• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

hemo memo

Gold Member
A quick google would answer your question.
  • Astro's Playroom -- Showcase game for the DualSense, expected to tackle all new features in innovative ways. Source.
  • Avengers -- The developers plan to support features like the Adaptive Triggers (AT) and Haptic Feedback (HF). Source.
  • NBA 2K21 -- AT simulate energy/fatigue and HF highlights collisions. Source.
  • The Pathless -- AT simulate the tension of the bowstring and HF helps with the timing of shots. Source.
  • Marvel's Spider-Man Remastered -- DualSense AT and HF support. Source.
  • Devil May Cry 5 Special Edition -- Supports AT (L2) and HF has different sensations for different weapons. Source.
  • Oddworld: Soulstorm -- AT simulate struggle. Source.
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War -- DualSense HF support. Source.
  • Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales -- HF showcases the Venom powers of Miles. Source.
  • Overcooked! All You Can Eat -- Developers tease DualSense features. Source.
  • Ride 4 -- AT simulate gas and brake levers and HF showcases the vehicle's vibrations. Source.
  • Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart -- AT simulate multiple fire modes in weapons. Source.
  • Nour: Play With Your Food -- The developers plan to support features like the AT and HF. Source.
  • Deathloop -- AT block simulates weapon jam. Source.
  • Ghostwire: Tokyo -- AT simulate recoil and HF offers "textured" nuances. Source.
  • Horizon Forbidden West -- AT is used to differentiate weapons. Source.
  • Demon's Souls -- HF showcases the force of bosses with a well-timed guard, gives feedback in well-timed parries and succesful attacks and spells. Source.
  • Godfall -- DualSense is utilized so the player can differentiate between weapons without looking at the UI and can locate enemies spatially via the controller. Source. More info.
  • Sackboy: A Big Adventure -- AT simulate struggle as Sackboy carries objects. AT also present on the grappling hook. Source.
  • Gran Turismo 7 -- AT simulate ABS braking and HF is integrated with sound design. Source.
  • Hood: Outlaws & Legends -- The developers confirm full use of the HF. Source.
  • Heavenly Bodies -- Not gonna lie, it has a lot of things related to the DualSense, please give it a look. (Looks fun too!) Source.
  • Goodbye Volcano High -- HF conveys the difficulty of some decisions being made. Source.
  • Jett: The Far Shore -- The developers said the game has a strong focus on haptics. They don't disclose features yet. Source.
  • Solar Ash -- The developers said the DualSense could give feedback they had not known was possible. They don't disclose features yet. Source.
  • Bugsnax -- The developers promise the full use of DualSense features and say they are exploring multisensorial feedback, cites example of changes in terrain via HF. Source.
  • Maneater -- DualSense controller support. Source.
  • DiRT 5 -- DualSense controller support. Source.
  • Madden 21 -- DualSense HF support. Source.
  • FIFA 21 -- DualSense HF support. Source.
  • Returnal -- AT switch between firing modes, supports HF. Source.
  • Watch Dogs: Legion -- DualSense HF and AT support. Source. Source.
  • Destruction AllStars -- AT gives different feedback for each car and HF simulates the impact of ramming. Source.
  • Rock Band 4 -- Supports DualSense's microphone for singing. Source. (Thanks @mreddie )
  • MXGP 2020 -- DualSense controller support. Source. (Thanks @xextil )
  • Immortals Fenyx Rising -- DualSense HF support. Source. (Thanks @xextil )
  • No Man's Sky -- DualSense controller support. Source. (Thanks @SolidSnakex )
  • Praey for the Gods -- DualSense controller support. Source. (Thanks @xextil )

First party games and “plans” and “promises”. Hmm where did we hear this before? Oh only for every gimmick introduced in every video game console ever. Is this your first new gen or something? lol

Last edited:
T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member
RGT discussing RT on Demon Souls, a few of our fellow Gaffers like Dodkrake Dodkrake were also seen in the video lol

Interesting comments from RGT which also mirror what I said earlier, the first wave of games for either console won't be pushing the hardware or leveraging new features like ray tracing and even the Geometry Engine on the PS5, when developers have become more familiar with the hardware and spent more time with it they'll understand the feature sets much better and how the could implement them into the games. An issue he mentioned was that it was harder for Microsoft/Series X especially since the development kits were sent out quite late, might explain why we've seen so little from the Microsoft first parties.

Timestampped link

Something that has been bugging me the last few days and how the term of full rdna2 was announced on the xbox Twitter.

We all know that custom engineering basically means taking an existing part, modifying it or exchanging it for one that is better or more useful to/for that particular machine. You don't remove a standard feature to put a worse working part in.

So by all metrics, sony replaced a part of the standard Rdna2 and superseded it with their own version. so by all metrics, Sony's hardware is better or more evolved as they don't have the restrictions of direct x or the pc to compete against.

I almost feel like it's shady when Microsoft uses the term full r2dna as they are basically trying to say, we are better than sony's because they are not using the word, Full, R2DN2, at the same time they know sony's has custom engineering but are not declaring it

Microsoft is banking on people not understanding or taking information at face value.

Is this Clever marketing by Microsoft or just another long line of being rather shady.

I always feel dirty when listening to Microsoft Pr, they are extremely clever and masters of it.

Would love to hear other peoples thought's here please.
in one of my posts, i have already pointed out the tricky wording in the article. it is shady PR. but they have every right to do so.

RxyqQCE.jpg

LOL

awe Tom, “Thou shalt not bear false witness”

I wouldn't know. I studied film production and have experience in audio, moving, editing but won't lie and say I'm an audio expert that can vouch for Jez in this instance. Sounds too good to be true but then again why lie about something everyone will see for themselves in a few days

we have seen many fake insiders lied. what happened to them? there is little to none cost to lying on the internet.

let it be. i don't fking care anymore. just two more weeks!

I’d be pleasantly surprised if it wasn’t 2.1. But it does look that way, in gamespot recent video Lucy James said series s cable says fast hdmi and series x hdmi says ultra fast hdmi meaning one could be 2.0 and the other could be 2.1. On the ps5 she said it read fast hdmi, so perhaps it’s just 2.0 or incorrect wording?

I’d be pleasantly surprised if it wasn’t 2.1. But it does look that way, in gamespot recent video Lucy James said series s cable says fast hdmi and series x hdmi says ultra fast hdmi meaning one could be 2.0 and the other could be 2.1. On the ps5 she said it read fast hdmi, so perhaps it’s just 2.0 or incorrect wording?

we will know soon. it doesn't bother me now because i don't have 4k 120hz tv (yet, eyeing 900H). someone can easily test dirk 5 on ps5 and verify.

Rudius

PS5 versions of Hitman 3 and No Man's Sky will not work via PS VR

This sucks tremendously. I hope they at least employ dinamic resolution in order to benefit from PS5 boost mode.

Last edited:
"It will take a while" this is from the man who has PS5 and a XSX it shows that there's no difference in performance. On other thoughts how long do you guys think it'll take for the power difference between the 3070 and 3090 to show?

Let me put it this way. He's probably gaming on the system like most of us would. He's probably not using any specialized equipment to study the differences between the two systems. In the end it's possible that to the average consumer multiplats will look the same. However differences will be pointed out by Digital Foundry and we need to ask if regular consumers will also noticed then.

duhmetree

RGT discussing RT on Demon Souls, a few of our fellow Gaffers like Dodkrake Dodkrake were also seen in the video lol

Interesting comments from RGT which also mirror what I said earlier, the first wave of games for either console won't be pushing the hardware or leveraging new features like ray tracing and even the Geometry Engine on the PS5, when developers have become more familiar with the hardware and spent more time with it they'll understand the feature sets much better and how the could implement them into the games. An issue he mentioned was that it was harder for Microsoft/Series X especially since the development kits were sent out quite late, might explain why we've seen so little from the Microsoft first parties.

Timestampped link

It looks like Demon Souls has Global illumination, doesn't it>? OR am I buggin? It's evident in the part where they're in that tunnel.

Last edited:

Yoboman

I never knew gamers put that much weight into next gen based on a controller.
Nintendo literally won a generation based on an awesome controller concept (Wii) and have arguably reached that again (Switch) though its harder to argue them winning generations these days

Not to say Dualsense is anything as good or forward thinking as Wii, but it does show the controller experience is important

Loxus

Why does he say full RDNA 2.0 like there's a RDNA 1.5?
Does the XBSX has Infinity Cache?
Pretty much sure it doesn't but it's still RDNA 2.

From what I understand, Microsoft is just talking about DirectX 12 Ultimate Features, which will not come to PS5 as PS5 will use it's own API.
When Microsoft say full RDNA 2, they really mean RDNA 2 with DirectX 12 Ultimate support to smartly try to one up Sony with PR.

-DirectX Raytracing,
-DirectML
-DirectStorage
-Variable Rate Shading,
-Mesh Shaders,
-Sampler Feedback.
Are all Microsoft API Features and has nothing to do with how full RDNA 2 a GPU is.
fiSqvJ8.png

The only thing about RDNA 2 is it has support for Microsoft API DirectX 12 Ultimate.
AMD has there own features if you don't want to use Microsoft's called AMD FidelityFX and have they own version of VRS called
FidelityFX Variable Shading.
Fa8bhnY.png

Even NVidia has support for DirectX 12 Ultimate.
gjxu9tJ.png

Yoboman

It won't Even surprise me tbh, MS always been just following Sony's path, Forza was created only to counter GT, then they tried to created an uncharted like when they see the success of the franchise but didn't work out so they bought TR2 time exclusivity, and with gow hype and success now it wouldn't surprise me they want to make another ryse which is the closest thing to Gow they own.
That was my thought

Ryse 2 could be a lot better not being a launch game and not starting as a Kinect game. But they'd be better cutting their losses and doing a new IP if they want a GOW competitor

Dibils2k

ElrO6dYXEAAm6ZC

People seem to think John here is cleverly working his way around the embargo and saying the PS5 is silent? What do we think?
look at the size of the thing, it would be a travesty if it wasnt silent 😆

i cant wait to look forward to Sony exclusives without fear of the jet engines on the back of my mind

might actually start getting some 3rd party games on it too if heptic shit is actually cool to me

i cant wait to look forward to Sony exclusives without fear of the jet engines on the back of my mind

might actually start getting some 3rd party games on it too if heptic shit is actually cool to me

i hope PC can support the haptic feedback if it is as good as it sounds. if not, ya, same, i may start playing multiplats on PS5 instead.

kyliethicc

Now the new conversation is that the PS5 does not come with an HDMI 2.1 cable.
It probably isn't. Sony only call it an "HDMI cable" and I read that Ultra High Speed HDMI cables (2.1) certified by the HDMI Forum only began being made this year. If it were Ultra High Speed (2.1) they'd probably have said so by now.

If you can afford a HDMI 2.1 TV, you can afford a cable. Guaranteed PS5 will be capable of 4K60 out the box, so it'll be fine.

It's probably just "High Speed HDMI" (2.0) cable in box. I could see Sony wanting to cheap out on just using 2.0 cables in box because very few customers have 2.1 TVs. But we shall see.

kyliethicc

First party games and “plans” and “promises”. Hmm where did we hear this before? Oh only for every gimmick introduced in every video game console ever. Is this your first new gen or something? lol
You do realize the DualSense haptics are the equivalent of DualShock 4 rumble? Meaning 3rd party devs will support it.

Every PS4 game has rumble in the controller. Every PS5 game will too, and now the controller has better haptic feedback.

Even the NBA2K devs have said they're using the adaptive triggers to indicate player stamina via trigger resistance.

Thats one of the top 5 best selling (and 3rd party) games every single year already supporting the DualSense.

NEbeast

"Haptic vibration also works with PS4 retro-compatible games"

"We have had the opportunity to play some PS4 retro-compatible titles. Those games can be played with our Dualshock in the traditional way, but if we play with the Dualsense controller we will also benefit from some specific hardware improvements. We’ve been struck by how haptic vibration works in a game like The Last of Us Part II. Not only do we get a feel for it when we ride, right at the start of the game, but we can even feel the vibration with some guitar chords that sound like a soundtrack.

This is because the Dualsense controller uses the audio tracks as a source to trigger the vibration. But don’t panic, this doesn’t mean that every time music is played our controller vibrates, but rather that it is activated at relevant moments in the game, when music plays an important role. As we have said above, the case of the guitar chords (in a soundtrack composed by Gustavo Santaolalla)."

This could be all the recent patches games have been getting.

Nickolaidas

Banned

I think 3rd party games which look 97% identical between the two consoles and supporting haptic feedback on the pS5 should be a no-brainer.

That looks to be from March. Maybe he knows better now.

Back in March we barely saw anything from Sony yet except the Road to PS5 event. Now that the system is in multiple hands and people are playing games on it maybe his opinion had changed due to that.

Not saying that he doesn't believe the XSX will be the most powerful but the PS5 isn't an underpowered piece of crap that people like the Blue guy were selling.

Zadom

The curved plates of PS5 are interesting. Are they only for aesthetics or do they have a purpose. I look at my PS4 with game cases and disks stacked on top. Is it unhealthy for the system to have things stacked on it? I’m sure if you stack your cable box etc. on it, that can’t be ideal.
fWVxpUj.jpg

(not my PS4)

Why all the salt? 🧂😭

💙💙💙💙
Silent, true next gen experience controller, lightning fast next gen SSD and I/O, best first party Studios(imho), solid launch line up(imho) and no dead weight base console to weight it down.
💙💙💙💙

Last edited:
Who are these clowns and why the fuck did they use a PlayStation 5 game for this photo? I can't :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Quick question. The only advantage with 2.1 is 4K 120FPS correct? And the 2.0 cable allows 4K 60FPs correct?

With that said unless your screen supports 4K 120FPs you should be fine with the PS5s cable. Also not alot of games will support 4K 120FPs so that cable should be fine for most games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom