• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
But I dont want another pro hairdryer just for bragging rights, Sony should ensure that its quiet and remains quiet for the life of the system, and not a thermal paste / binning / assembled by lottery

Also 52 vs 52 CU is probably same 5800 family, Sony will get higher yields with more CU de-activated = cheaper.
thats why you are getting premium cooling system this time rather than a fan from Pro

Pigeons were used to send messages. In our current world we use the internet to send a message across, perhaps it means we are about to get a ps5 related update from sony either through a ps blog post or a wired piece or both!

Last edited:
For these still defending DF.

1SMCT8N.png

Rumors >>> News.

Even that other site owned the DF guy.

Really? They said that? :messenger_hushed:

After they confirmed that the PS5 is RDNA2 I expected a video about that for today...

I mean, they are neutral, right? :messenger_grinning_sweat:

👇👇👇
Oh, and not that it matters, but of course PS5 is RDNA2. I never said otherwise. I just hadn’t seen that presentation until today because I was not in town. I expect amazing things from PS5.

Last edited:
But I dont want another pro hairdryer just for bragging rights, Sony should ensure that its quiet and remains quiet for the life of the system, and not a thermal paste / binning / assembled by lottery

Also 52 vs 52 CU is probably same 5800 family, Sony will get higher yields with more CU de-activated = cheaper.
its 56 with 4 deactivated =52

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
thats why you are getting premium cooling system this time rather than a fan from Pro
ps4 pro had a heatsink too you know. :p it just didn't did a good job cooling the apu which made the fan run in overdrive trying to cool the heatsink.

Ps5 will have a fan, it will just have a much more advanced heatsink.

That’s a pretty shitty thing to say but you’re probably right. This feels like such a tiny thing compared to everything else going on, though, so fuck it. I will do as you say and leave.

Oh, and not that it matters, but of course PS5 is RDNA2. I never said otherwise. I just hadn’t seen that presentation until today because I was not in town. I expect amazing things from PS5.

If mods are reading, maybe reach out. I’d like to say just delete my account or maybe a temporary ban would be better. This is my final post here. Appreciate the folks that have been kind. If you want to stay in touch, reach out elsewhere.

Hey John, I apologize on that guy's behalf. Not everyone is as harsh and mean spirited as him. Love your work, love the work DF puts in games tech, keep up the great work sir!

Last edited:
5f88x67.jpg

Right I can’t sit about posting pigeon facts all day for you bird lovers. I have to get on, I have people coming around tonight! How am I supposed to cook for myself, my wife, my kid and 13 other guests? Better get a wiggle on, they will be here about quarter past five, though they are usually a couple minutes early.
lol 16 gb with 512gb/s

Neo Blaster

So the Xbox Series X being about 12TF and 56Cu means that its at about 1700 to reach 12.1TF, for the PS5 to get near that it needs to hit 1810 to get 12.0 or 11.98 if it uses 1800. Even if sony uses super cooling to exceed Xbox numbers Microsoft could always introduce better cooling later to increase clocks further (as they have more headroom)
Introduce better cooling this far? Lol no, but they may have room to increase the clock.

Shmunter

So the 13tf PS5 estimate is gaining momentum?

At the end of the day the consoles being apart no more than a couple of Tflops is good for everyone. Good for PS5, good for Xbox, good for pc. A high tide raises all ships. Better games for everyone.

But yet, we still have the Lockheart clusterfuck to deal with. With some luck the sales of PS5, & XbX combined slaps lockheart and provides for a high watermark for development target.

At the end of the day the consoles being apart no more than a couple of Tflops is good for everyone. Good for PS5, good for Xbox, good for pc. A high tide raises all ships. Better games for everyone.

But yet, we still have the Lockheart clusterfuck to deal with. With some luck the sales of PS5, & XbX combined slaps lockheart and provides for a high watermark for development target.
52@1750 is 11.6 TF
52@1800 is 12 TF
52@1850 is 12.3TF
52@1900 is 12.6 Tf
52 @1950 is 13 TF
52 @2000 is 13.3 TF

Last edited:
Pigeons were used to send messages. In our current world we use the internet to send a message across, perhaps it means we are about to get a ps5 related update from sony either through a ps blog post or a wired piece or both!
Pigeons could also mean target specs.
Really?

After they confirmed that the PS5 is RDNA2 I expected a video about that for today...:messenger_grinning_sweat:

👇👇👇
I like Dark1x but he has his own opinions (thankfully) and doesn't decide which news article he is doing nor the editorial stance of Digital Foundry. Currently their public (official) opinion is that PS5 is RDNA1 and 9.2 tflops.

More like 12.6 which would make both machines pretty similar as most reliable insiders have said.
Imagine thinking memes protect you from breaching NDAs.
He has no NDAs. He has friends.

Last edited:

gargalo13

Neo Member
[QUOTE = "o'dium, post: 257269464, membro: 718122"]
5f88x67.jpg

Certo, eu não posso sentar sobre postar fatos sobre pombos o dia todo para vocês amantes de pássaros. Eu tenho que seguir em frente, tenho pessoas chegando hoje à noite! Como devo cozinhar para mim, minha esposa, meu filho e outros 13 convidados? Melhor começar, eles chegarão por volta das cinco e quinze, embora geralmente cheguem alguns minutos antes.
[/CITAR]

13 people, plus me, wife and child. 13.3 TF confirmed.
5:15 revelation.

Last edited:
[QUOTE = "o'dium, post: 257269464, membro: 718122"]
5f88x67.jpg

Certo, eu não posso sentar sobre postar fatos sobre pombos o dia todo para vocês amantes de pássaros. Eu tenho que seguir em frente, tenho pessoas chegando hoje à noite! Como devo cozinhar para mim, minha esposa, meu filho e outros 13 convidados? Melhor começar, eles chegarão por volta das cinco e quinze, embora geralmente cheguem alguns minutos antes.
[/CITAR]

13 people, plus wife and child. 13.2 TF confirmed.
5:15 revelation.
no its 16 gb(16 people) and 3 min before 5:15 is 512. so ram is 16 GB 512 gb/s bandwidth

Last edited:

FrozenFlame

Honest question, why is it when someone breaks the quote tag, it's on a different language from the original post? Does the forum has some translation feature?

Shio

5f88x67.jpg

Right I can’t sit about posting pigeon facts all day for you bird lovers. I have to get on, I have people coming around tonight! How am I supposed to cook for myself, my wife, my kid and 13 other guests? Better get a wiggle on, they will be here about quarter past five, though they are usually a couple minutes early.
So in captivity (testing - PS5) can reach 15TF with 2250 but i suppose in the real world (urban) it 3.5 (13.5?) which would be 2000. A speed of 2000 would result in 13.312 TF 13(guests).3(You,wife and kid)12(a couple minutes before quarter(15))

Last edited:

pasterpl

Costs, Revenue, or profits?

I was talking about the console. I know Microsoft has combined all gaming related efforts into XBox studios.

That's revenues alone, cannot find any info about actual profits, but if we assume that they make 10% margin on that we can estimate $1bn (Sony profits on gaming and related services is closer to 16%). I think that they have separated some stuff recently, isn't that right?

TBiddy

yes, really funny to see how much m$ fucked m$ fanboys that they accepting low level console and can't make a stand. it is even more pathetic that sony so called fanboys has to stand up for them. wow. how low you have to be. i would say imagine, but no need to imagine, it is reality.

I have to say, that I've seen a lot of poor posts in this thread. But this one is right up there with the best of the best (or worst of the worst?).

icerock

yes, really funny to see how much m$ fucked m$ fanboys that they accepting low level console and can't make a stand. it is even more pathetic that sony so called fanboys has to stand up for them. wow. how low you have to be. i would say imagine, but no need to imagine, it is reality.

Lockhart should be fine as long as they don't gimp the CPU and SSD completely, how about people actually wait for MS to confirm the specs before enchanting doom and gloom spell?

mPStJX5.png

The mention of "Based off of speculation/reddit and other sources online." was already there at the time of the 9.2TF rumor.

It's a placeholder, don't read too much into it.

Besides, 60CUs @2.0GHz would mean a 15.3TF console, even SlimySnake SlimySnake is not that optimistic :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Dodkrake

Banned
Here’s my take, because I like riddles. Thank you Gavin Stevens Gavin Stevens , this is fun, even if you are messing with everybody's head !

So, I counted:
  • 16 Coo's
  • 36 coo's
These line up with Oberon's 36 small compute units, with the 16 big boys being the RT CU's.

As for the address, 1600 MA relates to 1600Mhz, while 16-512 is total RAM and bandwidth.
  • 1600 Madison Avenue = 1600Mhz
  • 16-512 = 16GB 512 bandwidth

Since this pigeon is not flying as high as it can due to bad weather, we can understand this as if there are some kings to clear up with this particular pigeon. In this case, it has been inferred that it can fly 100 to 150 higher once the weather clears out, meaning 150Mhz, up to 1750Mhz. It is also said that said pigeon is only a pigeon, meaning that this is just a dev Kit, so we cannot assume that those 150Mhz are as high as the finished thing can do, but they are as high as this dev kit can.

Now, pigeons can live for 15 or so years when free, however captive ones ony live for 3.5 or so. This to me shows that while this GPU is capable of 15TF, it won't be getting there, and is getting to 11.5 or so. However, when asked about if the pigeon can go harder than 12TF, it is said that you don't mess with it, it messes with you. I take this as "it can, but it will bite you back", meaning we won't be getting more than that.

So, at the end of the day:

36 regular CU's
16 RT CU's
16GB RAM with 512GB bandwidth

GPU can go to 15TF, however this current one is running at 10.6 and will at most reach 11.6TF.

Desodeset

Neo Member
no its 16 gb(16 people) and 3 min before 5:15 is 512. so ram is 16 GB 512 gb/s bandwidth

That is exactly 16 GB GDDR6 / 16 Gbps / 256-bit bus (512 gb/s bandwith)

But as far i remember, Oberon tests showed higher bandiwth achieved (around 550 gb/s). So, Sony might go with underclocked 18 Gbps chips.

FranXico

Here’s my take, because I like riddles. Thank you Gavin Stevens Gavin Stevens , this is fun, even if you are messing with everybody's head !

So, I counted:
  • 16 Coo's
  • 36 coo's
These line up with Oberon's 36 small compute units, with the 16 big boys being the RT CU's.

As for the address, 1600 MA relates to 1600Mhz, while 16-512 is total RAM and bandwidth.

Since this pigeon is not flying as high as it can due to bad weather, we can understand this as if there are some kings to clear up with this particular pigeon. In this case, it has been inferred that it can fly 100 to 150 higher once the weather clears out, meaning 150Mhz, up to 1750Mhz. It is also said that said pigeon is only a pigeon, meaning that this is just a dev Kit, so we cannot assume that those 150Mhz are as high as the finished thing can do, but they are as high as this dev kit can.

Now, pigeons can live for 15 or so years when free, however captive ones ony live for 3.5 or so. This to me shows that while this GPU is capable of 15TF, it won't be getting there, and is getting to 11.5 or so. However, when asked about if the pigeon can go harder than 12TF, it is said that you don't mess with it, it messes with you. I take this as "it can, but it will bite you back", meaning we won't be getting more than that.

36 regular CU's
16 RT CU's

GPU can go to 15TF, however this current one is running at 10.6 and will at most reach 11.6TF.
This fits everything together. It shows what was correct and what was missing from the github data, while matching other leaks as well.

You, sir, are the smartest bird watcher here!

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Banned
While commercialy I absolutely see the value of Lockhart, I'm not convinced that 300 vs 500 dollars (likely) are worth it from an "ideological" point of view, it's still a 200 dollars difference in seven years. Unless they designed the hardware to perfectly scale 4K\1080 p no problem, there will be another complication in sight while console enviroment should be as focused as possible, what about SeX Pro when will come out? Three main consoles? Meh.

Plus what will MS do with the Xbox One S and Xbox One X at the end of this year?

DrDamn

So, I counted:
  • 16 Coo's
  • 36 coo's

36 regular CU's
16 RT CU's

Interesting take, the separation of regular CU's and RT CU's would help link up with another leak nicely and also help with the B/C. Technically is this something you've just inferred or have knowledge of - i.e. not is this the PS5 specs but is this how we expect AMD to provide a RT solution?

IkarugaDE

I see it the same way you do - except MS does it right. IMO the right way would be if Lockhart can play games as well as the XSX - only with 1080p instead of 4k. At most with a few reduced graphics options. Then I see absolutely no danger to the other consoles.
Ultimately, it wouldn't be a great difference compared to a PC (high specs vs. high end specs).

Desodeset

Neo Member

So, I counted:
  • 16 Coo's
  • 36 coo's

36 regular CU's
16 RT CU's

That CU separation does it make sense? Isn't that a brute approach? That contradicts with the rumors about a more elegant RT solution in PS5.

Rudius

I l
I've come to the opinion that it's impossible to avoid it. I've worked super hard to NOT make console war style videos over the past couple years. That has been my main objective. Even then, they were used in that way. That's why I'm mostly split between Retro (my preferred content) and stuff like those feature videos (ie - Death Stranding, Gears 5, Days Gone etc). I just like to showcase what makes games beautiful while helping people learn. Comparisons can be interesting when the differences are massive, though, but they rarely are these days. That's why I still enjoy doing Switch videos as the sacrifices tend to be huge.

Now that we have a new gen? This is going to suck so much. It's really not much fun anymore. I used to love these hype cycles but things have become too personal and nasty as of late. It's never enough to disagree - they have to tear others down.

Oh how I wish I could just cover retro stuff full-time - that's where my actual interests are these days. I'm fairly positive, at least, that I own more games on various PlayStation platforms than like 95% of the folks in this thread anyways (~1027 physical games + 315 digital for PS platforms).

Either way, with things escalating, I'll probably have to take a long hiatus from the various forums as it really gets to me even when it shouldn't. It's not healthy.

Also - just in case people missed this I *DO NOT* make videos based on rumors and the like. That's not what I do personally. So if you dislike that type of content, that's fine, but leave me out of it. A lot of people DO enjoy it, though.
I like your retro videos, specially when they are about the PS1 and PS2 generation. 2D stuff is fine, but I am always fascinated by those early 3D games.

So with Gavin Stevens Gavin Stevens info we still in the range of 11.6 to maybe 12
Which is basically fucking nothing even at 11.6 and will have no effect on games between the 2 systems.
Got to to see how other parts compare to each other .

Last edited:

Banned

So, I counted:
  • 16 Coo's
  • 36 coo's

36 regular CU's
16 RT CU's

so do we think AMD's RT solution uses regular CUs that are basically reserved?

🤔 mhh... that to me sounds like a way less sophisticated way than what Nvidia is doing tho. right?
because that makes it seem like there actually is no dedicated RT hardware and AMD is literally just reserving resources for RT instead if giving their GPUs additional hardware to offload the workload

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom