measured up in being a proper GPU replacement), and Microsoft getting rid of almost every bad policy they wanted to implement at the start of XBO's launch/uplocking the CPU and GPU a tad (notice those were just "simple" uplocks which are easy by comparison vs. adding in a whole suite of ACE units or changing the memory controller mere months from launch).

The only actual time on the books we've ever seen a hardware manufacturer do such a drastic architectural shift in reaction to a competitor is SEGA when they redesigned the Saturn after getting word on PS1's specifications (and there's always been rumors that Sony illegally accessed a Saturn devkit through their relationship with SoA by being a Sega CD software partner, but I don't know if that rumor ever got confirmed. Wouldn't be the craziest thing out game companies from the '90s).

Last edited:
as some people mentioned here, Oberon tests still might be relevant, we do not know context of these. Bitching about DF because they have done analysis of a leak is and you don’t like results is just ridiculous. They have made some assumptions based on the data they had available at the time and It is not a reason to undermine their credibility.

re. AMD slides, there is some ambiguity there.

just to be clear, I believe both ps5 and xbsex to be around 12tflops rdna2 (that’s the best possible scenario for the gamers)

If DIGITAL FOUNDRY is wrong about the 9.2tf PS5, their little credibility will be gone for good for 1 of the 3 following reasons:

1. They have been pushing the 9.2tf Navi 10 theory/agenda without any Sony confirmation and now that AMD has confirmed that the PS5 has RDNA2/Navi 2X tech they are radio silent about the matter. And when I asked them, here in this thread about why they are so silent about the new AMD official revelations, they asked if the RDNA2 Navi 2X PS5 thing is confirmed. Hilarious :messenger_tears_of_joy:

2. Their "sources" have been trolling them all this time.

3. They have the same sources than me: ZERO

I dont know which of the 3 above reasons/outcomes is worse :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

Dodkrake

Banned
Just been wondering, is it possible that Sony can negotiate better prices due to the PS4 selling almost 3 times what the XB sold this current gent? I would assume so, since they are a "better partner", but the hardware industry is not my thing.

Gamernyc78

Banned
If DIGITAL FOUNDRY is wrong about the 9.2tf PS5, their little credibility will be gone for good for 1 of the 3 following reasons:

1. They have been pushing the 9.2tf Navi 10 theory/agenda without any Sony confirmation and now that AMD has confirmed that the PS5 has RDNA2/Navi 2X tech they are radio silent about the matter. And when I asked them, here in this thread about why they are so silent about the new AMD official revelations, they asked if the RDNA2 Navi 2X PS5 thing is confirmed. Hilarious :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I dont know which of the 3 above reasons/outcomes is worse :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Even if there are two consoles one lower spec one higher thy will still lose credibility for running with shit as fact and schilling and talking nonsense. Thy need to stick to factual game and console breakdowns and not getting caught in assumptions which make them look like thy are downplaying certain entities and suck off others.

🤡🤡🤡🤡

Last edited:

PSYGN

Just been wondering, is it possible that Sony can negotiate better prices due to the PS4 selling almost 3 times what the XB sold this current gent? I would assume so, since they are a "better partner", but the hardware industry is not my thing.

Possibly to a small degree but they don't want to rub MS the wrong way either so I would doubt that.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
MS can counter that with Xcloud purchases maybe though for consoles themselves they may get better prices

Gediminas

Banned
Would be surprising, in 2018 they break $10bn barrier in annual revenue from gaming, services with reoccurring revenues are growing, so after the initial investment, they have made when they entered gaming market they are now starting to see some returns. Even with the Xbone that they have f*cked up royally on the launch, they have managed to hit good numbers in the later year.
revenue is not profit, they could spend 20bn and get 10bn in return. pretty much that what happened for them with xbox division until they connected a lot of divisions to hide all these things. and pretty much everyone can see that they don't show any numbers, just bogus metrics and bogus statements.

LED Guy?

Banned
Everything in this life has a cost.

giphy.gif

Just kidding.

I have not sent any PS5 information to SlimySnake SlimySnake . Only Company information for clarification.
Oh man, the wait is hurting, I hope it’s worth it and that it aligns with what Kleegamefan and OsirisBlack OsirisBlack have said so far, because what they were saying lines up with one another, Klee said PS5 is a bit more powerful and Osiris said PS5 12.4 TF or more, which is a bit more powerful than Xbox Series X.

I hope this is the case, I want 2 equally very powerful beasts!
Please I want this to happen 😭😭😭😭😭😭

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

When they covered the github leaks, they specifically said that this should not be taken as a confirmation of anything.

yes, they have no sources of their own and they need to get better at that, but lets not pretend they have been pushing the github leaks. its the only real leak we have had so far. their only fault is that they werent able to confirm or deny the leaks with their sources within the dev community.

Hatsuma

Hello all, I'm new here.

I've been reading through the posts and there was a post that I vibe with about BC. There are a number of PS2 RPGs I would love to play that hasn't gotten a remaster like Shadow Hearts, Xenosaga, Suikoden, or Grandia 3.
However, it is a novelty that is only as good as the library it is pulling from. I think Sony, if the BC supported PS3, PS2, and ps1, could be fantastic but I would not want it at the expense of the quality of the system itself.

FERN

Thanks. I think that ship has sailed. Now it's called Quake Championship now. Tried it, but I think I'm too old for it.

I played lot's of Q3 and Q3 Team Arena online. Made it to place 13 once on ranked servers once. Knew the levels by heart and was able to jump backwards towards our flag while carrying the oponents flag and shooting everyone who wanted to get it back ;) On so called LAN parties I won regularly alone against three opponents.
You don't stop playing because you get old, you get old because you stopped playing ;-)

It's a good game I play it. Started back in Q1, skipped Q2 & Q4, mostly played Q3.

Fake

as some people mentioned here, Oberon tests still might be relevant, we do not know context of these. Bitching about DF because they have done analysis of a leak is and you don’t like results is just ridiculous. They have made some assumptions based on the data they had available at the time and It is not a reason to undermine their credibility.

re. AMD slides, there is some ambiguity there.

just to be clear, I believe both ps5 and xbsex to be around 12tflops rdna2 (that’s the best possible scenario for the gamers)

Agree to disagree. Using information out of context is a big risky move. People have the right to point their mistakes. Coins have two sides. How you can choise between unconfirmaded information by blind?

People on resetera keep asking them for make a video about that 'leak' and they're paying for the price. They earn clicks, but are paying the price. I believe in two guidelines about tech:

- Number one: If you gonna do something with lack of context or no confirmed, at least don't be seletive. (I want 'X' over 'Y' because 'X' is what I find more reasonable in who I believe).

- Number one: Or you use all of them or make none. You know when you make an article/video you're putting your reputation at risky.

You can look at my post history if you want to see how defensive I've being about Digital Foundry because even after their mistakes I still believe they're my most trusted source, but asking people for not 'bashing' them for make their mistake is beyond stupid. Again I not defending bully or insult, but critics are valid.

Now, you can answer that for me. HOW someone make a video like that and do not take your own advice?

Last edited:

llien

I wonder how old the oldest RDNA2 based devkit could be at this point and what could have been used before it was released.

pasterpl

revenue is not profit, they could spend 20bn and get 10bn in return. pretty much that what happened for them with xbox division until they connected a lot of divisions to hide all these things. and pretty much everyone can see that they don't show any numbers, just bogus metrics and bogus statements.

Satya Nadella commented on Microsoft’s gaming business as well. He said:
“Our gaming business now is more than $9 billion and growing profitably. The gaming world is growing faster than ever before from gameplay across multiple devices, to the explosive growth in streaming and eSports, to new subscription services and mixed reality scenarios…We launched…new services (Mixer and Xbox Game Pass) to broaden our reach and enrich our gaming experience, both of which are off to a very strong start.”

And graphs from here;

ethomaz

Banned

Neo Blaster

And people wonder why Sony went to Wired instead of DF.

Evilms

Banned

If DF still haven't made a video on the RDNA2, it's simply because AMD's latest confirmations on the subject contradict and sweep away the rumour of 9.2 TF in RDNA1 for the PS5 on which they based their video analysis.

Now for them it's hard to go back because all their analysis is based on this bogus rumour
1478746389-1472497550-picsart-08-26-04-23-14.png

Last edited:

I don’t believe DF ever said the PS5 is 9.2 TF. They just said the GitHub data was real but to take it with a grain of salt.

Gamernyc78

Banned
If DF still haven't made a video on the RDNA2 it's simply because AMD's latest confirmations on the subject contradict and sweep away the rumour of 9.2 TF in RDNA1 for the PS5 on which they are eager to make a video.

Now for them it's hard to go back because all their analysis is based on this bogus rumour
1478746389-1472497550-picsart-08-26-04-23-14.png

Facts!! They are now trying to see what's the best avenue to minimize themselves looking like schill dicks.

😂😂😂😂

FranXico

How dare you question Richard Leadbetter! He is our infallible light in these murky waters of disinformation.
That AMD presentation means nothing! It confirms nothing! The only OFFICIAL HARD DATA we have is that git repo pushed by that brave self-doxxing intern!

Last edited:
Hello all, I'm new here.

I've been reading through the posts and there was a post that I vibe with about BC. There are a number of PS2 RPGs I would love to play that hasn't gotten a remaster like Shadow Hearts, Xenosaga, Suikoden, or Grandia 3.
However, it is a novelty that is only as good as the library it is pulling from. I think Sony, if the BC supported PS3, PS2, and ps1, could be fantastic but I would not want it at the expense of the quality of the system itself.

Honestly, I would be ecstatic with full BC on PS5 that worked with discs. I would be happy with digital BC allowing me to play the titles I purchased digitally on PS3 that were a mixed bag of PS1 and PS3 games. I would be slightly disappointed if BC was limited to just playing the PS4 library, but not very disappointed. I can still keep my PS3, but a PS5 without full BC would push me to pursue emulation options for my classic games because while I hope my PS3 can last until 2026/2027 when the next generation might come out and MIGHT have comprehensive BC, I just can't entrust my library to that..

FranXico

I don’t believe DF ever said the PS5 is 9.2 TF. They just said the GitHub data was real but to take it with a grain of salt.
Richard was indeed careful enough to make that same disclaimer and reminding people that the tests data lacked context. Having said that, despite those caveats, he brought it further into the public eye.

But why not cover the official RDNA2 announcements by AMD then? Because there is "no confirmation"?

The double standards are quite visible to those discerning.

Last edited:

DrDamn

They produced a video with the title "PlayStation 5/Xbox Series X new GPU Spec Leak Analysis: 9.2TF vs 12TF?"

That's as good as for a lot of people considering the weight their opinion carries. People don't listen to the fine details and caveats of 15 minute videos. They look at the clickbait headlines and run with it.

I think Microsoft will reveal more about XsX during build conference of this year. Obviously they wont reveal the full specs, but you can kind of infer through their OS updates, UWP-Visual Studio updates, DX12 and other Microsoft specific APIs, as well as their cloud and azure. Its scheduled for May of this year but dont know if it will be cancelled due to the corona virus ..

LED Guy?

Banned
Digital Foundry MUST analyze what AMD said and their confirmation of RDNA 2 for PS5 as that alone DESTROYS the GitHub Oberon leak because it stated that the PlayStation 5 will be Navi 10 Lite when it isn’t the case at all!!

Maybe D dark10x can give us any updates if DF is working on it?

Last edited:

devilNprada

They also ship more physical product world wide, so they likely get better shipping rates; which directly affects the landed cost of the BOM's.

Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem is there a perfect UHD TV out there that has ALL of the following features:

Brightness of Micro-LED tvs (luminance in terms of nits. More the nits, the brighter the TV)

Darkness/BLack levels of OLED tvs (Umbrance measured in contrast ratio)
Color quality of QLED tvs (chroma measured in the color spectrum)

Fun Fanboy

Banned
Digital Foundry MUST analyze what AMD said and their confirmation of RDNA 2 for PS5 as that alone DESTROYS the GitHub Oberon leak because it stated that the PlayStation 5 will be Navi 10 Lite when it isn’t the case at all!!

Maybe D dark10x can give us any updates if DF is working on it?
Why would he come in and post anything? All I see is this thread trashing on DF. Why would one of them come in here to get blasted? This whole thread looks to assume they're MS shills. So why even bother?

Hatsuma

The louder you scream, the faster the ride! Trouble is, some people are ACTUALLY serious with this shit. I just read a very funny tweet about 15tf being totally possible on PS5, while SX has lied and its actually only 9tf, which is why they are flooding the internet with 9tf rumours, for damage control.

There isn't enough tin foil in the world for this shit 😂

I most certainly agree. I am hoping for pari
I’m not an insider. I’m an outsider, that is I have contacts but don’t have a console on my desk. And what makes you think anybody with any form of inside knowledge would know every last detail? Have you seen those “””leaks””” where they know everything, the launch games, the price, the specs? You know there’s a reason they are so easy to spot right?

The stuff I do know, well, most of it’s been true thus far, and the only one that hasn’t (11.5-11.6 ps5) hasn’t been revealed yet. Some stuff I’ve said is specific, as in couldn’t be guessed, either.

Anyway, no. I wouldn’t expect a real insider to know some things. You can’t compare last gen to this gen. last gen, MS banked on Sony only having 4gb, and that was a last minute secret when they upped it to 8. Also last gen, MS used 8gb ddr3due to their multimedia strategy, which backfired massively, not to mention the whole kinect issue. The thing is, the Xbox last gen was fine for a console, it’s just sony went balls deep with theirs, and when that went up against the mistakes MS made, it cost them. Massively.

Memory, for this generation, is a hotly kept secret. Getting anything concrete out of anybody is very tricky, and I have my reasons as to why that is. The issue guys is that this generation isn’t going to be won on pure tf power. It’s too close to call. So, each “side” is trying to outplay the other, right up to the damn finishing line.

That is preferable
I’m not an insider. I’m an outsider, that is I have contacts but don’t have a console on my desk. And what makes you think anybody with any form of inside knowledge would know every last detail? Have you seen those “””leaks””” where they know everything, the launch games, the price, the specs? You know there’s a reason they are so easy to spot right?

The stuff I do know, well, most of it’s been true thus far, and the only one that hasn’t (11.5-11.6 ps5) hasn’t been revealed yet. Some stuff I’ve said is specific, as in couldn’t be guessed, either.

Anyway, no. I wouldn’t expect a real insider to know some things. You can’t compare last gen to this gen. last gen, MS banked on Sony only having 4gb, and that was a last minute secret when they upped it to 8. Also last gen, MS used 8gb ddr3due to their multimedia strategy, which backfired massively, not to mention the whole kinect issue. The thing is, the Xbox last gen was fine for a console, it’s just sony went balls deep with theirs, and when that went up against the mistakes MS made, it cost them. Massively.

Memory, for this generation, is a hotly kept secret. Getting anything concrete out of anybody is very tricky, and I have my reasons as to why that is. The issue guys is that this generation isn’t going to be won on pure tf power. It’s too close to call. So, each “side” is trying to outplay the other, right up to the damn finishing line.

Awesome for both to be in parity. Preferable that way. IDGAF which is slightly stronger, now it is really going to come down to talent, content offerings, and feature diversity/quality. The competition is going to be monstrous.

Either side hoping for a slight advantage is ok. But hoping for a gulf is questionable.

Thank you for your insight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom