• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Entroyp

Sony will not price the PS5 at 449$ It makes no sense. I f they do, MS will also decrease the price of the X to 449$. Both MS and Sony leave 50$ on the table

Sony will price the PS5 at 499$ to reach equilibrium (most probable scenario) or at 549$ if they believe their brand power is sufficient (it is).

399$ for the DE is a bold move. No way a disc-drive is worth 100$. I predict 449$. If there's too great a price difference between the DE and the full fat PS5, people will massivly go for the cheaper version.

I mean, If it was up to me I would want everyone to buy the DE... it will bring way more revenue due to PSN digital sales.

Lng0004

This has always been the strangest logic to me. Many who are interested will absolutely wait on a better price, either via price cut or a BF deal. You think there is something wrong with these individuals?
Well, I think it makes sense if people wait for deals when there are no or few games that interest them. But trying to save $100 by buying an inferior product AT LAUNCH doesn't.

Also, credit card companes are making it very easy to purchase big items now hah. Chase has a new no-interest monthly payment plan where you only have to pay an extra 50c or so a month.

devilNprada

Sony will not price the PS5 at 449$ It makes no sense. I f they do, MS will also decrease the price of the X to 449$. Both MS and Sony leave 50$ on the table

Sony will price the PS5 at 499$ to reach equilibrium (most probable scenario) or at 549$ if they believe their brand power is sufficient (it is).

399$ for the DE is a bold move. No way a disc-drive is worth 100$. I predict 449$. If there's too great a price difference between the DE and the full fat PS5, people will massivly go for the cheaper version.

How you figure the costs are the same?
All their innovation and customization is getting them more bang for the $$, or they could have simply just used the same parts Xbox did.

devilNprada

Well, I think it makes sense if people wait for deals when there are no or few games that interest them. But trying to save $100 by buying an inferior product AT LAUNCH doesn't.

Does this logic also apply to people trying to convince their parents to buy one at launch?

quest

Not Banned from OT
Don't be so salty just because a big studio with a budget of 500kk and 5 years of production couldn't deliver a crossgen game that looked better than one made by a small 14-person studio.
Why would I be salty I'll be playing the game on my ps4 lol. I'm not the one trashing cross generation games. That is the advantage of buying them all I get a chance to play them all. I was just asking people to be consistent.

pixelguy

The absolute insanity around PS5's pricing is reaching new heights. From this, a new philosophical paradox has arised:

Schrödinger's PS5

The PS5 is simultaenously too costly to manufacture and so much worse than the Xbox Series X that
  • it cannot be priced at 399/499 because they would lose too much money
  • It cannot be priced at 449/549 or 499/599 because there's no value to it
This new paradox goes hand in hand with two new paradoxes created by next-gen propaganda and is being added to two existing paradoxes:

The Power Paradox

Which states that a console's power can only be used as an argument depending on how powerful the console is compared to a Sony product
  • The PS5 is underpowered and will hold back the Series X
  • The Series S is fine and will not hold back the Series S
The Speed Paradox

Which states that a console's speed can only be measured if the manufacturer cannot show it
  • Sony showing R&C loading new levels in 2 seconds does not prove virtually no loading screens and that the console is faster than the XSX / XSS
  • Microsoft showing two games taking >10 seconds to load a save does not prove that the console is not slower than the PS5.

giphy.gif

splattered

If microsoft's new dev tools give developers a relatively easy way to downgrade the X1X visual enhancements from 4k 30fps to 1440p 30fps or tweak up to 60fps i guess i could call that a win for the Series S console at $299 as a valid replacement to the One S. Still my one major complaint against this console is that it it doesn't have a disc drive.

sircaw

Banned
Some are skeptical with Godfall, but if it was an XSX exclusive it'll be the best game so far there.

I remember playing world of warcraft, there was an expansion were you had to swim around some areas at the start of it, that reminded me a lot of it.

But yer that game has come on leaps and bounds, really pretty.

Gam3rdude

Get the Series X then?
What’s wrong with wanting your system of choice to be the most powerful ? 🤔
PS4 was more powerful than Xbone last gen at launch.
I won’t get Xbox because Playstation has the best exclusives and honestly I hate the Xbox dashboard design.

Last edited:
Not bad for a "9TF" machine. This will be the show stopper on Wednesday.

The realistic detail in Aloy's face and eyes :messenger_ok:

Pv7-v1.gif

Density of wildlife and beautifully rendered water, a huge step up from last time :messenger_ok:

g2rWse.gif

Improved draw distance with zero fog to obscure the details. Denser foliage and great LOD even into the far distance :messenger_ok:

W9_hqU.gif

This is gext nen. Show me a game that even comes close to this!

Last edited:

Falc67

What’s wrong with wanting your system of choice to be the most powerful ? 🤔
PS4 was more powerful than Xbone last gen at launch.
I won’t get Xbox because Playstation has the best exclusives and honestly I hate the Xbox dashboard design.

PS5 will not get a Flop increase in the next 2 months. It’s pushing 2.23Ghz already.

If you want Flops; Series X is for you. If you care more about the games; then PS5 is for you, but complaining about the Flops, which you’ve known since March?

Neo Blaster

Whilst looking a bit better I still see no shadows sometimes where there should be, in the previous trailers they are there under different lighting conditions, more direct sunlight, but also not there for eg when there's a fire burning youd expect shadows cast, but not to be. Not a lot of environmental movement or destruction either.

I dont think its a surprise this probably won't be featured in the big show coming up, its a smallish team and looks quite fun but its not really pushing the next gen feel outside of metrics.
I think we should at least be happy that a small team can deliver something like this right at the beginning of generation, makes you think what big teams will be able to offer.

ethomaz

Banned
The PCB and RAM cost differences are very likely negligible. I think the reason MS is only going with 16GB is to keep the costs down and comparable to what a 16GB setup with uniform chips would be.

The APU cost differences are unknown. Yes, its a smaller APU, but the APU has to hit much higher clocks and that does impact yields. The end result could be that both APU's are very similar in cost.

I guess my point in the end is that I expect both to be very close in their actual BOM.
The PCB needs additional layers for a 320bits bus compres with 256bits bus... that is the reason nVidia tries do avoid big buses colored with AMD using even the hell expensive PCB for 512bits bus.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom