• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

rashbeep

Banned
Do you have any idea how much sweat , blood and tears he had to pour in to find the best pic.

Not very much as that was a cross post from the other forum. But still fh4 manages to have better foliage in game than what is shown there because the xbx and pc versions exist. Unfortunately for DC that's as good as you'll ever see the foliage look in game (and it looks terrible) because of a lack of pro support. What a shame.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Gameplay Shots DC vs Horizon Foliage Comparison....."Cars in shot in both games btw"

Horizon
pXUqbDn.png

DC
MXf7XeR.png

Horizon
Ac1d6zP.png

DC
7as5Uo7.png

More DC Foliage Shots....JPG's btw, I think that was before PNG's, so it looks even better.....In essence, the foliage in DC is way superior in terms of detail and authenticity, that's on top of the lighting and how it bounces off and through it, with properly casted shadows et al.

sUgJWlZ.jpg

hRWWz5I.jpg

QfLfw5B.jpg

GPanhy5.jpg

Of course we all know DC crushes in motion......but below are some vids of GTS in gameplay and replay. "In motion" the way we play.....plus the best replays in the business...

its kinda funny that you cherry picked shots and yet the trees in Forza look better ,like somebody pointed out in one shot of trees in DC they are floating on the left. Just face it at the moment Forza Horizon 4 is the game to beat, when ever this happens and xbox get an awesome game you come on and post a 300 word essay as to why PS4 game is better, yes PS4 has awesome games but you know what so does xbox

*looks at FH4 gameplay screenshots* *shudder* *shudder* I will never play Forza Horizon 4 because I have a Sony shock collar that electrocutes me whenever I have an inkling of praise for Xbox... like now... OW!... OK, OK, sorry Sony... I will try redeem myself... I'm shuddering guys... *shudder* I was saving my shuddering until Polyphony releases GT Sport: Championship Edition in 7 years.... whoa, I just can't believe how good Forza Horizon 4 looks by Playground Games, which is owned by Microsoft, on Xbox One... OW! Sorry Sony!

My Lord and King Sony, I have spent the last 4 days on my Sony VAIO hooked up to my Sony PSVR trying to find a comparison pic... God bless me!... I finally found it!... hehehe, take that Forza! Forza undoubtedly has the worst graphics of all time! ...... THE END

Nooooo! Stop posting photorealistic gameplay photos from Forza Horizon 4, they...are...so...beautiful!!! OW! I mean ugly!! ...... Just wait guys, Sony will have realtime ray tracing and atomic-level detail in just 7 years, give or take 5 years.... Oh no, somebody posted another Forza screenshot... it's soooo pristine and the rendering solution is sooooo technically superior to GT.... OW! OW! I mean INFERIOR! Inferior I say! ....

This is the last word until next time: GT will literally blow your eyes and ears off! I shudder to think of how that will feel.... Fortunately, I have about 7 years left before I cannot see or hear anymore...... Driveclub!

*looks at FH4 gameplay screenshots* *shudder* *shudder* I will never play Forza Horizon 4 because I have a Sony shock collar that electrocutes me whenever I have an inkling of praise for Xbox... like now... OW!... OK, OK, sorry Sony... I will try redeem myself... I'm shuddering guys... *shudder* I was saving my shuddering until Polyphony releases GT Sport: Championship Edition in 7 years.... whoa, I just can't believe how good Forza Horizon 4 looks by Playground Games, which is owned by Microsoft, on Xbox One... OW! Sorry Sony!

My Lord and King Sony, I have spent the last 4 days on my Sony VAIO hooked up to my Sony PSVR trying to find a comparison pic... God bless me!... I finally found it!... hehehe, take that Forza! Forza undoubtedly has the worst graphics of all time! ...... THE END

Nooooo! Stop posting photorealistic gameplay photos from Forza Horizon 4, they...are...so...beautiful!!! OW! I mean ugly!! ...... Just wait guys, Sony will have realtime ray tracing and atomic-level detail in just 7 years, give or take 5 years.... Oh no, somebody posted another Forza screenshot... it's soooo pristine and the rendering solution is sooooo technically superior to GT.... OW! OW! I mean INFERIOR! Inferior I say! ....

This is the last word until next time: GT will literally blow your eyes and ears off! I shudder to think of how that will feel.... Fortunately, I have about 7 years left before I cannot see or hear anymore...... Driveclub!

You nailed that %110 ...what sad life tbh for a grown ass man.

Some more Project Cars 2 on PC:

Given PCars2 is not a new game anymore, it can still look ridiculous at times. This game on PC has fooled me more times than any other game. There are hundreds of mod cars to download, mods that fix some of the issues it does have, and a few pretty good re-shade mods that completely take it over the top. With mods Pcars is above even Horizon 4 IMO, though they are totally different games. Too bad mods and Windows games don't get along without breaking the games.

Gameplay Shots DC vs Horizon Foliage Comparison....."Cars in shot in both games btw"

Horizon
pXUqbDn.png

DC
MXf7XeR.png

Horizon
Ac1d6zP.png

DC
7as5Uo7.png

More DC Foliage Shots....JPG's btw, I think that was before PNG's, so it looks even better.....In essence, the foliage in DC is way superior in terms of detail and authenticity, that's on top of the lighting and how it bounces off and through it, with properly casted shadows et al.

sUgJWlZ.jpg

hRWWz5I.jpg

QfLfw5B.jpg

GPanhy5.jpg

Of course we all know DC crushes in motion......but below are some vids of GTS in gameplay and replay. "In motion" the way we play.....plus the best replays in the business...

"Of course we all know" ""In motion" the way we play.....plus the best replays in the business..."

I seriously have to ask, have you been given notes? I see you pop up all over GAF with a very heavy handed Sony-only agenda, and honestly it comes across as if a focus group were involved. It's all well and good that you like what you like, but you have no objectivity in your arguments and appear to hold outright contempt towards anyone who disagrees. We're all having a good time here, and anytime a new game becomes king, something gets to be better to de-throne it, we all win. most of us play everything anyways :messenger_peace:

Your FH4 images appear to be on it's lowest settings btw. Why? Some dead giveaways are missing occlusion from the leaves on the ground and a bunch of missing plants all over. This is in the same area at the same time of day with the same car. I have to set everything pretty much at low settings to get the image you posted. This is with everything set to Ultra, not extreme which is how I usually play. This is how the X1X displays the game.

Your pic:
pXUqbDn.png

In-game: high follow cam - Ultra settings
N2mjcyD.jpg

In-game: high follow cam - Back to extreme settings
9Np9dLP.jpg

Driveclub did a LOT of things extremely well and was a fun racing game. Even now it's gorgeous. The weather effects were terrific, the cloud effects were great, and the game has self-reflection on the cars, something FH4 can't even tout. But frankly, the game is old and in many places it shows. It's a very limited arcade racer with almost no off-track detail as you show yourself with the floating tree image, and why should it have detail there? About 1% of people will ever look there as you can't go there and there is no reason to go exploring in an outright old-school arcade racer. That's the huge difference with FH4, you can drive anywhere at all, so everything has to be a certain consistency across the board. The fact that people are still taking the shots they are speaks to the game's visuals. In motion the game is better. The dynamic skyboxes are unmatched. Weather effects while not as dramatic as Driveclub are very well executed. The draw distance is vast, and the detail in everything is at a high level, everywhere. Driveclub has well-crafted tracks, but Horizon 4 has an entire well-crafted world. Right now, especially if you take into consideration the vast differences in what both games have to render at any given time, Horizon 4 just has it's boot on Driveclub's neck. Don't worry though, just give it a year and something will probably de-throne it too, hopefully.

In-game: Drone mode
lukhG3x.jpg

In-game: Drone mode (UI off)
K0oSThN.jpg

In game: Done mode (UI off)
ZSVAYVb.jpg

The foliage isn't exactly terrible in FH4 either, and reacts pretty convincingly to light, including the ones on your car. Keep in mind every single one of these trees, shrubs, blades of grass look different each season, and they all are affected by weather effects. Tree have trunks and branches that move independently, and at different intensities based on wind and rain levels.
4deg4PC.jpg

sPztRIR.jpg

Dontero

Banned
Problem with Pcars is that game looks only good in photomode and with some great cherry picks. I have Pcars2 on my PC and game looks clearly level below gts,f7,fh4 or even assetto corsa.
They do have very nice car models but their lighting is just meh.

Though i don't blame them, they don't have huge studio and they are basically crowdfunded to begin with.
Assetto Corsa has very GT5ish lighting model without its issues. It is step behind GTS for sure but it is very realisting under certain conditions.

Foxbat

Banned
I dont know why you guys keep him around, it doesn't look good for a forum like this that is supposed to be a bit more 'high brow' than your average gaming forum.

I don't get it either. He would get along well over at Gamespots System Wars, but that place is a disaster of a forum. While Gaf isn't quite the place it used to be, you would think it would be several rungs up the ladder from something like that.

ShapeGSX

I am ashamed to admit that I spent way too much time taking pictures of the 370Z in Forza Horizon 4 on My Xbox One X tonight.

I will upload more tomorrow.

byj1Fdb_d.jpg

Kagey K

Banned
thelastword thelastword Well...what do you have to say for yourself?

Make it good.
I’ve done my best to defend him previously, even if I disagree with him most of the time. Just because I felt like he was getting dogpiled and didn’t want to see people shut out.

Unfortunately it looks like this is his entire agenda and now that he decided to stoop this low. I’m done.

Show the best shots of your game vs the best shots of the game you hate. Don’t purposely make one look better or worse. If your game is the best. The screens will prove it.

Magik85

Some of my old Project Cars 1 (2015) shots.
As always - standard PS4 and no photomode.
While PC2 improved alot things like foliage (replacing 2D with 3D), i think the first game did great job making lighting more realistic.

projectcars_201705101w5fyb.png

projectcars_201705101chdei.png

projectcars_2017051109xc1b.png

projectcars_201710061zwidq.png

projectcars_201603251badm6.png

I am ashamed to admit that I spent way too much time taking pictures of the 370Z in Forza Horizon 4 on My Xbox One X tonight.

I will upload more tomorrow.

Did you enjoy doing it? If so why be ashamed? There is no such thing as wasting time enjoying yourself. I just blew two hours taking pictures of FH3 and then the same shots in FH4. The differences are mind boggling. I thought FH3 was a great looking game, but Christ on a bike does FH4 make it look bad. It's like when I went from my N64 to the Dreamcast.

Sample: This is my General livery I made back in FM5. It's accurate to the last detail, original cars were green painted Corvette Flame Red, so I used a green car and covered it with Flame Red decals, then did the livery so when you open the trunk or look inside in Forzavista it's green like the 001, 002, and 003 production cars were. That last bit was entirely unimportant, but the point was, the lighting in FH3 turned it into this:
83bT3qH.jpg

Which was closer to a washed out Hemi orange. Flame Red is a redder orange. The lighting in FH4 shows color so much better. In motion the difference in the wave animations on the shore are also a nice step up.
ubwXkrt.jpg

I won't litter the thread with any more of these, they are in this album for anyone that's curious:

I'll add some weather shots to it tomorrow.

I don't usually like to take part on these discussions and i know that it's a topic for comparing games of this genre, but i think it's a bit unfair to compare the graphic quality of a closed loop game like DC or GTS with an open world. There are so many stuff on display on a game like FH4 and that being an open world game make it an extreme achievement, especially if we consider the fact that on X it runs at the same quality as the PC version.

And to be honest, GTS doesn't really look that pretty if you don't really try to make it pretty. Yes, on fixed shots everything can be amazing, but on general gameplay is just another okeyish racer (graphic wise). I prefer the look of PC2. DC is another story, but the graphic engine is limited in drawing a very specific play area not a whole world.

I mean nitpicking on leaves, or certain details that might not be that good is somewhat obscure to my eyes and doesn't really help.

I'm mostly a PS4 player, but boy FH4 set a new bar for this genre.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I’ve done my best to defend him previously, even if I disagree with him most of the time. Just because I felt like he was getting dogpiled and didn’t want to see people shut out.

Unfortunately it looks like this is his entire agenda and now that he decided to stoop this low. I’m done.

Show the best shots of your game vs the best shots of the game you hate. Don’t purposely make one look better or worse. If your game is the best. The screens will prove it.

Its not the factthat said member just likes Sony, its the fact they will have a go or post essays at other members to try and prove them wrong. At first i thought it was a parody account but to put so much detail into shitting on xbox it cant be. Sony has some awesome games i know but so does xbox. Its just the constant xbox bashing by said member is getting ridic

Anyway back on topic, the demo of Forza Horizon 4 is probibly the best looking demo i ever played. I didnt play it a lot as i dont want to spoil the game for myself. Cant wait to play this.

Full game here i come

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I don't usually like to take part on these discussions and i know that it's a topic for comparing games of this genre, but i think it's a bit unfair to compare the graphic quality of a closed loop game like DC or GTS with an open world. There are so many stuff on display on a game like FH4 and that being an open world game make it an extreme achievement, especially if we consider the fact that on X it runs at the same quality as the PC version.

And to be honest, GTS doesn't really look that pretty if you don't really try to make it pretty. Yes, on fixed shots everything can be amazing, but on general gameplay is just another okeyish racer (graphic wise). I prefer the look of PC2. DC is another story, but the graphic engine is limited in drawing a very specific play area not a whole world.

I mean nitpicking on leaves, or certain details that might not be that good is somewhat obscure to my eyes and doesn't really help.

I'm mostly a PS4 player, but boy FH4 set a new bar for this genre.
But doesnt the fact that FH4 looking so good against a closed circut racer make it even more a marvel at what they done.

Is it not fair on the closed circut racer that FH4 looks so good?

But doesnt the fact that FH4 looking so good against a closed circut racer make it even more a marvel at what they done.

Is it not fair on the closed circut racer that FH4 looks so good?

That's why i'm saying is an extreme achievement and i hope games like need for speed step up and bring something better in the future. It will be better for all of us.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
That's why i'm saying is an extreme achievement and i hope games like need for speed step up and bring something better in the future. It will be better for all of us.

Yeah its quite something when a game does what this does and looks as good as it does, certain members in here are loosing it lol

thelastword

Banned
BusierDonkey BusierDonkey

"Of course we all know" ""In motion" the way we play.....plus the best replays in the business..."

Then post vids of the games in motion, side by side....This is where all aspects of the rendering comes together....and we can see which is superior or closer to realism...That is; better lighting, dense foliage, superior rendering methods etc...It's an open world game which runs better than Horizon 3, it means it does somethings worse than FH3 like lod pop-in and reduced texture lods. Shadows and foliage are drawn inches from the car at high speeds, it's all there in the DF PC video or pretty much any comparison online at this point...

I seriously have to ask, have you been given notes? I see you pop up all over GAF with a very heavy handed Sony-only agenda, and honestly it comes across as if a focus group were involved. It's all well and good that you like what you like, but you have no objectivity in your arguments and appear to hold outright contempt towards anyone who disagrees. We're all having a good time here, and anytime a new game becomes king, something gets to be better to de-throne it, we all win. most of us play everything anyways :messenger_peace:

Why are you into baseless accusations instead of discussing the games, and let it be known, this is not a thread about Horizon, it's a thread about all racing games, so H4 just came out and people are stoked, that's fair, but remember, people are just here to discuss the technicals of all games no matter how long they've been released...

Your FH4 images appear to be on it's lowest settings btw. Why? Some dead giveaways are missing occlusion from the leaves on the ground and a bunch of missing plants all over. This is in the same area at the same time of day with the same car. I have to set everything pretty much at low settings to get the image you posted. This is with everything set to Ultra, not extreme which is how I usually play. This is how the X1X displays the game.

These are not my PICS, these are Nib95's pics who happens to have a Beefy PC, you can play this game at 1080 high settings on a lowly 750ti at 30fps, so I don't see why anyone who have much better kit would play at low. This game even runs better than FH3 on account of more pop-in, aggressive lod and a few more compromises. You go look at the DF PC breakdown vs consoles and see how little of a hit this game takes in framerate and IQ generally from best settings to low....So the hit is so inconsequential yet a guy with a beefy PC plays at low? Is that your argument.....but let's see....

The pic I posted...
pXUqbDn.png

In-game: high follow cam - Ultra settings..Your pic.
N2mjcyD.jpg

First off, this is not even 1:1 and the comparison I posted was more about tree comparisons than ground textures and you really don't want to go on about ground textures, because it's a real issue for many PC players at max settings...Still in the comparison, I was referring to the quality of the tree rendering in DC which is superior to Forza Horizon, more dense, accepts lights and displays shadows better......and that very argument is maintained with all of your pics as well as the ones I posted...The 2d Crosshatch textures on trees in horizon is clearly inferior to DC on-top of receiving lights and displaying shadows much better. Which is further clarified on the non-comparison zoomed DC foliage pics I posted.....I don't think you want to zoom on these crosshatched trees in horizon btw...

As for the argument.....Your pic is in closer proximity to the car, angles are not quite the same. Should I say that because shadows are not drawn in front of the tree trunks in your pic that your settings are on low? How comes I can clearly see the rocks in background/mountain on your pic, but not on mine. It means they're not angled the same. Did you purposefully do this to try to show some stark difference? You say they're the same, where are the white clouds in your pic, shouldn't that affect how dark a scene appears, which is all blue on yours. Zooming closer to your car to improve lod etc...and you're the one doing the accusing...

K0oSThN.jpg

How about this pic, your pic. You see that, texture soup just behind the car and you want to pretend that this game does not have issues with textures or drawing them in at any point in the game. Yet, I never railed on horizon for that in particular, regular forza players have though, from the time of the demo... and it is a big issue....Also, where are the shadows in the background, the sun is still peeking in the background there......Yet, I was simply comparing the trees and the rendering tech behind it, which was quite visible in any pic that you can post from lowest settings to highest.

sPztRIR.jpg

And what exactly is going on here.....What is that supposed to be?

Last edited:

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
Note this is only for the troll above(don't take this serious, like of all his posts)

Since he thinks everything looks better in DC, lets do it his way
Driveclub in game
42776950251_96282b4953_o.png

42776947961_8f8f089de5_o.png

28872119108_d7a44b5438_o.png

With no shame he can still talk after been busted with low setting photo's for the 1000x time. Also funny he always uses other peoples screenshots because he doesn't own the games he call ugly or beautiful.

Note: DC is a amzing looking game btw.

Last edited:

ShapeGSX

Then post vids of the games in motion, side by side....This is where all aspects of the rendering comes together....and we can see which is superior or closer to realism...That is; better lighting, dense foliage, superior rendering methods etc...It's an open world game which runs better than Horizon 3, it means it does somethings worse than FH3 like lod pop-in and reduced texture lods. Shadows and foliage are drawn inches from the car at high speeds, it's all there in the DF PC video or pretty much any comparison online at this point...

Why are you into baseless accusations instead of discussing the games, and let it be known, this is not a thread about Horizon, it's a thread about all racing games, so H4 just came out and people are stoked, that's fair, but remember, people are just here to discuss the technicals of all games no matter how long they've been released...

These are not my PICS, these are Nib95's pics who happens to have a Beefy PC, you can play this game at 1080 high settings on a lowly 750ti at 30fps, so I don't see why anyone who have much better kit would play at low. This game even runs better than FH3 on account of more pop-in, aggressive lod and a few more compromises. You go look at the DF PC breakdown vs consoles and see how little of a hit this game takes in framerate and IQ generally from best settings to low....So the hit is so inconsequential yet a guy with a beefy PC plays at low? Is that your argument.....but let's see....

The pic I posted...
pXUqbDn.png

N2mjcyD.jpg

First off, this is not even 1:1 and the comparison I posted was more about tree comparisons than ground textures and you really don't want to go on about ground textures, because it's a real issue for many PC players at max settings...Still in the comparison, I was referring to the quality of the tree rendering in DC which is superior to Forza Horizon, more dense, accepts lights and displays shadows better......and that very argument is maintained with all of your pics as well as the ones I posted...The 2d Crosshatch textures on trees in horizon is clearly inferior to DC on-top of receiving lights and displaying shadows much better. Which is further clarified on the non-comparison zoomed DC foliage pics I posted.....I don't think you want to zoom on these crosshatched trees in horizon btw...

As for the argument.....Your pic is in closer proximity to the car, angles are not quite the same. Should I say that because shadows are not drawn in front of the tree trunks in your pic that your settings are on low? How comes I can clearly see the rocks in background/mountain on your pic, but not on mine. It means they're not angled the same. Did you purposefully do this to try to show some stark difference? You say they're the same, where are the white clouds in your pic, shouldn't that affect how dark a scene appears, which is all blue on yours. Zooming closer to your car to improve lod etc...and you're the one doing the accusing...

K0oSThN.jpg

How about this pic, your pic. You see that, texture soup just behind the car and you want to pretend that this game does not have issues with textures or drawing them in at any point in the game. Yet, I never railed on horizon for that in particular, regular forza players have though, from the time of the demo... and it is a big issue....Also, where are the shadows in the background, the sun is still peeking in the background there......Yet, I was simply comparing the trees and the rendering tech behind it, which was quite visible in any pic that you can post from lowest settings to highest.

sPztRIR.jpg

I'll answer one of your questions, and you can answer one of mine.

In the last picture, he is showing the light from headlights filtering through vegetation, reflecting off the leaves and casting long shadows on the terrain. The shadows from Forza Horizon 4's headlights are fantastic.

Here's my question. What, exactly, is a 2D crosshatch texture? Those tree textures look great to me.

Arias05

Banned

The pic I posted...
pXUqbDn.png

N2mjcyD.jpg

K0oSThN.jpg

sPztRIR.jpg

Correction Nib95 is playing on his base og XB1. That's why it doesn't look anywhere as good as X/pc ultra settings. If I were you use pics from people playing on X/pc ultra those without LOD bug

Secondly FH4 foliage surpasses dc easily

LostDonkey

It just seems to me that TLW isnt interested in discussing Next Gen Racers at all. He is only interested if it is on his preferred platform and will actively visit other forums searching for the worst possible cherry picked shots to make other games look bad.

Why use other users shots? Why not post your own? Why go to the lengths you do just to try and make a corporation who, lets be honest, doesnt give a flying F about you, out to be some untouchable entity. The video game industry has a multitude of talent that should be celebrated not constantly shit on like some 5 year old child comparing wrestling cards.

Its now got the the point that this is no longer a thread about graphics face offs but about one users unwavering, undying support for a certain console maker. You have totally ruined this thread with your garbage posts, attitude toward other platforms and games and pathetic attemps to purposely make any and all MS games look as bad as possible with ridiculous comparisons and claims.

Your attitude stinks. Youve ruined this thread.

😠

Last edited:

The pic I posted...
pXUqbDn.png

N2mjcyD.jpg

K0oSThN.jpg

sPztRIR.jpg

I've been discussing every game since I started posting here. I've praised GTS for it's lighting, Forza for the on-track detail, Pcars for it's damage modeling, Driveclub for it's over-the top effects and great arcade sense of speed. I praise Horizon for it's overall package and really well executed world. I'd say that I'm a pretty friendly poster overall. You're getting upset because I called you out for coming across like a shill, which you did, and for using a low settings shot, which it is. Don't say my accusations aren't baseless, you've done similar things in the past. I'm a new poster, but I've lurked GAF since it first started, nd since you first started. Seems to me you lose the plot anytime a non-Sony platform exclusive is released. The PS4 has some great games, but other games can be great too, no need to sperg out over it.

You make demands that I get a shot that's 1:1 with the one you posted, but the differences you point out are late afternoon vs late afternoon +10 mins (You obviously haven't played the game or you'd realise a day cycle in FH4 is very long and is only selectable through blueprint races), trees ever so slightly out of alignment, and you say my shot has clouds in it, which it doesn't, but your shot does. My FOV is set different than in your shot. In the forest shots you assume the sun is behind the trees, but this shot was taken at noon during a fixed time custom blueprint race in heavy cloud cover, which is why the headlights are active (they are automatic, I can't control them.)

You say you want discussion, but for several pages we have been discussing things perfectly amicably, and then you post some videos and proclaim yourself correct. You roared a mighty roar and demanded we conform to your opinion. How do you expect to be taken seriously at this point?

Driveclub in game

Speaking of texture soup.

In the last picture, he is showing the light from headlights filtering through vegetation, reflecting off the leaves and casting long shadows on the terrain. The shadows from Forza Horizon 4's headlights are fantastic.

Here's my question. What, exactly, is a 2D crosshatch texture? Those tree textures look great to me.

He's talking about how the foliage on the branches are arranged in a criss-cross pattern. From afar they look fine, but as you get closer, you can see the pattern more visibly in still shots. In motion the trees are always being blown around except on calm days in the game, so most people don't see it when playing but it is there.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
It just seems to me that TLW isnt interested in disgussing Next Gen Racers at all. He is only interested if it is on his preferred platform and will actively visit other forums searching for the worst possible cherry picked shots to make other games look bad.

Why use other users shots? Why not post your own? Why go to the lengths you do just to try and make a corporation who, lets be honest, doesnt give a flying F about you, out to be some untouchable entity. The video game industry has a multitude of talent that should be celebrated not constantly shit on like some 5 year old child comparing wrestling cards.

Its now got the the point that this is no longer a thread about graphics face offs but about one users unwavering, undying support for a certain console maker. You have totally ruined this thread with your garbage posts, attitude toward other platforms and games and pathetic attemps to purposely make any and all MS games look as bad as possible with ridiculous comparisons and claims.

Your attitude stinks. Youve ruined this thread.

😠

Post of the day sir 👍🏻

Zannrebel

The pic I posted...
pXUqbDn.png

N2mjcyD.jpg

K0oSThN.jpg

sPztRIR.jpg

Nibs is playing on a base xbox one...

thelastword

Banned
Correction Nib95 is playing on his base og XB1. That's why it doesn't look anywhere as good as X/pc ultra settings. If I were you use pics from people playing on X/pc ultra those without LOD bug

Secondly FH4 foliage surpasses dc easily
Thanks for that correction. I may have gotten that mixed up then.....

Still, the poster was trying to impress that this was a bad comparison and assumed settings were on low....He just said settings are on "low", when even if this is XBOX, it's still not on low, as many posters keep touting how great it looks on XBOX throughout this thread etc....

I was taken aback, because why would anyone post horizon settings on low to make a comparison, when even on the best settings there are clear compromises...Besides, I was not even talking about IQ, I was talking about tree foliage and perhaps I should have clarified that a bit more...Well in this case, this is vanilla XB1 vs base PS4 afterall, because there's no pro upgrades here. DC is also an early game on PS4 as some have said, vs a game late into the cycle of the XBOX, so in that regards, it's a fair comparison.....

I see that some folk have no problem posting 8k PC shots downsampled or settings at max to compare with GTS and DC, because they know we cannot stretch IQ further on these games, and yet people cry foul if a game is not on extreme vs a vanilla PS4 console....... That's why you will find most of my arguments are not on IQ, but mostly on rendering methods..... Superior rendering methods are greater than IQ in these arguments, because as soon as games like GTS and DC can hit 4k, max AF, AA etc... you will see that most of the arguments that people were using were IQ ones instead of more tasking rendering methods.

This is why I stress these games are to be compared in motion, it's where we really see the brilliance of everything coming together... and which game's lighting, cars on screen, foliage, particle effects, ATD, crowds etc... all come together during play.....That's why, in vids, DC and GTS comes out on top because they utilize superior rendering techniques than the competition...So my very first response to the poster was asking him to post some vids, some comparison vids showing different aspects of the games etc...

So all these photomode and even drone shots in this thread, why? When some of you posters don't want GT guys to post photomode shots, which I agree with. You downplay GTS replays, only because Forza is not on that level, and again it comes down to superior use of the hardware. Photomode shots are just IQ shots, we need to see more in-game shots, still, I always stress that the games in motion will always be the best form of comparison...

Last edited:

Still, the poster was trying to impress that this was a bad comparison and assumed settings were on low....He just said settings are on "low", when even if this is XBOX, it's still not on low, as many posters keep touting how great it looks on XBOX throughout this thread etc....

I was taken aback, because why would anyone post horizon settings on low to make a comparison, when even on the best settings there are clear compromises...Besides, I was not even talking about IQ, I was talking about tree foliage and perhaps I should have clarified that a bit more...Well in this case, this is vanilla XB1 vs base PS4 afterall, because there's no pro upgrades here. DC is also an early game on PS4 as some have said, vs a game late into the cycle of the XBOX, so in that regards, it's a fair comparison.....

I see that some folk have no problem posting 8k PC shots downsampled or settings at max to compare with GTS and DC, because they know we cannot stretch IQ further on these games, and yet people cry foul if a game is not on extreme vs a vanilla PS4 console....... That's why you will find most of my arguments are not on IQ, but mostly on rendering methods..... Superior rendering methods are greater than IQ in these arguments, because as soon as games like GTS and DC can hit 4k, max AF, AA etc... you will see that most of the arguments that people were using were IQ ones instead of more tasking rendering methods.

This is why I stress these games are to be compared in motion, it's where we really see the brilliance of everything coming together... and which game's lighting, cars on screen, foliage, particle effects, ATD, crowds etc... all come together during play.....That's why, in vids, DC and GTS comes out on top because they utilize superior rendering techniques than the competition...So my very first response to the poster was asking him to post some vids, some comparison vids showing different aspects of the games etc...

So all these photomode and even drone shots in this thread, why? When some of you posters don't want GT guys to post photomode shots, which I agree with. You downplay GTS replays, only because Forza is not on that level, and again it comes down to superior use of the hardware. Photomode shots are just IQ shots, we need to see more in-game shots, still, I always stress that the games in motion will always be the best form of comparison...

Make some direct comparison videos then, prove everyone wrong if you're so right. You posted pics, I posted pics, people had their opinions, the world moves on.

Just an fyi, the drones in FH3 and FH4 are completely in-game with none of the photomode IQ additions. They can fly around the map at a much faster rate than most of the cars drive, fly up steep hills quickly and turn/stop on a dime. They can be useful in finding barn finds and bonus boards as well as following other cars around in online mode to watch other people do crazy shit. Basically think if it being a flying bumper cam view. You see a lot of drone pics because they can fly up and onto buildings to get better shots than the camera in photomode which can normally only raise 6 feet up unless you trick it by going off something higher nearby while holding the raise button. The only reason I would use photomode is for the aperture/shutter speed sliders to get a DOF or motion blur. Other than that it really doesn't change the image IQ on the PC version at max. If I wanted to edit the images that's what my PC was primarily built for so I would do it outside the game.

Foxbat

Banned

You're goalpost moving skills are second to none... I'll give you that.

You're going to look far worse than you already are if you want to start comparing anything in motion vs DC and GTS. DC at 30fps isn't going to impress anyone, and GTS really comes apart once you see the game in motion... Outside of the replays that is, which is my guess as to where you specifically are trying to move the goalpost to next. Put FH4, or even F7 against GTS in actual gameplay comparison vids, and GTS will look the least impressive.

thelastword thelastword I think you're just upset because FH4 is the new hotness and Driveclub was a junk 5/10 game that ran at 30fps from a studio that's been dissolved and no longer exists.
Driveclub is a great game as are the other games of the studio. Even Onrush is awesome but people never gave it a chance.

That being said: The rain in Driveclub looks better than the rain in FH4.

It's absolutely fair to compare a game running at the best possible setting on PC to a console game as long as there aren't any visual mods being applied.

The fact is: A PC version of Forza Horizon 4 exists so it's fair to use it for comparison.

GT Sport has the better car models. They aren't being used during gameplay but they exist. I also think that GT Sport still has the better lighting but Playground Games almost catched up.

Now if we're talking environments or the best overall package...

FH4 is the clear winner here and It's not even close when you're actually playing the game (and have played the others).

phil_t98

#SonyToo

Again whats this thread called?

OK, OK, no more words... here is your uncompressed vid that I rendered from a pre-pre-production PS5 that Sony lended to me for being a loyal customer... Sorry for the downscale from 16K resolution...

giphy.gif

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Driveclub is a great game as are the other games of the studio. Even Onrush is awesome but people never gave it a chance.

It's absolutely fair to compare a game running at the best possible setting on PC to a console game as long as there aren't any visual mods being applied.

The fact is: A PC version of Forza Horizon 4 exists so it's fair to use it for comparison.

GT Sport has the better car models. They aren't being used during gameplay but they exist. I also think that GT Sport still has the better lighting but Playground Games almost catched up.

FH4 is the clear winner here and It's not even close when you're actually playing the game (and have played the others).

I agree with you on that, they do exist and shuld be used in comparison. As an xbox owner I have no problem with that at all, so in photo mode GTS can look better but in game play Forza can look better.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons

I agree with you on that, they do exist and shuld be used in comparison. As an xbox owner I have no problem with that at all, so in photo mode GTS can look better but in game play Forza can look better.
Look GTS scape car models are one of the best, the interiors are soo detailed with leather been replicated like no other game has done before and the headlights and taillights are incredible detailed to even more than Forza. But then whe have Forzavista where you have cars with crazy detailed engines and doors/trunk. The interiors are also one of the best and in some cases better than GTS, but GTS has mostly better interiors and interior shaders then Forza. So for me they are equel if whe compare them in scape vs forzavista modes. But in gameplay Forza is on another level no contest.
One game has cars look like this(Forzavista)
42459489251_bce4db8e36_o.png

the other one has cars look like this(Scape mode)
gt-sport_interior_Nissan_GT-R.jpg

They both look incredible in there on way and are the best models out there.

LostDonkey

Aww thats a shame. It looks great though.

There are some very good timelapse video coming out now that show the weather and lighting effects. Top drawer stuff.

I own all modern consoles and a gaming pc.

I just fired up FH4 in my XOX and played for a few hours.

It’s the most graphically impressive racing game I’ve ever seen. Mind blown.

Last edited:

Mattyp

Gold Member
We need more photos and less of the same shits time to completely ignore a few people on here they'll never listen or admit fault, sadly I'm terrible at photos and trying to play to many races to have much time for them. But here's one, I'll try get some more tonight.

X

toQ2zFx.jpg

Last edited:
I own all modern consoles and a gaming pc.

I just fired up FH4 in my XOX and played for a few hours.

It’s the most graphically impressive racing game I’ve ever seen. Mind blown.

I agree. Nothing else even close right now. It's quite amazing what the developers have done. The biggest improvement IMO from the prior forza games, is the lighting. Very realistic looking in every condition that I've seen, granted I'm only a couple hours in. While not quite at the same level as the GT series, I dare say you need side by side comparisons to note a difference. I'm hoping whatever changes/tweaks they have implemented are include in the next motorsport game.

Top Bottom