• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I can't help but feel like even 1080p/240 is a stretch. Are we talking about VR? What kind of visual fidelity/image quality are we expecting in a 240fps mode? Surely something will have to be scaled back, even at 1080p.
Its probably possible, 4K@60 and 1080p@240 is rendering the exact same amount of pixels per second. its a 4X decrease in resolution with a 4X increase in fps. Though to be honest its probably overkill, they'll do fine with a 1440p-1600p 120hz mode

Well, 8K@60fps = 4K@240fps = 1080p@480fps in terms of bandwidth. Doesn't mean you can run that on your current TV, but more like future proofing, VR, eSport FiA championship monitors downsampled.

ROG_Swift_360_678x452.jpg

Current VR games look like PS2/PS3, so expect next gen VR to look like PS4/PS4 Pro.

saintjules

Ah, page 2000. On this year I went to Target to wait on line for the PS2 launch. The night before I saw people standing on line via the news, and was like wtf? They're already on line waiting? Never seen anything like that before. I told my Dad and he was like "Don't worry you'll get one".

Got there at 4am, and then I was hearing some people from the crowd, "tooo laaaaate". Then I heard the store employees saying, "only the first 100 will get a PS2." Then they cut the line once they reached that 100.

Went to school later that morning with $350 in the pocket. Took me another 3 months to get one.

Last edited:

Faithless83

Banned
Ah, page 2000. On this year I went to Target to wait on line for the PS2 launch. The night before I saw people standing on line via the news, and was like wtf? They're already on line waiting? Never seen anything like that before. I told my Dad and he was like "Don't worry you'll get one".

Got there at 4am, and then I was hearing some people from the crowd, "tooo laaaaate". Then I heard the store employees saying, "only the first 100 will get a PS2." Then they cut the line once they reached that 100.

Went to school later that morning with $350 in the pocket. Took me another 3 months to get one.

Wow. Here in Brazil I go to grey markets to get consoles. Always wondered what it would be like to stay on a line overnight to get one.
We also usually get the most expensive console in the world price wise. LOL

I can't help but feel like even 1080p/240 is a stretch. Are we talking about VR? What kind of visual fidelity/image quality are we expecting in a 240fps mode? Surely something will have to be scaled back, even at 1080p.
Yes, probably PSVR2. PSVR1 is 1080p 120hz (the majority of games already outputs at 120hz with reprojection). PSVR2 should be able to do 1440p 240hz. But if it's the case they are probably going to use reprojection from 120fps to get there.

They could do 2160p at 120hz for PSVR2 too. I am not sure which should be the best for VR. I think with a great screen 1440p could be enough and downsampling from higher resolution image should help (particularly with PS5 Pro). But what I am pretty sure is that they are going to max out the HDMI 2.1 bandwidth (like they maxed out the HDMI 1.4 bandwidth with PSVR1). So it should be either 2160p at 120hz or 1440p at 240hz.

Last edited:
Gamespot just put a next-gen article out

Aside from a few key hardware details, the PS5 and Xbox Series X have some notable differences. Exclusive games, subscription services, controllers, backward compatibility, expandable storage, form factor--these are all ways the new consoles are forming their distinct identities and setting the stage for the upcoming generation.

Then breaks it down into the following segments

Platform-Exclusive Games
At Your Service
Backwards Compatibility And Smart Delivery
Sensible Controller Improvments
Changes In Form Factor
SSD Storage Wars
The Slight Difference In Power

xacto

But at least you weren't stalked by Timdog and Co.

J_Gamer.exe

PS5 IOXSX IO
Flash Controller12 Lanes - Six levels of priority. Make - Rumoured to be Marvel. Link4 Lanes - Two levels of priority. Make - Rumoured to be Phison. Link
DecompressionBespoke Hardware. 9 Zen2 CPU Cores worth of workBespoke Hardware. 3 Zen2 CPU Cores worth of work
CoherencyBespoke Hardware. Assits IO Co-processors and GPU Cache Scrubbers. Housekeeper of sorts, keeps everything in placeUnspecified - 1
MappingBespoke Hardware. One IO Co-processor with shared SRAM10% of 1 Zen2 CPU Core used. May have possible DRAM
File IOBespoke Hardware. One IO Co-processor with shared SRAMThe above helps in this too
Check In & Load ManagementBespoke Hardware. DMA Controller does 2 Zen2 CPU core worth of workUnspecified - 2
GPU Cache ScrubbersBespoke Hardware. Evicts portions of cache instead of entire cache, protects from GPU stallsUnspecified - 3

Some questions on unspecified:

1. Is CPU processing utilized to make the process more coherent ?
2. Will it utilize CPU core if its not dedicated hardware ?
3. If none, it invalidates the entire cache before filling it with new data, more susceptible to GPU stalls. Worsens Latency.

Wow. I knew everything that was in the PS5 but never realized how much of it was lacking the Xbox solution. MS better hope devs dont utilize the PS5 SSD in any meaningful ways next gen because this is not looking good.

Just my opinion and a theory but...

The more I think about it, I don't think it's as much Sony who have been caught out by the power narrative, but more Microsoft who may have been so consumed by wanting to be the most powerful with TF (maybe encouraged down that path and maybe wanting to go there also). So much that I wonder if they underestimated and maybe even have fallen behind in the real key area of next gen advancements and breakthroughs, the io, breathtaking speed and system efficiency.

People wiser than me like Coreteks seem to think the PS5 has got it right with the io.

I mean who really expected the breakthroughs Sony seems to have made to possibly be as amazing as it's sounding... 100 times faster processing than ps4... it's a dream they had but to fulfil it...

Were hearing revolutionary from some, praising the 'breakthroughs' from others and some high calibre people.

I wonder if Xbox is actually secretly a little concerned behind closed doors now cards are on the table more?

They have that TF number and yes a lead in raw compute and most fans on seeing that think it's over.

But have they been left behind too much in this io area which more and more is sounding the real game changer?

THE:MILKMAN

The more I think about it, I don't think it's as much Sony who have been caught out by the power narrative, but more Microsoft who may have been so consumed by wanting to be the most powerful with TF (maybe encouraged down that path and maybe wanting to go there also). So much that I wonder if they underestimated and maybe even have fallen behind in the real key area of next gen advancements and breakthroughs, the io, breathtaking speed and system efficiency.

People wiser than me like Coreteks seem to think the PS5 has got it right with the io.

I mean who really expected the breakthroughs Sony seems to have made to possibly be as amazing as it's sounding... 100 times faster processing than ps4... it's a dream they had but to fulfil it...

Were hearing revolutionary from some, praising the 'breakthroughs' from others and some high calibre people.

I wonder if Xbox is actually secretly a little concerned behind closed doors now cards are on the table more?

They have that TF number and yes a lead in raw compute and most fans on seeing that think it's over.

But have they been left behind too much in this io area which more and more is sounding the real game changer?

Time will tell which one turns out most right but lets be honest, both would have been going for TF and I/O but like everything had to make compromises. Microsoft stuck with 12TF but had to back off on RAM/BW and I/O and Sony put most of their eggs in the SSD and I/O basket.

LED Guy?

Banned
No, I consider your entire Twitter-history pathetic, quite frankly. Each to their own, of course, but if you can't handle criticism, don't share your Twitter-profile here.
Nah it's OK to criticize, but calling me out because I pointed out a liar in the Xbox group is the pathetic thing here, don't yell at me, yell at Colteastwood who you're defending him right now and defending his lies and misinformation.

PlayStation 5 will DESTROY Xbox Series X in games and sales it's not even comparable!!

Scream at Microsoft. 🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰

Last edited:

The only thing that I will say is that Microsoft appears more confident with the systems power than it's I/O system. Sony on the other hand are the opposite.

mckmas8808

Banned
Gamespot just put a next-gen article out

Then breaks it down into the following segments

Platform-Exclusive Games
At Your Service
Backwards Compatibility And Smart Delivery
Sensible Controller Improvments
Changes In Form Factor
SSD Storage Wars
The Slight Difference In Power

It's too early for this.