• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaintTinJr

As for temps I am actually more concerned with the longevity of the PS5 at normal OT. Overclocking 20% I need to wonder if it will be as bulletproof as the PS4 has been for the past 7 years. It is really the main reason I will not be purchasing a PS5 . I can see these failing due to the stress they will be under.

I Won't get a a XBX so I'll hold out for a few years and see how the PS5 holds up before I will consider it.
Actually, from what has been described the PS5 design will produce proportionally less heat by-product as a result of clock boosting under lighter processing, so the chip should be more reliable. However, console reliability is more to do with memory module thermals than processors which can handle big temp variations. The PS5 GDDR6 memory is fast, but not cutting edge reliability worrying fast, so that shouldn’t be an issue either – especially if they are splurging on an expensive cooling solution that does away with the need for cheap and nasty heat-pads that age poorly becoming less effective over time.

So is there a 3.5mm jack? I always use wired headphones for my PS4 so this will be a but of a buzz kill to have to buy a dedicated pair that I'll have to charge?

Anyone got a pic proving it has or hasn't one?

Evilms

Banned
OCbtbvV.gif

UnkemptTemptingChuckwalla-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

As for temps I am actually more concerned with the longevity of the PS5 at normal OT. Overclocking 20% I need to wonder if it will be as bulletproof as the PS4 has been for the past 7 years. It is really the main reason I will not be purchasing a PS5 . I can see these failing due to the stress they will be under.

I Won't get a a XBX so I'll hold out for a few years and see how the PS5 holds up before I will consider it.

Overclocking is by definition pushing it beyond the manufacturers certified range.

Sony is the manufacturer and co-designer. High clocked isn't overclocked, it's just what it was designed for, and it's more the heat and heat cycling in specific that kills chips, so lets see this cooler's performance first.

SSfox

Was playing AC4BF (for the 3rd time, love this game so much), and come back and BOOM see DS5 reveal wow OMG!!!

Last edited:

icerock

Didn't take long for concern to start about lack of headphone jack. Would be unbelievably dumb of them to have a dedicated audio hardware on the silicon itself which can be leveraged by headphones, only to not provide headphone jack at all.

Anyways, Shu liked this tweet so it's probably in there. They haven't revealed the backside of DS5, there is hope (still?) about back-paddles.

Ascend

Only people who seem to dislike the controller are people with Halo avatars...
After looking a bit closer at it, it's kind of hard to see how big it is, but the location of the two buttons next to the touch pad look easy to accidentally press when in the heat of the moment if you have large thumbs. Might not be an issue at all though. But I would prefer those to be located lower, simply from a functionality perspective. It looks very nice though. Futuristic. Makes me wonder what the console looks like.

travisktl

After looking a bit closer at it, it's kind of hard to see how big it is, but the location of the two buttons next to the touch pad look easy to accidentally press when in the heat of the moment if you have large thumbs. Might not be an issue at all though. But I would prefer those to be located lower, simply from a functionality perspective. It looks very nice though. Futuristic. Makes me wonder what the console looks like.
Obviously, nobody can say for sure because we don't have a size reference of the controller, but compared to the DS4, those buttons looks like they're in a very similar position. If you didn't have an issue with the DS4, I doubt there will be issues with the DS.

I can't imagine the console will be drastically different from the controllers color scheme and theme, so I'd expect a very sleek and futuristic looking PS5 console. At least I hope anyways! I love this controller design.

SonGoku

Didn't take long for concern to start about lack of headphone jack. Would be unbelievably dumb of them to have a dedicated audio hardware on the silicon itself which can be leveraged by headphones, only to not provide headphone jack at all.

Anyways, Shu liked this tweet so it's probably in there. They haven't revealed the backside of DS5, there is hope (still?) about back-paddles.

Is the bluetooth quality even good, isn't it limited to 256kbps?

LordOfChaos

Huh?

dualsense-01-640x442.jpg

3.5mm headphone jack right..............................................................^There, and they had already confirmed it back with Wired

Last edited:

SonGoku

You mean the bluetooth from Dualshock 4? Have less input latency than wired. At least, the revision one.
Yeah if you want best audio quality, wireless headphones should be a must especially with 3D Audio
Bluetooth transfer speed of ds4 is very limited, capped at 256kbps unless i remember wrong

Last edited:

Fake

Yeah if you want best audio quality, wireless headphones should be a must especially with 3D Audio
Bluetooth transfer speed is very limited

I not much an expect on that tech, but is bluetooth stopped in time? What was the lastest version of bluetooth today?

T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member
I just heard from a journalist who writes for Windows Central that the controller is so heavy that after a prolonged session, play-testers are having trouble moving their fingers. Also, that light bar you see? It's dissipating a lot of heat and the controller can get really hot. Also, battery is worse than DS4. Sony are so worried about this that they are undergoing a significant revision of the controller. Watch this space.
some people on Twitter are actually sharing this thinking it is real Lmao

travisktl

Huh?

dualsense-01-640x442.jpg

3.5mm headphone jack right..............................................................^There, and they had already confirmed it back with Wired
Did they completely replace the speaker on the controller with the mic? To me, it looks like the speaker on top, and the small hole on the bottom is the mic. I agree the that 3.5mm jack has to be on the controller somewhere, but I'm just saying what you're pointing out doesn't look like that port to me.

farmerboy

I like this one the best, looks so much better with colors
Do it Sony!
xDll5SZ.jpg

Yeah it looks great.

For me, this reveal is just further proof that it seems like Playstation 5 will be a console evolved on every front.

So far;
SSD/IO - massive change
VARIABLE CLOCKS - complete rethink on power management
RT - new rendering support
DUALSENSE - haptic
APU - previously unseen clocks

I think this points to;
- further revision of the UI
- further advancement in the API
- we'll also see more interesting customisation in the CUs based around RT and taking advantage of those clocks.

I've never been this excited to see a new console, maybe the 16bit era.

Exciting times ahead, if the console looks as good as this then it'll be a homerun.

Last edited:

icerock

Is the bluetooth quality even good, isn't it limited to 256kbps?

Yeah it seems counter-productive to not have a dedicated wired setup for headphones.

Huh?

dualsense-01-640x442.jpg

Can you share the bit about headphone jack in the Wired article?

some people on Twitter are actually sharing this thinking it is real Lmao

LMAO, post them!

Chun Swae

Banned
Honestly loving the controller, adding those colors to the buttons would make it perfection. Also I think we will get a two toned V shaped design similar to the dev kits. Sony making this new console generation actually exciting, unlike a giant black tower.

LordOfChaos

Did they completely replace the speaker on the controller with the mic? To me, it looks like the speaker on top, and the small hole on the bottom is the mic. I agree the that 3.5mm jack has to be on the controller somewhere, but I'm just saying what you're pointing out doesn't look like that port to me.

I don't see why the mic coudln't be behind the same grille as the speaker, or somewhere else, look at any laptop and mic holes are tiny, like many many times smaller than a 3.5mm jack hole. We've seen multiple angles and there's nowhere else a headphone jack could be seen, meanwhile the hole at the bottom looks every bit the same shape and size and in the same position as the current headphone jack port

Last edited:

Grodiak

gray could be the most beautiful gamepad in the fucking history, sony open your eyes and mind.

I think they did that a while back no? ;) But for sure would sell amongst hobbyists. Don't see why they couldn't do a special edition controller later on.

Ascend

Huh?

dualsense-01-640x442.jpg

I thought it was that too... But, why would the headphone jack logo have a strike-through line on it if it is a headphone jack?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom