• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

HAL-01

Dark Souls, Fall Guys, and Mario Kart are the most stressful games you can play

Is this like a bot? Every single one of their posts is a link to that Nintendo site, what gives

JonkyDonk

Yeah really pissed me when Richard was being skeptical, I wouldn't have minded had he shown the same level of skepticism towards Series X claims but instead they were sucking Microsoft's dick.

But my my how the tables have flipped upside compared to 8 months ago.
I think Richard was annoyed that Cerny pretty much gave him homework when they talked after the Road to PS5 thing. I think it was with regards to the variable frequency stuff when Cerny recommended some extra reading for Richard to fully understand the concept, and I think Richard responded by doing that benchmark using a RDNA 1 GPU (specifically clocked to ~9tf by the way) in order to disprove Cerny's claims about clock frequency versus CUs. The whole thing felt really petty and awkward.

jamwest24

It surprises me that people are surprised by this. I always expected that PS5 will probably have a CPU advantage because of the amount of extra custom silicon in there for the I/O that lessens the load on CPU. I got the sense that Richard at DF was immediately dismissive of Cerny's claims in that presentation, but most of the evidence we have seen so far has backed up Cerny.

Yeah, it’s almost like they thought Cerny wasn’t being completely honest or over-promising? But his whole presentation was quite reserved, and if anything he underpromised. This just continues to show how much Sony learned from the PS3 era. Even after having crazy success with PS4, they continue to be honest or even reserved in many ways. I love Jim Ryan’s “let the games do the talking” approach. While Microsoft seem to take an old, almost PS3 approach, to try to overhype and almost be borderline deceptive about their system and games.

JonkyDonk

Still waiting for 19 release of PS5 here.... but from what i`ve been reading/seeing.

- Performance is better than expected;
- Dualsense is freaking good;
- Games looks amazing;
- UI is great;
- BC works well and you have 20 free games with PS+.

At this point does it matter which console is the most powerfull?
It never mattered. PS5 was always going to be a good platform to own just for its exclusives.

I keep saying this but if having the best resolution/fps matters a lot to someone, they should go with PC. Two consoles being released at the same time, same price, same power consumption can only be so different in performance.

MistBreeze

Still waiting for 19 release of PS5 here.... but from what i`ve been reading/seeing.

- Performance is better than expected;
- Dualsense is freaking good;
- Games looks amazing;
- UI is great;
- BC works well and you have 20 free games with PS+.

At this point does it matter which console is the most powerfull?

No it does not matter and besides it was always about buying the console with the games you want and ecosystem you like

Lysandros

It surprises me that people are surprised by this. I always expected that PS5 will probably have a CPU advantage because of the amount of extra custom silicon in there for the I/O that lessens the load on CPU. I got the sense that Richard at DF was immediately dismissive of Cerny's claims in that presentation, but most of the evidence we have seen so far has backed up Cerny.
Dismissiveness of any advantage related to Playstation hardware is their trademark and this is a long lasting tradition. So that's understandable and commending.

Last edited:
Japanese analysts say that PS5 and Xbox Series may be the last gaming devices from Sony and Microsoft

JonkyDonk

Dismissiveness of any advantage related to Playstation hardware is their trademark and this is a long lasting tradition. So that's understandable and commending.
I don't know if that's necessarily the case, but some of their videos this year didn't sit well with me. I hope that Richard spends some time investigating the subtle nuances of both consoles now that they are out and gives an updated review of the specs at some point.

Lysandros

I don't know if that's necessarily the case, but some of their videos this year didn't sit well with me. I hope that Richard spends some time investigating the subtle nuances of both consoles now that they are out and gives an updated review of the specs at some point.
Richard is too old for field investigation, he usually sends his apprentices for it.

Were there ever any plans to bring the UE5 demo to the PS5 publicly? That'd be dope to see IRL
I think it was supposed to be playable at GDC but you know, things got cancelled. They even mentioned that the flight scene was supposed to be playable but they changed it to be on rails because they were afraid people would be able to fly outside the playing zone and crash the console.

THEAP99

Banned
What's your audio setup?
Hyper x cloud alpha. The 3d audio is supposed to be good with any headset so I am not sure what's going on.. I've tried many different games and all of them the 3d audio sounds muffled when enabled. Like it sounds like the surround sound is better, coming from above and below me.. but it's just not clear so it's worthless. I disable it and everything sounds good like it did on my ps4 or pc

JonkyDonk

Hyper x cloud alpha. The 3d audio is supposed to be good with any headset so I am not sure what's going on.. I've tried many different games and all of them the 3d audio sounds muffled when enabled. Like it sounds like the surround sound is better, coming from above and below me.. but it's just not clear so it's worthless. I disable it and everything sounds good like it did on my ps4 or pc
Did you try the different 3D audio profiles? Because it depends on each person's ear shape and they have like 5 different presets for that.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

Not 100% sure on this so dont hold it against if I am wrong.

But I think the 3D audio really only works great over wireless and not plugged into the controller.

I think I read that somewhere or possibly even dreamt it :)

Edit- Found my source its a video I had saved reviewing the Pulse headsets and they claim the 3D works best using wireless

Last edited:

Dolomite

Yeah those should be solid headphones. Wierd

Dolomite

I think it was supposed to be playable at GDC but you know, things got cancelled. They even mentioned that the flight scene was supposed to be playable but they changed it to be on rails because they were afraid people would be able to fly outside the playing zone and crash the console.
I do remember hearing that! Epic should release it on EGS or over it as a perk on PS+ for launch console enthusiast

reksveks

im actually talking about Alex Betaglia or whatever, he posted on twitter saying he already finished doing the comparative, and that was like 2 days ago, what are they waiting?, DF usually has something the same launch day of a game, but idk... maybe we are just pushing them too hard.... im just really curious to see how these 2 consoles perform head to head...

The ubisoft next gen patches only got released on Friday for next gen and the comparison he was referring to was pc vs xsx, he mentioned it about a week ago. Stop crrao weird and complicated explanations where simple ones would do.

Loxus

I don't see that in the hotchip I see something else.

202008180220211.jpg

579976-hardware-accelerated-raytracing-1920x500.jpg

REFERENCIA:

isscc2020-rdna-wgp.png

isscc2020-wgp-vs-cu-gnc-rdna.png

Textures Unit SX= 2 Texture filters Units + 8 Texture Mapping
Raytrace Acel SX = 2 Textures filters Units + 8 textures Mapping calculate RT ( I dont thing how)

RDNA2 RT acel mayby same Textures Filters Units + 8 Texture mapping + RT accel

RT accel = Clock per CU controller. Variable Clock per CU (like Mat). RT accel can not do calc itseft because is very small (is not RT hardware Nvidia) is only a clock controller but very important, when CU calc RT you dont need FP32 maybe FP16 is enough. Due to this CU can go up and accel clock to calculate RT. Is very intelligent, but less efficent than Nvidia. But good for consoles is cheap and good control for another things.

Maybe MS could not access the variable clock technology because it is a technology that has come out of collaboration with sony so they had to spend silicon to be able to perform the same calculations due to the fixed clocks.

However, until the whitter paper comes out, we won't know anything.

NVIDIA-Ampere-SM-Core2.png

RT core is so big on nvidia that it led me to think that the RT accelerator is just a CLock control unit for each CU depending on the task to be performed.
Ok, from my understanding.
It looks like a Textures Mapping Unit is replaced a Ray Accelerator on the XBSX.
While on RDNA 2, the Texture Mapping Unit is life untouched and a Ray Accelerator is added.
So the XBSX probably has 3 Texture Mapping Units and 1 Ray Accelerator per CU.

In the first diagram, it says "4 Texture or Ray ops/clk pre CU"
The 'or' makes it sound like a Texture Mapping Units can be a Ray Accelerator if needed.
Or a Ray Accelerator is added within the area with the Texture Mapping Units.

The XBSX is hard to pinpoint because the diagram is saying it has 1 Texture Mapping Units and 1 Ray Accelerators per CU.
But text says "4 Texture or Ray ops/clk pre CU"

On the PS5, Cerny says -
"While the Intersection Engine is processing the requested ray triangle or ray box intersections the shaders are free to do other work."
Which is inline with RDNA 2 adding a single Ray Accelerator per CU.

And going by what Cerny said - "Using the same strategy as AMD's upcoming PC GPUs."
"The CUs contain a new specialized unit called the Intersection Engine which can calculate the intersection of rays with boxes and triangles."
The PS5 should have 4 Texture Mapping Units and 1 Ray Accelerators per CU.
So, the PS5 like RDNA 2 GPUs, have a dedicated Unit for Ray Tracing.

This is just my speculation btw.
Also, to be clear.
The XBSX Ray Accelerator looks to be located within the area where the Textures Mapping Unit is located.
While in RDNA 2, the Ray Accelerator is a new Unit.

thelastword

Banned
It appears that John has the same esteem for the PS5 hardware as Alex and Richard. That's a bit disappointing. Really, 'Tools. That's it'?.. This is where your technical insight ends?.. Did/do you expect the XSX to outperform PS5 significantly just like your collegues?..

Edit: A revaluation of his persona is in order it seems.
It was always you guys who thought he was different, Myself and Demigod have seen it for ages....

Lysandros

It was always you guys who thought he was different, Myself and Demigod have seen it for ages....
You are slightly mistaken, if you consider my post history you can easily see that i am not of those guys. I am only being a little sarcastic here. :) 👍

Edit: To clarify, i know that he was much more a Sega Saturn guy, just like Richard and despite liking Playstation games in general, he never had a particular fondness for sony console hardware (by his own words for PS1 for example).

Last edited:
Why is Sackboy: A Big Adventure a unique platformer for PS5?

Bill O'Rights Bill O'Rights is this person a bot?

No idea if news bots are allowed on this site.

Dibils2k

It never mattered. PS5 was always going to be a good platform to own just for its exclusives.

I keep saying this but if having the best resolution/fps matters a lot to someone, they should go with PC. Two consoles being released at the same time, same price, same power consumption can only be so different in performance.
i would never recommend this blindly, PC gaming is totally different experience to console gaming

Dibils2k

It appears that John has the same esteem for the PS5 hardware as Alex and Richard. That's a bit disappointing. Really, 'Tools. That's it'?.. This is where your technical insight ends?.. Did/do you expect the XSX to outperform PS5 significantly just like your collegues?..

Edit: A revaluation of his persona is in order it seems.
its based on what devs have told him though... its not a random guesswork

THEAP99

Banned
Did you try the different 3D audio profiles? Because it depends on each person's ear shape and they have like 5 different presets for that.

Yep

But I think the 3D audio really only works great over wireless and not plugged into the controller.

Edit- Found my source its a video I had saved reviewing the Pulse headsets and they claim the 3D works best using wireless

Interesting.. seems like the pulses are out of stock everywhere. I will maybe consider getting those or the arctis 7p at some point soon to try it and see if the 3d audio is better wirelessly.. and if they do sound clear with 3d audio but not much improved over my typical stereo I'll return them. Or keep them if it's worth it..

That's honestly so weird.. I'm not the biggest fan of wireless. I would have thought wired is better since it's a straight connection?

jamwest24

Was your source the IGN video? I believe that’s in regard to the Pulse 3D headphones. And if I had to guess, it’s because the Pulse headphones uses the 3.5mm jack from the controller to power the headphones when they’re low. If I had to guess, they don’t sound as good that way because I bet the controller doesn’t have enough battery/DAC to power all the drivers and all the DualSense functions simultaneously, so it probably defaults to a more simplified sound. I think in-ears that don’t require much of a DAC or power should handle and sound fine with the 3D audio setup, whereas larger cans without their own battery might not.

JonkyDonk

Because just because you care about fidelity and performance doesn't mean you're going to like PC gaming
Those are the biggest reasons to like PC gaming. It just comes down to how much you care. If you care enough to constantly war about multiplat differences between the consoles, then you should just buy a PC and stop splitting hairs between two very similar consoles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom