• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vae_Victis

Banned

The DualShock 4 in section is about 10cm from bottom of the handles to triggers. Assuming the DualSense is about as large, and the renders from the trailers are to scale, the PS5 should be a bit short of 40cm.

That's one big fucking router, my friends.

2lz1e9Q.jpg

Last edited:

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
I agree, get over yourself. Take comfort in the fact that time heals all wounds.
I'm not the one that made the rule of not making fun of someone or being dismissive of people because of how long they've had an account created bud. But hey, keep on truckin', see where that gets you.

Last edited:

icerock

Both forums are going to be unbrowsable for few days. Made the mistake of venturing into Xbox thread over on Era, there's a heightened sense of optimism that MS can easily outdo this show in July as Halo is a bigger deal than anything shown today. Also, many believe nothing shown today topples Halo footage from last years E3.... :messenger_grimmacing_

Man we had gorgeous looking games with jaguars and old tech on a base PS4 fgs. Just give it a few years and you'll see. It's always the case

Just report the troll and move on, just bottom of the barrel trolling with little effort.

Digital only SKU same design and size? Hopefully it has double the storage and not just a cheaper sku to sell at $450-400

I doubt that, it's the same thing minus the BD drive to push the cost down a little bit. Expect it to be $50 cheaper and hence make it more appealing at launch. I don't think PS5 SKU with disc-drive is going to be a cent cheaper than $499.99.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Launch-window probably (like within 6 months). Though isn't Horizon > Motorsports these days?

They are very different games for different audiences. The career mode in FM6 was extremely meh which I think left a lot of fans like myself stick to hoirzon more just because there was more to do. FM7 though is very strong in progression even with its not so great monetization.

Grodiak

Yeah, the YT stream quality was rubbish. But we all expected that. Sony has all the trailers online now and therefore much more enjoyable.

While most of the games looked great - the generational leap was hard to see/feel. But yeah, for sure better rez, better fps undoubtedly incoming. And part of the experience is just hard to convey via trailers (haptics, tempest). Stoked so much stuff was thrown our way. Just need a bit to digest - also jumped into the gin&tonic train for the reveal so... I'll circle back to everything again tomorrow with... "fresh" eyes.

Vae_Victis

Banned
I calculated using the Blu-Ray Player. CDs are 120mm. So got approx. 360mm.
Considering a bit of extra room in the disc unit (the insert window must be at least a bit larger than the disc itself), it's pretty much my same identical number.

Give or take a couple of centimetres on the exact figure, it will be more than 35 and less than 40. For those people stuck counting with their body parts, it is about 14 or 15 inches. For comparison, a PS4 is a bit less than 29 cm large (11 inches).

Microsoft just went all around BIG, but Sony still went LONG.

Last edited:

Dodkrake

Banned
Considering a bit of extra room in the disc unit (the insert window must be at least a bit larger than the disc itself), it's pretty much my same identical number.

Give or take a couple of centimetres on the exact figure, it will be more than 35 and less than 40. For those people stuck counting with their body parts, it is about 14 or 15 inches. For comparison, a PS4 is a bit less than 29 cm large (11 inches).

Microsoft just went all around BIG, but Sony still went LONG.

We don't know the width though. It looks like it will be a chunky boi

dimaveshkin

Well, my useless take on event (i just need to speak out):

1. Where is flexing on tech in games?
I know R&C has these teleportations and interdimensional stuff looked cool, but actual gameplay with TP over 10 meters looked way too gimmicky. Cracks (in time/matter?) took to much space on screen for this little they offer in terms of gameplay. Actual jump/dash would be much cooler and more dynamic than teleportation..
GT7 - what are those pop-ins, huh? Not sure what exactly caused it: shadows or LODs. I thought no pop-ins are kind of a given with this I/O + CPU + GPU. Looks like REYES and UE5-like stuff is not here yet.
We seen some cool reflections, but what about GI? Light in most games look so much current-gen.
Funny, that some of the best looking light are actually from third-party (Kena, Project Athia).
The most mind-boggling for me is that nothing looks as great as TLOU2.
Can't judge Horizon 2 yet, since no real gameplay here. No feeling of "more polygons on Eloy than in entire first game" tho.
I guess DF will be needed not only to show difference between XSX and PS5, but to point out where is the next-gen stuff.

2. Too much indies. Even considering that they cut some games not running on PS5, it looks like they didn't cut enough. Shorted and more tense presentation would be better. All those indies should have been showed separately.

3. The console itself looks cool. Interesting, what kind of innovative cooling solution Cerny was mentioning previously. I hope it runs quiet.
Digital version looks so much better. Seems like it was their main design target and drive was added afterwards, Maybe this is the way they want to make consumers to choose PS5 Digital over one with drive. I am very confused, because first one looks amazing, and second one in basically feature-full.

I guess I just need to temper my expectations a lot regarding tech enhancement so far.
Pretty mediocre presentation for me. Might be just a first impression as well.

PS. My language processing unit is not working well this late, so pardon my French.

PaintTinJr

Digital only SKU same design and size? Hopefully it has double the storage and not just a cheaper sku to sell at $450-400
Despite me really liking the games shown - GT7 and a new Spiderman in the launch months has likely already filled my gaming schedule -a two SKU system at launch to push gouging digital prices meant the show finished badly for me; especially as I don't like the cheap/unreliable Virgin media hub 2 design of the console/colour scheme, and was hoping for a touchscreen surprise or something more from the dualsense.

SFftOlx.jpg

PS5 has definitely got the stronger hardware and games lineup for my tastes, but as a device to sit under one of Sony's £5k TVs, the XsX exterior design is far, far better. I want a devkit V-shape one in black (glossy or matte) or at worst, Solid Snake sneaking suit grey :)

The console looked crap IMHO - hopefully everyone else likes it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom