• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
It has a lot more than two extra cores. The IO alone is 10 cores worth and Tempest is pretty much the power of Cell.
You are don't follow me, you cannot just compare how much equivalent each IO system and then said (If I understand you correctly) PS5 has works
in IRL like it has 2 core more because one system needs a much better IO for three basic reasons:

1)Has more raw bandwidth so much data needs to be streamed and decompress.
2)The approach of stream directly to cache of GPU is great but until some dev with access to dev kit say a number compare to XSX you cannot just use number
which think is equivalent to that feature.
3)Yes PS5 focus in big part of its IO in remove footprint of the CPU, but the only thing we know now XSX use CPU is for example for access to the SSD as ram they
said 10% of a core (DirectStorage) and they cannot stream directly to the cache as we know so this also should be impact the CPU but just don't know how much

I am Sony sure will got a better sound compare to the XSX but again you cannot you make an extrapolation from that (Tempest similar to CPU of PS4) to say that in order to
get that sound XSX will use more cores, when in reality which will happens is the dev probably prefer its game has worst audio than take more CPU.

Something I want to know of XSXs is the sound how much will affect in performance the GPU.

You are don't follow me, you cannot just compare how much equivalent each IO system and then said (If I understand you correctly) PS5 has works
in IRL like it has 2 core more because one system needs a much better IO for three basic reasons:

2)The approach of stream directly to cache of GPU is great but until some dev with access to dev kit say a number compare to XSX you cannot just use number
3)Yes PS5 focus in big part of its IO in remove footprint of the CPU, but the only thing we know now XSX use CPU is for example for access to the SSD as ram they
said 10% of a core (DirectStorage) and they cannot stream directly to the cache as we know so this also should be impact the CPU but just don't know how much

I am Sony sure will got a better sound compare to the XSX but again you cannot you make an extrapolation from that (Tempest similar to CPU of PS4) to say that in order to
get that sound XSX will use more cores, when in reality which will happens is the dev probably prefer its game has worst audio than take more CPU.

Something I want to know of XSXs is the sound how much will affect in performance the GPU.

I thought Xbox Series X has dedicated audio cores and Hardware built on the APU?

Neo Blaster

Update on Pedicure Watch 2020. We now have entered the second ring of hell. I had an appointment at 3pm. I arrived 10 minutes before 3pm est. I was then Told they are short staff and I would have to wait. I waited till 6pm est. At that point the owner then told me they wouldn’t get to me today. She then set and appointment up at 1pm est Friday. She also gave me a 25% off coupon because of my troubles.

I just want a pedicure. Is that to much to ask?
At least you've got 25% off coupon from them for the delay, Sony gave us nothing.

Joey.

aww i was excited for the ps5 game show

fellas pray for us socom guys. they skipped whole generation on us. lets hope

Damn...
We are due for a SOCOM.
Lets hope we get one this gen and soon.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm not digging the Russian talks of a ''fat''/"huge-as-1.5-PS4Pro's" PS5, a square box with round edges.

It's sounding like it will look pretty boring; and give-off vibes of an oversized internet router, a chunky PS1/Saturn-type design, or depening on how wide it is, a tall WiiFit Blanace Board.

None of the following mockups look appealing to me:

vwwtcgD.png

pSTjH38.jpg

FyGEIVy.jpg

Obviously all look fake but I don't mind the second and third. Third looks pretty sweet.

Neo Blaster

If we get a new date and it's soon, I suspect it will be sometime early next week, with the event occurring later in the week.

Waiting until July is ridiculous.
Agreed. Tomorrow is George Floyd's memorial and Tuesday, his funeral. I don't think we'll hear anything from Sony before that, but they could announce it on Wednesday to happen on the following week, but before TLOU2 release date.

I thought Xbox Series X has dedicated audio cores and Hardware built on the APU?
Yes It has this remove as we know footprint from the CPU is less powerful than the tempest but help to XSX but
the sound can also affect the performance of the GPU for 3d audio.

Hi Doncabesa Doncabesa our favorite fanboy ♥ what the guys from discord say? any new comment on youtube to share in various forums

Last edited:
Yes It has this remove as we know footprint from the CPU is less powerful than the tempest but help to XSX but
the sound can also affect the performance of the GPU for 3d audio.

I might be mistaken but I thought the hardware audio cores on Xbox Series X APU also does Ray Tracing Audio also. Which can create a 3D audio. Now I’m not saying it’s better then Sony’s solution. Just saying it shouldn’t have an impact on CPU or GPU. Like you state.

Let me edit this. It shouldn’t have the degree of impact as you state. Should have very low impact on CPU and almost Zero on GPU!

Last edited:

bitbydeath

The numbers came from Mark Cerny.
9 cores for decompression and 1 core for copying data. The point I’m trying to make is that these tasks are wholly carried out by the IO and not the main CPU.

This means PS5 will be using these two in unison so comparing a single CPU vs another is fruitless since we know PS5 won’t be as reliant on the main CPU.

For the sound, again the information came from Mark Cerny and my point is not about who has the better sound or how many cores are involved. It’s that these tasks won’t be drawn from the main CPU thereby freeing it up more for other tasks.

I might be mistaken but I thought the hardware audio cores on Xbox Series X APU also does Ray Tracing Audio also. Which can create a 3D audio. Now I’m not saying it’s better then Sony’s solution. Just saying it shouldn’t have an impact on CPU or GPU. Like you state.
Is not the correct.

Both consoles can use RT for raytracing audio using its GPU not its audio chip but in the end the audio could still need to be process for the some CU in the GPU,
that is why the tempest has that ridiculous amount of power for a audio chip in order to help in that instead.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

Let me edit this. It shouldn’t have the degree of impact as you state. Should have very low impact on CPU and almost Zero on GPU!

That's called pre-baked 3D audio, not true, ray-traced 3D audio that needs GPU. UE5 and even UE4 is already supporting it, nothing special and it's computationally cheap:

Funny thing is, AMD had to reserve 4 CU's to make only 128 sources, the tempest is shooting for hundreds, every droplet has its sound. Well, Xbox will most likely stick to Dolby Atmos 32 sources. The chip on the xbox mimicks CPU-based 3D audio (already done on PS4, but lower level), that's all. It's good, but it's worse.

EDIT: I felt something missing in my day, it was the regular lol reaction from my lovely friend Doncabesa Doncabesa :messenger_smiling_hearts: Thank you 🙌

Last edited:
That's called pre-baked 3D audio, not true 3D that needs GPU. UE5 and even UE4 is already supporting it, nothing special and it's computationally cheap:

Funny thing is, AMD had to reserve 4 CU's to make only 128 sources, the tempest is shooting for hundreds, every droplet has its sound. Well, Xbox will most likely stick to Dolby Atmos 32 sources. The chip on the xbox mimicks CPU-based 3D audio (already done on PS4, but lower level), that's all. It's good, but it's worse.

I never said it was better the Sony’s solution. Just stating they had a Hardware version. So CPU and GPU usage should be very close to nill of resource usage.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I never said it was better the Sony’s solution. Just stating they had a Hardware version. So CPU and GPU usage should be very close to nill of respires usage.

Well, that has been thoroughly discussed here before, and what you said now is true. It's still way inferior to the Tempest and not ray traced but pre-baked. It's still current gen tech but lifted to a chip instead of the CPU. It should sound better than current gen consoles, but incomparable to PS5.

Last edited:
The numbers came from Mark Cerny.
9 cores for decompression and 1 core for copying data. The point I’m trying to make is that these tasks are wholly carried out by the IO and not the main CPU.

This means PS5 will be using these two in unison so comparing a single CPU vs another is fruitless since we know PS5 won’t be as reliant on the main CPU.

For the sound, again the information came from Mark Cerny and my point is not about who has the better sound or how many cores are involved. It’s that these tasks won’t be drawn from the main CPU thereby freeing it up more for other tasks.
Yes we are agree the IO of PS5 left more free CPU than XSX but your last comment is wrong as we know the XSX also free its CPU, my point in that audio chip
is the use for 3D audio which is done for the GPU or the case of the PS5 the tempest, the CPU is much slower than the GPU for topic in part for this reason
Sony take a CU and modified in order to make its tempest chip.

But my point is the same you cannot quote Cerny in that way and put a number in how much of cores gains in performance against the XSX if you don't understand
that the IO is in part more powerful because the raw bandwidth is higher and also because has other features (cache scrubber) the same for the sound one
console will have sound than the other but that doesn't means the an studio is force to use more CPU to reach the level of PS5.

My point is simple you cannot translate the performance gains just 1 cores of PS5 IO/Tempest to 1 use core of the CPU of XSX, is not so simple, is even a worst way
to measure than TF.

Please don't be like those Xbox fans will raise its console to clouds while the other console should be garbage so they feel good.

Yes we are agree the IO of PS5 left more free CPU than XSX but your last comment is wrong as we know the XSX also free its CPU, my point in that audio chip
is the use for 3D audio which is done for the GPU or the case of the PS5 the tempest, the CPU is much slower than the GPU for topic in part for this reason

But my point is the same you cannot quote Cerny in that way and put a number in how much of cores gains in performance against the XSX if you don't understand
that the IO is in part more powerful because the raw bandwidth is higher and also because has other features (cache scrubber) the same for the sound one
console will have sound than the other but that doesn't means the an studio is force to use more CPU to reach the level of PS5.

My point is simple you cannot translate the performance gains just 1 cores of PS5 IO/Tempest to 1 use core of the CPU of XSX, is not so simple, is even a worst way
to measure than TF.

Please don't be like those Xbox fans will raise its console to clouds while the other console should be garbage so they feel good.
I like you man, but let me tell this: When God send infidels to Hell, he will force them to read a book written by you. The ultimate punishment.

bitbydeath

to measure than TF.

The IO is completely self reliant in the PS5, we know this is not the case for Xbox.

I don’t care about power was just pointing out the facts.

FeiRR

Banned
Are those kinds of stuff :

Swapping from a normal sized world to a very very tiny one with the same assets fidelity
giphy.gif

244b48e3fee0feb3ba7460708f91e40e.gif

Teleporting from a dimension to another in a blink of an eye with same assets fidelity
tenor.gif

possible on Xbox Series X without compromise ?

Honest question

Check the Medium trailer. It will be possible but with less fidelity than PS5. How much, we don't know yet. I expect quite a lot but, at the same time, there are many ways to cover that with tricks. It's more of a pain for developers than gamers.

Even for me a lot of it is general idea. I've learned a lot from this thread, and likely even from @psorcerer too in previous inputs. As I said, it mostly stemmed from us both using the same word "SRAM" to refer to two different parts of a system. Or in this case, potentially two different systems, too. Patents are also extremely hard reading, and if it's not in your native language, it's doubly so. It's not just English, but Englishpatentese.
Legal language is purposefully vague to keep the communication only to those in the known. If you're not a lawyer, you might not get what's said not because you don't know that language but a lot of innocent looking expressions have a totally different meaning. It might sound like a conspiracy theory but it's not. I have worked for a patent office.

I haven't really come to like FPS much initially over the years, but I have to say, after playing COD WWII: I'm starting to like them again. The last time I played one seriously was Wolfenstein New Order.

Playing Titanfall 2 now and I agree, it's pretty good based on the campaign. Wondering which other FPS games in this vein I should try out?
It'll be hard to recommend anything as TF2 campaign is one of the best this gen (I also think that its MP is in fact the best). Have you tried Destiny 2? I think it's even free. Just don't get involved in the online/grind part: get to the end of the story and drop it. Also Metro, all 3 of them.

Even closer to Dr Strange, but same RAM limitation

And it's a trick because the camera is static, so most of the scene can be flat.

I just want a pedicure. Is that to much to ask?
This could be 2020's motto.

I might be in the minority in this thread that actually likes the design of the XSX. Pure form following function. Big ass heatsink that you can blow some canned air at from the too to declog. Big but tightly packaged.
If PS5 is somehow significantly smaller in volume I’ll be very surprised.
The problem is that one of its dimensions is 30 cm long. How many TV cabinets have that much space? I know you can put it on a side but will the air flow be the same then? It's almost like Microsoft is purposefully moving towards a PC. The last step will be putting Windows 10 on it. And then I'd probably buy an Xbox again.

Hi, my name is Tim and I enjoy making fire :messenger_fire:

This is huge. He's just told the entire industry that Sony left them behind in a puddle of tears. PC hardware will catch up soon but Xbox... Please understand why our games smell of last gen. Please be excited for a mid-gen refresh in 3 years. Please use the cloud in the meanwhile.

Hi, my name is Tim and I enjoy making fire :messenger_fire:

This has always been the curse and blessing of PCs being an union of parts of different
companies without a single goal in specific and I hope it continues to be in this way for many time.

It is a curse because it requires that many companies have its solutions aligned to a specific
objective which can take a little more time than for example a dedicated hardware like a console
and even could be much more expensive.

And a blessing because if a company doesn't deliver new solutions or innovative uses with the pass
of the time the competition may outperform you (like intel vs amd).

Last edited:

Sinthor

Gold Member
Well, I just hope that we get past all of this madness and get the reveals and some POSITIVE FUCKING NEWS for once. I feel just burned out by this year already, and we're only halfway thru it. People all over the world have been losing their minds since the Covid-19 stuff started in around February. And that doesn't even count countries where there's an outright war or famine, etc. 2020 just BLOWS.

I was thinking about saying that it seems Microsoft might have created the more balanced system, but didn't want to draw too much attention away from the fact that Epic has said that you'll never have a game with this type of fidelity because they would be too big. So the chance is high that the PS5 SSD speed will only be seen in loading times when comparing with the XSX.

I was thinking about saying that it seems Microsoft might have created the more balanced system, but didn't want to draw too much attention away from the fact that Epic has said that you'll never have a game with this type of fidelity because they would be too big. So the chance is high that the PS5 SSD speed will only be seen in loading times when comparing with the XSX.
Man I swear if you ever see tiger IRL you will still said than is not possible exists bigger felines than the cats.

Because man thank you God you are not making games because you are very obtuse to understand this type of topics.

giphy.gif

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
Future Games Show delay may hint at new PS5 reveal date

Future Games Show (initially slated for June 6th) has been postponed to June 13th!
We know this was going to show off Quantum Error gameplay which runs on the PS5.
Do we think this possibly hints at the PS5 event being before that by a couple of days? Considering it previously was before the Future Games Show by a couple of days before the postponement.

🤔

Radical_3d

Future Games Show delay may hint at new PS5 reveal date

Future Games Show (initially slated for June 6th) has been postponed to June 13th!
We know this was going to show off Quantum Error gameplay which runs on the PS5.
Do we think this possibly hints at the PS5 event being before that by a couple of days? Considering it previously was before the Future Games Show by a couple of days before the postponement.

🤔

It’s not happening boys. Give up. Team October reveal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom