• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

Inviusx

Was going to post some screens a few days ago but decided to wait for 1.28 to show off the new 300Z & Fuji Speedway. Fuji has some great time of day options which I think really show off how impressive the lighting engine is in GTS. IMHO it's still the king of lighting.

I figured it would only be fair to post actual screenshots rather than photomode as we all know that's cheating.

iXBK8FL.jpg

s2PtZnK.jpg

6rneNma.jpg

PLdzJtS.jpg

sRZPP3i.jpg

NaDoRk0.jpg

HjbDqRu.jpg

Last edited:

Inviusx

Hi I would be interested in seeing side by side shots of gameplay and photo mode of the sameshot if you have any, cockpit view to

I'll take some more pics tomorrow to do a comparison. There are definitely differences between photomode and regular gameplay in terms of super sampling and motion blur but I prefer raw gameplay.

I think these shots show that in gameplay the cockpit lighting game be so accurate that it's almost photorealistic. It's a combination of a gorgeously accurate lighting model and 1 to 1 laser scanned interiors.

Gingen

Banned
You're being ridiculous, you're not posting any car examples from in game, you're using scapes which have higher detail/poly swapped models with what appears to be insane levels of AA or supersampling applied. None of that is indicative of what is seen in game. Not the polycount on car models, not the level of reflection details, not the quality of materials, not the level of anti-aliasing etc.

It's literally user created bullshots that you're trying to pass off as in game indicative, it's absurd.

Scapes/munù models are the real GTS models. Ingame the PD are FORCED to use cars with a slightly lower lod because PS4 isn't a 2000 $ PC... when PS5 will come out and the PD will be able to use all their cars at full LOD in every moment someone here will have to hide on mars

nVDmmiG.png

SUZUZUKA CIRCUIT lol

go home

doaymbov4aa9oz2n2ckr.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Scapes models are the real GTS models. Ingame the PD are FORCED to use cars with a slightly lower lod because PS4 is not a 2000 $ PC... when PS5 will come out and the PD will be able to use all their cars at full LOD someone here will have to hide on mars

go home

doaymbov4aa9oz2n2ckr.jpg
So your solution is to again use photomodes to take a screenshot of the ground as some kind of point.

You're having some serious issues keeping up here, bud. Everything seems to just be *whoosh* right over your head.

Gingen

Banned
So your solution is to again use photomodes to take a screenshot of the ground as some kind of point.

You're having some serious issues keeping up here, bud. Everything seems to just be *whoosh* right over your head.

You're having some serious issues with your photomode terror.... the SUZUZUKA pic is fake

phil_t98

#SonyToo
You're having some serious issues with your photomode terror.... the SUZUZUKA pic is fake

While photo mode is awesome it isn't representative of how the game plays, great to look at detailed models of cars but when you play cars have less detail. Hard one to jugde onthat realy isn't it, GTS is a great looking game but its what bits do you judge on how good it is. Photo mode? or gameplay?

Gingen

Banned
While photo mode is awesome it isn't representative of how the game plays, great to look at detailed models of cars but when you play cars have less detail. Hard one to jugde onthat realy isn't it, GTS is a great looking game but its what bits do you judge on how good it is. Photo mode? or gameplay?

Even yours 2000$ PC screenshots aren't representative of how the game plays on console, especially standard xbox one.... so why we should consider them?

Hage Kamo

Scapes/munù models are the real GTS models. Ingame the PD are FORCED to use cars with a slightly lower lod because PS4 isn't a 2000 $ PC... when PS5 will come out and the PD will be able to use all their cars at full LOD in every moment someone here will have to hide on mars

go home

doaymbov4aa9oz2n2ckr.jpg

It's been eleven months since we released it, and finally it was fixed in "this update"
Did not you know that even though it was a fanboy?lol

Last edited:

drotahorror

To be fair, it does have amazing weather effects. But most games looks good, when displayed in a 400x270 resolution..

Yeah I was just bein silly. Driveclub still looks amazing though to me, and still one of my favorite racers ever made. Still one of the best looking games in motion as well.

Even yours 2000$ PC screenshots aren't representative of how the game plays on console, especially standard xbox one.... so why we should consider them?

Shit. Was there rules in here that said only console screenshots could be posted?

Last edited:

Hage Kamo

DoAwFmiVAAIDj69.jpg

↓
DoAyMbOV4AA9OZ2.jpg

souce:

It's been eleven months since we released it, and finally it was fixed in this update
Did not you know that even though it was a fanboy? lol

Last edited:

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
And isn't named "only low lod GTS cars pics", so I'm free to post pics of the full LOD GTS cars
"High LoD FM/FH car pics"

Translation

"2000$ PC"

Well post the gaddamn Audi TTS gameplay shots from the outside view then if whe only post low lod car models ,come on i dare you. Just read your own last few posts and see how childish and fanbolic you are, grown the fuck up.

Gingen

Banned
DoAwFmiVAAIDj69.jpg

↓
DoAyMbOV4AA9OZ2.jpg

souce:

It's been eleven months since we released it, and finally it was fixed in this update
Did not you know that even though it was a fanboy? lol

This confirms that now the suzuzuka pic is a fake.... you cant' spam it on internet no more... I'm sorry for you :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Turk1993

The photomode in Horizon doesn't change any of the rendering or level of detail, it only adds post processing to the image so another L on your account.

Also $500 console bud, IN GAME.

44133707734_6aa9bfa8f9_o.png
You see how he dodges my reply :messenger_tears_of_joy:, he will do the same for you my friend. He can't face the truth, he is just a blind fanboy that you see on those youtube comments.

This page was going nicely until Driver showed back up...

Good pics and vids to everyone else though, I've seen some nice showcases and friendly conversation (until now), keep it up!

Keylime

Spoiler Tag Abuser
I'm just going to re-iterate.

If I see anyone else in here not having honest discussion about these screenshots going forward I'm going to have to remove you from this thread. This thread isn't about "console X is better and I'll defend it until I die by posting weird screenshots and have disingenuous arguments with anyone who disagrees."

I seriously don't like ruining the fun, but when someone is just littering the thread with blatant disregard for honest discussion, it's no longer fun for anyone.

...now back to your regularly scheduled program!

Driver86 is banned from replying in this thread for the next 2 weeks.

To end the Forza "photomode LoD" nonsense, here is photomode vs. in game. Identical render, identical detail, the only difference is the higher level of post AA applied to the image in photomode.

Environment is identical, car detail and model is identical, it's a like for like identical render.

Photo Mode

29995578137_1597882a8d_o.png

In Game

43119685660_d84edb48f9_o.png

"High LoD FM/FH car pics"

Translation

"2000$ PC"

Here is what I've gathered so far from this thread:

1. Posting Horizon 4 shots - Not fair because "arcade racer physics"

2. Posting PC shots - Not fair because PC is more expensive.

3. Posting shots from an extra mode of a game with a single car on a small static background likely running at 30fps to maximize the IQ with absolutely no physics engine running - Yeah that's fine.

That seems pretty one-sided when each point is really kind of crap.

1. It's been shown this isn't true, and the game is rendering an entire open world with a full dynamic weather system running in 4 different seasons, a bunch of traffic cars, a bunch of other player cars with custom liveries, hundreds of fully modeled trees that not only look really good but react to the dynamic weather system right down to swaying trunks and branches.

2. If I post a 2DS racer screenshot can I cry foul because the PS4 Pro cost 300% more? Lets not forget that effectively my PC is also a work PC and therefore generates revenue. DynamiteCop! makes a good case that console exclusive face-offs are better solved with another console exclusive for comparison purposes. That being said, the X1X version of Horizon 4 looks pretty close to the PC version, missing some of the extra IQ and draw distance bonuses from the PC version, but the models and detail are all there. It is in no uncertain terms better looking than GTS when you actually get to driving a car. It's my hope that there are updates to the game that can push my PC harder as I still have plenty of headroom.

3. I remember the early FM4 days, people were posting the new Autovista mode with modeled engines, interiors, etc. People were losing their minds over the idea that anyone dared post a shot from that mode in a comparison thread. It was literally Autovista vs. Gameplay, sound familiar? The Sony camp was crying foul, some implying that Autovista was actually interactive FMV. Nobody took an Autovista shots as "In-Game", just like right now, nobody takes Scape shots as an indication of what GTS looks like.

EDIT: I hadn't notice Driver86 was banned before posting this, if needed feel free to remove this post as it can't be rebutted now. I do think I made a few fair points though.

Last edited:
To end the Forza "photomode LoD" nonsense, here is photomode vs. in game. Identical render, identical detail, the only difference is the higher level of post AA applied to the image in photomode.

Environment is identical, car detail and model is identical, it's a like for like identical render.

Photo Mode

29995578137_1597882a8d_o.png

In Game

43119685660_d84edb48f9_o.png

Assuming you posted that from an X1X as you have been, I could post that shot from this PC as well and nobody could tell you which was which without a microscope.

Assuming you posted that from an X1X as you have been, I could post that shot from this PC as well and nobody could tell you which was which without a microscope.
Yeah that's Xbox One X, and I don't doubt it for the PC side of things. The Forza games look so good now and the hardware is competent enough that in game rendering actually caught up with the photomode.

pCARS 2 - standard PS4/replay (NO photomode)

projectcars2_20180926m6dpw.png

projectcars2_20180824a0ds2.png

projectcars2_20180922vcfw4.png

projectcars2_20180926q7ffm.png

projectcars2_20180926djieo.png
Project Cars 2 looks delicious, there are times where I've done image searches for cars and downloaded PC2 images without realizing until something in the background gave it away. In slightly cloudy/overcast conditions I think it actually beats out GT lighting.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Here is what I've gathered so far from this thread:

1. Posting Horizon 4 shots - Not fair because "arcade racer physics"

2. Posting PC shots - Not fair because PC is more expensive.

3. Posting shots from an extra mode of a game with a single car on a small static background likely running at 30fps to maximize the IQ with absolutely no physics engine running - Yeah that's fine.

That seems pretty one-sided when each point is really kind of crap.

1. It's been shown this isn't true, and the game is rendering an entire open world with a full dynamic weather system running in 4 different seasons, a bunch of traffic cars, a bunch of other player cars with custom liveries, hundreds of fully modeled trees that not only look really good but react to the dynamic weather system right down to swaying trunks and branches.

2. If I post a 2DS racer screenshot can I cry foul because the PS4 Pro cost 300% more? Lets not forget that effectively my PC is also a work PC and therefore generates revenue. DynamiteCop! makes a good case that console exclusive face-offs are better solved with another console exclusive for comparison purposes. That being said, the X1X version of Horizon 4 looks pretty close to the PC version, missing some of the extra IQ and draw distance bonuses from the PC version, but the models and detail are all there. It is in no uncertain terms better looking than GTS when you actually get to driving a car. It's my hope that there are updates to the game that can push my PC harder as I still have plenty of headroom.

3. I remember the early FM4 days, people were posting the new Autovista mode with modeled engines, interiors, etc. People were losing their minds over the idea that anyone dared post a shot from that mode in a comparison thread. It was literally Autovista vs. Gameplay, sound familiar? The Sony camp was crying foul, some implying that Autovista was actually interactive FMV. Nobody took an Autovista shots as "In-Game", just like right now, nobody takes Scape shots as an indication of what GTS looks like.

EDIT: I hadn't notice Driver86 was banned before posting this, if needed feel free to remove this post as it can't be rebutted now. I do think I made a few fair points though.
pretty much spot on, this is all about best graphics. any idea why he banned? good to se a bit of moderation going on keep it up

LostDonkey

Good to see some PC2 love. I need to take some myself what's the best software for taking screens during gameplay on PC. Best quality

Turk1993

Good to see some PC2 love. I need to take some myself what's the best software for taking screens during gameplay on PC. Best quality
Just press the home button if on Xbox One controller or PS4 controller, then select screenshot. Thats how i do it and its one of the best quality wise.

Top Bottom