• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh my God, these people... 🤣🤣🤣

BY4pATa.jpg
f6R3obi.jpg

This kind of reminds me of AMD and Sony saying that the PS5 is RDNA2 but then some people refuse to believe the source.

It's really funny to see that happen.

TheAssist

Probably differences in development also. One is something new, the other probably builds on assets already created for the original.

Stop it with you logic and rational thinking!

I actually thought the close up of Miles in the ending kinda gave it away as cross gen. Just didnt look as impressive as even Ellie or Joel in TLoU2.
But the city looked amazing.

Still crazy how many games that were for a console reveal. I've never seen something like that.
Like this is the first time you can buy EITHER console and you'll be fine right from the start. Even if lots of these are more like launch window.
Ad the big 3rd party games (cross gen) and BC. Really cool

HAL-01

Probably differences in development also. One is something new, the other probably builds on assets already created for the original.
All assets we’ve seen clearly are of much higher quality though. We don’t even get a good look at the citybut we know for a fact the city they built for the ps4 game was procedurally generated in Houdini at a much higher fidelity than what appears in the last game.

People are most likely being thrown off by the art style, plus being misled by how good the last games photo mode looks. Once people get to play it the difference will be obvious

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
Did anyone notice anything special with the 3d audio?
During the GT7 gameplay sequence there was something . That moment was the one i think was the most obvious :

I believe you can hear when the car touch the side of the road and "hear" where the car is but i don't know if it was real or just me imagining it . Beyond that i did not notice anything else .

saintjules

Did anyone notice anything special with the 3d audio?

Not that I could tell. As an Audio Engineer/Producer, I didn't find anything in yesterday's presentation to warrant the use of the headphones. Some nice panning effects to some of the FX sounds used and good usage of the stereo field by merging/separating sounds from the trailers, but all that are normal techniques. The best sounding part was the the track used in the actual reveal of the PS5. That was dope sounding, but again, nothing to what highlighted Cerny's comments.

Until the Console is in our hands, we won't fully realize the power of the audio features. I'd think it would compare close to (and eventually supersede) what Dolby Atmos is doing currently. I've dabbled on that a bit when working with productions laid out with separate stems to be positioned in specific parts of the stereo field (ie. front, back, sides,) and eventually gets automated to move about in the field.

Last edited:
Destruction AllStars (PS5 Exclusive, PS Studios)

100% interest. Wonderful game! Brings back memories of Twisted Metal and Destruction Derby back in PS1, with a flavor of Fortnite-like, and Rocket League. I think this will potentially be Sony's next big thing. Detailed destruction, on-foot interaction when your car destroyed so you can pick up another car. Lots of potential customization both visually and tactically!

YES! I thought the exact same thing, I love Destruction Derby on the PS1 and as soon as I saw the cars driving around it reminded me of that game!

Pinktaco

Is there a summary of actual PS5 launch titles (as of now)?
I tried to google the answer, but it just showed all the current known games :<

T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member

"Elsewhere, another aspect of the Cerny presentation paid off spectacularly. One of the key features of the new GPU is the Geometry Engine, giving developers unprecedented control over triangles and other primitives and easy control over geometry culling. There's nothing new in terms of principles here - it boils down to removing the need to render triangles that end up being invisible in the final frame. The less geometry you process, the less work there is for the GPU, meaning that resources can be used elsewhere. The immense richness in detail seen in idTech 7 and Call of Duty Modern Warfare's IW8 engine owes much to culling. However, the next-gen geometry engine does this at the hardware level, while opening the door to primitive shaders, which helps to streamline the entire process."

Lots more interesting nuggets in the article, I recommend giving it a read.

Horizon: Forbidden West screenshots of gameplay and cutscenes

EaRKLxYXgAIKuT0

EaRI91YXgAI1I0z

EaRLBXLXsAEoc43

EaRLDuUXYAszjiS
One of the most anticipated games right now! The game looks impressive.

Kena-Bridge-of-the-Spirits-240983.jpg

Kena_BOS_GameArt.jpg

Kena-Bridge-of-the-Spirits-240977.jpg

VillageRunning.jpg

woodknight-parry_wq75.jpg

rotcarry_t56g.jpg

Some of the screenshots from the gameplay shown, that some concern trolls try so hard not to see.

Just think this is the first generation of games for this console.... is so gorgeous.

Respect the design of the console is okay if you don't like it I mean the personal taste but people you have to recognize that
at least Sony try to design its console not put everything in the most basic shapes in the nature.... a Cuboid(a box).

Exists a little difference between be minimalist and does not have a design and XSX could be a good engineering work internally
but in the exterior I don't see any kind of design.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Four thousand PS4 games are currently tested for BC with the PS5.

Sorry if old.
That's not what it says.

It says there are 4,000 PS4 games and they are going through the process of testing them.

More confirmation that PS5 BC isn't automatic and requires testing/fixes.

(all I personally care about are a handful of Sony exclusives, but people who think there is some mode where PS5 can just play PS4 games out of the box are making assumptions not based on what has been said)

T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member

Lots more interesting nuggets in the article, I recommend giving it a read.

Another quote on resolutions, trying to imagine HZD in 4K on my TV!

We also took a look at Demon's Souls, Kena: Bridge of Spirits, Little Devil Inside, Pragmata, Ratchet and Clank, Returnal and Stray - and all of them appeared locked at native 3840x2160 with no evidence of reconstruction as we know it. Horizon Forbidden West also checks out as full 2160p, but we can't quite rule out some kind of temporal reconstruction (it is very, very clean, however). An exception is Destruction All-Stars, which is native 4K for much of the trailer, but also includes a few 1080p shots too. While the jury is still out in the absence of higher quality assets, what we've seen so far across the board shows little to no evidence of the use of variable rate shading - a technique Microsoft is championing as a key efficiency driver in next-gen rendering.

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember saying when the UE5 demo was shown, that there was some sort of marketing deal made between Sony and Epic.

Looks like I was right. Many of the games shown are for PS4, PS5 and Epic Games Store. Coincidence? I think not.
And you are the person who comes to complain every time someone says something bad about XSX but curiously if it is the other way around it does not matter ... what hypocrisy.
After a night's sleep looking back at the show, it was OK-ish. From an Xbox fan perspective it's a 6/10. Console reveal and next-gen games.

The games itself were to be expected and looked decent.
  • Horizon looked amazing, voice-over was shit and I'm pretty sure they won't be able to captivate me in the story. The first one also had that problem. Guerilla should ask ND to help with this.
  • R&C... These games have always been fun. Microsoft really should create something similar to this type of gameplay and looks. Sunset Overdrive had the potential for this.
  • GT7, wasn't really impressed by this. Pretty sure Forza will outshine it easily from gameplay to visuals.
  • Spiderman. I see this more as an extension on the previous game, with upgraded graphics. Pretty sure that the next Spiderman game in 4 years will be much better.
With those 4 alone I can imagine that PS owners are already pretty happy. Heavy hitters from past generations that are getting a sequel. Then the console reveal itself... It's good that they showed it. I think it's ugly in a normal setting, might look good in a dedicated game room. But that's purely taste. Overall decent show, I expect more from Microsofts July event though. Will be disappointed otherwise.
Hey for you a Xbox fan 4 AAA good games are equivalent to 4 years of its console in the market I don't see a problem I mean Xbox one will ends this gen
without a single serious competitor to be a GOTY.

TBiddy

And you are the person who comes to complain every time someone says something bad about XSX but curiously if it is the other way around it does not matter ... what hypocrisy.

It's not a negative thing, quite the contrary. Both Epic and Sony will benefit from a close relationship.

It’s wild how Spider-Man MM and Ratchet & Clank are being made by the same studio at the same time with probably the same engine, but people think one looks amazing and the other looks cross gen

I believe it’s probably cause they expected R&C looking like a cg movie, but they expected Spider-Man to look photorealistic
Probably because Spiderman mm was originally a PS4 title ( speculation) while R&C is built for ps5 from ground up. Also the red lightening effect in SpideMan game was a bit low resolution while being close to camera.

THE:MILKMAN

That's not what it says.

It says there are 4,000 PS4 games and they are going through the process of testing them.

More confirmation that PS5 BC isn't automatic and requires testing/fixes.

(all I personally care about are a handful of Sony exclusives, but people who think there is some mode where PS5 can just play PS4 games out of the box are making assumptions not based on what has been said)

This again is going back on Sony's two? previous 'clarifications'. The below video is exactly what I understood Mark Cerny meant with PS5 BC. Sony have made a pigs ear of this IMO.

Anyone got any idea why Sony have gone back and forth on this issue so many times? It genuinely baffles me. They were OK with zero BC for PS4 so why did they have to mess it up trying to put it in PS5 to "compete". As you can tell this issue has really pissed me off on principal and I don't even care about BC.....!

Last edited:

SonGoku

It’s wild how Spider-Man MM and Ratchet & Clank are being made by the same studio at the same time with probably the same engine, but people think one looks amazing and the other looks cross gen

I believe it’s probably cause they expected R&C looking like a cg movie, but they expected Spider-Man to look photorealistic
I think it looks really good but also have to consider the limitation of it being a launch title with less amount of dev resources dedicated to it and if its like Lost Legacy then it might be reusing assets. Also do we have any word on whether is PS5 only or coming to PS4 as well?
But must be watched on a 4K tv, which is still heavily compressed video but looks insane:

If not, then the direct screenshots will help:

I meant confirmation of being a DLC type game (lost legacy) as opposed to a full priced physical release

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Hey for you a Xbox fan 4 AAA good games are equivalent to 4 years of its console in the market I don't see a problem I mean Xbox one will ends this gen
without a single serious competitor to be a GOTY.
I didn't see a problem either. Decent line up for the following years.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I think it looks really good but also have to consider the limitation of it being a launch title with less amount of dev resources dedicated to it and if its like Lost Legacy then it might be reusing assets. Also do we have any word on whether is PS5 only or coming to PS4 as well?

I meant confirmation of being a DLC type game (lost legacy) as opposed to a full priced physical release

They confirmed it's a full game:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom