• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shawn Layden is turning into Santa Claus.
Maybe he can deliver my PS5 personally this christmas.

bYobIba.png

Kusarigama

That's insane! I think they have the privilege to replace it with higher quality video as a major company. If they reupload the event in 4K I'll watch it again!
The video showcase itself was produced at 1080p30fps as Sid Shuman said in the blog post.

I'll tell you this though that the YouTube version of the showcase which is 1h14m in length at 1080p30fps is around 1.4gb but the Twitch version with its additional hour of blue PlayStation button symbols and music which is around 2h14m in length at 1080p30fps is 5.8gb! The quality on Twitch is far far superior than on the YouTube even at the same 1080p30fps

Last edited:

Tiago07

If MS can get games looking as good as Sony's but have them at 60fps instead of 30fps, that's a demonstrable power difference. But this is only my opinion!
And that's is something that MS would do to push their narrative "The most powerful console". Let's wait and see how it will be.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
The video showcase itself was produced at 1080p30fps as Sid Shuman said in the blog post.

I'll tell you this though that the YouTube version of the showcase which is 1h14m in length at 1080p30fps is around 1.4gb but the Twitch version with its additional hour of blue PlayStation button symbols and music which is around 2h14m in length at 1080p30fps is 5.8gb! The quality on Twitch is far far superior than on the YouTube even at the same 1080p30fps

You can hit 750MB per minute with 8-bit 4K@60fps, but they can handle it! I liked the show but would've loved it be a 4K version, and better 4K@60fps for cleaner image and less compression artifacts.

T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member

From his sources:
PS5 geometry engine from RDNA3
PS5 and XSX tweaked VRS from RDNA3
PS5 VR specific hardware optimization

I initially thought the Geometry Engine was a software feature but just recently learned that it's actually a part of the PS5's GPU, can anyone explain how does that work exactly? I cannot seem to find any explanations online.

"We're able to get to almost lifelike graphics today, even on current gen in certain instances," Spencer said. "But when you take that and you mix it with a very high frame rate, solid frame rate, very little latency in input, and the ability for game storytellers to really push the emotion and the story they're trying to get through their game, through the screen, through the controller and into you? That is something I'm feeling in the games now that is a dramatic step up.

So it seems Microsoft is betting on immersion for next gen, interesting

Corndog

Banned
I initially thought the Geometry Engine was a software feature but just recently learned that it's actually a part of the PS5's GPU, can anyone explain how does that work exactly? I cannot seem to find any explanations online.
I believe it allows geometry operations to be programmable on the gpu just like shaders. I believe both consoles support this and it is not unique to ps5 but I am not positive. I posted a video about it that was explained well from the Microsoft side. I will see if I can find it and update my post.

T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member
I believe it allows geometry operations to be programmable on the gpu just like shaders. I believe both consoles support this and it is not unique to ps5 but I am not positive. I posted a video about it that was explained well from the Microsoft side. I will see if I can find it and update my post.
Thanks.

Sorry I phrased that poorly.

What I meant to say was I was curious as to why dedicated hardware was needed on the GPU for this process, my guess would have been it can be done from software alone but I don't know much, maybe it's some sort of hardware acceleration.

Last edited by a moderator:

It seems to me as if Sony are making the same bet with their focus on player-tailored 3D audio and tactile feedback systems in the controller, too.
Not to mention continued support for and research into VR, which when done right is truly next level.

Any games made specifically for the XSX with no regard to XO will target the same 30/60/120 FPS brackets as PS5 games will. It will depend on the genre and art style, nothing else.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

They made PS5 crunch those 1+ billion polygons into 20 million polygons per frame, 4.7 polygons per pixel, a total of over 800+ million polygons per second working in parallel with PS5's superior SSD and I/O speeds to make Nanite tech possible in real time. Those are uncompressed 8K, cinematic assets with 16K shadows we're talking about here:

Doing VRS and Mesh Shading in a hardware level is extremely superior to a software-based solution. Just like HW based raytracing Vs software-based solution.

It seems to me as if Sony are making the same bet with their focus on player-tailored 3D audio and tactile feedback systems in the controller, too.
Not to mention continued support for and research into VR, which when done right is truly next level.

Any games made specifically for the XSX with no regard to XO will target the same 30/60/120 FPS brackets as PS5 games will. It will depend on the genre and art style, nothing else.
Yes, exactly what I tought. Both companies appear to be focused on immersion we already knew that from Sony but now we know Microsoft is following the same path which makes me wonder: Will there be an new Xbox controller down the line with haptic feedback? :pie_thinking:

T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member
They made PS5 crunch those 1+ billion polygons into 20 million polygons per frame, 4.7 polygons per pixel, a total of over 800+ million polygons per second working in parallel with PS5's superior SSD and I/O speeds to make Nanite tech possible in real time. Those are uncompressed 8K, cinematic assets with 16K shadows we're talking about here:

Doing VRS and Mesh Shading in a hardware level is extremely superior to a software-based solution. Just like HW based raytracing Vs software-based solution.

That actually makes much more sense now, especially with Matt Hargett's comments on triangle culling being handled entirely by the GE without the CPU, that's a pretty neat feature. Thanks for sharing.

Gamernyc78

Banned

Boy following tht Sony blueprint to the T lol they just wait a few weeks then hop on tht narrative too. It's crazy. Dual sense we feel u bro. They hopped on tht SSD narrative real quick too after Sony hyped it up and thy saw all the attention lol 😂 😂 Also game streaming, telling devs to talk about more open areas in gears ala uncharted, talking about giving devs freedom to develop their vision after thy saw Sony pushing tht narrative and getting good feedback, etcccc

Last edited:
T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member
That actually makes much more sense now, especially with Matt Hargett's comments on triangle culling being handled entirely by the GE without the CPU, that's a pretty neat feature. Thanks for sharing.
This also reminds me of what Coreteks said in his infamous AMD's Checkmate video, he stated that the next-gen consoles and future graphics cards and chips will incorporate much more fixed function hardware accelerators, for example PS5's and Series X I/O accelerators, AMD's Intersection Engine for hardware accelerated ray-tracing, PS5's GE for hardware accelerated culling and efficient rendering and control of the graphics pipeline, PS5's hardware accelerated audio from the Tempest Engine.

so who are these randos you are using as a source? Because ill trust DF’s conclusion that VRS was not present in any of the games Sony showed.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
so who are these randos you are using as a source? Because ill trust DF’s conclusion that VRS was not present in any of the games Sony showed.

You'll take those DF youtube nerds over a former principal software engineer at PlayStation?

It's your choice anyway, you can always close your eyes.

Last edited:

Nowcry

You can see mesh shading effects in both Horizon and AC Valhalla, just zoom in to see clear square-like construction:

horizon-forbidden-west-ps5-playstation-5-2.original.jpg

AC Valhalla (most likely running on PC). Here has slightly bigger squares/more visible/rough:

3690711-3664198-491495eaa1d608140e6.78434262-acv_iconicengland_evening_female.jpg
The huge difference that there is in the LOD, if the photos are ingame and in real time, it is noticeable that AC needs the LOD to resist the I / O on PC, however in HZN 2 the mountains in the background or the details of the central Photovoltaic allows us to distinguish up to a single beam at this distance.

It is sublime what can be done with a good I / O. The LOD was one of the major problems graphically speaking and having fixed it would greatly improve the graphics and immersion in games. I hope that Xbox can also do this without too much clipping and is not a problem for the advancement of video games.

roops67

Warriors will always shift the focus to where their platform is the strongest. Right now, for the PS5, that is the SSD, while in the Xbox-camp it's the 12TF.
You forgot the key words, 'theoretical' 12TF, THEORETICAL! It yet remains to be seen if XSX can hit anywhere near that. Throwing in 52 CU's don't mean that all of them can get fully utilised. Microsoft have put in bare minimum in optimisation and innovations in the XSX hardware to guarantee that performance, they've cut every corner possible to just to boast 12TF for marketing purposes (they wanted to state that their next gen XSX is twice as powerful as their last gen X1X). For instance they're touting 560GB/s for GPU and 336GB/s for system is Microsoft manipulating with bandwidth numbers (again), its not a 896GB/s wide bandwidth beast as they would like us to infer, yes it does have 560GB/s wide bus but it splits (time shares) that bus between the two separate memory pools (560GB/s bursts and 336GB/s bursts) due to the asymmetrical memory setup (further signs of cost cutting), this is far from a sustained 560GB/s memory bandwidth to the GPU! The marginally higher XSX CPU clocks will not mitigate for the dedicated hardware chunks PS5 has implemented. The PS5 has to split it's bandwidth too between all the system and GPU, but the architecture is nowhere as crippled as the XSX in trying to keep all its CU's fed! There re so many other important factors but tiago, badbreath, geordie, toadman, and others have done a good job covering them! Maybe all of these are none issues for the XSX and is more than sufficient to deliver sustained 12TF (I doubt it), time will tell

Also it hasn't been very reassuring that not a single 'independent' developer has come forward to say anything positive about the XSX. As the saying goes 'If you ain't got anything good to say... then don't say anything at all'. Microsoft influenced dev studios don't count

The way Microsoft is hyping their own console is desperate, and attempting to steal PS5's thunder is just plain dirty tactics. Sony has proven whats PS5 really capable of by real gameplay running on real PS5 hardware, but Microsoft has shown nothing to date that is next-gen playing on real XSX hardware... lets see next month. But gotta hand it to MS, they have all their fans and a lot of the media convinced that XSX is the World's Most Powerful Console without proving anything but their PR

And most importantly tbiddy I feel guilty disagreeing with you... cos you got Danny McBride as your pic... I fucking LOVE that guy!!! (#notgay)

Last edited:
T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member
You forgot the key words, 'theoretical' 12TF, THEORETICAL! It yet remains to be seen if XSX can hit anywhere near that. Throwing in 52 CU's don't mean that all of them can get fully utilised. Microsoft have put in bare minimum in optimisation and innovations in the XSX hardware to guarantee that performance, they've cut every corner possible to just to boast 12TF for marketing purposes (they wanted to state that their next gen XSX is twice as powerful as their last gen X1X). For instance they're touting 560GB/s for GPU and 336GB/s for system is Microsoft manipulating with bandwidth numbers (again), its not a 896GB/s wide bandwidth beast as they would like us to infer, yes it does have 560GB/s wide bus but it splits (time shares) that bus between the two separate memory pools (560GB/s bursts and 336GB/s bursts) due to the asymmetrical memory setup (further signs of cost cutting), this is far from a sustained 560GB/s memory bandwidth to the GPU! The marginally higher XSX CPU clocks will not mitigate for the dedicated hardware chunks PS5 has implemented. The PS5 has to split it's bandwidth too between all the system and GPU, but the architecture is nowhere as crippled as the XSX in trying to keep all its CU's fed! There re so many other important factors but tiago, badbreath, geordie, toadman, and others have done a good job covering them! Maybe all of these are none issues for the XSX and is more than sufficient to deliver sustained 12TF (I doubt it), time will tell

Also it hasn't been very reassuring that not a single 'independent' developer has come forward to say anything positive about the XSX. As the saying goes 'If you ain't got anything good to say... then don't say anything at all'. Microsoft influenced dev studios don't count

The way Microsoft is hyping their own console is desperate, and attempting to steal PS5's thunder is just plain dirty tactics. Sony has proven whats PS5 really capable of by real gameplay running on real PS5 hardware, but Microsoft has shown nothing to date that is next-gen playing on real XSX hardware... lets see next month. But gotta hand it to MS, they have all their fans and a lot of the media convinced that XSX is the World's Most Powerful Console without proving anything but their PR

And most importantly tbiddy I feel guilty disagreeing with you... cos you got Danny McBride as your pic... I fucking LOVE that guy!!! (#notgay)
RedGamingTech who has a good track record of having inside information especially on next-gen consoles always struggles to find sources from Xbox/Microsoft who will leak him information about the console and the games yet he receives a lot information about the PS5 and its hardware. Even more funny when you realise that he's usually more biased towards Xbox and PC or as Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem puts it, he's an "Xbox Apologist" LOL!

Bo_Hazem

Banned
The huge difference that there is in the LOD, if the photos are ingame and in real time, it is noticeable that AC needs the LOD to resist the I / O on PC, however in HZN 2 the mountains in the background or the details of the central Photovoltaic allows us to distinguish up to a single beam at this distance.

It is sublime what can be done with a good I / O. The LOD was one of the major problems graphically speaking and having fixed it would greatly improve the graphics and immersion in games. I hope that Xbox can also do this without too much clipping and is not a problem for the advancement of video games.

Yup, LOD's also add wasteful size to the game instead of using that extra size for better, high polygon models. Those PC screenshots already look pretty pale in comparison, as PS5 is shocking the industry with what's considered impossible in previous years. Let's not forget that these are the very first batch of games, and HFW is a launch year title!

roops67

RedGamingTech who has a good track record of having inside information especially on next-gen consoles always struggles to find sources from Xbox/Microsoft who will leak him information about the console and the games yet he receives a lot information about the PS5 and it's hardware. Even more funny when you realise that he's usually more biased towards Xbox and PC or as Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem puts it, he's an "Xbox Apologist" LOL!
So true I noticed that too about him, always apologizing that he's got no good news about XSX from devs but wishing he had! Personally I think he's trying his best to keep everyone happy so that they stay subscribed to him, not a bad thing tho :messenger_winking:

T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member
So true I noticed that too about him, always apologizing that he's got no good news about XSX from devs but wishing he had! Personally I think he's trying his best to keep everyone happy so that they stay subscribed to him, not a bad thing tho :messenger_winking:
Oh yeah definitely, I just see it as he's trying to be fair to all sides, I do appreciate the effort he puts into revealing/leaking information especially about the PS5 and he's also cleared misconceptions about the PS5 especially when it comes to things like VRS, Geometry Engine and other stuff. He was also one of the first ones to call bullshit on the PS5 overheating "leaks" which was made up from some hardcore fanboys and caught a lot of attention for some stupid reason, when I say first ones, what I mean is he claimed he had reached out to developers working on PS5 games and they told him they had never experienced overheating issues with the PS5 devkits.

saintjules

Man that took a long time. I remember watching the trailer yesterday (to show my dad) and it could still only do 1080p60. So basically that took almost 2 weeks to finally fully render.
Oh, I was thinking they just replaced the video file under the same link. Possible it took that long too.

Corndog

Banned
Thanks.

Sorry I phrased that poorly.

What I meant to say was I was curious as to why dedicated hardware was needed on the GPU for this process, my guess would have been it can be done from software alone but I don't know much, maybe it's some sort of hardware acceleration.
I can’t remember off the top of my head but that video explains the benefits. I assume they all apply to ps5 as well.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Fresh from the oven, more SSD talk incoming:

PlayStation 5's SSD is boosting speeds without any developer work
The PlayStation 5's blazing-fast SSD is natively boosting load times and gameplay without any developer optimization patches.

Developers don't have to lift a finger to leverage the PS5's ultra-fast 5.5GB/sec PCIe 4.0 SSD, and their games are booting and running incredibly fast without any patches or optimizations.

A few months ago, Mark Cerny said the PlayStation 5's custom 12-channel SSD is so fast that devs may have to make their games run artificially slower so gamers aren't disoriented. This is a pretty crazy claim and for a while we haven't really heard developers talk about the PS5's solid state drive tech. But now devs are starting to chime in, and the claims are pretty huge.

On the PlayStation Blog, Crystal Dynamics' chief technology officer Gary Snethen says developers don't have to lift a finger to get faster speeds on the PS5. By virtue of its specialized flash memory, ultra-fast streaming channels, synergized hardware, and seek-less loading, the console's SSD will natively boost speeds by orders of magnitude faster than the PS4's slow mechanical HDD.

73368_233_playstation-5s-ssd-is-boosting-speeds-without-any-developer-work_full.png

Developers don't have to do anything special to get their games booting up within seconds on PS5. The console simply natively boosts data transfers out of the gate, leading to faster load times, instant fast-travel, tighter frame rates, improved visual performance as more data is blasted to the GPU for rendering, and pretty much everything else.

That means any game that's put into the PS5 will look and play better regardless of it's optimized for the console. This also lines up with Cerny's claims of a dramatically enhanced boost mode that pushes games way past their current-gen state and performance targets.

This is just the start. Things get a lot faster when devs actually optimize their games on PS5.

73368_512_playstation-5s-ssd-is-boosting-speeds-without-any-developer-work_full.png

"Without any optimization work, the loading and streaming of Marvel's Avengers improved by an order of magnitude* on PS5," Snethen said.

"When optimization is complete, loading content will be nearly instant, allowing players to seamlessly jump into missions anywhere in the game world."

"The GPU and CPU improvements on PS5 are exciting, but even more exciting is the introduction of an ultra-high speed SSD with lightning fast load speeds. This is a transformative improvement in consoles that will reduce load times down to one or two seconds and enable real-time streaming of massive worlds at ridiculously fast speeds.

"And as Iron Man flies through content-rich levels, higher resolution textures and mesh will stream in instantly, maintaining the highest possible quality all the way to the horizon."

Mavel's Avengers will be just one of the handful of games that'll leverage the PS5's SSD.

*order of magnitude

noun
  1. a class in a system of classification determined by size, typically in powers of ten.

Last edited:

Corndog

Banned

Series x has over 12 TF. That is not theoretical
The only question for both consoles is how efficient they are. Having more cu’s does not mean less efficient. Every top end gpu gets there by having the most shader cores. And Microsoft have made a lot of custom hardware. It maybe less then Sony. I don’t think we’ll know for sure until each company goes into detail on their hardware.

As for bandwidth, series x is making compromises. But it still has more bandwidth then ps5. If all Microsoft wanted to do was achieve parity with ps5 they would have made a 256 bit bus and then it’s bandwidth would be exactly the same as Sony’s since the ram runs at the same speed.

I guess next month we will find out if these decisions by Microsoft were the correct ones.

Corndog

Banned

The PlayStation 5's blazing-fast SSD is natively boosting load times and gameplay without any developer optimization patches.

Developers don't have to lift a finger to leverage the PS5's ultra-fast 5.5GB/sec PCIe 4.0 SSD, and their games are booting and running incredibly fast without any patches or optimizations.

A few months ago, Mark Cerny said the PlayStation 5's custom 12-channel SSD is so fast that devs may have to make their games run artificially slower so gamers aren't disoriented. This is a pretty crazy claim and for a while we haven't really heard developers talk about the PS5's solid state drive tech. But now devs are starting to chime in, and the claims are pretty huge.

On the PlayStation Blog, Crystal Dynamics' chief technology officer Gary Snethen says developers don't have to lift a finger to get faster speeds on the PS5. By virtue of its specialized flash memory, ultra-fast streaming channels, synergized hardware, and seek-less loading, the console's SSD will natively boost speeds by orders of magnitude faster than the PS4's slow mechanical HDD.

73368_233_playstation-5s-ssd-is-boosting-speeds-without-any-developer-work_full.png

Developers don't have to do anything special to get their games booting up within seconds on PS5. The console simply natively boosts data transfers out of the gate, leading to faster load times, instant fast-travel, tighter frame rates, improved visual performance as more data is blasted to the GPU for rendering, and pretty much everything else.

That means any game that's put into the PS5 will look and play better regardless of it's optimized for the console. This also lines up with Cerny's claims of a dramatically enhanced boost mode that pushes games way past their current-gen state and performance targets.

This is just the start. Things get a lot faster when devs actually optimize their games on PS5.

73368_512_playstation-5s-ssd-is-boosting-speeds-without-any-developer-work_full.png

"Without any optimization work, the loading and streaming of Marvel's Avengers improved by an order of magnitude on PS5," Snethen said.

"When optimization is complete, loading content will be nearly instant, allowing players to seamlessly jump into missions anywhere in the game world."

"The GPU and CPU improvements on PS5 are exciting, but even more exciting is the introduction of an ultra-high speed SSD with lightning fast load speeds. This is a transformative improvement in consoles that will reduce load times down to one or two seconds and enable real-time streaming of massive worlds at ridiculously fast speeds.

"And as Iron Man flies through content-rich levels, higher resolution textures and mesh will stream in instantly, maintaining the highest possible quality all the way to the horizon."

Mavel's Avengers will be just one of the handful of games that'll leverage the PS5's SSD.

Aren’t the specs shown at the bottom of that article a bit misleading? It says ssd up to 9 GB/s and makes no mention of raw speed Being 5.5 GB/s. Also nothing about continuous boost clocks. Would be better to show both raw and compressed ssd specs so people have accurate facts. Oh well.

FeiRR

Banned

That made me laugh really hard. I've suffered through the storyline of both Gears and Halo. You could summarise both on the back of a cornflake box and still have some space left for ingredients. An average Netflix show has a more complicated plot.

"Without any optimization work, the loading and streaming of Marvel's Avengers improved by an order of magnitude* on PS5," Snethen said.

*order of magnitude

noun
  1. a class in a system of classification determined by size, typically in powers of ten.
This is interesting because is coming from a 3rd party dev, from Crystal Dynamics.

Gary Snethen:

"Without any optimization work, the loading and streaming of Marvel's Avengers improved by an order of magnitude on PS5"

10x faster "loading and streaming" without any optimization is huge.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom