• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member
May 2021? Fucking, OUCH.

I've completely given up on getting a PS5 till next year at this point. Lets see what CES 2021 will bring out for new TVs.
If you plan on buying it next year like me then it's a good opportunity to set some money aside for your setup, I need to upgrade to a 4K OLED tv as well and new headset and by the time I buy the console (second half of next year) there will be much more exclusive games available (upcoming ones as well). The firmware should also be much more robust that time as well so less likely you'll experience issues with he console. Just my 2 cents.

If you plan on buying it next year like me then it's a good opportunity to set some money aside for your setup, I need to upgrade to a 4K OLED tv as well and new headset and by the time I buy the console (second half of next year) there will be much more exclusive games available (upcoming ones as well). The firmware should also be much more robust that time as well so less likely you'll experience issues with he console. Just my 2 cents.
Already got the money, just need the PS5 and TV. No point in upgrading my TV until then. Hopefully any hardware/software issues with PS5 will be ironed out by then.

saintjules

Hopefully any hardware/software issues with PS5 will be ironed out by then.

It's just a small % of people voicing their issues of the hardware concerns from their units. All the issues that came out I haven't had any problems with on my unit, except for Infamous where it crashed upon startup.

I see people saying they're waiting for a Gen2 revision as if it's coming next month. It will be a while lol.

DrDamn

Its a useless feature. It just puts the TV into game mode for you.

The PS4 does not support ALLM but when I plugged my PS4 Pro into my TV, it recognized it was a PS4 and asked me if I wanted to enable game mode. Now it just keeps it on all the time for that HDMI input. Simple.

It helps if you use the console for media too, YouTube, Netflix etc. The ALLM kicks in when a game starts but you can have more appropriate picture settings for movies and videos.

kyliethicc

It helps if you use the console for media too, YouTube, Netflix etc. The ALLM kicks in when a game starts but you can have more appropriate picture settings for movies and videos.
I guess but who cares about fine grain image quality of YouTube videos. Idk not something I'd care about.

I don't notice any significant difference in game mode or not in terms of image quality. But I don't have an LCD w/ local dimming.

Shmunter

Yeah, that's the real reason. Can anybody confirm this actually works i.e. Switching between a game and e.g. Youtube switches game mode on/off accordingly?

Futurematic

Yeah, that's the real reason. Can anybody confirm this actually works i.e. Switching between a game and e.g. Youtube switches game mode on/off accordingly?
On my Sony using the TV’s app it does, using the PS5 media apps it does not. So you have to go hit a couple buttons to swap from game mode to custom. No actual ALLM of course because HDMI 2, just auto-detect PlayStation console. Hopefully someone can test it with a HDMI 2.1 TV

That said I have no idea why you’d prefer the PS5 media apps to the TV’s apps in terms of power consumption alone. (Except Apple TV+ I guess, not on the A8H yet.)

Last edited:

Shmunter

On my Sony using the TV’s app it does, using the PS5 media apps it does not. So you have to go hit a couple buttons to swap from game mode to custom. No actual ALLM, just auto-detect PlayStation console.

That said I have no idea why you’d prefer the PS5 media apps to the TV’s apps in terms of power consumption alone. (Except Apple TV+ I guess, not on the A8H yet.)
Yeah, that's the same on my Sony 900E. But the benefit of ALLM is being able to use the consoles media functions without manual game mode intervention. However, I'm yet to hear any confirmation this shit is actually working like that.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Still annoyed that Roblox has not come to Playstation.
mariahdontknowher.gif

HoofHearted

Well... can’t believe I’m saying this... but Walmart actually came through...!

Not sure if my TV can handle all of this power from having both XSX and PS5 hooked up to it...

Guess I’ll be trading in my old X1X for a few new PS5 games ...

now if Walmart would just only send me the notification that my PS5 order is ready for pickup at my local store.... :p

yurinka

But devs had final PS5 devs kits for 5 yeaaars¡¡¡¡ :goog_eek::goog_eek:

A testkit isn't the same than a devkit. But in any case, final devkits and testkits typically aren't sent until around launch. Until then they have different prototypes: the first ones typically are a giant NASA PC with more or less estimated specs, and after that they keep getting closer to the final console, but almost always they are super ugly and huge.

bitbydeath

The recent PS5 update has bugged my rest mode. Often the PS5 loads up and now asks for the PlayStation button to be pressed even though the controller is already on and pressing the button doesn’t bypass the screen. I have to perform a full shutdown to bring it back properly. :messenger_neutral:

yurinka

Not sure Whether you'd call it AAA or not but there are on/off rumours of the Uncharted spin-off being announced in the new year. If it's Miles Morales sized then I could see that being announced and released in the same year.
Miles Morales is an AAA. It's as long as the Uncharted or Gears of War outside U4, has top tier production values and will have awesome sales and metacritic.

Regarding the next Uncharted, I think 2021 is already too packed for Sony. They may announce it during 2021 like other games but I think all the other announced games like this Uncharted, Spiderman 2, Days Gone 2, the next SCEJ game or the next Kojipro game wil be for 2022 or even 2023.

I can smell a Quantic Dream game too, since they said that even if they were going to do their own multi stuff they weren't closing the door to continue working with Sony in the future.

Last edited:

Sinthor

Gold Member
Apparently it’s listed with a June 2021 release date.

I'd just like to know what the heck this fetish about people with just one "real" arm is about? Seems to be a thing between Sekiro and what they've shown of Elden Ring.....

You know...since Bluepoint did such a great job with Demon's Souls and Sony OWNS that title and property...no reason they can't make additional Souls games off of Demon's Souls. Demon's Souls 2, anyone?

Garani

I have nothing to add but just wanted to tag HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 since everyone is doing it

Late to the party, but has anyone tagged HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 yet?

May 2021? Fucking, OUCH.

I've completely given up on getting a PS5 till next year at this point. Lets see what CES 2021 will bring out for new TVs.

Well, that was Gamestop by being hungry corporate b'stads. They should have stopped taking pre-orders but they wanted the free money, I guess. I am sure that with Sony's production having ramped up significally since day one those orders will be fulfilled sooner rather than later. But the hunger is clear: I didn't want to miss the XMas window, so I managed to pre-order and Iam using this time to set the box up while the kids are at school (and quality testing the shit :messenger_beaming: ), but some campers won't be too happy this XMas.

Last edited:

TheGejsza

If you have a Q9FN 2018, the VRR normally will work fine at 4k60. The only drawback is the minimum frequency of 48Hz (for others resolutions 20 to 120Hz). It works fine with the series X, it normally should be the same with the PS5 updated.

Good to know. I got FreeSync option in motion settings but I am not sure if its the same as VRR. Still PS5 got no VRR so no problem form now. And DeS is fucking 60FPS locked.

Handy Fake

My friend has a deadzone where his avr and PS5 is located in another room about 20ft. His PS5 is in vented cabinet behind a stone fireplace. Are there any possible solutions for this. I was thinking he could look into modding the ps5 with external antenna. Is there a breakdown presently which actually differentiates which wire cable is which?
I fixed a similar issue just by rotating one of the antennaes on the router so the flat (the long side) of it is facing the device in question.
You can also buy a replacement antennae for the router which is on a long cable so you can move it to a position where the main router will catch the PS5.

Edit:

Something along those lines, as long as you get the right plug.

Last edited:

Sinthor

Gold Member

Man, I am just realizing more and more how LUCKY I got, getting a pre-order! I really didn't think things would be THIS constrained, but I guess between the growth in the games industry and Covid keeping people at home..... Dang. Well, I hope everyone on this thread who wants one, can find one soonest! It's truly a huge leap and feels like a true 'next generation.'

The good thing is, that when you DO get a PS5, it will have even more functionality and the initial OS bugs will have been fixed, so that's good. On that note, since the system update, I've had no more issues with crashes related to the external disk drive I have hooked up.

Happy thanksgiving to all and I hope you all are safe and healthy with your families!

geordiemp

Just some interesting tweets I found, thought it was worth sharing.

The important takeawy from this whole discussion is 6800 XT seems to be organising the work as primitive shaders with hardware and low level drivers while 5700 XT is not. So something is up with RDNA2 and Geometry engine that has changed as both 5700 XT and 6800 XT are using same API.

The dark purple is the more efficient prim, 6800 XT top vs 5700 XT bottom but running same code........mmm

We dont know what consoles are doing.........:messenger_sunglasses:

R7ZfNMH.png

A1yAzk4.png

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Alex comment at the end of the Watch Dogs clip is strange.

They both locked at 30, same exact graphic settings, each console has what he thinks are bugs: AF settings and puddle reflections.

How could the Series X do any better? The AF? Or was he expecting the Series X to not have the same res drops as PS5?

Was there any definite res drop numbers? I might have missed it?

Last edited:
Alex comment at the end of the Watch Dogs clip is strange.

They both locked at 30, same exact graphic settings, each console has what he thinks are bugs: AF settings and puddle reflections.

How could the Series X do any better? The AF? Or was he expecting the Series X to not have the same res drops as PS5?

This is going to sound crazy but maybe each systems strengths make them about the same.

I mean that could explain why the paper specs don't seem close but the reality is that the games are almost identical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom