• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trying to undo? He ran down the stairs to pick up an expensive raid card for 8x m2 nvmes to win an argument over stream with Tim Sweeney only to be doing it one more time (win an argum.) in his latest Raid Liquid SSD for $12,000.

And then the Intel "d#ck succulence" video, omitting Intel´s "backstory OEM" out of the blue after shitting on´em for months.

HE chooses too well his words. He plays the game too well. Remember when he whined for 2h? about leaving da youtubz game, he had enuff, he couldnt anymore? YEAH, he forgot that within 8h.

I also remember him shilling some KickStarter vaporware. He's not that knowledgeable. His passion is mostly in himself, his channel and making videos.

pawel86ck

Banned
Ive seen many „suggestions”. Personally i think it wasn’t more than 10 GB, and you can have 2 hours more od that demo using same assets over and over in different manner. Games Will grow bigger.
Do you really think they would need PS5 I/O for such small tech demo?

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
10 GB perfectly compressed could be even 40 GB decompressed
If you only have 10GB of total assets... why would you NEED 5.5GB/second of IO?

Compression doesn't change the math of whether or not something NEEEDS that level of i/o, and in fact higher compression should relieve the need for such high I/O.

Makes no sense. If that demo needed 5.5GB/second of IO... then that demo at some point needed a large amount of data to render the current view and very quickly needed to swap out GB of more compressed data (say 1.5GB in a quarter second.)

Last edited:

SSfox

Let's play a game, when do you think Sony will give the new date, and what's gonna be the new date?

I'd say: New date announcement for next Friday, and the new date event will be set as 12th June.

dr guildo

There it is. Just like the Scorn developer said, the difference won't be as big as it seems. Games can't be this detailed because they would be too large. Since they are smaller, you don't need to feed that much data to the GPU, hence you won't need such a fast SSD. Or am I missing something? Honest question.

Are those kinds of stuff :

Swapping from a normal sized world to a very very tiny one with the same assets fidelity
giphy.gif

244b48e3fee0feb3ba7460708f91e40e.gif

Teleporting from a dimension to another in a blink of an eye with same assets fidelity
tenor.gif

possible on Xbox Series X without compromise ?

Honest question

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Hey guys, today our Brazilian TimDog. Probably @ethomaz @~Fake knows him (He is famous in console community even in PC too), has been down by Microsoft.

Xbox mil grau
"even Microsoft doesn't like me, f*ck"

Xbox BR
"The content of the Mil Grau account does not reflect our fundamental values of respect, diversity and inclusion. We already demand the immediate removal of our brand from its channels, through social media companies."

I think Xbox would be in better hands if they put that official BR as the head of Xbox.

Thirty7ven

Banned
There it is. Just like the Scorn developer said, the difference won't be as big as it seems. Games can't be this detailed because they would be too large. Since they are smaller, you don't need to feed that much data to the GPU, hence you won't need such a fast SSD. Or am I missing something? Honest question.

You’re hitting all the beats but you should’ve finished with “Microsoft Velocity Architecture was built with storage limitations in mind. They hit the sweetspot”

Would’ve gotten a jackpot if ya did.

marvifrom

ATDe5bp.png

Does anyone foresee a third party adapter that circumvents M$ proprietary Expansion cards in favor of an adapter that you can install your own M.2 ssd instead? I really think M$ approach is very anti-consumer.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
This account is what the worst exists in the alt right.
The guy is a joke.
TimDog, Crapgamer, Dealer, etc are good boys compared with what this guy posts.

MS should be ashamed to partnership and sending gifts to him in the past lol
He lose a lot of law suit to other news sites here in Brasil.

BTW Era is now fully focused in him right now: https://www.resetera.com/threads/er...il-grau-forced-to-remove-xbox-branding.88386/

Yeap I know he is Brazilian just like me :(

You always need dumb people to laugh at, having only smart people can be boring.

Are those kinds of stuff :

Swapping from a normal sized world to a very very tiny one with the same assets fidelity
giphy.gif

244b48e3fee0feb3ba7460708f91e40e.gif

Teleporting from a dimension to another in a blink of an eye with same assets fidelity
tenor.gif

possible on Xbox Series X without compromise ?

Honest question

The idea itself is nothing new, but is usually done by having where you can go to ready in RAM. Ultra fast IO means you could do this without the game ever needing to expect it by having it resident in RAM. How long it would take to travel would depend on how detailed the view you're loading in. How fast that transition if not relying on RAM would be entirely IO bottlenecked.

Also, Titanfall 2 campaign is fantastic, varied and doesn't drag on. Highly recommended.

EDIT: Jesus the video I linked really doesn't do it justice. The player isn't very good.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
If you only have 10GB of total assets... why would you NEED 5.5GB/second of IO?

Compression doesn't change the math of whether or not something NEEEDS that level of i/o, and in fact higher compression should relieve the need for such high I/O.

Makes no sense. If that demo needed 5.5GB/second of IO... then that demo at some point needed a large amount of data to render the current view and very quickly needed to swap out GB of more compressed data (say 1.5GB in a quarter second.)

Why do people keep focusing on total amounts of data?

This is about speed. It’s about latency. It’s about how fast it flies from SSD to GPU to screen.

All this math about “but if a game needs to stream 5.5GB/s of unique data then the whole game will be three terabytes” is just completely missing the point.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

The idea itself is nothing new, but is usually done by having where you can go to ready in RAM. Ultra fast IO means you could do this without the game ever needing to expect it by having it resident in RAM. How long it would take to travel would depend on how detailed the view you're loading in. How fast that transition if not relying on RAM would be entirely IO bottlenecked.

Also, Titanfall 2 campaign is fantastic, varied and doesn't drag on. Highly recommended.

Wow, man. Titanfall 2 sound quality is great, the 3D feel is great. What is waiting for us in the PS5! I was enjoying the SRAM/DRAM talk between you and P psorcerer . It was my question first, and enjoyed every bit of your debates although I'm still confused as you guys still seem to have different view angles to the matter.

Andodalf

Banned
Memes aside, it would be nice to see a talk between him and Linus.

It would be. When someone who’s very tech savvy can’t see how things are better your solution, you have at the least a communication issue. Actually talking to him would be positive if they have anything good to say.

Rn things have basically gone

T- “This SSD lets us do things you’ve never seen before”

L- “But we already have extreme SSDs that seem even crazier and they do nothing for gaming”

T- “You’re dumb”

L- “Please explain it”

T- “No.”

it might be possible next gen if devs stick with linear game worlds. the order looks cgi as fuck, and its because of the post processing giving it a cg look.

Eqpy.gif

12791066865_74c620ee50_o.gif

FearlessIcyFattaileddunnart-size_restricted.gif

to me, a cgi image has this thickness to it that realtime games lack. it has to do with chromatic abberation, deffered lighting and this dense thick fog and other post processing effects that in a way dilute the image. its why rain levels look so good.
The point of the ssd is that you can have graphics in open world that are as good as linear games because you are streaming assets continuously

Last edited:
The point of the ssd is that you can have graphics in open world that are as good as linear games because you are streaming assets continuously
I know this aspect by heart but still there is the issue of pouring over hours upon hours just to author that world and perfect it for the single player games with corridor designs.
I know SSD on PS5 will unlock amazing possibilities but still it is pretty intensive process and procedurally generating things like in the open world games is not up to par with corridor design. Well maybe that was true up until now, and the game completely changes for some studios, we will see.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
You’re hitting all the beats but you should’ve finished with “Microsoft Velocity Architecture was built with storage limitations in mind. They hit the sweetspot”

Would’ve gotten a jackpot if ya did.
I was thinking about saying that it seems Microsoft might have created the more balanced system, but didn't want to draw too much attention away from the fact that Epic has said that you'll never have a game with this type of fidelity because they would be too big. So the chance is high that the PS5 SSD speed will only be seen in loading times when comparing with the XSX.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Right. But assets are only part of the equation. It's those post processing effects that add the thickness to the image that makes thing look cgi. Those will still need to be rendered by the gpu.

Wow, man. Titanfall 2 sound quality is great, the 3D feel is great. What is waiting for us in the PS5! I was enjoying the SRAM/DRAM talk between you and P psorcerer . It was my question first, and enjoyed every bit of your debates although I'm still confused as you guys still seem to have different view angles to the matter.

He was talking entirely about a patent when referring to the SRAM, I was talking about how it was depicted in Cerny's slides. That is where most of the confusion was.

I am now reading the patent and it so far is exactly as I said.

The entire first half of it so far is describing exactly the kind of system I was talking about. The mapping between logical addresses that the game and PS5 CPU uses, and the actual physical addresses of the flash memory that the controller is responsible for.

In the patent this is referred to exactly as logical and physical addresses, with the SSD controller consisting precisely of a flash controller that deals in physical addresses, a host controller that deals in logical addresses from the host (CPU/Game), and a fast pool of RAM used by both to store the address conversion table that connects the two.

It is so far nothing like as described by P psorcerer and is working exactly as it does on PC at the level of the SSD controller, which is all I was ever talking about. The host does not directly address the physical flash storage address range.

Usually there is an amount of DRAM built into high end SSD controllers for not just caching writes to improve write performance, but for keeping this mapping table very close to the SSD controller. It's not on chip because that's not how DRAM works. DRAM is also expensive, but traditionally you need 1 GB of it for every 1 TB of storage, just to keep that mapping table resident.

You need to keep that mapping table resident and close to reduce latency, which directly affects random read performance. Something that will be common in consoles now they're using SSD and don't want to duplicate data.

DRAMless SSDs in PCs were designed for things like laptops where you want to use less energy (DRAM costs energy), and also save costs in manufacturing. Not only do they suffer in write performance, they also suffer in random read performance, as demonstrated in the bench-marking article I linked.

Now what's interesting, and what I didn't realise until I started reading this patent, is that Sony has been experimenting with coarser mapping tables, and having them completely or partially resident not just in SSD controller DRAM, but on-chip itself in SRAM, for even better latency improvements.

The patent is generic enough in scope in that it may or may not relate to PS5. The SRAM as shown in Cerny's slide is clearly outside of the SSD controller, so that isn't it, but there's still a chance PS5's SSD controller is using this technology, which is a step above even a DRAM equipped SSD in latency.

The idea that an SSD would keep its flash mapping table resident in system RAM is nonsense.

Still going through the patent and it's extremely interesting so far. Considering who provided the link to it, it's unsual they didn't seem to understand the point I was making, which is made exactly in the opening summary of the patent.

tl;dr "DRAMless SSDs" don't just suffer from poor write speeds, but also random read performance. They are budget mobile devices. Random read will be leveraged by SSD equipped consoles to get rid of data duplication. From the patent provided and the concerns it lays out in the opening, it's unlikely Sony would have opted for a "DRAMless SSD" solution, and they may have even gone a step further and be using a pool of SRAM in the SSD controller itself to further reduce latency over DRAM equipped SSDs.

EDIT: The idea seems to be that the controller can load in different complete or partial mapping tables saved in flash depending on what it's doing, hence it can get away with a small but ultra fast SRAM pool, rather than a large and slightly more distant (but still before the main SoC) DRAM pool.
As game packages are basically copied from Blu-ray into flash and aren't rewritten to, it could be that a mapping table related to the game package gets loaded into that pool. Maybe it gets sent an address and an offset to get something more specific. Still reading. The point is it doesn't need the entire 825 GB mapping table to fit into a smaller SRAM pool if the only random reads likely to be happening relate to an area that isn't really ever changing.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
TLDR

Tittle
:

"Epic Games had to rewrite parts of Unreal Engine to keep up with the PS5’s SSD " - has XSX/PC same SSD ? - NO :messenger_beaming:

Inside Article
:

a) “The ability to stream in content at extreme speeds enables developers to create denser and more detailed environments, changing how we think about streaming content. It’s so impactful that we’verewritten our core I/O subsystems for Unreal Engine with the PlayStation 5 in mind,” has XSX/PC same I/O - :messenger_beaming:

b)“The PlayStation 5 provides a huge leap in both computing and graphics performance, but its*storage architecture is also truly special,” has XSX/PC same I/O - NO:messenger_beaming:

c) " While it’s true that both Xbox Series X and PS5 have NVMe SSDs, Sony took things furtherby boosting the transfer speeds well beyond what’s possible on even the most expensive consumer-grade products available today, and certainly faster then Xbox Series X."

Wonderful summary, yet they'll all act blind.🤷‍♂️

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Why do people keep focusing on total amounts of data?

This is about speed. It’s about latency. It’s about how fast it flies from SSD to GPU to screen.

All this math about “but if a game needs to stream 5.5GB/s of unique data then the whole game will be three terabytes” is just completely missing the point.

Uhhh... 5.5GB/s is not a measure of latency.

Being able to seek the data quickly is also awesome and a huge benefit with SSD; but the I/O benefits that increase DETAIL levels are about speed.

jose4gg

I want to ask a question regarding the XSX console, there are any document, post, or youtube video talking about their RAM approach, this is the second time they go with a different set up than PS, now they have 10GB going at a far better 560 GB/s and 6 GB going at 336 GB/s, I want to know, is there any concerns or high expectations with this?

Lol at thinking a billionaire and industry icon like Sweeney is going to lower himself and defacto elevate a snake oil salesman and master-race warrior like Linus after the guy made a video attempting to make a mockery of him. Sweeney vs. Linus, hype!!! Now let me count that wad of cash as an influx of new subscribers come in....

Lol really? A firm twitter response is the best he's gonna get - which he did - out of courtesy.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
He was talking entirely about a patent when referring to the SRAM, I was talking about how it was depicted in Cerny's slides. That is where most of the confusion was.

I am now reading the patent and it so far is exactly as I said.

The entire first half of it so far is describing exactly the kind of system I was talking about. The mapping between logical addresses that the game and PS5 CPU uses, and the actual physical addresses of the flash memory that the controller is responsible for.

In the patent this is referred to exactly as logical and physical addresses, with the SSD controller consisting precisely of a flash controller that deals in physical addresses, a host controller that deals in logical addresses from the host (CPU/Game), and a fast pool of RAM used by both to store the address conversion table that connects the two.

It is so far nothing like as described by P psorcerer and is working exactly as it does on PC at the level of the SSD controller, which is all I was ever talking about. The host does not directly address the physical flash storage address range.

Usually there is an amount of DRAM built into high end SSD controllers for not just caching writes to improve write performance, but for keeping this mapping table very close to the SSD controller. It's not on chip because that's not how DRAM works. DRAM is also expensive, but traditionally you need 1 GB of it for every 1 TB of storage, just to keep that mapping table resident.

You need to keep that mapping table resident and close to reduce latency, which directly affects random read performance. Something that will be common in consoles now they're using SSD and don't want to duplicate data.

DRAMless SSDs in PCs were designed for things like laptops where you want to use less energy (DRAM costs energy), and also save costs in manufacturing. Not only do they suffer in write performance, they also suffer in random read performance, as demonstrated in the bench-marking article I linked.

Now what's interesting, and what I didn't realise until I started reading this patent, is that Sony has been experimenting with coarser mapping tables, and having them completely or partially resident not just in SSD controller DRAM, but on-chip itself in SRAM, for even better latency improvements.

The patent is generic enough in scope in that it may or may not relate to PS5. The SRAM as shown in Cerny's slide is clearly outside of the SSD controller, so that isn't it, but there's still a chance PS5's SSD controller is using this technology, which is a step above even a DRAM equipped SSD in latency.

The idea that an SSD would keep its flash mapping table resident in system RAM is nonsense.

Still going through the patent and it's extremely interesting so far. Considering who provided the link to it, it's unsual they didn't seem to understand the point I was making, which is made exactly in the opening summary of the patent.

tl;dr "DRAMless SSDs" don't just suffer from poor write speeds, but also random read performance. They are budget mobile devices. Random read will be leveraged by SSD equipped consoles to get rid of data duplication. From the patent provided and the concerns it lays out in the opening, it's unlikely Sony would have opted for a "DRAMless SSD" solution, and they may have even gone a step further and be using a pool of SRAM in the SSD controller itself to further reduce latency over DRAM equipped SSDs.

EDIT: The idea seems to be that the controller can load in different complete or partial mapping tables saved in flash depending on what it's doing, hence it can get away with a small but ultra fast SRAM pool, rather than a large and slightly more distant (but still before the main SoC) DRAM pool.
As game packages are basically copied from Blu-ray into flash and aren't rewritten to, it could be that a mapping table related to the game package gets loaded into that pool. Maybe it gets sent an address and an offset to get something more specific. Still reading. The point is it doesn't need the entire 825 GB mapping table to fit into a smaller SRAM pool if the only random reads likely to be happening relate to an area that isn't really ever changing.

Wonderful input, my friend. Pretty dense yet for my level of knowledge but I get the general idea you're pointing out. Thanks a lot for your precious time and him as well. You guys put a great value of knowledge around here about tech stuff you can't easily find outside on youtube or articles, and interact with us generously.

Warm regards. 🙌

Last edited:

Handy Fake

Wonderful input, my friend. Pretty dense yet for my level of knowledge but I get the general idea your pointing out. Thanks a lot for your precious time and and him as well. You guys put a great value of knowledge around here about tech stuff you can't easily find outside on youtube or articles, and interact with us generously.

Warm regards. 🙌
You're just too pure for this world, you are.:messenger_tears_of_joy:

My first ever heart reaction on this website went to him after saying how pissed off he was to see people mocking someone in a YouTube video comment for dreaming of one day getting a PS4 even this late on, with those doing the mocking likely not realising how poor some parts of the world are, and how long they have to wait for the things we take for granted and are impatient to get even a marketing video for.
Anyone with a heart like that, that can also splash some love and COLD HARD CASH around the forum with gold memberships is someone worth having around.

Neo Blaster

Do you really think both companies didn't anticipate that? Why do you think they invested in high efficiency compression algorithms and hardware decompression blocks? Not to mention assets redundancy on storage can be eliminated thanks to the SSD.

Handy Fake

My first ever heart reaction on this website went to him after saying how pissed off he was to see people mocking someone in a YouTube video comment for dreaming of one day getting a PS4 even this late on, with those doing the mocking likely not realising how poor some parts of the world are, and how long they have to wait for the things we take for granted and are impatient to get even a marketing video for.
Anyone with a heart like that, that can also splash some love and COLD HARD CASH around the forum with gold memberships is someone worth having around.
Amen to that.
He's still a soft shite.;)

Wonderful input, my friend. Pretty dense yet for my level of knowledge but I get the general idea you're pointing out. Thanks a lot for your precious time and and him as well. You guys put a great value of knowledge around here about tech stuff you can't easily find outside on youtube or articles, and interact with us generously.

Warm regards. 🙌

Even for me a lot of it is general idea. I've learned a lot from this thread, and likely even from P psorcerer too in previous inputs. As I said, it mostly stemmed from us both using the same word "SRAM" to refer to two different parts of a system. Or in this case, potentially two different systems, too. Patents are also extremely hard reading, and if it's not in your native language, it's doubly so. It's not just English, but Englishpatentese.
The Road to PS5 video has sparked just as much curiosity and the same quest to try and understand the fundamentals in myself. I've been wrong here already and corrected myself when I realise.

PaintTinJr

Tim Sweeney generally responds to questions like this but I’m not surprised he shut Linus down. He must’ve seen the video where straight up the guy said Tim should stop ‘trying so hard’ to sell soap for Sony as there are already existing SSDs in PC space which are faster than SSD in the PS5. He then left the room to fetch the said SSD and proceeded to gloat about proving them wrong.

I mean see this for yourself.

It is the level of disrespect I find so amazing. I don't watch a lot of youtube people but was familiar with Linus from one or two videos I'd seen, and feel he's just destroyed his reputation in calling Sweeney a liar.

Unfortunately it seems this is the internet culture we have, where it is normal for industry alumni to get reputationally impugned by relative laypeople. And on a similar note, I think Xbox's biggest mistake in the last 15years has been to rely too heavily on similar laypeople like Digital foundry for guidance for their Xbox strategy.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

:lollipop_tears_of_joy: No man, I prefer to treat people in the internet like I do face to face, and those guys are really pouring lots of knowledge around, that I'll recycle later on my own posts.:messenger_smiling_horns:

43we77.jpg

You got me confused right there :lollipop_tears_of_joy: Settled for the heart🙌

Amen to that.
He's still a soft shite.;)

43wen6.jpg

Even for me a lot of it is general idea. I've learned a lot from this thread, and likely even from P psorcerer too in previous inputs. As I said, it mostly stemmed from us both using the same word "SRAM" to refer to two different parts of a system. Or in this case, potentially two different systems, too. Patents are also extremely hard reading, and if it's not in your native language, it's doubly so. It's not just English, but Englishpatentese.
The Road to PS5 video has sparked just as much curiosity and the same quest to try and understand the fundamentals in myself. I've been wrong here already and corrected myself when I realise.

The Road to PS5 is just like raw gold, need so much work to refine and appreciate. XSX sounds like recycled, rusty iron, which is still useful but nothing much to stare at and analyze.

It is the level of disrespect I find so amazing. I don't watch a lot of youtube people but was familiar with Linus from one or two videos I'd seen, and feel he's just destroyed his reputation in calling Sweeney a liar.

Unfortunately it seems this is the internet culture we have, where it is normal for industry alumni to get reputationally impugned by relative laypeople. And on a similar note, I think Xbox's biggest mistake in the last 15years has been to rely too heavily on similar laypeople like Digital foundry for guidance for their Xbox strategy.

I've heard of this but not watched it until now, and it's worse than I thought.

The Sweeney quote they used said the "storage architecture" in PS5 is ahead of anything currently on PC. The storage architecture. That's the entire IO chain and software stack. Sweeney's quote never said the PS5 SSD was ahead of anything currently on PC. He never said faster SSDs don't exist. What a bell end.
Yet again I wish Sony had some marketing phrase similar to "Velocity Architecture" to refer to their storage architecture, just so the whole thing stops getting referred to merely as "PS5's SSD".

dr guildo

EDIT: Jesus the video I linked really doesn't do it justice. The player isn't very good.

Still the same level design, so your example is misleading. Have you seen my Dr Strange gif ?
Two different world designs. If not I could have taken SoulReaver which made this, way before TF on PS1.

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

I want to ask a question regarding the XSX console, there are any document, post, or youtube video talking about their RAM approach, this is the second time they go with a different set up than PS, now they have 10GB going at a far better 560 GB/s and 6 GB going at 336 GB/s, I want to know, is there any concerns or high expectations with this?
UE5 uses async compute(GPU obviously) for the nanite and lumen software renderers AFAIK, and keeping the work scheduling on time - to let DMA data copies, compute and GPU pipeline task splice seamlessly to maximize performance - begins with good CPU task scheduling., as latency at the CPU propagates through to the schedule on the GPU.

The UE5 engine will use as much memory as available, so the slower 6GB for the CPU being needed is pretty much guaranteed, so having only 336GB/s bandwidth and I/O to do on CPU cores, versus 448GB/s and an IO complex doing the DMA copies directly to unified RAM will almost certainly favour better scheduling(lower latency issues) on the PS5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom