• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

inflation

I think they used 120FPS mode assets
O7KTvYy.jpg
Press F to Pay Respect

On Demand

Banned
First off I meant that referring to Tom Warren as a fanboy trying to surprise Sony with their power as he was just making an excuse.

Its 100% known the Xbox kits were behind getting them to a lot of Devs and PS5 kist were out the door earlier.

I can not address the Sony launching in 2019 rumor as I have not heard anything concrete that was ever the actual plan.

How many people all along screamed TFs dont matter near as much as many people thought this time?

I do not know what DF meant when they mentioned their surprises but I can assure you I had a couple of weeks before launch PS5 was performing better in head to head matchups

PS5 performing better is what it is. That’s the reality we can see. I don’t believe any of this Xbox kits were late stuff until I hear it from a developer themselves. And even if that were true that doesn’t automatically mean games will perform worse because of it. As the Dirt 5 developer said SX dev kits and tools aren’t a problem at all.

RaZoR No1

It seems like, to use an external HDD on the PS5 and/or be able to play any PS4 games on a PS5, we need to download the first system update 😅

Btw: wtf is going on with the XSX? Where is all of the power? Maybe Sony used the marketing money to money hat the first row of games to have better performance and cripple XSX games... 😅

assurdum

Banned
There is something very wrong with those "Xbox Series X enhanced" games.

Except for the lack of raytracing Whatchdogs looks better on Xbox One X than Xbox Series X.

I took the following pics, and the aliasing and blurrines on the Series X makes no sense.

Xbox One X

tMA6JdT.jpg

Xbox Series X

8pwpXz0.jpg

The Xbox series X, just looks lower resolution and more jaggied than the Xbox One X, it makes no fucking sense.

unknown.png

unknown.png
Raytracing costs. Probably it runs at higher res on Xbox one X.

Kerlurk

Banned
Yea they were complaining about it today.

VP9 is very processor intensive to encode, and the reason why Nvidia/AMD encoders on their latest GPU's only encode up to H.265/HEVC, but YouTube accepts videos via H.264/AVC which they list in their videos as AVC1 via Stats for Nerds.

Here we are in 2020, and H.265 is still not standard, even though so much hardware now supports native encoding/decoding of that standard.

Part of the problem, is that not every device has native H.265 decoding, and it's for that reason, YouTube plays it safe, and continues to provide only H.264 on uploads.

So YouTube probably has a massive backlog of videos to encode in VP9, and that takes a lot of time.

Who knows how much silicon real-estate it would take on a GPU to encode VP9 natively without CPU assistance. Might not even see it in the next generation of GPU's.

Note, that both XSS/XSX and PS5 have native support for VP9 decoding, without needing CPU assistence.

H.264/AVC - Initial release 2003 (royalties have to be paid to hardware manufacturers)
H.265/HEVC - Initial release 2013 (royalties have to be paid to hardware manufacturers)
VP9 - Initial release 2013 (royalty free, and one of the main reasons why YT converts their videos to this besides better quality) This being royalty free and provides no revenue to the hardware manufacturers, hinders it's wide spread adoption.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

It's just me, or the PC version track textures are looking more like the Series X version?

This is a RTX 3090:
Is this not the same track?
I mean at 0:32, the track texture.

Hard to tell with the different weather/ToD settings, but it does have more grass (0:15).

inflation

VP9 is very processor intensive to encode, and the reason why Nvidia/AMD encoders on their latest GPU's only encode up to H.265/HEVC, but YouTube accepts videos via H.264/AVC which they list in their videos as AVC1 via Stats for Nerds.

Here we are in 2020, and H.265 is still not standard, even though so much hardware now supports native encoding/decoding of that standard.

Part of the problem, is that not every device has native H.265 decoding, and it's for that reason, YouTube plays it safe, and continues to provide only H.264 on uploads.

So YouTube probably has a massive backlog of videos to encode in VP9, and that takes a lot of time.

Who knows how much silicon real-estate it would take on a GPU to encode VP9 natively without CPU assistance. Might not even see it in the next generation of GPU's.

Note, that both XSS/XSX and PS5 have native support for VP9 decoding, without needing CPU assistence.
Encoding HEVC needs license, and it's a mess because multiple patent pools provide the service and overlap each other. VVC would be the same or even worse.

user1337

I wonder how many people pay to be able to download those. Obviously it would require quite a bit of space over time and the costs, just wondering if there could be a way to keep it free for users but not take a financial hit.

ethomaz

Banned
Wait a minute... so even with the 15% performance gain that VRS gives (tier 2 can be up to 40-50% in some scenarios) XSX is still so far behind in visuals for Dirt 5?

Well.... that's.... awkward :messenger_poop:
I don’t think we will see 40-50% scenarios because how VRS is now degraded a lot the imagem.

I hope it get better in the future... quality wise not performance.

GermanZepp

So guys, are those ps5 ready TV's any good? Can somebody recomend me a not so expenensive led that check all the boxes? 4k at 120hz, hdr10, 4:4:4 , etc.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
So guys, are those ps5 ready TV's any good? Can somebody recomend me a not so expenensive led that check all the boxes? 4k at 120hz, hdr10, 4:4:4 , etc.
sony x900h is basically your best choice. $1,000 for 65 inch. should be cheaper for the 55 inch version.

Imtjnotu

Anyone with the external drive still crashing I may have a small fix!

So after doing some testing yesterday I found that not closing a PS5 game and jumping into a ps4 game or vice versa causes the crash where it says it has to repair ps5.

FFound that closing your game before jumping into one of another platform does not let the crashes happen. So far before testing this I was having two or 3 crashes a day

user1337

Depends on what you regard as "not so expensive".

You basically need a full hdmi 2.1 TV that has not bandwidth limits (some LGs I recall were 2.1 but had limited their bandwidth, not sure what happened to them as I haven't been following TVs for a while).

user1337

So after doing some testing yesterday I found that not closing a PS5 game and jumping into a ps4 game or vice versa causes the crash where it says it has to repair ps5.

FFound that closing your game before jumping into one of another platform does not let the crashes happen. So far before testing this I was having two or 3 crashes a day

I installed all my games in the internal SSD. No issues over the last 2 days. Still have around 350GB space left. I feel with the improved download speeds, I may never end up using an external drive.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Just going to vent one last time but... Even at places like beyond3d Xbox fanboys are melting themselves over the excuses. How 12 months of chest pounding and spreading fud about the underperforming PS5, the console that devs were having trouble with, is now completely erased and traded by the GDK being in the worst state ever.

Part of me hopes XSX keeps underperforming just because these people painted such a massive target on their teeth that I can’t help but want to see the tooth fairy coming in to collect.

Last edited:

MrS

Banned
Also tested on my ps5 and LG C9

PS5 in game does support 4k60@
12bit RGB 4:4:4 in game. Only when switching over to 120hz does it drop to 4:2:2.

Tested on
Sackboy
Spiderman MM
Demon souls
How can you tell? Fellow C9 owner here. Do you have your PS5 set up as a PC or Games Console?

Last edited:

CraZed

Yeah this happened to me twice the first day. I took to closing games completely and safely removing the external drive when shutting down or going into standby. But after the patch it seems to have been fixed. I even had a power outage the other night and upon restarting, both internal and external drives repaired w/o issue.

Duchess

So great to see the PS5 doing well. I actually wasn't going to bother with this generation (9th); I was going to built myself a retro system out of a Raspberry Pi and just game on that.

By the look of it, I'll be a PlayStation gamer for at least another 5 or 6 years. At which point I'll be pushing 50. Ugh :)

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Also tested on my ps5 and LG C9

PS5 in game does support 4k60@
12bit RGB 4:4:4 in game. Only when switching over to 120hz does it drop to 4:2:2.

Tested on
Sackboy
Spiderman MM
Demon souls
How can you tell? Fellow C9 owner here. Do you have your PS5 set up as a PC or Games Console?

It is confirmed by Vincent (HDTVTest) that it's RGB 4:4:4, 12-bit at 60Hz mode. Also confirmed that the 120Hz mode is currently 4:2:2 12-bit which is strange to be 12-bit at that one even though 4:2:2. Check his channel.

Last edited:

Imtjnotu

Mine is set to pc.

To check your hdmi status.
-ps5 is on and running
-select ps5 hdmi input
-on TV remote click settings/more settings/channel/then highlight the pointer over channel tuning.
-press the number 1 button on your remote 5 times
-now select and click hdmi.

You now can view what your hdmi input is doing for selected input.

• Love
Reactions: MrS

Donarudo

If you are German, as your nick suggests, the 55inch Sony XH90 is currently on offer for 750€ at Mediamarkt and Saturn. Only available until tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom