• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Razvedka

Banned
Whats the faster way to recoup that money?

Make a game ecosystem exclusive or include the PS5 playerbase?

He knows these types of things are always being kicked around and Microsoft has tried backing up the money truck for years to some of the biggest multplat games.

The Bethesda deal Microsoft and Sony each have tried many times before to acquire them just literally took years to arrive at a number each camp was happy with.

I remember playing PUBG in early access with some Xbox upper management and was told then they were close to a Bethesda deal and that was like almost 4 years ago?

I wonder if after FO76 their price got cheaper at all.

Dibils2k

Look i think exclusivity is gonna be case by case but this argument is so stupid, same could be said for things like Spiderman, Gears of War, Forza, God of War etc

MS didnt buy Zenimax to just make more money, they bought it to increase the value of MS products lol there is also huge (more probable than day 1 on all consoles) possibility it will be 6-12 month exclusive which is win-win for MS as many will not just wait but they can still suck die hard sony fanboys for money later down the road

Bo_Hazem

Banned

He knows these types of things are always being kicked around and Microsoft has tried backing up the money truck for years to some of the biggest multplat games.

The Bethesda deal Microsoft and Sony each have tried many times before to acquire them just literally took years to arrive at a number each camp was happy with.

I remember playing PUBG in early access with some Xbox upper management and was told then they were close to a Bethesda deal and that was like almost 4 years ago?

Thanks for sharing, mate! Interesting details. Do you think/know if Sony is doing some "enlargement" treatment to their current studios to make more than one project at once? Like Insomniac (Spiderman MM + Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart)?

It would make sense to enlarge a studio like GG and have them work on HFW and Killzone or any other shooter.

On a side note: (thanks to Ban Puncher Ban Puncher )

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Thanks for sharing, mate! Interesting details. Do you think/know if Sony is doing some "enlargement" treatment to their current studios to make more than one project at once? Like Insomniac (Spiderman MM + Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart)?

It would make sense to enlarge a studio like GG and have them work on HFW and Killzone or any other shooter.

On a side note:

I am quite sure one of Sonys main studios is working on a shooter reboot

Its been awhile since I have had birdies tell me this about a possible game say like SOCOM :) but I still think its eventually coming if it didnt die on the drawing board.

Sometime this Spring having some friends and family down and the little birdie is coming as well since he is basically like a second son and him myself and my son are going to spend several days doing some deep sea fishing so will get tons of juicy up to date info around May

Its been awhile since I have had birdies tell me this about a possible game say like SOCOM :) but I still think its eventually coming if it didnt die on the drawing board.

Sometime this Spring having some friends and family down and the little birdie is coming as well since he is basically like a second son and him myself and my son are going to spend several days doing some deep sea fishing so will get tons of juicy up to date info around May
200.gif

Bo_Hazem

Banned

You could always use more beer, although I feel guilty saying so but it's ok on your side of the table. Get that birdie drunk! :messenger_winking_tongue:

Last edited:
yeah, people unwilling to play any game on anything but a PS

Well you have to take into consideration that person's situation. Some people don't buy all platforms due to the fact that they don't see a point in owning s platform for a couple of games. You dont have to own all platforms to not be a hardcore fanboy.

For me I'll probably own a PS5 and a PC for next gen. I think that's the best combo for me since I can practically play anything with that. And whatever Nintendo's next console is going to be since I like their exclusives.

Dibils2k

Well you have to take into consideration that person's situation. Some people don't buy all platforms due to the fact that they don't see a point in owning s platform for a couple of games. You dont have to own all platforms to not be a hardcore fanboy.

For me I'll probably own a PS5 and a PC for next gen. I think that's the best combo for me since I can practically play anything with that. And whatever Nintendo's next console is going to be since I like their exclusives.
i mean the whole point of exclusives is to push THAT person to buy the other console or buy the game on the respective platform

now if Indiana Jones came out day 1 on PS5/Xbox and PC, would you have bought it on PS5? if so, by not releasing on PS5 day one MS just made you buy it on their platform... thats the whole point, not to just get you to buy xbox or PC, its the fact that even if you have everything, you buy it on their platform

Last edited:
i mean the whole point of exclusives is to push THAT person to buy the other console or buy the game on the respective platform

now if Indiana Jones came out day 1 on PS5/Xbox and PC, would you have bought it on PS5? if so, by not releasing on PS5 day one MS just made you buy it on their platform... thats the whole point, not to just get you to buy xbox or PC, its the fact that even if you have everything, you buy it on their platform

Depends on what's more important to them. Selling a game or selling a console.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

No one is arguing with you, that's how you do it. But seems like Microsoft disagrees with you and wanna bring back some of that $7.5B + debts back ASAP. Seems like xbox insiders are lining with that as well. That acquisition probably forced them to produce less consoles as well.

Last edited:

Dibils2k

No one is arguing with you, that's how you do it. But seems like Microsoft disagrees with you and wanna bring back some of that $7.5B + debts back ASAP. Seems like xbox insiders are lining with that as well. That acquisition probably forced them to produce less consoles as well.
MS eats $7.5B for breakfast... if you think that will have any impact on their decision making i think you are led astray

MS eats $7.5B for breakfast... if you think that will have any impact on their decision making i think you are led astray

Um I would think they would lose money to make more money later on. That's how businesses work and losses to influence their decisions.

Just like Minecraft, Microsoft plans to make it back. What that plan is I'm not sure.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT

They don't have to "bring back" anything, there is no "debts" a simple understanding of accounting shows you that Zenimax is a balance sheet item and the value of Microsoft is unchanged.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
All this discussion about Indiana Jones will it be exclusive or multiplat...

- Nobody knows if the game will be great or will sucks
- The game isn't coming before 2023.

Like seriousely who cares, show the gameplay first and then the other things will maybe start to matter.

Not expecting much out of it, honestly.

kyliethicc

That rumor is one I've seen articles on. They said rumor is Guerrilla is rebooting SOCOM.

We know Guerrilla Games hired the former game director and a lead designer both from Rainbow Six Siege dev team. They've been at Guerrilla for about 2 years now, working on something other than Horizon.

I'd love a new SOCOM multiplayer FPS on PS5 so I hope its true.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
That rumor is one I've seen articles on. They said rumor is Guerrilla is rebooting SOCOM.

We know Guerrilla Games hired the former game director and a lead designer both from Rainbow Six Siege dev team. They've been at Guerrilla for about 2 years now, working on something other than Horizon.

I'd love a new SOCOM multiplayer FPS on PS5 so I hope its true.

Killzone gameplay is already solid, will be interesting to see what they're cooking. Glad that they're touting with CGI while not knowing what is the game all about like some other incompetent studios.

Keep you head down and work and show when you have something worth showing. CP2077 been showing CGI shit since 8 years and see how it turned out.

Riky

$MSFT
So where did that 7.5 billion go?

Into Zenimax Media itself or the shareholders?

It's what I'm trying to find out.

The cash itself goes to the owners of Zenimax, shareholders. On Microsoft's side and in an accounting view the transaction is between "cash in hand" and balance sheets "assets" there is no change in the company value, no loss of anything at all.

Last edited:

SSfox

Not expecting much out of it, honestly.
I don't except anything tbh, if it will be great, then that's amazing (i love Indiana Jones), if it will suck, then it is what it is, experience made me be more careful about those games based on well known movies IP since long time already. Somebody can announce tomorrow a game based on Enter The Dragon, my fucking favorite movie of all time, and it will still be the same for me. Don't count on me to be excited about a 3 seconds CGI just cause it's based on iconic movie, you need much more than that, so in the end yeah will see when concrete stuffs will be shown.

kyliethicc

Killzone gameplay is already solid, will be interesting to see what they're cooking. Glad that they're touting with CGI while not knowing what is the game all about like some other incompetent studios.

Keep you head down and work and show when you have something worth showing. CP2077 been showing CGI shit since 8 years and see how it turned out.
Those devs got hired in 2018, so they've had plenty of time to develop their new game.

It seems obvious its gonna be a multiplayer FPS. Hopefully it can be ready for a 2022 launch.

The cash itself goes to the owners of Zenimax, shareholders. On Microsoft's side and in an accounting view the transaction is between "cash in hand" and balance sheets "assets" there is no change in the company value, no loss of anything at all.

Seems like they are trading off more liquid assets to less liquid ones. That would reflect itself in the balance sheet.

Your right that the current value is the same but the volatility and liquidity is different.

Do you have any information if Microsoft paid a premium on top of the stock price or did they acquire it at market value?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Seems like they are trading off more liquid assets to less liquid ones. That would reflect itself in the balance sheet.

Your right that the current value is the same but the volatility and liquidity is different.

Do you have any information if Microsoft paid a premium on top of the stock price or did they acquire it at market value?

He "was" an accountant for a reason.

kyliethicc

Zenimax was never publicly traded. Private company.

Riky

$MSFT

Irrelevant, it will be booked at that price, from there it can be held as a depreciating asset at worse.

The only part it does affect is the profit and loss side as Microsoft takes on the overheads but then if the games make money then that becomes secondary.

Irrelevant, it will be booked at that price, from there it can be held as a depreciating asset at worse.

The only part it does affect is the profit and loss side as Microsoft takes on the overheads but then if the games make money then that becomes secondary.

I see so a short-term expense that will offset by future income. Yeah it's going to depend if they can offset it with future income but I'm guessing Microsoft already has a plan for that. Curious to see where that future income will come from. That's the question on everyone's minds at the moment. Basically whether or not they choose to stop publishing games for the competitors platform.

How much income do you estimate that they get from PlayStation and Nintendo for example?

Riky

$MSFT
I see so a short-term expense that will offset by future income. Yeah it's going to depend if they can offset it with future income but I'm guessing Microsoft already has a plan for that. Curious to see where that future income will come from. That's the question on everyone's minds at the moment. Basically whether or not they choose to stop publishing games for the competitors platform.

How much income do you estimate that they get from PlayStation and Nintendo for example?

It will just be folded into the Xbox division, there would be no point running a separate ledger for it, that being the case it would be the overall affect on Gamepass subscriptions etc........makes sense since the CEO's pay is tied to that incentive.

It will just be folded into the Xbox division, there would be no point running a separate ledger for it, that being the case it would be the overall affect on Gamepass subscriptions etc........makes sense since the CEO's pay is tied to that incentive.

Kind of have my doubts that gamepass subscriptions will offset the loss of sales from non-Microsoft platforms. But since this is a private company they don't have to worry about stockholders as much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom