• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sinthor

Gold Member
Even better. Because the editor is very resource heavy. You are looking at around 10 fps being lost, give or take. So it running at 40 fps in editor is actually around 50 fps if he built it.

Dude... You DO know that running these demos in the editor is done without all the high end features, etc. turned on, right? You are seriously wanting us to believe that the EXACT SAME demo with the EXACT SAME resources and quality will run on a LAPTOP graphics card better than the PS5?

Do you see how this makes you seem.....less than credible with your knowledge? And you're twisting a fucking GOOGLE TRANSLATE to what you WANT it to be...even less credible. Bottom line, we don't know anything other than what Epic said officially. I'll take an officer of the company's word over some bumfuck Egypt engineer who the officer of the company doesn't even know, any day. Especially since you have people trying to pull native Chinese translations out of their ass to fit their own personal agendas. This is beyond stupid.

People like you are very likely to have some serious butthurt issues once real comparisons of both these machines come out. It's been said over and over in this thread...in just the GPU power arena the difference this time around is far less than it was for the PS4 and Xbox One and nobody could tell the differences THERE without Digital Foundry's help! You think there's somehow going to be a bigger difference now? Hint: there will be a very noticeable difference, but it's going to be around the SSD and I/O. Not the graphics on the games. Most likely. But again, we have to see direct comparisons. Right now that UE5 demo looks by far to be the most "next gen" thing we've seen for EITHER console. I don't expect things to stay that way, certainly. But it is what it is today.

All this bullshit about this Chinese video that was playing a video file. FFS!

I guess I shouldn't be so rough on people though. Let people dream whatever they want to dream. Just don't expect the rest of us to suffer the same delusions. Until some real facts and proof are available to support this BS, it remains....BS.

Sw0pDiller

I think it’s also interesting that Tom (Moore’s Law/MLiD) stated that DICE had mentioned that they’re pretty much taking full advantage of the PS5’s hardware/software, which is music to my ears if true 🔥.
I hope Sony has learned from the PS3, absolute power in cell architecture but too difficult for devs to pull out all that juice. Same goes for midgen refresh consoles (PS4Pro) in a lesser version. Sony has put all the PS5 SSD power in the api now (so said Marc Cerny) so every dev can get all that ssd speed from the beginning and can utilise it without a penalty. some sevs wille only get the ps5 to load faster that XBsX and some will adapt the engine even further to let the system shine. same goes for the extra GPU grunt in XBsX. some will let some 100p extra resolution fly free.

geordiemp

This is a tired argument. No the older console isn't going to hold back a title any more than a low end PC held back how gears of war 5 looked and played ( Which it didn't ). Games that scale is nothing new. Single games could have different features, render paths, you name it. Xbox is NOT tied to PC in anyway. I don't know where you get that failed narrative from.

When MS shows first party games ( and we have already seen glipses of a few) that look as good or better then anything you have seen coming, then i'm sure you will change the argument back to "Xbox has no exclusives", or "MS should sell the xbox division", or the best one ever - "It only sells in america and england anyway".

Gears 5 was a Jaguar target game and it showed, 8 x less CPU minimum puts huge constraints and limits enemies and their number and variety, AI, Physics the whole game.

Any game written around > 3.5 GHz 16 threads with almsot double teh IPC to a jaguar (probably over 10 x) with not run on ps4, Xb1 at all.

It has nothing to do with GPU scaling, nothing at all.

I think RedGamingTech might be onto something when he was talking about a possible Zen 3 feature on the PS5's CPU. It gives Sony's recent cooling patent more credence since it all has to do with minimizing latency.

(timestamped)

CCX (stands for CPU CompleX/Core CompleX) is a term used by AMD to describe a four-core cluster and their L1, L2 and L3 caches, found in Zen, Zen+ and Zen 2 processors. So, ASSUMING the PlayStation 5 has this Zen 3 feature, this is the layout for an 8-core Zen 2 CPU (ignore the amount of MB in the caches):

RW3ve7U.png

L1 cache memory is on the core itself with L2 being right outside the core, the L3 cache is also located outside the cores but are also split into 4 different sections. By looking at this image, you can tell there are 2 CCX's linked by an Infinity Fabric interconnect to form an 8-core CPU. Now, the point Paul's trying to make is that some calculations require a core like core 1 for example on the top CCX, to access the L3 cache of core 6 & 7, both of which reside on the BOTTOM CCX, and that causes latency issues.

Here is Zen 3's layout compared to Zen 2's:

I9gy4Vz.jpg

You can see that the L3 cache is unified now, minimizing latency in the process because this is now technically a ONE BIG 8-core CCX chip WITHOUT an Infinity Fabric interconnect linking them. There aren't 2 separate CCX's anymore because of this microarchitecture design, which is pretty insane to think about. How does this give credence to Sony's cooling patent? Well, Paul says that one of his sources told him that Sony's trying to minimize latency as much as possible overall with the PS5, referencing the PS Vita with stacked chips when asked about the cooling patent. I personally think it's highly likely that we're going to see everything stacked together on the cooling solution when they show off the teardown of the console, reducing power consumption and latency in the process.

He does go on to talk about how PS5's CPU doesn't have the massive 15% IPC gains you get from the jump to Zen 3 from Zen 2, but I don't think he realizes the PS5 doesn't need that feature at all cause it's useless. The IPC gain you get in Zen 3 only benefits single-thread performance and PS5's CPU is running at 3.5GHz with SMT/hyper-threading turned on by default, which uses all 8 cores & 16 threads. So maybe the Xbox Series X might have this feature when the CPU is running at 3.8GHz with SMT turned off, only using 8 threads.

I can't wait until the Digital Foundry comparisons drop, people like Dealer hyping up a "massive" delta in terms of performance between the two consoles because of the TFLOPs difference are only setting themselves and their hardcore fans up for disappointment. I think PS5's gonna be an absolute beast and it's going to potentially perform like something we've never seen before, honestly can't wait to see it in action.

In the personal I think without any base if exists a that customization in the CPU is very probably should exists in both sides but who knows.

In case of the GPUs I expect some grade of customization in both consoles even some new features which could be or not
part of Zen 3, but in difference to the CPU here I expect more things in Play just because we know the antecedents of Sony.

But this a guess of the "guess" so meh.

geordiemp

The only way MS would be able to squeeze as much as they can from the series x while still supporting older consoles would be if the xbox one & x versions of games look like absolute shit, as in 720p sub 30fps on the one, and perhaps 1440p on the X. Similar to Ground Zeroes on last gen where the ps360 versions ran at around 600p, while PS4 ran 1080p60.
Even then there'll be a few features (mostly ssd exclusive ones) that the Series x wont be able to fully benefit from due to the game being designed around hard drives

Your thinking about the wrong components, GPUs scale, CPUs dont so much.

The concept has NOTHING to do with GPU scaling.

So, is the game written for a Zen 2 or a Jaguar.

Games written for Ps4 / XB1 will of course run easily upscaled on the new consoles.

Games written for new consoles CPU power will not run on the current gen toasters.

Making games cross gen is limiting enemy numbers, physics and game design to toaster logic.

Jaguar games need to die already.

Last edited:

LED Guy?

Banned
I’ve been doing an amazing work for NeoGAF, you guys will be forgetting about me if I ever left NeoGAF (which I won’t 🤣), you’ll remember me as the one who’s been promoting NeoGAF and saying guys like Mod of War Mod of War are very cool and understanding.

I maybe here sometimes doing console wars and stuff, I know it will be an amazing console generation, probably the best one ever, it’s just jokes when we do all these console wars and stuff! 🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰

But back to the main topic, you can see here me promoting Mod of War Mod of War and that he’s cool and all in this picture right here. 🦍🦍🦍

By the way Mod of War, if you found this comment trolling or off-topic, you can suspend me if you want, I always play by the rules. 💰💰💰❤❤❤❤💣💣💣

jN6Px6q.jpg

Last edited:

FranXico

Gears 5 was a Jaguar target game and it showed, 8 x less CPU minimum puts huge constraints and limits enemies and their number and variety, AI, Physics the whole game.

Any game written around > 3.5 GHz 16 threads with almsot double teh IPC to a jaguar (probably over 10 x) with not run on ps4, Xb1 at all.

It has nothing to do with GPU scaling, nothing at all.
Aye, next gen exclusives will be awesome. Gears 6 could have some really epic battles.

Aye, next gen exclusives will be awesome. Gears 6 could have some really epic battles.
If the game is released after 2022 yes if not well hi my old friend jaguar cpu.

I want to try Halo Infinite first in my Xbox one and then compared when a buy the XSX just to see in first hand which
things were sacrificed aside the resolution and framerate.

geordiemp

I’ve been doing an amazing work for NeoGAF, you guys will be forgetting about me if I ever left NeoGAF (which I won’t 🤣), you’ll remember me as the one who’s been promoting NeoGAF and saying guys like Mod of War Mod of War are very cool and understanding.

I maybe here sometimes doing console wars and stuff, I know PS5 will OBLITERATE Xbox Series X in sales and games when they both release, we all know that but we sometimes like to pretend that they aren’t, that’s not a prediction, that’s a spoiler! 🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰

But back to the main topic, you can see here me promoting Mod of War Mod of War and that he’s cool and all in this picture right here. 🦍🦍🦍

By the way Mod of War, if you found this comment trolling or off-topic, you can suspend me if you want, I always play by the rules. 💰💰💰❤❤❤❤💣💣💣

jN6Px6q.jpg

Its not a war man, I think we have all been cooked up too much its driving us all crazy. Chill.

I find the technical hardware hurdles and solutions and how they are solved for all consoles extremely interesting so I love new launches because of that.

MS also deserve credit, they have some great ideas and concepts which is what is fun reading. Hopefully we get more info soon from both sides. The cube design and cooling on XSX is great, love stuff like that.

pasterpl

All I know is that Tim Sweeney has been saying that the PS5 I/O enabled the highest detail possible in the PS5.

He's not afraid to let everyone benchmark it come 2021. He said it's for us to see for ourselves.

Until then this is all about endless bickering.

You can doubt Tim Sweeney all you want, that doesn't make the XSeX I/O faster than the PS5. 😂

lol...i didn’t imply anywhere in my post that xbsex io is faster than ps5 one, just stated the fact that xbsex and high end pc are simply more powerful (TFlops), i love how some here are seeing things and read/interpret stuff as some sort of attacks on the favourite plastic box

Its not a war man, I think we have all been cooked up too much its driving us all crazy. Chill.

I find the technical hardware hurdles and solutions and how they are solved for all consoles extremely interesting so I love new launches because of that.

MS also deserve credit, they have some great ideas and concepts which is what is fun reading. Hopefully we get more info soon from both sides. The cube design and cooling on XSX is great, love stuff like that.
Yes just the fact of be able to put a GPU with so many Cus is an incredible fact itself. I am not fan of the
form of the console but in the end I don't care.

I want to see how some its studios will make games like 343,Coalition, Playgrounds Games and Ninja Theory.
I just expect this studios be more risky because yes the last games like Gears 5 was good but I want more.

Btw in the moment if happens when Metroid Prime 4 is released I will ignore both consoles completely like Google does with Stadia. :lollipop_squint_tongue:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
He looks very unbiased

Ir725uO.jpg

yh3C3ij.jpg

Please man just one day without put a fanatic or hater is not so hard.

I can swear to you that it is easy to speak well of XSX without resorting to your copy paste attacks.

Since when is the Xbox division making more money, they are public companies... the numbers are out there and they do not support this at all... what the heck?!?

bitbydeath

Since when is the Xbox division making more money, they are public companies... the numbers are out there and they do not support this at all... what the heck?!?

Honest question, does PlayStation have fanboys that make up things about the competition or literally stalk people or say creepy things like offering shoe shining?

Who if they do? It always seems to be the Xbox camp for some reason that takes things too far from what I’ve seen.

Since these people live in an echo chamber, for example from this account you can see he follows or is followed by many of the famous discord channel
Ill give you a list.
Dukeblueballs
DrKeo
Colbert
c0de
Proven
Shepstal Ed
DocH1X1
Klobrille
Lukastaves
Dictator(Yes hes in that discord now)
FairyEmpire
Doncabesa
Bcatwilly
Brand Sams
Zedox
And more

Man, that Unreal 5 demo keeps on keeping on with the FUD and the meltdowns. Personally, I'm of the opinion that is extremely likely that the Series X can run that very same demo as is. But of course, you have all this talk from Sweeney about what a big deal the I/O capabilities are and then everything turns into a dick measuring contest. And in this particular case Series X's weenie is shorter, so insecurities come afloat, and people tend to make fools of themselves.

Jesus, just be excited about how great is looking, 'cause is gonna look great in every platform, and, if anything, blame your company of choice for not putting out there some jaw dropping next-gen footage out there first.

Anyway, back to the memes with me.

zubairali2

Honest question, does PlayStation have fanboys that make up things about the competition or literally stalk people or say creepy things like offering shoe shining?

Who if they do? It always seems to be the Xbox camp for some reason that takes things too far from what I’ve seen.

well when horizon zero dawn was announced for pc, lot of these ps fans were pissed, sending hermen hulst tweets like resign and death threats. but not to forget the xbox fanboys were shaming ps fans that their exclusive will no longer be exclusive.

its both sides, they're all toxic all together. they're not "fans" they are sick and need help because they care so much about their plastic boxes its unfortunate but i guess we have to deal with this for now until the consoles will come out.

bitbydeath

well when horizon zero dawn was announced for pc, lot of these ps fans were pissed, sending hermen hulst tweets like resign and death threats. but not to forget the xbox fanboys were shaming ps fans that their exclusive will no longer be exclusive.

its both sides, they're all toxic all together. they're not "fans" they are sick and need help because they care so much about their plastic boxes its unfortunate but i guess we have to deal with this for now until the consoles will come out.

Yeah but is there any who remain constant attacking everything and not just single instances?

In my opinion they have also have fanboys who invent things in the end they are people, stupid people but people in the end.

But I saw most people of the xbox side saying 'you console is crap so for this reason my console is better' instead the other side 'we are better than others even when the other is good',
I mean I think is normal one group of them as by mark as loser of all the generations against the other since the beginning and the the head of Xbox well for some reason love to follow
and make retweet this people or even fill its events in E3 with them.

The fanboy of Sony is more similar to the Nintendo, the main argument of both sides is 'my games is the better' while in Xbox varies from saying 'My daddy Microsoft has more money' or
'Xbox has better graphics' (we have to remember this was the first generation since many time where Sony release a better hardware without discussion).

But in the personal I prefer this fanboys than to those of PC which only say 'But you cannot play to 120 hz' because you know spend thousand of dollars for machine which works better than
a budget console is reason for be pride.

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

lol...i didn’t imply anywhere in my post that xbsex io is faster than ps5 one, just stated the fact that xbsex and high end pc are simply more powerful (TFlops), i love how some here are seeing things and read/interpret stuff as some sort of attacks on the favourite plastic box

How are you defining most powerful? Oh, just TF. Well that's pretty disingenuous IMHO. If we say UE4/5 and Unity will be the foundation of most games (and game engines even from PS/Xbox first parties, even if they aren't showing the logo or called UE/unity because of customizations and more expensive licensing deals). In the context of UE5 Lumen/nanite software rendering, it is I/O, ACE and ROP bound - and optimal on unified memory - and in all of those areas the PS5 has at least one massive advantage over PC (ie not 5k workstations) and XsX..

IMHO Unity games typically don't reach the full AAA visuals each generation, and if UE is doing it the way of the UE5 demo Unity will either become a AA engine or will have to add technology to match that.... and if they match it the same 'powerful' definition you are using will again seem like a metric that doesn't deliver what it implies.

Man, that Unreal 5 demo keeps on keeping on with the FUD and the meltdowns. Personally, I'm of the opinion that is extremely likely that the Series X can run that very same demo as is. But of course, you have all this talk from Sweeney about what a big deal the I/O capabilities are and then everything turns into a dick measuring contest. And in this particular case Series X's weenie is shorter, so insecurities come afloat, and people tend to make fools of themselves.

Jesus, just be excited about how great is looking, 'cause is gonna look great in every platform, and, if anything, blame your company of choice for not putting out there some jaw dropping next-gen footage out there first.

Anyway, back to the memes with me.
Be prepared for the bugs of Bethesda created to the speed of SSD :messenger_face_screaming: or how FIFA 2022 will looks almost equals to FIFA 2027.

zubairali2

Yeah but is there any who remain constant attacking everything and not just single instances?

im sure there are the likes of them out there however people like timdog and colt to me seem like the main ones starting up shit, just acting like the typical "i fucked ur mom" on xbox live kind of thing. they seem to find very very little things that no matter what try their best to make playstation look as bad as possible. i never really comment on these kind of things but as an owner of both system and as someone who loves just playing games, it annoys me that people like this go out of their way to look like a complete moron on internet. just hoping both fanbases will come to their senses once these consoles are released.

edit: sorry if there's mistakes english isnt my first language

Last edited:

xacto

"Sony president and CEO Kenichiro Yoshida released the hype engines on the PlayStation 5, where he recently said that the PS5 will be "100 times faster" than the PS4. Yoshida hyped the PlayStation 5 up during Sony's recent corporate marketing strategy meeting, where he said that the PS5 is "100 times faster" than the PS4.

Yoshida continued: "In order to further enhance the sense of immersion in games, we expect to improve not just the resolution, but the speed of games. For example, through a custom‐designed high‐speed SSD, we plan to realize game data processing speeds that are approximately 100 times faster than PS4".

He added: "Game load times should be much shorter, and players should be able to move through immense game worlds in almost an instant".

I am waiting for a random Chinese engineer to swoop in and tell Yoshida his "custom-designed high-speed SSD" is found in some laptop, lying around in their office, somewhere.

yewles1

Dude... You DO know that running these demos in the editor is done without all the high end features, etc. turned on, right? You are seriously wanting us to believe that the EXACT SAME demo with the EXACT SAME resources and quality will run on a LAPTOP graphics card better than the PS5?

Do you see how this makes you seem.....less than credible with your knowledge? And you're twisting a fucking GOOGLE TRANSLATE to what you WANT it to be...even less credible. Bottom line, we don't know anything other than what Epic said officially. I'll take an officer of the company's word over some bumfuck Egypt engineer who the officer of the company doesn't even know, any day. Especially since you have people trying to pull native Chinese translations out of their ass to fit their own personal agendas. This is beyond stupid.

People like you are very likely to have some serious butthurt issues once real comparisons of both these machines come out. It's been said over and over in this thread...in just the GPU power arena the difference this time around is far less than it was for the PS4 and Xbox One and nobody could tell the differences THERE without Digital Foundry's help! You think there's somehow going to be a bigger difference now? Hint: there will be a very noticeable difference, but it's going to be around the SSD and I/O. Not the graphics on the games. Most likely. But again, we have to see direct comparisons. Right now that UE5 demo looks by far to be the most "next gen" thing we've seen for EITHER console. I don't expect things to stay that way, certainly. But it is what it is today.

All this bullshit about this Chinese video that was playing a video file. FFS!

I guess I shouldn't be so rough on people though. Let people dream whatever they want to dream. Just don't expect the rest of us to suffer the same delusions. Until some real facts and proof are available to support this BS, it remains....BS.
Can you imagine the potential dissatisfaction in these guys if game comparisons don't go their way? How many people are still expecting PS5 games to be 1080p while XSX versions are full 4K? I mourn their scarred psyches...

I am really triggered as equally by the terms "Sony pony/brony" and "xbots" - I find them really demeaning. I have Playstation friends and Xbox friends, and maybe I was lucky, but none of these people are "console warring".

But what I've seen in the past few months, yeah, that's some serious PTSD, mate.
I mean, I can understand that some people on the Xbox side of things are eager to exact "revenge" on PS fans because they've had kind of a tough gen (and that's kind of stupid in itself, 'cause they should care about having fun with their machines, not how many other people have it, but I guess we're all tribal in one sense of another).

But at the end of the day, acting like that only makes you look stupid, and make the flames higher. Ultimately is sad, 'cause when I think of gaming, I think of community, I think of friends, I think of fun, and all this warring is counterproductive towards those values. I love having a bit of debate, some little bit heated chit-chat about technical specs, and why someone thinks this is better or the other is better, but never being disrespectful, or an asshole. Or a straight up liar. That's just not cool at all.

Vae_Victis

Banned
There you go.

'not unplayable' is just a mistranslation of playable.

It says its now playable in the editor on our notebooks at 40 fps. This is what over 5 independent native translators translated accross several forums (Reddit, Era, Beyond3d).
Its not perfect. so instead of fps you get 'people'. But you see what the native translators translated. Just run it a few times.
Dude FFS just drop it... this is legit painful to watch...

"Tim deleted the tweet where he said the demo on PC was a video!"

- No he didn't. Here it is.

"But here is the demo running!"

- It's an .mp4 being played.

"But they are talking about how it can run on PC!"

- Nobody ever said the engine can't run on PC, or any other platform. That's not the point.

"But if you play the video on your PC and record it with your phone and then put the text into Google Translate from Chinese to English it says that the demo runs better on PC than on PS5!"

- I tried, all I'm getting is broken gibberish.

"But people elsewhere translated it and they say it can run in the editor on the laptop!"

- We've been over this. It's a MULTI-PLATFORM engine. THAT'S NOT THE POINT.

"B-but if you combine my arbitrary theories with the broken gibberish you got from Google translate earlier and re-interpret it all to mean what I think it means, then I'm right!"

Seriously, why are you so invested in this weird, tortuous delusion that doesn't really lead anywhere to begin with?

xacto

I mean, I can understand that some people on the Xbox side of things are eager to exact "revenge" on PS fans because they've had kind of a tough gen (and that's kind of stupid in itself, 'cause they should care about having fun with their machines, not how many other people have it, but I guess we're all tribal in one sense of another).

But at the end of the day, acting like that only makes you look stupid, and make the flames higher. Ultimately is sad, 'cause when I think of gaming, I think of community, I think of friends, I think of fun, and all this warring is counterproductive towards those values. I love having a bit of debate, some little bit heated chit-chat about technical specs, and why someone thinks this is better or the other is better, but never being disrespectful, or an asshole. Or a straight up liar. That's just not cool at all.

Honestly, unless you're a freaking shareholder, and a big one at that, you should not really care if Microsoft's plastic box sells more or less than Sony's plastic box.

As you said, all I want is the PS5 is announced, released, and it's game over for me, I will have fun with my console of choice. I couldn't care less who wins this generation, or if my neighbor is a Sony pony or an Xbot, I will be having my cake and eat it too. End of story.

pawel86ck

Banned
Let them dream 😉😅. Before they were saying TFLOPs are the most important thing and 12-13 TF PS5 was expected, but when they lost TFLOPS battle their focus now has shifted to SSD.

I/O improvement is important and PS5 SSD is faster, but I'm not even so sure if SSD advantage can be used in a meaningful way. We know for a fact 9 GB/s is still not nearly as fast as RAM, therefore GPU will not use SSD data transfer in real time, because then GPU would be extremely bottlenecked. Such data can be used only for streaming and I have my doubts developers will be able to use 9 GB/s transfer speed with limited RAM amount sony went for.

But lets assume somehow UE5 is using 9 GB/s transfer speed from PS5 SSD. Can we really expect developers will use such ultra quality assets everywhere in their games (this small UE5 tech demo was probably around 100 GB)? I expect many developers will rather want to keep their games sizes around 100 GB, and mamy will probably also aim for better performance, so they will be forced to reduce the level of details anyway. Even if they reduce the level of detail slightly who will notice pixel size imperfections in geometry? Maybe DF with their 400% magnification loupe, but not not normal gamers.

I will be not surpised if even XSX SSD will be more than enough for 12 TF GPU and limited game sizes. In fact I expect with 2 TF advantage (it's like entire PS4!) XSX multiplatforms will look and run better, because resolution and performance boost will be more noticeable than a little bit better assets.

Honestly, unless you're a freaking shareholder, and a big one at that, you should not really care if Microsoft's plastic box sells more or less than Sony's plastic box.

As you said, all I want is the PS5 is announced, released, and it's game over for me, I will have fun with my console of choice. I couldn't care less who wins this generation, or if my neighbor is a Sony pony or an Xbot, I will be having my cake and eat it too. End of story.
I feel exactly the same way. I am primarily a PS guy, I've been gaming on that platform for 24 years, and I pretty much grew with it (I'm 29), but I welcome competition, makes all companies be ready and on their toes, and hell, I've owned all the Xbox machines as well, because at the end of the day, it's all about games and fun, and Xbox has definitely given me that too. So yeah, just buy whatever you think you're gonna enjoy, and enjoy it. That's a good rule.

Hyphen

LG C9 doesn't support 4K@120Hz as has been exposed recently...

Do you have a link to this 'exposure' as the rtings site states that they have not tested the C9 for 4K@120Hz.
Many thanks.

I feel exactly the same way. I am primarily a PS guy, I've been gaming on that platform for 24 years, and I pretty much grew with it (I'm 29), but I welcome competition, makes all companies be ready and on their toes, and hell, I've owned all the Xbox machines as well, because at the end of the day, it's all about games and fun, and Xbox has definitely given me that too. So yeah, just buy whatever you think you're gonna enjoy, and enjoy it. That's a good rule.
TF war instead of crossplay generalisation. Let me choose my platform for exclusivities and give me the opportunity to play with my friends on another one.
Sorry for my bad english.

LED Guy?

Banned
Your thinking about the wrong components, GPUs scale, CPUs dont so much.

The concept has NOTHING to do with GPU scaling.

So, is the game written for a Zen 2 or a Jaguar.

Games written for Ps4 / XB1 will of course run easily upscaled on the new consoles.

Games written for new consoles CPU power will not run on the current gen toasters.

Making games cross gen is limiting enemy numbers, physics and game design to toaster logic.

Jaguar games need to die already.
Exactly, this is what I’ve been saying and parroting for the longest, the SSDs/CPUs/RAM in those next-gen consoles are really way ahead and they will crate radical differences from this generation of games.

Does nobody on gaf speak Chinese? I woulda thought with how many people there are there’s be at least one who could translate it directly for us. It’s crazy how this event in China is basically like it took place in another world, even Tim seemed to have no idea it happened until after the fact.

There was a Chinese speaker on the guru3D forums that said the translations he’d seen were misleading and lost the context of what was being said. The game running in editor and the frame rate quoted referred to a particular scene in the cave they’d just looked at, not an average for the demo.
Sweeney also said the 40FPS isn’t a comparison of hardware, as PS5 was vsync’d to a solid 30Hz and would go much higher in certain scenes.
The immediate context before the Chinese guy is talking about IO requirements, he’s also talking about scaling things down, in resolution, triangles per pixel and some other stuff.
What has been said might offer some clues, but to assert that it meant a laptop ran the entire demo at the same quality settings at an average or locked 40FPS is nonsense.

bitbydeath

im sure there are the likes of them out there however people like timdog and colt to me seem like the main ones starting up shit, just acting like the typical "i fucked ur mom" on xbox live kind of thing. they seem to find very very little things that no matter what try their best to make playstation look as bad as possible. i never really comment on these kind of things but as an owner of both system and as someone who loves just playing games, it annoys me that people like this go out of their way to look like a complete moron on internet. just hoping both fanbases will come to their senses once these consoles are released.

edit: sorry if there's mistakes english isnt my first language

Yeah, I don’t know why they can’t be just excited for the games. It comes off as though they don’t even like Xbox but rather the confrontation.

FranXico

There was a Chinese speaker on the guru3D forums that said the translations he’d seen were misleading and lost the context of what was being said. The game running in editor and the frame rate quoted referred to a particular scene in the cave they’d just looked at, not an average for the demo.
Sweeney also said the 40FPS isn’t a comparison of hardware, as PS5 was vsync’d to a solid 30Hz and would go much higher in certain scenes.
The immediate context before the Chinese guy is talking about IO requirements, he’s also talking about scaling things down, in resolution, triangles per pixel and some other stuff.
What has been said might offer some clues, but to assert that it meant a laptop ran the entire demo at the same quality settings at an average or locked 40FPS is nonsense.
This has indeed been refuted over and over again. It's time for the insanity to end here.

Last edited:
I/O improvement is important and PS5 SSD is faster, but I'm not even so sure if SSD advantage can be used in a meaningful way.

[...]

But lets assume somehow UE5 is using 9 GB/s transfer speed from PS5 SSD. Can we really expect developers will use such ultra quality assets everywhere in their games (this small UE5 tech demo was probably around 100 GB)?
[...]

These are the two points I find most interesting to think about.
Sony claim the IO speed they’ve put money and die space into can be used in a meaningful way and opens up a new way to design games in the first place.
As gamers it can sound pointlessly excessive—especially if we’re hoping it is—but then the implication of that being true is that after years of talking with Epic and others about future rendering and IO technology for gaming, Sony’s console (which is always a compromised balance) puts IO front and centre, where just throwing in pretty standard NVMe PC spec IO would have been far cheaper and simpler, saving money and die space to pack in way more CUs and get an easy “win” on the TF number.

It’s not enough to just say that it can’t be used in a meaningful way when talking about something as tightly budgeted and integrated as a console. To say it’s excessive is to say Sony massively fucked up and were completely mistaken in their analysis of what is needed.
That’s the bit I find most difficult to just accept, but if true, the most significant story of this entire thing.
There are people here (not necessarily yourself) that seem convinced the faster IO won’t do anything and that NVMe is enough, or more than enough. Why did Sony mistakenly strongly feel otherwise?

On your second point, I think game studios will be very happy if they don’t need to make multiple versions of everything they make, and spend time profiling and tuning LODs if that same time and effort could instead be put into more assets, or more world detail, or even something more ambitious.
The scope of a game isn’t limited by what the developers are able to do, but how much time and money they can commit to a single game. Anything that saves time in an area that doesn’t add anything to the game but just helps it to run and look as they need it to will be time spent on game mechanics and other interesting stuff.
That’s the immediate benefit I can imagine from fast IO being paired with a single source asset made once.

These are the two points I find most interesting to think about.
Sony claim the IO speed they’ve put money and die space into can be used in a meaningful way and opens up a new way to design games in the first place.
As gamers it can sound pointlessly excessive—especially if we’re hoping it is—but then the implication of that being true is that after years of talking with Epic and others about future rendering and IO technology for gaming, Sony’s console (which is always a compromised balance) puts IO front and centre, where just throwing in pretty standard NVMe PC spec IO would have been far cheaper and simpler, saving money and die space to pack in way more CUs and get an easy “win” on the TF number.

It’s not enough to just say that it can’t be used in a meaningful way when talking about something as tightly budgeted and integrated as a console. To say it’s excessive is to say Sony massively fucked up and were completely mistaken in their analysis of what is needed.
That’s the bit I find most difficult to just accept, but if true, the most significant story of this entire thing.
There are people here (not necessarily yourself) that seem convinced the faster IO won’t do anything and that NVMe is enough, or more than enough. Why did Sony mistakenly strongly feel otherwise?

On your second point, I think game studios will be very happy if they don’t need to make multiple versions of everything they make, and spend time profiling and tuning LODs if that same time and effort could instead be put into more assets, or more world detail, or even something more ambitious.
The scope of a game isn’t limited by what the developers are able to do, but how much time and money they can commit to a single game. Anything that saves time in an area that doesn’t add anything to the game but just helps it to run and look as they need it to will be time spent on game mechanics and other interesting stuff.
That’s the immediate benefit I can imagine from fast IO being paired with a single source asset made once.
I think that second point you're referring to is being massively overlooked, and it's a pretty crucial one. Making developers' life easier will result on them being able to focus more in gameplay, and game mechanics, and having more time to rethink game design itself. And that can give some interesting results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom