• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Neither does a leak about loosely coupled test data that can easily be taken out of context.

Yet, one is given coverage and the other doesn't.
I totally agree. The GitHub leak confirms nothing, because literally NO ONE except Sony knows how many CU’s were disabled in Oberon. All we know is that 36 CU’s is mentioned in the leak, and that 36 CU’s is all that’s required for BC testing of PS4 and PS4 Pro. Yesterday, I even got one of the most tech-knowledgeable and pro-GitHub people on era to confirm to me that there’s just as much a chance the PS5 has 36 CU’s as it does 56 CU’s.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
If DIGITAL FOUNDRY is wrong about the 9.2tf PS5, their little credibility will be gone for good for 1 of the 3 following reasons:

1. They have been pushing the 9.2tf Navi 10 theory/agenda without any Sony confirmation and now that AMD has confirmed that the PS5 has RDNA2/Navi 2X tech they are radio silent about the matter. And when I asked them, here in this thread about why they are so silent about the new AMD official revelations, they asked if the RDNA2 Navi 2X PS5 thing is confirmed. Hilarious :messenger_tears_of_joy:

2. Their "sources" have been trolling them all this time.

3. They have the same sources than me: ZERO

I dont know which of the 3 above reasons/outcomes is worse :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Hell, they made a video about Lockhart with a good angle of 4TF being "next gen", with supposedly zero proof it exists (they probably know from MS that it does, or at least RL knows, hence the promo like viral? video), yet no video on AMD saying that the next gen consoles (PS5/SXS) are RDNA2, which then calls that 9.2 video data out and there should be followed up by them with "things don't add up about GitHub since it was a Navi 10 part adding more oddness to the puzzle".

*crickets*

Last edited:

Dory16

Banned
Richard was indeed careful enough to make that same disclaimer and reminding people that the tests data lacked context. Having said that, despite those caveats, he brought it further into the public eye.

But why not cover the official RDNA2 announcements by AMD then? Because there is "no confirmation"?

The double standards are quite visible to those discerning.
Good point but let's be fair. AMD hasn't officially announced the number of Teraflops or CUs in the PS5. The Github leak allowed to infer those (and the inference turned our to be true in the case of the SX).

As for RDNA 2, The slides by AMD can be interpreted one way or the other as to whether or not the PS5 contains RDNA2. They were clearly avoiding to reveal too much about it before Sony.
Instead of attacking Digital Foundry and Leadbetter who are just trying to do their job based on the scarce information available, fanboys should be mad at Sony for having only revealed a logo this close to the official release. If there was a picture of the PS5 silicon available like there is for the SX, Leadbetter wouldn't be ignoring it and we all know it. The notion that he should have made a report on what AMD said when they didn't say anything "specifically" on the PS5 (sorry but "consoles" could mean "some consoles" or "all the consoles we support") is ludicrous, especially since he never said that the PS5 was RDNA1, just that there was not RT related data in the PS5 github leak, which is a naked fact.

Sinthor

Gold Member
If that's the case and the latest devkit is the one insiders were talking about a month or so ago that got out in early January, then that devkit is probably using Oberon E0 which was dated December 2019, and further confirms Oberon is an RDNA2 chip and the Navi 10 listing in Rogame's tweets were for the Arieal iGPU profile testlist because Ariel was before Oberon and an RDNA1 chip. It also fits with a change that big being a revision of the chip, so it means there's a chance the first Oberon revision or two were RDNA1 chips, but a different revision was the RDNA2 chp.

However, two caveats here: I don't think Sony was motivated in reaction to go RDNA2 because of info about XSX using RDNA2. They'd of have planned for its use well ahead of time, they have access to AMD's roadmaps early just like MS does. Secondly, I think there's a sneaking assumption with some people (not indicating you in particular or anything) that RDNA2 is only for big chips. But I see no reason why AMD would hold back RDNA2 from their future mobile APUs which will have CU clusters much less than 40.

This applies to Oberon as well: it pretty much is definitely an RDNA2 chip, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's larger than 40CUs. I think we're all wishing it's at least a bit larger, but there's no guarantee that it is. While 40CUs on 7nm would be smaller in die size than 40CUs of a PS4 Pro, these systems also need dedicated silicon for their RT solutions, too, as well as other IP blocks for handling other system tasks, caches etc.

If the memory buses we've speculated so far check out (256-bit PS5, 320-bit XSX), then at the very least we're looking at 16GB for PS5 (plus some DDR4 for background OS tasks, maybe 4GB worth) and 20GB for XSX.

However, they could both do clamshell mode and put anywhere from 28GB - 32GB (PS5) to 34GB - 40GB (XSX). But I don't think that's very likely. For one clamshell would mean the data bit rate is cut in half for the chips so each chip on its own brings half the bandwidth of usual. The upside to that is the active framebuffer size increases since you have double the amount of chips on bus (and you can potentially double the maximum amount of memory to the controller if the chip densities are all the same), it'd just mean bandwidth rate per chip is cut in half.

I guess you can picture it as its own way of going "narrow and fast" versus "wide and slow", even though those terms are usually used for discussing memory buses and chip speeds more generally. By and large though I don't expect either system to do clamshell mode this time around, it's already going to be a significant part of the BOM to get the 16GB/20GB capacities as-is.

So question about ray tracing on these new boxes and forgive my ignorance. But if they dedicate CU's to ray tracing, that's not permanent, right? In other words the PS5 could have 36 CU's free for just the normal use and have what...12 or more dedicated to ray tracing but if ray tracing isn't being used, those 12 or so additional CU's could be used just like normal? If MS's new system is 56CU total, is there a number of that 56 that get taken up for ray tracing or is that number separate from what is being used for that?

Or am I thinking of this wrong and ray tracing uses some other kind of dedicated unit?

DaMonsta

Hell, they made a video about Lockhart with a good angle of 4TF being "next gen", with supposedly zero proof it exists (they probably know from MS that it does, or at least RL knows, hence the promo like viral? video), yet no video on AMD saying that the next gen consoles (PS5/SXS) are RDNA2, which then calls that 9.2 video data out and there should be followed up by them with "things don't add up about GitHub since it was a Navi 10 part adding more oddness to the puzzle".

*crickets*
You guys are reaching.

Anyone who doesn’t say “PlayStation is the best Xbox sucks” is a “Xbox fanboy” to you guys.

In reality DF just reports on the facts from a technical perspective. Sony still has not said much about PS5, so DF has not said much about it.

But why not cover the official RDNA2 announcements by AMD then? Because there is "no confirmation"?

The double standards are quite visible to those discerning.
Because it wasn’t an “announcement”

Sony still has not said shit, and it seems like real reliable “sources” are very few on Sony’s next gen plans.

What should they be saying right now?

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Capture.png

What kind of madness? It's hard to tell when the insiders are being serious or just toying with us. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Evilms

Banned
You guys are reaching.

Anyone who doesn’t say “PlayStation is the best Xbox sucks” is a “Xbox fanboy” to you guys.

In reality DF just reports on the facts from a technical perspective. Sony still has not said much about PS5, so DF has not said much about it.

Sony still has not said shit, and it seems like real reliable “sources” are very few on Sony’s next gen plans.

So if we follow your reasoning for DF the github rumor it's more reliable than amd's conference ?
1467335935-jesus4.png

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
You guys are reaching.

You're projecting.

We are discussing data and action, you're the one acting like a childish fanboy. Go cry in other threads.

"Take this with a grain of salt since we have no proof" are not "facts".

There is less evidence about Lockhart other than words, yet they made a nice viral? video about 4TF being "next gen".

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
So question about ray tracing on these new boxes and forgive my ignorance. But if they dedicate CU's to ray tracing, that's not permanent, right? In other words the PS5 could have 36 CU's free for just the normal use and have what...12 or more dedicated to ray tracing but if ray tracing isn't being used, those 12 or so additional CU's could be used just like normal? If MS's new system is 56CU total, is there a number of that 56 that get taken up for ray tracing or is that number separate from what is being used for that?

Or am I thinking of this wrong and ray tracing uses some other kind of dedicated unit?
a CU is made up of shader processors (64 per CU, this is whats used to calculate tflops), and Texture Mapping Units (usually 4 but maybe more now). What AMD's RT patent shows us they added RT hardware in the Texture Mapping Units. so technically there is already dedicated hardware in each CU to do ray tracing.

LED Guy?

Banned
You guys are reaching.

So you take GitHub over what AMD just confirmed?

Also, when did any of us called others an Xbox fanboy? We called Xbox fanboys to people who REFUSED to accept that that AMD just outright confirmed that the PS5 will have RDNA 2, it's all coming together, like I told you, Klee said both consoles' architectures are the same, and look now, they are the same like he said.

We're just waiting for the final confirmation, and like Gavin Stevens Gavin Stevens said, the RAM configuration for both consoles are a pretty secret thing from both companies, actually Kleegamefan said that a long time ago as well, that tells me we may get surprised by their memory configurations. 😉

Sorry Gavin Stevens Gavin Stevens I had to mention you, love your comments ♥♥♥

Last edited:

No I think with AMD the RT is done with dedicated cores similar to Nvidia's approach; theoretically Sony or MS could dynamically task CUs for the purpose but they'd be a lot less effective at it since they aren't purpose-built for ray-tracing applications.

So the CU counts I would figure, are in accordance with the general purpose units and don't count the RT hardware. Nvidia has dedicated RT hardware but they don't count that towards their cards' TF performance numbers (however, having the RT enabled, at least with the early Turing cards IIRC, caused a performance hit with the general graphics performance, but this was also probably due to games utilizing the RT hardware being poorly optimized for it).

Also I might be inclined to go with SlimySnake SlimySnake 's take on AMD's implementation of RT on RDNA2 chips. The question would be how does RT affect non-RT graphical performance, and we don't have any data on that as of now.

You underlined the wrong part.

The cheaper XsS will in fact be Xbox biggest seller by a lot and thus will be the so called defacto console for the masses.

That might end up being the case, but it also depends on what the split between the Series S and Series X is. That will tell us which of the two MS is prioritizing at least out of the gate. Going with how they've started with the XSX and have basically been talking only of that one, it feels like XSX is their chief priority out of the two.

I still hope the Series S is some type of portable-like device personally, but there's a big chance it won't be.

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
LED Guy? LED Guy? aww shucks ☺️

To be fair, I post what I can, when I get it (and run it past the Gaf boss first), but I just enjoy chatting technology, even when I don’t know if it’s “fact”. It’s fun to speculate sometimes, and this threads a bit like a drug for that. I’ve tried to walk away a few times haha 🤣

Sadly it will all be over soon, and it will be 24/7 fanboy circle jerk! So for now, I’ll enjoy it while I can 😉

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Would be interesting indeed if they decided to shoot out the XSS first and then the massive one in November....Nahhh, sounds too weird to do that....or is it?

It would make no sense to announce it with the price before the XSX unless they plan on releasing it soon I would think. But stranger things are not surprising in current year.

kareemna

Yes, both consoles will use the new higher capacity 100gb disks, thats common knowledge I believe.

The thing about game size is that it’s another tricky area to talk about. Games this generation use a lot of duplication of assets so that files are closer to each other, which results in reduced mechanical disk drive seeking. In other words, a shit load of stuff in your RDR2 install is actually duplicate data.

SSD doesn’t need this, at all. It can read anything it needs at any time, with no “seek time” as such.

However the flip side of the coin is that while you no longer need duplicate data, the data itself will be far higher in file size.

So it’s a tough one to say for sure haha.

Don’t get me wrong though, 2tb SSD is too small even for me, regardless.

Indeed most of the huge sizes of current gen games is because of duplication, and this was mentioned by DF before. The main problem is the physical media used (BD), their read speeds are very slow compared to even an HDD.

Since developers need to take them into consideration and hopefully by next gen the game sizes will decrease or at least stay the same and data will instead be filled with better assets.

LED Guy?

Banned
LED Guy? LED Guy? aww shucks ☺

To be fair, I post what I can, when I get it (and run it past the Gaf boss first), but I just enjoy chatting technology, even when I don’t know if it’s “fact”. It’s fun to speculate sometimes, and this threads a bit like a drug for that. I’ve tried to walk away a few times haha 🤣

Sadly it will all be over SOON, and it will be 24/7 fanboy circle jerk! So for now, I’ll enjoy it while I can 😉
Someone said SOON again, I'm gonna jump off a building 😂😂😂

Md Ray

So the Github leak showed 36 CUs, right? Sony doubled the compute units from 18 CUs in the PS4 to 36 CUs for PS4 Pro within 3 years of OG PS4's launch and they did that for a console that's very much a part of the PS4 family, it's not even next-gen. And I remember that Cerny telling Gamasutra as well as Digital Foundry that he still believed in console generations when Pro was launched. So the man who still believes in console generations -- do you think he will launch a next-gen PS5, with brand new GPU, CPU architectures, after 4 years of PS4 Pro's launch... Again with the same 36 CU GPU? Something doesn't add up here. And I'm astonished that even Richard from DF didn't question the 36 CU leak for PS5 and ran with it for multiple videos.

Last edited:

Hatsuma

Honestly, I would be ecstatic with full BC on PS5 that worked with discs. I would be happy with digital BC allowing me to play the titles I purchased digitally on PS3 that were a mixed bag of PS1 and PS3 games. I would be slightly disappointed if BC was limited to just playing the PS4 library, but not very disappointed. I can still keep my PS3, but a PS5 without full BC would push me to pursue emulation options for my classic games because while I hope my PS3 can last until 2026/2027 when the next generation might come out and MIGHT have comprehensive BC, I just can't entrust my library to that..

Yea man, I would be stoked for full BC, but isn't the all to be all. Also, I can imagine second hand markets n retro markets benefiting big time.
It would be great

Sinthor

Gold Member
a CU is made up of shader processors (64 per CU, this is whats used to calculate tflops), and Texture Mapping Units (usually 4 but maybe more now). What AMD's RT patent shows us they added RT hardware in the Texture Mapping Units. so technically there is already dedicated hardware in each CU to do ray tracing.

Ok, so a 56 CU chip like MS is supposedly using....when using ray tracing the effective count would be lower...say only 40 CU for the main game processing while the 16 were working on ray tracing? Is that how it works and where the 10-30% performance hit I keep reading about takes place? Sorry..just want to have this straight in my head. ;)

I don’t believe DF ever said the PS5 is 9.2 TF. They just said the GitHub data was real but to take it with a grain of salt.

Do you mean that they are using a (?) in this slide when they are taking about the PS5/GitHub 9.2 Navi 10 "leak"?
A video dated on February 18, 2020 where for 3 times they pushed the idea of a PS5 9.2tf console.
JCtD3Tc.jpg

Source:

Last edited:

-Jay-Rod-

Banned
So the Github leak showed 36 CUs, right? Sony doubled the compute units from 18 CUs in the PS4 to 36 CUs for PS4 Pro within 3 years of OG PS4's launch and they did that for a console that's very much a part of the PS4 family, it's not even next-gen. And I remember that Cerny telling Gamasutra as well as Digital Foundry that he still believed in console generations when Pro was launched. So the man who still believes in console generations -- do you think he will launch a next-gen PS5, with brand new GPU, CPU architectures, after 4 years of PS4 Pro's launch... Again with the same 36 CU GPU? Something doesn't add up here. And I'm astonished that even Richard from DF didn't question the 36 CU leak for PS5 and ran with it for multiple videos.
your not gonna get a response they too busy making another wolfenstein video

Md Ray

Ok, so a 56 CU chip like MS is supposedly using....when using ray tracing the effective count would be lower...say only 40 CU for the main game processing while the 16 were working on ray tracing? Is that how it works and where the 10-30% performance hit I keep reading about takes place? Sorry..just want to have this straight in my head. ;)
For ray-tracing, they could be using dedicated cores that are separate from the Compute Units (CUs).

Neo Blaster

You guys are reaching.

And what about the GitHub leaks is 'fact' or 'announcement'? Not being any of those didn't prevent them to make an entire video based on it.

SlimySnake

nope. like i said each of the 56 CUs will have dedicated ray tracing hardware built in. so the idea is that each CU will continue to function as it did before while the ray tracing hardware within each CU handles the ray tracing features.

we dont know how effective this is yet because we dont even know how this is implemented in RDNA 2 gpus, all we have is an AMD patent. the 10-30% performance hit you hear comes from Nvidia GPUs where enabling ray tracing kills the peformance in most games. but i wouldnt worry too much about that. that was tech tacked on late in the process. next gen games should be built around ray tracing. whoever has the most tflops should have better RT.

Digital Foundry... the one's that MS decided to unveil Xbox One X with... the same ones that leaked PS4 Pro white papers months before Sony revealed it... the same company pushing the same agenda pushing Github and PS5 being Oberon...with no RT, 36 CUs, going as low as saying it's not RDNA 2, even after Cerny in April 2019 saying Hardware RT... and AMD confirming RDNA2 in PS5...
sound like a bunch of paid of shilling fucking cunts to me. Same bullshit since PS3. Same bullshit when there was no One X, glass always half full downplays disparity. But lo and behold the 2nd coming of Xbox when the One X was released, leadbetter's wet dream come true.
Their a bunch of shilling cunts. Pity Dark10X has to work there. He's the only one worth giving praise to.

-Jay-Rod-

Banned
And what about the GitHub leaks is 'fact' or 'announcement'? Not being any of those didn't prevent them to make an entire video based on it.
Digital Foundry... the one's that MS decided to unveil Xbox One X with... the same ones that leaked PS4 Pro white papers months before Sony revealed it... the same company pushing the same agenda pushing Github and PS5 being Oberon...with no RT, 36 CUs, going as low as saying it's not RDNA 2, even after Cerny in April 2019 saying Hardware RT... and AMD confirming RDNA2 in PS5...
sound like a bunch of paid of shilling fucking cunts to me. Same bullshit since PS3. Same bullshit when there was no One X, glass always half full downplays disparity. But lo and behold the 2nd coming of Xbox when the One X was released, leadbetter's wet dream come true.
Their a bunch of shilling cunts. Pity Dark10X has to work there. He's the only one worth giving praise to.
ohh man after reading your post I know for sure they probably gonna make another wolfenstein video

HawarMiran

Banned
And praise the one guy for saying Wolfenstein correctly :p

DaMonsta

So you take GitHub over what AMD just confirmed?
Where did I say that?

Actually reply to the words that I post or leave me the fuck alone.

Also, when did any of us called others an Xbox fanboy?
You serious?
😂
We called Xbox fanboys to people who REFUSED to accept that that AMD just outright confirmed that the PS5 will have RDNA 2, it's all coming together, like I told you, Klee said both consoles' architectures are the same, and look now, they are the same like he said.
Again reply to what I actually said, not whatever fanboy argument you are having elsewhere.

We're just waiting for the final confirmation, and like Gavin Stevens Gavin Stevens said, the RAM configuration for both consoles are a pretty secret thing from both companies, actually Kleegamefan said that a long time ago as well, that tells me we may get surprised by their memory configurations. 😉

Sorry Gavin Stevens Gavin Stevens I had to mention you, love your comments ♥♥♥
That’s great, still has nothing to do with what I said

SlimySnake

Do you mean that they are using a (?) in this slide when they are taking about the PS5/GitHub 9.2 Navi 10 "leak"? A video dated on February 18, 2020 where for 3 times they pushed the idea of a PS5 9.2tf console.
JCtD3Tc.jpg

Source:

eh, the question mark should tell you that they arent sure about it.

which tflops figure do you want them to go with? the one from osiris? or heisenberg? or odium? even jason and klee havent given any figures. that 9.2 tflops figure is the only one we have right now. as long as they put proper disclaimers, thats fine with me.

your beef should be with Sony brass who are ok with this fake information being spread around without any kind of denials. it should be with PS5 devs who refuse to call up DF and deny this figure even if they have to do it off the record anonymously. if not DF, call up Jason Schrier.

The fact of the matter is that its sony thats dragged its feet and has allowed these rumors to fester. if i was Cerny, i wouldve put a stop to this rumor immediately. a simple, no its not true wouldve been enough.

If DIGITAL FOUNDRY is wrong about the 9.2tf PS5, their little credibility will be gone for good for 1 of the 3 following reasons:

1. They have been pushing the 9.2tf Navi 10 theory/agenda without any Sony confirmation and now that AMD has confirmed that the PS5 has RDNA2/Navi 2X tech they are radio silent about the matter. And when I asked them, here in this thread about why they are so silent about the new AMD official revelations, they asked if the RDNA2 Navi 2X PS5 thing is confirmed. Hilarious :messenger_tears_of_joy:

2. Their "sources" have been trolling them all this time.

3. They have the same sources than me: ZERO

I dont know which of the 3 above reasons/outcomes is worse :messenger_grinning_sweat:
Little credibility .... what are you talking about they have more than any other channel or site in this kind stuff.

Yes I found anoying they insist with 9.2 when doesnt make sense to believe the same chip without raytracing is the final design but in the end is the only fact they have.

You underlined the wrong part.

The cheaper XsS will in fact be Xbox biggest seller by a lot and thus will be the so called defacto console for the masses.

I think that depends on the price and Sony price also .
Also first years buyers care much less about price so that could be a factor at least for first year when it comes to sales.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I think that depends on the price and Sony price also .
Also first years buyers care much less about price so that could be a factor at least for first year when it comes to sales.

I meant the cheaper Xbox will be THEIR biggest seller.

The majority of enthusiasts like us reading forums will buy the monsters.

Little Timmys mommy buying a new console for Christmas will only care about that bottom dollar.

DaMonsta

C'mon, are we really going all this way again? Out of context data? So many insiders and devs stating how close these machines are? Are you really going to weight these 'leaks' so much more than what AMD showed on that presentation?
What the fuck are you talking about?

I agree that the “data” is out of context.

The fact is, it’s the only “data” that exists.

AMDs presentation doesn’t have anything to do with that fact.

There’s really nothing more for digital foundry to cover right now until Sony gives more info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom