• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Don't be surprised if you see a sudden spike in crime rate then.

I vote we keep this open for our sanity.

giphy.gif

This thread is a good dumping ground for all the insanity. I wouldn’t want to pollute the forum with all the pop up randomness that would happen if this one were to close.

• LOL
Reactions: TLZ

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
By the way, for all you gamers itching to get a SeX or PS5, you better add to your budget.

Unless Sony and MS have a good solution for your external HDD of games to work smooth and fast, there's chance you might need to buy an external SSD to pair up with the internal SSD.

If that's true, might as well add another couple hundred bucks to the cost.

Last edited:

Null_Key

Neo Member
It's because I have the real confirmation, PS5 will have 45 Teraflops, 256GB of memory but 255 is reserved for the OS, but it will feature a super fast SSD which only has 1.5 GB. The HDD cannot be upgraded via externally or internal and all games must be installed unto the HDD or else it wont work. Also it will have 802.11b wifi only and will come with a coupon for Mcdonald's meal for free (with purchase of a meal of equal value, of course.)

Last edited:

Sinthor

Gold Member
By the way, for all you gamers itching to get a SeX or PS5, you better add to your budget.

Unless Sony and MS have a good solution for your external HDD of games to work smooth and fast, there's chance you might need to buy an external SSD to pair up with the internal SSD.

If true, that's fine with me. Hell, I'd pay upwards of $1000 for a truly beast-mode console. I know, I know....'it's called a PC!' but I don't want to fuck with Windows and drivers and.......ARGH! I worked on computers for YEARS...I'm DONE with that. Not at home. That's not 'fun.'

Koopatrol

Where did the "Lockhart news this week" rumor start? Tweets from twitter fans or from people associated directly with MS?

I honestly don't know. I've just seen posts in this thread and on Reee, so yeah. That's what I'm trying to figure out haha.

No one will believe this, but I got confirmation that the 9.2TF gihub is indeed real.
On the one hand this probably means it's a cheaper console.
TBH I didn't expect this, but oh well.

These insiders saying 12TF+ can stop now, this won't matter very soon.
Rely on me and this info, it's all I can say.
Unbelievable, I know.
Either way all this speculation os about to end.

:lollipop_winking:

200.gif

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
If true, that's fine with me. Hell, I'd pay upwards of $1000 for a truly beast-mode console. I know, I know....'it's called a PC!' but I don't want to fuck with Windows and drivers and.......ARGH! I worked on computers for YEARS...I'm DONE with that. Not at home. That's not 'fun.'

I'm with you, I'd pay up to around 700 for a console I'd be using for at least five or six years nonstop.

Faithless83

Banned
Lurker since PS360 era, finally decided to join the hype.

Schrödinger's PS5 - Until the reveal, it is neither 9.2TF nor 13.8TF.

I get that the xbox guys needed a win after the current gen, but is it really the small (stated several times to be indeed small) performance boost what MS needs?
I'm a lot more interested in the lineup that Osiris mentioned to be killer.
Or the Konami vs Capcom "which one you like more?"
The thread was a lot more fun to read back then.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Where did the "Lockhart news this week" rumor start? Tweets from twitter fans or from people associated directly with MS?
I honestly don't know. I've just seen posts in this thread and on Reee, so yeah. That's what I'm trying to figure out haha.
I think this comes from Klobrille had a tweet that said something like "decryption decoded". And someone thinks that has to do with Lockhart???

D

Deleted member 779727

Unconfirmed Member
No one will believe this, but I got confirmation that the 9.2TF gihub is indeed real.

Unbelievable, I know.

I'm the source of your source and I deliberately mislead him with a fake pastebin.

Koopatrol

I think this comes from Klobrille had a tweet that said something like "decryption decoded". And someone thinks that has to do with Lockhart???

Oh right, I remember that. If it all comes from that, seems like it might be a stretch lol.

Trying not to have any expectations anymore. Consoles are coming soon, so it's only a matter of time before info is released now 👍

-Jay-Rod-

Banned
the PS4 pro claimed to be 4k capable and I would bet less than 1% of all games actually run at 4k on the Pro.

8k support means nothing but the consoles will have a setting in their video options that lets you select 8k of you have a compatible TV.

I don't think any developer will actually try to go for anything close to an 8k resolution. maybe some remasters or 2D games.

and no, you can run games at 8k on a 10 to 12 tf machine, they will look like current gen games and will run at 30fps, but 30fps was never a reason to not go for it for publishers.
That’s why I said dynamic 8K aka checker boarding I know and understand what your saying that’s why I’m thinking the whole full 8K support from the GameStop email is prob for movies

Last edited:
No, nothing perfect there.

Best picture quality/blacks: OLED's, but unreliable and need care and no to long sessions. Weaker HDR performance due to not meeting 1000-nits minimal requirement (Except Panasonic but it's shit for gaming).
Best brightness/HDR: Not sure, but the new TCL 8 and 6 series 2020 are brilliant and probably the best out there overall with decent blacks.
Color accuracy goes to Sony TV's.

My short list is:

-If you want OLED, then CX or C9.
-TCL 8-Series 8K and 6-Series 4K 2020 models.
-Sony XH90 (X900H) only for the moment that has rumors to support HDMI 2.1 properly for gaming.
-Samsung 8K lineup, but I'm not comfortable with their TV's as they are not produced directly in Korea here.
-Vizio 2020 lineup if you are in the US.

That's my short list, to me I'll pick probably TCL 8-Series 8K if the price is good, but I think I'll go for XH90 if I can turn off local dimming because it's shit for gaming no matter how they try to make it nice, I would sacrifice black levels for that.

This is my short list, all should have full HDMI 2.1 support especially VRR. I think TCL is the best overall, but I need Sony's color accuracy for video/photo editing at least.

Read more and wait for reviews as most of these are not out yet.

All signs lead to TCL series. For US gamers, I think the best time to purchase UHDTVs would be black Friday sale. Dont buy anything yet now. I am sure black Friday for this year, UHDTVs will have the following specs:

Wifi6 built in UHDTV
HDMI 2.1 with variable refresh rate
HDR10+ and Dolby Atmos
120hz

One thing i forgot to ask was about 'response time' or lag, has that been improved?

44alltheway

Unbelievable, I know.

not true!

Sinthor

Gold Member

Unbelievable, I know.

Very clever. Took me a second.

Shmunter

Surely they will have some kind of transfer or caching system. And it will be built on the PlayReady (tm) or whatever it's called , where game can start after a portion is transferred - the rest happens in the background.

If not, am dissapoint!

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Unbelievable, I know.

But there isn’t any evidence of 12tf.
Unless it turns out all the insiders were right.
Though you never know with the markets down.

If Sony wants to do $400 again at the expense of a beefed up system, you’ll get awesome games at checkerboarded resolution.
Timing is crucial too because if that virus is delaying manufacturing till 2021, a gimped system will look worse.

It doesn’t really matter what we think because Sony has already planned what to do.
So crank out those machines in the summer.

Nine times out of ten, it makes no difference how powerful a system is for success.
Point a gamer to a system with a good price and games and they get that.
Too bad some people only care about power.

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
you know exactly that is it 100% certain.
you can't act like 2 additional modes that exactly match PS4 and pro specs are a coincidence.

that chip is real and made for sony and got multiple revisions until recently
One question:

How do we know what's in github isn't for Ariel? And was mislabeled for Oberon?

ro_game tweet for Oberon plus AMD saying RDNA 2 for PS5 puts everything in question.

We know the BC modes match what Sony did with the Pro.

We just dont know exactly what's in github. The first thing I asked after that small clip of the AMD engineer...that was about a week before the AMD stream...was "ok, then what the hell is Oberon???"

Because I immediately remembered we were speculating with it being Nav10.

We just don't know.

Either it's another chip we haven't seen yet, or we don't see the correct data/all the data for Oberon.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Unbelievable, I know.
Either way all this speculation os about to
Possibly, a 12tf system is doable assuming it has similar specs.
Series X is rumoured to have 56cu I think.
Five hundred bucks sounds right.

If Sony wants to go after price, $400 is better.
Series S Lockhart at $300, but with Cerny saying 8tf is enough for 4K, maybe it’s not even 9.2.

8k is out of the picture for Lockhart and PS5.
Then focus on 4K.
Fast SSD will help.

Last edited:

Unbelievable, I know.

LOL Let’s see how many people fall for this.

Koopatrol

Which one? This is the first insider tease in WEEKS that feels somewhat concrete. I am really interested what this may mean and if this relates to next generation.

This Pastebin right here. It's a web archive link. It's weird how the Pastebin was set to never expire, but it was still deleted. You can't do that unless you have a Pastebin account I think, and this was a guest user. Not saying it makes it real, but interesting nonetheless.

EDIT: Nevermind, if you have a Pastebin account, you can actually post a paste as an anonymous guest. So this guy could've just done that and deleted it. But this is the Pastebin that he was talking about.

Dammit! I fell for my own pastebin!

Hey, I found your Pastebin about a new Resistance on March 6th awhile back. That's why I got so excited, cause of a potential new Resistance game lmao.

Last edited:

B_Boss

I’m thinking 🤔.......about, maybe between 500.00-550.00 bucks is a good minimum to be safe? My only gripe are my beloved PS4 modsticks....sigh. I think that online shop went out of business. Best analog sticks ever.

Last edited:
Yes, please! I will not take getting lectured on 'masculinity' especially for terms like 'guys' that long ago lost any gender specific meaning and became a general descriptor for multiple people, etc. Unreal! Damn..I swear...I know my generation (gen X) basically caused all this PC bullshit by refusing to discipline our children but....this all is a damn good argument for spanking! :messenger_winking_tongue:
Hahaaaa love this!

Why did you relate that sentence to masculinity? Females don't say it?

Please take this bs elsewhere. You didn't have to turn his comment to something toxic.

LOL i was gonna say how much i hate that word, and just let it go. straight out of reeeee.

Reactions: TLZ

Sinthor

Gold Member
Possibly, a 12tf system is doable assuming it has similar specs.
Series X is rumoured to have 56cu I think.
Five hundred bucks sounds right.

If Sony wants to go after price, $400 is better.
Series S Lockhart at $300, but with Cerny saying 8tf is enough for 4K, maybe it’s not even 9.2.

8k is out of the picture for Lockhart and PS5.
Then focus on 4K.
Fast SSD will help.

Damn you guys! Now I'm reading EVERY post like that and spending time trying to figure out the ones that AREN'T doing this BS! :)

Probably been discussed in here but what do you guys think the economy and virus will have impact wise on these consoles? Coronavirus might not die down by summer and if it does, it's likely to emerge again in the fall/winter months. There's signs the world is looking at a recession soon. Can't be good for the consoles. On the other hand, maybe it is good for the consoles because with the virus scare craze people are probably going to go in less public places especially for entertainment. That means sitting in your comfy home playing some nice weeb games on PS5 with some waifus since you can't socialize.

I think China produces like 95% of the consoles. Is it possible to push production out of China? I don't think anyone has the manufacturing that could meet that demand even if outsourced to several different countries. Plus the countries around China who you'd outsource to are dealing with an outbreak too. There's a city in China that produces most of the world's electronic parts but the virus has not reached that area yet I think. I don't think Trump lifted tariffs in the US on consoles either that's a 25% hit? Seems like with all this in mind it would impact costs of the consoles.

Last edited:
My interpretation of BG's post regarding Sony and PS5:

Mark Cerny and his team are preparing a beastly console and its unlike anything we've seen before (design wise)

Agreed. Just to clarify about the focus on the timing and number that may seem obsessively insane... BGs did say everything needed to determine the tflop number was in the gif, and when another user guessed it was 9.2 because the original trailer was 9:20, he said they were wrong but basically on the right track.

squarealex

Take a rest & keep playing / enjoy games & retro!

I love DFRetro and loving more when the game use different engine on port. that's more fascinating to know how dev "use" power on older console.

Today the "new comparison" is people struggled just for 3 fps. It's just so much dumb now.

Last edited:

Mriverz

All signs lead to TCL series. For US gamers, I think the best time to purchase UHDTVs would be black Friday sale. Dont buy anything yet now. I am sure black Friday for this year, UHDTVs will have the following specs:

Wifi6 built in UHDTV
HDR10+ and Dolby Atmos
120hz

One thing i forgot to ask was about 'response time' or lag, has that been improved?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cn...st-tvs-for-gaming-with-low-input-lag-in-2020/

in the market for a new gen tv as well. Going wait til the companies drop their 2020 models

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned

Wifi6 built in UHDTV
HDR10+ and Dolby Atmos
120hz

All of them should have amazing "input lag", don't give shit for response time, input lag is what you need to know. HDMI 2.1 features contain law latency mode for gaming, nearly all mentioned should have something around 15ms which is very good. Keep an eye for rtings.com reviews as those are still not reviewed. I can see TCL 8-Series to be the best value/quality and the 2020 model got noticeable praise on CES 2020.

I would still go with Sony XH90 for being a fanboy and for being very satisfied with previes Sony TV's that age pretty well beyond 10 years mark. LG LCD ate shit and degrade overtime, OLED is like a spoiled baby that you can get the best picture quality yet needs much more care. It all depends on your usage, I like Sony TV's for color accuracy as Sony refrence monitor is still the idol of TV's and they've shifted from OLED to LCD lately to bring extreme HDR/brightness. That monitor is sold for $43,000 for professionals and it's only 31".

D

Deleted member 779727

Unconfirmed Member
This Pastebin right here. It's a web archive link. It's weird how the Pastebin was set to never expire, but it was still deleted. You can't do that unless you have a Pastebin account I think, and this was a guest user. Not saying it makes it real, but interesting nonetheless.

EDIT: Nevermind, if you have a Pastebin account, you can actually post a paste as an anonymous guest. So this guy could've just done that and deleted it. But this is the Pastebin that he was talking about.

Hey, I found your Pastebin about a new Resistance on March 6th awhile back. That's why I got so excited, cause of a potential new Resistance game lmao.

I also made a 14.2tf leak, but after creating it I couldn't seem to find it 😅. I did find it today but it seems to have expired 🤦‍♂️.

My predicted date of reveal is still March 11th so Iets see what happens.

Last edited by a moderator:

MonkeyPunch

Neo Member
Aloha

There was a band of storytellers.

Storytellers who told a story taken by an entertainer far and wide. They enticed a group of followers, and believed in the tale of wyverns and dragons.

Then one day, the entertainer crashed onto them in a pick up truck.

"Oh, my back! Yet I'm sure it was for a good cause!" screamed one

"I think I'm going blind, but this will help us win the war!" wheezed another

"I can't feel my legs, but thank you for a chance to make another video!" gasped the third

and they talked about the signs they saw, when it was probably hallucinations after losing liters of blood.

What happens next? ...coming soon™

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom