• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, the clearest indicator to me that we're getting price and release date is that Amazon have removed their landing pages for all Ps5 products. This means that they are preparing to go live with something else. Something substantially different from the initial landing pages, which indicates that they are putting the ordering mechanisms in place. They also take pages down to perform server and site stress tests. I'd imagine they're probably thinking the Ps5 might be quite popular.

I'd be very surprised if we don't get price and release date tonight.
So where is everyone pre-ordering from? I don't know if I can trust my PS5 being shipped directly to me. I'm more leaning on pre-order for in-store pickup at either Gamestop or Best Buy.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Ok, to our beloved xbox fans here, could you guys collect your tears so I can freeze them later and add them to my smoothie, please? Thanks.:messenger_blowing_kiss:

tearcollector11.jpg

4f74hc.jpg

FunkMiller

Gold Member
So where is everyone pre-ordering from? I don't know if I can trust my PS5 being shipped directly to me. I'm more leaning on pre-order for in-store pickup at either Gamestop or Best Buy.

Definitely Amazon for me. If you want the best chance of getting your product when it’s promised to be delivered, you go with the biggest retailer. They delivered both my PS4 and Pro on launch day. No reason to think they won’t this time.

...but I’m going to have a back up with my local Smyths toy store anyway 😋

Hopefully the allergy and immunology place I go to today has good wifi. Damn allergy shots. Hopefully, I'll get home while it's still in the beginning part of the stream.

GAF machine

The yields were initially 50% this would of been when production started, article already mentions yields have since improved and are stabilising. If you want comparison the PS3 had a usuable yield of between 10-20% initially for the CELL.

According to Ken Kutaragi, the initial yields for CELL used in PS3 were at or near 40%:

Do you have any idea of what the yield will be?
I'm not going to give a green light unless we attain a certain yield rate level... As Mr. Masatoshi Shima, who had designed the "4004" chip with Intel once wrote, Intel usually starts with the yield of 40% and then brings it up to 85%. That is a good curve. I believe there is universality in these figures that stands up regardless of time and use. -- Ken Kutaragi

The writer of the source article used for all reporting on the subject of CELL yields issued a clarification (a week after the article was first published) stating that Tom Reeves was speaking in general about processors as large as CELL having yields of 10-20% (not that CELL had yields of 10-20%) and how the implementation of a redundancy strategy could improve yields for large processors like CELL (in the interview he said redundancy could double the yields):

'Clarification
Tom Reeves, IBM’s VP of semiconductor and technology services, said he was not making any specific references to past or current Cell yields in an executive insight interview that ran last week. He was, instead, referring to large die yield challenges in general and the successful leverage provided by logic redundancy strategies. IBM does not release product specific yield information. This clarification was made on July 14, 2006.' -- Electronic News

A year before the Reeves interview, Kutaragi also spoke about using redundancy to achieve desired yields:

"Kutaragi stated earlier that although the Cell microprocessor comes with eight synergistic processor elements (SPEs) for multicore processing, the chip only uses seven of them. Kutaragi explained that ignoring one SPE as a redundancy will improve the chip's production yield and allow costs to drop dramatically. In other words, Sony can ship a Cell chip with one defective SPE (out of its eight) as a working product, since the chip only uses seven SPEs to begin with." -- Gamespot

"This is the ultimate aesthetic. The number of SPEs we equip to the Cell and how many we will actually use are two different things. I wanted to adopt the idea of 'redundancy' to the development of semiconductors. Logic LSIs, excluding memory chips, are considered defective and unshippable if just one transistor or line doesn't work. If the Cell's final chip dimension is about 200 square millimeters, making one without any defects is extremely difficult. We can't reach our anticipated production yield with that. Of course, we'll take various measures to lower the defect density, but that won't be enough. But by considering one or two SPEs as a redundancy from the very beginning, we can still use a Cell chip even if it's partially defective," -- Ken Kutaragi

Initial yields for CELL used in PS3 were ~40%. All reporting that says otherwise is erroneous.

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned
Right my sexy people, think i shall be retiring for a few hours to play some uncharted 4, yep its only been a few months and i still not finished it. FFs

Hope to catch all of you after the show, hope it lives up to the hype and hope all of you have a great evening regardless on which side of the pond your on.

Have a great one everyone and REMEMBER when they announce BLOODBORNE 2, Bo is writing a check for my ps5.

Peace all
Fish rulz :messenger_grinning:

Definitely Amazon for me. If you want the best chance of getting your product when it’s promised to be delivered, you go with the biggest retailer. They delivered both my PS4 and Pro on launch day. No reason to think they won’t this time.

...but I’m going to have a back up with my local Smyths toy store anyway 😋
My girlfriend and I get things all the time from Amazon and we've never had an issue of packages being left outside. With that said, there's something in my gut telling me to not take that chance.

Tripolygon

Banned
Receipts on how that gif was NOT taken as proof for the loading times he suggests.
go and read if you like.
As for "thorough explanation of the loading mechanisms", only insomniac can do that for ratchet.
What we can -and will do- is test, after we receive our new toys.
You're going to have to show me where i said it was taken as proof.

Delpij

Micromania-Zing employees in France calling customers for reservation today (50€ upfront), 4 games at launch, including Spiderman and Demon Soul’s. Rumors of a Demon Soul pack and strong hints at 399/499.

Still think it’ll be higher but happy to be proved wrong!

Last edited:
tripto-whatever posted here in pride that his video of ratchet that he made for me, was posted on b3d.
It was posted, and immediately refuted as proof for the loading times he claims he "frame-counted".
This on itself is an autonomous and self-proven subject, whether you are able to understand it, or not.
As I said, only a developer that has developed a game can give you a "thorough explanation of the loading mechanisms" he used. In ratchet' case, that would be insomniac.
On b3d, various examples of masked loading are given from other, existing games, as if needed to convince some thickheads.
This is still not a receipt. What are the numbers? What is the methodology? Why is your methodology better than his? The burden of proof falls on you as you have given a claim. Do you legwork for once because you are just being lazy by telling others to do the legwork for you.

Gamerguy84

1. It can easily be 37 mins of games
2. I doubt we see UI
3. Price and release date only take 1 min at the end

According to the comments here were getting UI, price, date, games.

Crash Bandiclot 4 demo in PS4 store today.

Last edited:

ps5-diskless at 350 would be veeeeery-very nice
I am still going for the ps5-tumor though

This is still not a receipt. What are the numbers? What is the methodology? Why is your methodology better than his? The burden of proof falls on you as you have given a claim. Do you legwork for once because you are just being lazy by telling others to do the legwork for you.
I have already made my observations about ratchet. in fact I prefer not to reiterate, since some people I like in here have asked me not to.
You are free to look back to the respective topics to read my thesis on what was shown until now.
Lastly, you are not in a position that would enable you to ask anything of me.
especially with this attitude of yours I doubt even if your angel would bring you water.

Last edited:

Tripolygon

Banned
tripto-whatever posted here in pride that his video of ratchet that he made for me, was posted on b3d.
It was posted, and immediately refuted as proof for the loading times he claims he "frame-counted".
This on itself is an autonomous and self-proven subject, whether you are able to understand it, or not.
As I said, only a developer that has developed a game can give you a "thorough explanation of the loading mechanisms" he used. In ratchet' case, that would be insomniac.
On b3d, various examples of masked loading are given from other, existing games, as if needed to convince some thickheads.
Hahahaha.

I was in that thread, majority of people thought R&C loading was impressive, one person said we don't know for sure is not the same as refuting. English may not be your first language but refute means to disprove. Saying you don't know something is not a refute. Talk about thickhead. But I await your receipt that i said it was taken as proof.

Why does anyone think the level only starts loading at that point? Why would it be impossible for it to start loading earlier, when the player is within X game feet of the portal, since that's the only location the player can move to?
Very good question which i think was answered well by Chris1515.
I thought exactly the same. You don't really know where exactly you should start counting frames, as by then the loading may have started already. Accuracy is questionable, but it's a good exercise nonetheless.
I started where he was fully immersed into the portal because that was when you stopped seeing the current level. My original post has all my methods and reasons. For all intents and purposes, game engine never stop loading and unloading stuff in the BG but when a level changes and we see a loading screen is what we usually refer to as loading point.

I have already made my observations about ratchet. in fact I prefer not to reiterate, since some I people I like in here have asked me not to.
You are free to look back to the respective topics to read my thesis on what was shown until now.
Lastly, you are not in a position that would enable you to ask anything of me.
especially with this attitude of yours I doubt even if your angel would bring you water.
Asks people to do something and yet cannot do proper due diligence when he makes a claim and then runs with tail behind his legs when properly challenged.

Last edited:

T-Cake

I can’t help but think you guys are getting carried away with the pricing. Surely digital edition is $499 and disc is $599? It’s not going to make many people switch to Xbox.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom