• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoofHearted

Whats the faster way to recoup that money?

Make a game ecosystem exclusive or include the PS5 playerbase?
My two cents -

IMHO - I think this largely depends on whom you ask and what is the broader desired end-state and longer term goal(s) of the business model.

From a pure business/tactical perspective - There are a variety of ways to recoup money invested in a particular IP/game versus a much broader goal of establishing and redefining your business model (ecosystem).

A potential third option - leverage the game ecosystem exclusive(s) to establish partnerships/access for including the targeted PS5 playerbase.

The landscape of simply buying studios and specific game(s)/IPs is still certainly a path forward - but it's becoming dated and archaic as a supportable business model.

I think this might be the underlying thought and business direction that Phil was referring to with respect to his "case-by-case" statements earlier last year.

My guess is - this will potentially become much clearer once the Bethesda deal is finalized and completed. I wouldn't be at all surprised if we see a (major) media event shortly afterwards detailing and clarifying exclusivity details around each game/IP actively under development..

i mean the whole point of exclusives is to push THAT person to buy the other console or buy the game on the respective platform

now if Indiana Jones came out day 1 on PS5/Xbox and PC, would you have bought it on PS5? if so, by not releasing on PS5 day one MS just made you buy it on their platform... thats the whole point, not to just get you to buy xbox or PC, its the fact that even if you have everything, you buy it on their platform
Or they just make people to skip the game completely

I dont buy games which come day1 on game pass, because why pay for a game if devs say it is not worth more than pennies on one platform.

Or at least it is not fair to ask more than 5€ from it on other platforms, as they are willing to give it out for so cheap.

Timed exclusives dont matter to me, as I rarely waste money to day1 when buying used or waiting for price drops saved 20-80% easily.

I have never met a gamer whom would buy platform they dont want/like just to play 1 game that doesnt come to theirs.

Because if xbox would have enough good games for personal taste, Playstation gamers would already have it, right? And vise versa

So only thing they gain is less sales, not people buying xbox for a game

LucidFlux

Truer words have not been spoken:

There's plenty of room for both. Besides, new content and innovation can absolutely be done with existing IPs. I just said it in another thread, but much of the gameplay innovation this last generation didn't happen in large AAA games that can't afford to take such huge risks.

As more and more hurdles are removed, asset creation made faster and therefor overall development time sped up, we will start to see more companies taking bigger risks on larger projects with both new and existing IPs.

Handy Fake

There's plenty of room for both. Besides, new content and innovation can absolutely be done with existing IPs. I just said it in another thread, but much of the gameplay innovation this last generation didn't happen in large AAA games that can't afford to take such huge risks.

As more and more hurdles are removed, asset creation made faster and therefor overall development time sped up, we will start to see more companies taking bigger risks on larger projects with both new and existing IPs.
What I've never understood about licensed games is that a studio can easily innovate or create their own games with perhaps a franchise in mind. Like Tomb Raider/Uncharted could easily have been Indiana Jones games. You're essentially paying millions that could have gone into development for a reskin and advertising.
EDIT: Brings to mind the film tie in games by Ocean in the 80s and 90s.

Last edited:

LucidFlux

What I've never understood about licensed games is that a studio can easily innovate or create their own games with perhaps a franchise in mind. Like Tomb Raider/Uncharted could easily have been Indiana Jones games. You're essentially paying millions that could have gone into development for a reskin and advertising.
EDIT: Brings to mind the film tie in games by Ocean in the 80s and 90s.

It's because the IP itself strengthens the appeal, regardless of the type or how good the game is. People are just more willing to take a chance on something familiar. Thanks for the reminder of those old film tie in games lol. Literal re-skins of existing formulas with a popular name slapped on it.

But IPs can also completely limit the types of game and innovation depending on the depth of that world and how much opportunity it allows for exploration. Unless of course you were given unheard of freedom by the IP holder. Take an Indiana Jones and you'll largely end up with mostly the same types of single player exploration games, because that universe is relatively small and focused. Whereas something like StarWars has unlimited power potential in the types of games you can create with the IP so it can lend itself to nearly any style game to up the appeal.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
It's because the IP itself strengthens the appeal, regardless of the type or how good the game is. People are just more willing to take a chance on something familiar. Thanks for the reminder of those old film tie in games lol. Literal re-skins of existing formulas with a popular name slapped on it.

But IPs can also completely limit the types of game and innovation depending on the depth of that world and how much opportunity it allows for exploration. Unless of course you were given unheard of freedom by the IP holder. Take an Indiana Jones and you'll largely end up with mostly the same types of single player exploration games, because that universe is relatively small and focused. Whereas something like StarWars has unlimited power potential in the types of games you can create with the IP so it can lend itself to nearly any style game to up the appeal.

But only few movie-based games were good. WB is good with its IP's though, and I'm more than sure they're pissed with what happened with CyberPunk 2077.

James Bond games were great back in the day, Batman games are overall very good, Star Wars as of recent memory are shit, overall I find the movie itself shit but seems that some have nostalgia with those movies. Let's not talk about Jumanji, I'm not sure why Sony gave it to a shitty third party to make one of the worst games ever.

Fast and Furious? Anyone? :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

LucidFlux

But only few move-based games were good. WB is good with its IP's though, and I'm more than sure they're pissed with what happened with CyberPunk 2077.

James Bond games were great back in the day, Batman games are overall very good, Star Wars as of recent memory are shit, overall I find the movie itself shit but seems that some have nostalgia with those movies. Let's not talk about Jumanji, I'm not sure why Sony gave it to a shitty third party to make one of the worst games ever.

Fast and Furious? Anyone? :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

Yep, a good movie tie in game is nearly impossible these days from a logistics point of view, especially when you compare how long a movie is in production vs the time it takes to produce a current AAA game. That's why they're often low budget recycled concepts with the IP slapped on, or we just don't get them at all like we used to until the early 00's.
Now you can certainly take a movie only IP and turn it into a good game but the days of timing it to come out with the movie have passed.

Mr Moose

72844286b7f6556a3374df207f5d606ebed63a87.jpg

So... Late 2021 update instead of early 2021? Wankers.

SSfox

Truer words have not been spoken:

Can't agree more with Bruce, true words as you said. It's all about creating new stuff, of course those movies game can be cool, but best games are always full creaction, Tekken, Street Fighter, MGS, Resident Evil , The Last Of Us, Uncharted or God Of War

You know this remind me about the story about Mortal Kombat was supposed to be based Bloodsport game, they didn't cause they didn't have budget to pay JCVD and the movie staff, then they made MK instead, imagine if back then they go for making Bloodsport game instead of Mortal Kombat, you know that Mortal Kombat was by far the best bet, nowadays it's considered as one of the most iconic videogame franchise.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
So next gen console update is Q3 2021? LOL

At least DLC is free.

I'll look into playing it in September. By that time you got next gen update and probably 5 or 6 patches by then. It'll probably end up 9 months from now a solid polished game on SeX and PS5.

Last edited:
72844286b7f6556a3374df207f5d606ebed63a87.jpg

So... Late 2021 update instead of early 2021? Wankers.
Annoying I know, but lets be honest, the launch was disastrous to say the least and I would rather them take their time with the next-gen patch and let it be stable and good performance.

Considering this, the second half of 2021 is going to be stacked, that's IF there is no delays. Would be an ideal time to upgrade to next-gen as well.

Interesting comments from the CDProjektRed leader, he states that a lot of difficulty came when optimising the Cyberpunk 2077 for previous gen hardware, this was mainly due to the city and environment being very dense (I'm guessing in terms of geometric complexity as well as things like NPC's), the issue with the old-gen hardware was and I'm paraphrasing "the low disk bandwidth", which wasn't fast enough to stream in the city as you move through it.

Just another reason to appreciate the SSD on the next-generation consoles and it also makes me really exited for this gen.

Last edited:
Interesting comments from the CDProjektRed leader, he states that a lot of difficulty came when optimising the Cyberpunk 2077 for previous gen hardware, this was mainly due to the city and environment being very dense (I'm guessing in terms of geometric complexity as well as things like NPC's), the issue with the old-gen hardware was to use his words "the low disk bandwidth", which wasn't fast enough to stream in the city as you move through it.

Just another reason to appreciate the SSD on the next-generation consoles and it also makes me really exited for this gen.

Reminds me of when people try to play Star Citizen with a HDD instead of an SSD. I'm glad that both consoles are using SSDs but unfortunately HDDs are still a baseline on PC.

Interesting comments from the CDProjektRed leader, he states that a lot of difficulty came when optimising the Cyberpunk 2077 for previous gen hardware, this was mainly due to the city and environment being very dense (I'm guessing in terms of geometric complexity as well as things like NPC's), the issue with the old-gen hardware was and I'm paraphrasing "the low disk bandwidth", which wasn't fast enough to stream in the city as you move through it.

Clearly. This generation has very nice upgrade at many levels : GPU, CPU (the best improvement), memory etc... But the I/O part is clearly the game changer for the futur.

I am quite sure one of Sonys main studios is working on a shooter reboot

Its been awhile since I have had birdies tell me this about a possible game say like SOCOM :) but I still think its eventually coming if it didnt die on the drawing board.

Sometime this Spring having some friends and family down and the little birdie is coming as well since he is basically like a second son and him myself and my son are going to spend several days doing some deep sea fishing so will get tons of juicy up to date info around May
TQf9.gif

54d40435af343_-_mads-mikkelsen.gif

Last edited:
what kind of dark forces have combined to create such an awful year of 2021. satan move aside, 2020 move aside, there is a much darker force which has only begun to be felt :(
Could be worse honestly, I read a post recently which stated that had you been born in the year 1900, you would have had to live through 2 world wars, the holocaust, the spanish flu and the great recession.

Not trying to downplay any hardship that people may be experiencing but it is food for thought.

Off topic as well, so apologies.

kyliethicc

And half of Bruce's games are sequels. His most innovative period was in the 90s making Genesis and PS1 era games.

Sure, but he did co-create The Last of Us and basically quit game dev after getting burnt out making another Uncharted game, something he probably didn't want to do before Amy quit.

He has been very vocal in the last 5 years praising various new IPs and new ideas, big and small, games like Inside and Death Stranding, etc.

I'm interested to see what he does next.

magnumpy

Could be worse honestly, I read a post recently which stated that had you been born in the year 1900, you would have had to live through 2 world wars, the holocaust, the spanish flu and the great recession.

Not trying to downplay any hardship that people may be experiencing but it is food for thought.

Off topic as well, so apologies.
my point is just that 2020 was supposed to be the dark times while 2021 would be some kind of saviour to rescue us from this hatred. but it turns out to be just some kind of twisted joke! it's still early to call things but early indicators do not look good for this year :(

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion

At least DLC is free.

I'll look into playing it in September. By that time you got next gen update and probably 5 or 6 patches by then. It'll probably end up 9 months from now a solid polished game on SeX and PS5.
Seems like that reddit post could be legitimate, where is written that they are basically rewriting code for next-gen/PC update...

And half of Bruce's games are sequels. His most innovative period was in the 90s making Genesis and PS1 era games.

At the end of the day is it not publishers who dictate what gets the greenlight?
I'm sure if you gave Bruce unlimited funds, he'd create whatever game he wanted.

At least DLC is free.

Yeap. Looks like 2021 is going to be worse than 2020 with the incoming delays.
I called it. There are going to be an ass load of delays this year.

Last edited:

cragarmi

That rumor is one I've seen articles on. They said rumor is Guerrilla is rebooting SOCOM.

We know Guerrilla Games hired the former game director and a lead designer both from Rainbow Six Siege dev team. They've been at Guerrilla for about 2 years now, working on something other than Horizon.

I'd love a new SOCOM multiplayer FPS on PS5 so I hope its true.

If SOCOM is happening, which is likely, I can think of more likely candidates than Guerrilla. Sony don't have to use their internal teams to produce this. To produce such a game would be a fitting testament for a smaller studio, with a close history to playstation.

devilNprada

I was an accountant for years, you literally have no clue what you're talking about, it's embarrassing 😂

The cash itself goes to the owners of Zenimax, shareholders. On Microsoft's side and in an accounting view the transaction is between "cash in hand" and balance sheets "assets" there is no change in the company value, no loss of anything at all
Lol you have to amortize that asset on your P&L, you don't amortize cash..

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Or they just make people to skip the game completely

I dont buy games which come day1 on game pass, because why pay for a game if devs say it is not worth more than pennies on one platform.

Or at least it is not fair to ask more than 5€ from it on other platforms, as they are willing to give it out for so cheap.

Timed exclusives dont matter to me, as I rarely waste money to day1 when buying used or waiting for price drops saved 20-80% easily.

I have never met a gamer whom would buy platform they dont want/like just to play 1 game that doesnt come to theirs.

Because if xbox would have enough good games for personal taste, Playstation gamers would already have it, right? And vise versa

So only thing they gain is less sales, not people buying xbox for a game
Or the game, and others on GamePass, have great word of mouth and eventually nudge enough people from the Playstation ecosystem over to Xbox because they can jump in on a lot of games they missed on their one platform and now they have them for at least some business.

And no, the games are not worth pennies. They still sell by themselves for full retail, it's just that you can opt instead to pay for monthly access to them and all others on gamepass for well less than the price of one game each month. It's just like HBO in the 80s. Buy a movie for 20-100 bucks on VHS or buy access to a bunch of movies for 10 bucks on HBO, only you can play at will and not be subject to a broadcast schedule. Long term it could be a good thing, or a mixed blessing. Streaming improved the quantity and quality of TV shows and also gave us garbage content on Youtube that still makes money.

THEAP99

Banned
At the end of the day is it not publishers who dictate what gets the greenlight?
I'm sure if you gave Bruce unlimited funds, he'd create whatever game he wanted.

Yeap. Looks like 2021 is going to be worse than 2020 with the incoming delays.
I called it. There are going to be an ass load of delays this year.
120 billion dollar industry and barely anything new to show for it. Next gen consoles should've been delayed at this point.

roops67

Thanks for sharing, mate! Interesting details. Do you think/know if Sony is doing some "enlargement" treatment to their current studios to make more than one project at once? Like Insomniac (Spiderman MM + Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart)?

It would make sense to enlarge a studio like GG and have them work on HFW and Killzone or any other shooter.

On a side note: (thanks to @Ban Puncher )

Good ol' Vincent to the rescue, just cut the shit an straight to the point!

Still he can't refrain from dropping a naughty reference, I bet he grew up on watching 'Carry On' in his youth. Anyway Bo seems he's rubbing off on you 😂 (I've probably lost you)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom