• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rea

I really think xbox is dead, they're even losing their only 1 advantage which is more powerful GPU than PS5. But it turns out PS5 is performing better. This generation Xbox's only savior is gamepass and they need to pump out tons of AAA games from their 1st party to keep xbox alive. PS5 demand is Too high even without these comparisons and now when people know that ps5 is more powerful, then lord save me for securing one ps5 next year.
"lollipop_disappointed:
Ps. sircaw sircaw Let me steal your emote.

dirt5-1.png

WholeDeterminedBlackwidowspider-small.gif
Henry Goat

I really think xbox is dead, they're even losing their only 1 advantage which is more powerful GPU than PS5. But it turns out PS5 is performing better. This generation Xbox's only savior is gamepass and they need to pump out tons of AAA games from their 1st party to keep xbox alive. PS5 demand is Too high even without these comparisons and now when people know that ps5 is more powerful, then lord save me for securing one ps5 next year.
"lollipop_disappointed:
Ps. sircaw sircaw Let me steal your emote.
ya, while I'm happy i have been right all along. I'm also worried that Sony may get cocky after this gen. Please remain humble, Mr. Cerny. And Phil, get the shit together and put up some real competition not just talking!

There is something very wrong with those "Xbox Series X enhanced" games.

Except for the lack of raytracing Whatchdogs looks better on Xbox One X than Xbox Series X.

I took the following pics, and the aliasing and blurrines on the Series X makes no sense.

Xbox One X

tMA6JdT.jpg

Xbox Series X

8pwpXz0.jpg

The Xbox series X, just looks lower resolution and more jaggied than the Xbox One X, it makes no fucking sense.

unknown.png

unknown.png
VRS in action possibly. Lower res on specific objects in the scene.

Yes, I thought first it was checkerboarding being just not good enough, yet again you see the full glory of those graphics and what they are meant to be on PS5 now! That combined with PS5's new image reconstruction will make things pretty hard for DF to count resolution on 1st party games. I see those artifacts in most of PS4 Pro most demanding 1st party games. Now it's crystal clear on PS5! Crazy.
oh ya, I've been having a blast playing GoW and Days Gone on PS5. Sony is very much in Japanese style when marketing this time around. they lay low and then surprise everyone.

MastaKiiLA

Launch comparisons are certainly not going the way of the XSX. Quite peculiar, and I'm someone who believed there would be parity. I just didn't expect the PS5 would hold the edge in the close comparisons. I think there is something to be said for the Xbox GDK being a bit behind. However, PS5 kits aren't in their final form either. All devs and manufacturers have suffered the same during the pandemic. These are 3rd party teams that just seem to be getting more out of the PS5 than the XSX at present, or at least not showing any deficiencies on the PS5 platform that some gamers expected there to be.

In the end, I was getting a PS5 anyway. My mind wasn't going to change regardless. However, it would be nice to see the PS5 continue to enjoy parity/edge in multiplatform titles, as it would make it the best place to get first party titles, and the few third party games that I enjoy. Between launch unit supply, and dev kit quality, it appears that Sony was much better prepared to launch this holiday than MS. I imagine things would have been even better were it not for 2020 being a complete shitshow on all fronts.

FrankWza

So much excuses for the SX version from DF. Strange how they don’t apply for the better looking and performing PS5 version. Whatever struggle and limitations developers had during these months is the same for PS5 too. Yet here we are.

they did us a favor. The non-believers would have jumped on the bandwagon and it would have been even harder to secure a preorder. Thanks DF! Good thing for those embargoes that were met with skepticism by a certain few ;)

Ptarmiganx2

To all those people who have to wait till feb/march next year to get their PS5s, bad news, looks like the delay could get even longer as i expect demand to go through the roof now, when people see that even 3rd party is better on PS5
I liked your comment, but I’m one of those people waiting! To make matters worse my wife’s PS5 arrives on the 24th. She came home with the pulse 3D and her media remote the other day. Rubbing it in....

Problem is with memory speeds.
Xbox has 10 GB 500gb/s + 6 gb 300 gb/s main memory/unified VRAM
PS5 has simple 16 gb 440 gb/s.

so xbox design is inherently stupid and PS5 will be superior in most cases.

There could be a number of reasons for the issues, we just don not know.

I do wonder if the CPU may be a factor, Cerny had said the IO had been created to remove bottlenecks. Do we know if the XSX requires more CPU resources to get the same work done.

paypay88

Banned
There could be a number of reasons for the issues, we just don not know.

I do wonder if the CPU may be a factor, Cerny had said the IO had been created to remove bottlenecks. Do we know if the XSX requires more CPU resources to get the same work done.
This is rendering issue, nothing on this cross gen does even come close to maxing out any CPU here.
XSX rendering pipeline needs special consideration to keep up , beside some 1st parties who optimize for 2 devices(series-s-x) nobody will care.

Nice console they made.

This is rendering issue, nothing on this cross gen does even come close to maxing out any CPU here.
XSX rendering pipeline needs special consideration to keep up , beside some 1st parties who optimize for 2 devices(series-s-x) nobody will care.

Nice console they made.
120fps mode does tend to be CPU bound. But i think ps5 is simply more efficient with everything. I'm a smartshift believer. i think the design choice has paid off.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Don't believe this BS

This looks like something a third grader could've typed up.

Also, that same guy posted this FUS

Its pretty widely known the xbox kits were fairly far behind the PS5 kits even to the point one of the Xbox media guys (I think Tom Warren, could be wrong though) even Tweeted something along the lines Xbox was holding them back intentionally to "surprise" Sony.

I personally am not saying this is the reason why PS5 is performing better right now but I do believe it does come down to a matter of bake time on these games.

FrankWza

Its pretty widely known the xbox kits were fairly far behind the PS5 kits even to the point one of the Xbox media guys (I think Tom Warren, could be wrong though) even Tweeted something along the lines Xbox was holding them back intentionally to "surprise" Sony.

I personally am not saying this is the reason why PS5 is performing better right now but I do believe it does come down to a matter of bake time on these games.

what does this mean for the comments from devs that the PS5 was easy to work with? Also, will the ease of use scale with time and experience for both or will x be able to make a significant jump even if devs continue familiarity with both consoles?
Edit: if it is true

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Surprising them by showing worse results? :pie_thinking: MicroSoft are weird.

THEAP99

Banned

Well won't ps5 tools also improve overtime as well? Or is this just truly a temporary win as some indicate & the power of the series x will win later?

Zheph

Full game mode the last 2 days, it has been a blast... absolutely loved the PS5 launch. AC:V is pretty good, DeS is fantastic, got my platinum trophy on Astro already (adorable game) and most important... WISHLISTED FFXVI!

But what's going on? I'm only out and another W with Dirt 5? It's indeed a cold winter for many 🥶

Last edited:
Wait is that why we’ve been seeing those little artifacts when zooming in on a checkerboard rendered image? If the hardware’s faster than the PS4 Pro when it comes to outputting a 4K image every frame, you wouldn’t see artifacts would you?

9xB1s4S.jpg

a5dFWza.jpg

I’m just trying to understand the difference between temporal upsampling and checkerboarded rendering here, cause with CB rendering, DF were able to tell what the native resolution was in certain instances (Ghost of Tsushima 2018 E3 demo). But with the UE5 demo, the output was always 4K even though it was natively rendering at 1440p most of the time but they said they couldn’t even find any signs of upsampling and that it looks exactly like a native 4K output.
What I understand is that both CB and temporal reconstruction use some process to guess the missing pixels of a 4K picture (as they don’t render it native). They know it’s not 4K because some of those guessed pixels are really obvious when you zoom. The UE5 demo thing was that the engine guessed the pixels so good that DF couldn’t tell they were guessed or not, making pixel counting kinda useless (they knew it was 1440p only because Epic told them). That’s what I understand, I might be wrong.

On Demand

Banned

I wouldn’t use tom fanboy warren as a source for anything.

And no the Xbox dev kits being behind is not known or accepted. In fact it was said that MS was the one who was ahead of Sony with next gen development. Ever since they announced SX way back at the game awards and people started to get hands on with the console we’ve been hearing how Sony is scrambling with PS5 and it’s not ready. Caught off guard last minute over clock overheated consoles.

Now all of a sudden things aren’t going the way people expected it’s Sony who was always ahead of everything, developers got dev kits early, PS5 was suppose to launch in 2019......ok.

Sometimes you just have to take a step back and see everything for what it is.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I wouldn’t use tom fanboy warren as a source for anything.

And no the Xbox dev kits being behind is not known or accepted. In fact it was said that MS was the one who was ahead of Sony with next gen development. Ever since they announced SX way back at the game awards and people started to get hands on with the console we’ve been hearing how Sony is scrambling with PS5 and it’s not ready. Caught off guard last minute over clock overheated consoles.

Now all of a sudden things aren’t going the way people expected it’s Sony who was always ahead of everything, developers got dev kits early, PS5 was suppose to launch in 2019......ok.

Sometimes you just have to take a step back and see everything for what it is.

First off I meant that referring to Tom Warren as a fanboy trying to surprise Sony with their power as he was just making an excuse.

Its 100% known the Xbox kits were behind getting them to a lot of Devs and PS5 kits were out the door earlier.

I can not address the Sony launching in 2019 rumor as I have not heard anything concrete that was ever the actual plan.

How many people all along screamed TFs dont matter near as much as many people thought this time?

I do not know what DF meant when they mentioned their surprises but I can assure you I had a couple of weeks before launch PS5 was performing better in head to head matchups

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom