• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lng0004

It's just marketing and PR. They delayed it for virtue signalling and (like when they avoid E3 or big game releases to make sure that other big news don't affect their visibility.

If they would really help they could have made the event, to include a nice related message at the start showing their support and announcing that they were going to help beyond a tweet, with something meaningful like announcing a big donation to an organization that fights against racism, a charity to fund the health & education related costs of many poor families or something like that.

But no, instead of doing something meaningful they just delayed a pre-recorded online event and made some copy pasted tweets like many other big multinational corporations with people working for them with almost slave level working conditions.

Let's hope the riots stop soon and they also make the event soon, because I can't wait. My hype is over 9000.
Man, you are part of the problem. And let's leave it at that.

Last edited:
Indeed. Plus the Japanese are extremely superstitious. This would have been bad karma.

If we get to wholesale call Japanese people extremely superstitious, then we get to call Americans racist with what's going on right now. In my experience Japanese people aren't at all superstitious, and you're much more likely to encounter an American that believes in some weird superstition or conspiracy theory.

People are basically the same everywhere, and more than that, corporate entities aren't people and don't have emotions. If they are successful and have persisted a long time it's because they are steered by data and reason, not superstition and feelings.
You'd have to be somewhere on the spectrum to not realise how out of touch with reality and humanity it would be for an entertainment company to have its biggest celebratory marketing campaign event on the day of a funeral that sparked civil unrest in one of their biggest markets.

ksdixon

But but my RTX 2080 TI
giphy.gif

That's really weird, why is she jiggling her hands like that? (presuming Firefox isn't making the gif glitch-out).

She's giving me PTSD of those dancing hamster toys from the 90s.

Radical_3d

That’s fair. I think They still put out some good videos, but the thumbnails do suck. Unfortunately on YT you just are straight up going to make more money doing those type of thumbnails. Hate the game IMO, not the player
I agree. They have some good vids when Apple or a screen are not involved.

Fordino

New 4chan/reddit rumor says PS5 event now on June 12th.

An 8 day delay is a joke?

On one hand it's barely worth the delay in the first place, given the adverts already started on ESPN for the 4th.

On the other what can be fixed in 8 days that doesn't require a longer delay?

Seems like Sony just creating a future shit show for themselves when they get #calledout for "going back on" their #support.
The Last of Us 2 review embargo lifts on the 12th, I’m sure Sony wouldn’t want the PS5 reveal to interfere with all the hype and excitement from those reviews.

I’m guessing they’ll aim for next Tuesday, they need to get it out soon before it leaks from a production line, and also so it doesn’t interfere with featured publishers plans.

Tim isn't some random suit who doesn't know the technical details behind these things. Its normal that he's going to own alot of arm chair developers.

Game engine developers are a tier above any game designer or game developer. It's the difference between people that use a 5-axis CNC machine to make some cool widget people want, and the people that designed the 5-axis CNC machine in the first place.

Game engine developers know exactly what they can and can't do with the hardware they're programming for. They're the people making the compromises and hacks to iron out the weaknesses in the hardware. They're the people making the low-level tools that game developers will then leverage to make their games, without ever really knowing how it all works underneath.

Engine developers talk to hardware to create game engines, and game developers talk to game engines to make games. Game designers talk to game developers to design games. It matters who's doing the talking.
Cerny and Sweeney aren't great at creating popular games, but they're both seasoned in game engine design and architecture. Same for people like Carmack.

Game engine developers are a tier above any game designer or game developer. It's the difference between people that use a 5-axis CNC machine to make some cool widget people want, and the people that designed the 5-axis CNC machine in the first place.

Game engine developers know exactly what they can and can't do with the hardware they're programming for. They're the people making the compromises and hacks to iron out the weaknesses in the hardware. They're the people making the low-level tools that game developers will then leverage to make their games, without ever really knowing how it all works underneath.

Engine developers talk to hardware to create game engines, and game developers talk to game engines to make games. Game designers talk to game developers to design games. It matters who's doing the talking.
Cerny and Sweeney aren't great at creating popular games, but they're both seasoned in game engine design and architecture. Same for people like Carmack.

Definitely and it's why I listen to these people because they are alot more knowledgeable than most people. People really should pay attention to them more instead of youtubers like Dealer Gaming for example.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
How's the quality of PlayStation's Twitch streams compared to their YouTube streams?

I've been watching their YT streams on my LG C7 and they look abysmal with 1080p and a low bitrate. But the high bitrate 4K version they upload after looks exceptional. Would be nice to have a higher quality when watching live..

1080p is ancient, it should be dropped. If someone is too attached to it he can always choose it. All Sony accounts should upload 4k-8K content, they got alpha and CeniAlta under their sleeves, along with Bravia.

Last edited:
New 4chan/reddit rumor says PS5 event now on June 12th.

An 8 day delay is a joke?

On one hand it's barely worth the delay in the first place, given the adverts already started on ESPN for the 4th.

On the other what can be fixed in 8 days that doesn't require a longer delay?

Seems like Sony just creating a future shit show for themselves when they get #calledout for "going back on" their #support.
Why do people keep quoting 4chan and fucking Reddit of all places when it comes to any news regarding next gen?

Games Dean

I'm also a little concerned that EVERYTHING turns into some racial issue. George Floyd's death is a tragedy, but was it a racially motivated one? It's more of a factor with having people in positions of public authority that have been granted a right to use deadly force, and some will use more liberties than others when employing a given amount of force. To me, the issue is police brutality and has nothing to do with race.

There's plenty of cases of police brutality against all races of people. Yet every time something happens against the black community is spirals into a media circus which leads to rioting, looting, etc. The amount of violence caused by blacks against their own race is a FAR bigger problem and issue than the one of police brutality in general, let alone police brutality that is proven to be racially motivated.
I completely disagree with you, but this isn't the thread for this. Lets try to keep it next-gen focused.

Games Dean

Someone just retweeted the PlayStation tweet onto my timeline and it has almost 400k likes, wow. I don't know what PS tweet has had the most interaction but that has to be up there.

bitbydeath

It just occurred that the PS5 is CPU Crazy, this can't be cheap.

1. The Actual CPU
x86-64-AMD Ryzen™ “Zen 2”
8 Cores / 16 Threads
Variable frequency, up to 3.5 GHz

2. I/O Throughput
In terms of performance that custom decompressor equates to nine of our Zen two cores.
To send the data coming off of the SSD this equates to another Zen two core or two

3. Cell 2.0/Tempest
A unit with roughly the same sim power and bandwidth as all eight Jaguar cores in the PlayStation 4 (Which is roughly the same as the PS3 Cell).

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Dude why? What am I supposed to do now?
i know right. this thread has not been good for my health. you got anne hathaway crossing her godly legs. you have posters linking half nude gifs of mark cerny's hot daughter. then dropping hints about her playboy videos. and now dropping this pic in the middle of the day while we are trying to pretend to work from home.

a man can only take so much. i got kidz.
I suspect this is a big reason why the PS5 is 36 CUs. All that other logic is taking up a huge chunk of real estate.

Will be interesting to see how the chip size compares to XSX, they could be a lot closer than people suspect.

Jim Ryan hinted at this being an expensive $499 console. if sony comes in at the same pricepoint as MS while offering less than 2 tflops, they are gonna look real bad. they better knock this reveal out of the park but somehow i doubt that after all their fuckups this year.

i know right. this thread has not been good for my health. you got anne hathaway crossing her godly legs. you have posters linking half nude gifs of mark cerny's hot daughter. then dropping hints about her playboy videos. and now dropping this pic in the middle of the day while we are trying to pretend to work from home.

a man can only take so much. i got kidz.

Jim Ryan hinted at this being an expensive $499 console. if sony comes in at the same pricepoint as MS while offering less than 2 tflops, they are gonna look real bad. they better knock this reveal out of the park but somehow i doubt that after all their fuckups this year.

I suspect they will be the same price. Microsoft definitely has an easier time marketing the power of its console, that's for sure. I think Cerny definitely made the right choices though and that's why we're hearing so much praise like "PS5 is the best architected console of all time". You aren't hearing that about the XSX. Simple matter is that 18% difference in GPU speeds is meaningless by itself. Cerny really took the extra mile to address all other areas of bottlenecks on the console and it very likely is a dream to develop on. I think that will be ultimately reflected in better looking games, even if the raw GPU compute is a little bit less. Hell, he even went pretty deep into things like Audio, and the controller looks like a massive improvement. So yeah, PS5 is definitely a premium console for sure. I think less corners were cut compared to PS4 or Pro.

Btw...Mark Cerny has a hot daughter? Wut...pics?

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Btw...Mark Cerny has a hot daughter? Wut...pics?
lol it was a joke. last night someone posted a gif of a hot chick who popped up when they googled mark cerny. turns out her name is amanda cerny and she was a playboy model. this thread has been super thirsty since then.

tenor.gif

I suspect they will be the same price. Microsoft definitely has an easier time marketing the power of its console, that's for sure. I think Cerny definitely made the right choices though and that's why we're hearing so much praise like "PS5 is the best architected console of all time". You aren't hearing that about the XSX. Simple matter is that 18% difference in GPU speeds is meaningless by itself. Cerny really took the extra mile to address all other areas of bottlenecks on the console and it very likely is a dream to develop on. I think that will be ultimately reflected in better looking games, even if the raw GPU compute is a little bit less. Hell, he even went pretty deep into things like Audio, and the controller looks like a massive improvement. So yeah, PS5 is definitely a premium console for sure. I think less corners were cut compared to PS4 or Pro.
right. thats why i said they need to have a big show. a show that blows minds and shows whats possible despite the tflops gap. but they have been fucking up for months now, delaying this thing over and over again and now they have found themselves in an even worse position than the one at the start of the covid-19 crisis in march.

the fact that they had the UE5 demo ready in march and didnt show it after cerny's reveal is bizarre to say the least. i have no faith in their marketing department.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom