• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

Hage Kamo

Winter
2c2ufNK.jpg

sXxHBdl.jpg

Kg3myOv.jpg

KdeFV56.jpg

vtie5q4.jpg
GJMhhwU.jpg
xyrC3i2.jpg

Last edited:

carsar

those deciduous trees with millions of tiny brenches look much better and make visual more realistic, imho. sprites can look good.
vh2G1gV.jpg

tfd72NQ.jpg

WJacmsj.jpg

This game is absolutely bonkers. The interior of the house is rendered as images on the walls, but convincingly so with bump maps and shading, the interior lights including lamps come on at night. The seasonal changes are extremely well executed, everything changes, branches have snow on them, things look frosted, it must have taken ages to implement at this level of detail. I live in the middle of Canada and see snow 6 months of the year and I've never seen winter done this well.

gNv1GGP.jpg

This shot looks good, but in motion it's another level entirely. Snow is falling in a fluttery way, it creates ripple in the puddle which is covering ice. Both surfaces are reflecting so I'm getting a stereo reflection, my headlights are casting shadows off everything in front of the car for about an 1/8th mile. It's all running at 60fps at 4K and my PC isn't running as hard as a night race in FM7.
sXMByh1.jpg

Draw distances are insane. I pulled the drone back to see how long before my car ghosted out. If you look between the house and the small tree, you can see the General and the cabin from the previous shot. It still has lit tail lights, and the sun is still affecting the paint.
MyD5FLj.jpg

The headlights are impressive too, it's a step up from what FM7 did, and the scale is an order of magnitude above as well. Casting shadows and lighting stuff up for huge distances. Things like grass aren't affected, but everything else from rubble from broken fences to small bushes are. In motion smashing through things at night looks amazing.
y5NX91R.jpg

Q8JQ9r6.jpg

Ive been following this thread, viewing pics mostly on my phone. Seeing gameplay shots of GT looks good and almost equal to the FM7 or FH shots. Now I just viewed on my PC on my 27" monitor and WOW what a difference, the crappy textures, aliasing, and 2d cut outs make it look like a ps3 game in gameplay shots. There really is no comparison. FH7 at 4k wipes the floor with it, let alone FH4 which even at 1080p looks miles better.

You really cant judge any of these pics by looking on your phone.

More FH4 shots please! Some gameplay ones too

According to digital foundry, FH4 on X1X runs at an equivelant of Ultra settings on PC on 4k mode, and mostly ultra and some high on 60fps mode. Interstingly, the trees were said to look better in the distant on X1X over PC! Really impressive stuff by the X

So I was messing around with the drone in winter, and I ran across a string of discoveries.

Your drone leaves tracks in the snow, as do the sheep.
360gQnh.jpg

Then I discovered the sheep run away from the drone too, but are still afraid of the car. Using the drone and car you can confuse them causing them to freak out.
aPvcBCO.jpg

I then discovered that as my car was sitting the snow accumulated on it and turned into ice. I walk out to this crap every morning in the early part of winter. I hate it, but it's a great detail.
NYJtkkv.jpg

If you catch the sheep/deer/etc in your headlights, their eyes glow, but only the pupils and only from dead-on. I already knew the sheep had thicker wool in the winter, but the attention given to them is just silly.
mm2XnHt.jpg

I just spent two hours of this game without moving the car...

All of these shots look amazing, im joulus sitting here with my brick Xb1. Are thoughs shots from X or PC?
I'm using a PC, but the honest truth is most of what I'm posting will look the same on X1X. I'm only getting more MSAA samples, some draw distance improvements, and things like LOD changes happen further away. My biggest benefit is the frame-rate. With everything set to extreme (or as high as possible, some settings stop before then) I'm locked at 60 at 4K limited by my monitor.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
Forza Horizon 4 gameplay (PC version 1080p 8xMSAA extreme settings)
30040958377_5fba535ef3_o.png

30040960307_cb0403e224_o.png

44257977514_af89d36666_o.png

44257979464_2f2ddf57fb_o.png

44928576942_d8eb94eb22_o.png

44257998944_b5f4ac45c7_o.png

44928567012_f1253b1284_o.png

44928568102_8ab1598aa8_o.png

I have over 300 screenshots of this game after 3h of gameplay :messenger_grinning_sweat:

thelastword

Banned

It looks like Horizon is using CA, it's what I'm seeing from the left side mirror here, this is definitely not MB, though some side detail looks a bit blurred too, like reduced detail at times in the environment.... through mirrors et al.....Detail in the rear view mirror looks much sharper, that's for sure...

same TOD
projectcars2_201802279ieyx.png

43152840080_29e0838539_o.jpg

monza
projectcars2_201803140yi6e.png

43152839840_9fd5b96aba_o.jpg

43152840200_de37e2a47e_o.jpg

gameplay models
44053092985_049a007273_o.jpg

44053093555_de37e2a47e_o.jpg
Nice comparison, GT looks leagues ahead. Cars, lighting foliage, asphalt detail are just in another league. Your last two shots speaks to the particles/dust/gravel effects I always speak of that's so good in GT. Yet that lightning...….Look at the pic showing the red car in GT and two cars ahead, look at how the sun hits the right side of that second car (the blue one) and then a bit more subtly the car ahead, which seems to be a bit more occluded from the sun by the trees. This is just lighting perfection....

So forget about all the shading details GT does better, better PBR and general ATD, the lighting is just on another level and it's the reason why GT is the only game that fools people into believing it's a live race or real at times, it's that good. I shudder to think of what PD will do with Navi hardware and a good CPU at 4K....These guys easily outshine others who work on superior hardware....

Last edited:
I’m still trying to find the “catch” with FH4. Usually with open world games there’s a sizeable graphical compromise somewhere, but I’m just not finding it. It’s unbelievable how it manages to look so good so consistently.

I’m still trying to find the “catch” with FH4. Usually with open world games there’s a sizeable graphical compromise somewhere, but I’m just not finding it. It’s unbelievable how it manages to look so good so consistently.

It's also sitting currently at a 92 on OpenCritic so it's not just about it's incredible performance and visuals.

LostDonkey

And Horizon DOES use CA. Though its not as if you've found some secret. The option is there in the settings to toggle it on/off. But if you had the game youd know that

:messenger_winking:

Last edited:

LostDonkey

I swear PC2 looks better than GTS. Would like to see a proper deep comparison but it always seems to have been avoided.

Wonder why...

Last edited:

Inviusx

I swear PC2 looks better than GTS. Would like to see a proper deep comparison but it always seems to have been avoided.

Wonder why...

I would be happy to post some in depth GTS pics if someone wants to start by posting some PC2 pics.

Can't do it with the ones above as GTS doesn't have a snow track.

BenBuja

Neo Member
Is there a way to take screenshots that don't look super dull when you're playing in HDR? I used the photo mode and the pictures turn out like this:

Last edited:
Is there a way to take screenshots that don't look super dull when you're playing in HDR? I used the photo mode and the pictures turn out like this:

It could be what you're seeing with the HDR active differs from what a regular TV would shot. Can you deactivate HDR and try taking another shot to see how it comes out.

PC Photo Mode

k9nCE2W.jpg

05aR1dj.jpg

Well since you are GAF's definitive source for unbiased facts/judgements, I think it is safe to say that this thread can be shut down. You have obviously shown us the way and we shall be forever grateful.

thelastword

Banned
Gameplay Shots DC vs Horizon Foliage Comparison....."Cars in shot in both games btw"

Horizon
pXUqbDn.png

DC
MXf7XeR.png

Horizon
Ac1d6zP.png

DC
7as5Uo7.png

More DC Foliage Shots....JPG's btw, I think that was before PNG's, so it looks even better.....In essence, the foliage in DC is way superior in terms of detail and authenticity, that's on top of the lighting and how it bounces off and through it, with properly casted shadows et al.

sUgJWlZ.jpg

hRWWz5I.jpg

QfLfw5B.jpg

GPanhy5.jpg

Of course we all know DC crushes in motion......but below are some vids of GTS in gameplay and replay. "In motion" the way we play.....plus the best replays in the business...

Last edited:
Fellas, is it possible post captured pics from our forzamotorsports acc on here with the
thingie ? I got lots hot salty pics for thelastdelusion, thx.

Last edited:

LostDonkey

DC
7as5Uo7.png

Check out the levitating trees on the left. Unmatched attention to detail!

😂😂😂

The whole shot is horrendous. The textures are horrible the AF goes about a metre from the car before everything becomes one solid colour. The lighting is really bad, trees look ok but nowhere near Horizon levels. I mean if this is a shot youre using to compare to Horizon youre done lol

😂😂😂

The whole shot is horrendous. The textures are horrible the AF goes about a metre from the car before everything becomes one solid colour. The lighting is really bad, trees look ok but nowhere near Horizon levels. I mean if this is a shot youre using to compare to Horizon youre done lol

Do you have any idea how much sweat , blood and tears he had to pour in to find the best pic.

Top Bottom