• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

LostDonkey

So it's not the player car?

Also when i take screens with share button i dont get writing in bottom corner.

Last edited:

FukuDaruma

Thats not a gameplay shot. You cannot turn the camera sideways during gameplay like that in GTS.

You can clearly see some aliasing and lower samples motion blur in the first image.

Creative and talented people make all kinds of amazing shots using the bumper camera in gameplay.
They use their car as the "camera" to shoot other cars.

All these are gameplay with the "Prioritize Frame Rate" 2K mode. The "Prioritize Quality" mode doesn't have Motion Blur but does Supersampling AA.

Apart from Replays, the 1080p60 "Prefer Frame Rate" mode has Motion Blur in gameplay (except in the Cokpit view), and it has great realistic moments:

p2Vbw.gif
EQQjceh.gif

Last edited:

scalman

Someone complained about rough foliage quality in FH4. Yes, msaa has no alpha to coverage component by default and sprites have no msaa, but you can force alpha to coverage in nvidia drivers. Just turn on transparent AA specially for FH4 exe.
PR3bbVp.png

but does that eat fps ? if so i allways find stuff that dont matter for me like those and lowering that to gain some fps.

Connxtion

Personally I think if Forza or any versions had proper lighting like GTS and Driveclub it would look a lot like what you see in GTS/Driveclub.

Lighting goes a long way it making the final image look pleasing to the eye or natural.

The issue with GTS/Driveclub lighting is at times it can make the game look bland/flat and unattractive.

Probably why forza games go for a custom look over natural lighting. Us humans like vibrant colours, it looks more pleasing to our eyes. (Brain)

This is why food packaging is bright colours, gets our attention and we like vibrant colours 😂

carsar

but does that eat fps ? if so i allways find stuff that dont matter for me like those and lowering that to gain some fps.
You can ignore this tweak if you play at 4k. However 1080p+msaa looks awfull because of lack of foliage antialiasing. You can force DSR 4k or use transparent AA with 1080p. DSR looks better, but fps drop would be even bigger(I have 40fps with my 980t at dsr 4K ). With 1080p+trsaa I achieve stable 60fps.
As for me, transparent AA worth it. I use it in some games even at 4k. Crysis 1 has no foliage AA, so 4k doesn't fix the problem, only trsaa can make this game look good.

Last edited:

ShapeGSX

Personally I think if Forza or any versions had proper lighting like GTS and Driveclub it would look a lot like what you see in GTS/Driveclub.

Lighting goes a long way it making the final image look pleasing to the eye or natural.

The issue with GTS/Driveclub lighting is at times it can make the game look bland/flat and unattractive.

Probably why forza games go for a custom look over natural lighting. Us humans like vibrant colours, it looks more pleasing to our eyes. (Brain)

This is why food packaging is bright colours, gets our attention and we like vibrant colours 😂

Car colors are vibrant in real life. Why do you prefer dull colors?

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
That's not true.

GTSport gameplay
g1aqdxi.gif

GTSport replay
UITzngQ.gif
I have to adress this because you said that i made this up on another site and now the same here, and that it doesn't change the detail in the environment and when zooming in on photomode. I have showed it a couple of times now that GTS photomode upgrades the environment also just like the car model. The grass, the trees, reflections, draw distance and shadows all get better in photomode. And GTS only renders the zoomed part in photomode where it enhances everything in that zoomed frame. It happens also in the replays, why do you think it runs 30fps in 1800p mode and 60fps with drops in 1080p if it was the same as gameplay. Here is all the proof

gameplay
49497905717_12b9cc1103_o.png

photomode
49497903897_0eb1427c8d_o.png

gameplay
49497712681_dc07a8a126_o.png

photomode
49497218343_3a11ecdc42_o.png

now lets look at replays, look how much leafs and grass it renders in replays vs gameplay where there is almost no grass and less foliage
gameplay
49497959482_01d5094726_o.png

replay
49497959712_e1dca2e6fd_o.png

and this is for zoom part, where you said that it was bullshit that it renders only whats in frame and enhance it.

normal 28mm
49497974477_9d5d78fcb9_o.png

zoomed 448mm
49497747516_fe00bf6209_o.png

LostDonkey LostDonkey

Turk1993

Man, you sure do have real talent finding the worst bugs in GTS and Driveclub. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

8MPBcaM.png
b6Y3kH7.png
That happens in all the games, Forza included. Just wanted to show that it gets enhanced in photomode and replay. The trees look ok in general, and with the right lighting better than Forza Motorsport 7 even in gameplay. Soo this is not to shit on it :)

Connxtion

Car colors are vibrant in real life. Why do you prefer dull colors?
Never said I prefer dull colours. I said if forza used realistic lighting (and not more on the warmer side of the spectrum) it would look a lot like GTS/Driveclub.

GTS/Driveclub use cool colours/blue light to be specific which is what sunlight is here on earth. Why when we see videos/gifs it looks closer to what we see everyday outside. And thus more realistic, as technically it is.

I prefer the real look, but it can look dull as hell, unlike a lighting system that makes everything vibrant and colourful.

Turk1993

I'd be curious to see what details get enhanced on different tracks

Replay mode enhanced!

Here you can also see the difference pretty clear, there are more grass and leafs. Also the water is now reflecting the area and the trees are higher quality with higher quality shadows.
gameplay
49498224157_dfc4d5972b_o.png

photomode
49498223487_383844a2cb_o.png

l2ounD

I was thinking more in terms of replays but I'd expect photomode to render out a higher quality image given how long it takes. It sucks that it doesnt capture the marbles or the rain hitting the ground though as it would make for more interesting photos.

But in lobbies that you join and spectate the replay system there is missing more stuff than when you're playing like tire marks and way more smoke than the clip shows, which is a bummer cause I would like to capture a more detailed full frame vid. Still can look cool to me. :messenger_sunglasses:

Here you can also see the difference pretty clear, there are more grass and leafs. Also the water is now reflecting the area and the trees are higher quality with higher quality shadows.
gameplay

photomode

Last edited:

benzy

I have to adress this because you said that i made this up on another site and now the same here, and that it doesn't change the detail in the environment and when zooming in on photomode. I have showed it a couple of times now that GTS photomode upgrades the environment also just like the car model. The grass, the trees, reflections, draw distance and shadows all get better in photomode. And GTS only renders the zoomed part in photomode where it enhances everything in that zoomed frame. It happens also in the replays, why do you think it runs 30fps in 1800p mode and 60fps with drops in 1080p if it was the same as gameplay. Here is all the proof

gameplay

photomode

gameplay

photomode

now lets look at replays, look how much leafs and grass it renders in replays vs gameplay where there is almost no grass and less foliage
gameplay

replay

and this is for zoom part, where you said that it was bullshit that it renders only whats in frame and enhance it.

normal 28mm

zoomed 448mm

LostDonkey LostDonkey

Besides the procedural grass increase which varies depending on the track, everything else you're showing in those pics is the photomode benefits from supersampling and better filtering, which is what I mentioned on the other site; shadows and reflections also benefit from supersampling. In photomode there's a limitless filtering for the distant object texture detail, whereas in gameplay there is a cutoff area. That's why in gameplay the closer environment objects to the camera can look the same as in photomode, but after the cutoff area you will see the difference the filtering brings.

Also, GTS is 1800p checkerboarded, so you're outputting that to a 4k native screenshot size which does the opposite of supersampling and upscales the lower native-res output to a larger-sized screengrab. Downsampling GTSport to 1080p to give it some supersampling makes it closer to photomode, it's still not perfect since photomode supersampling multiplier is higher by an unknown amount, but the difference below isn't notably large. Supersampling and better filtering is stuff that you can easily brute force on PC, and why emulated old games can look amazing.

gameplay downsampled
72dGranTurismoSPORT2020.png

photomode
dadGranTurismoSPORT2020.png

And no, replay doesn't add the same benefits of photomode as you described besides the procedural grass fauna (which again the amount depends on the track). Draw distance trees, shadows, reflections, and texture/environment detail filtering is the same as gameplay.

gameplay
797GranTurismoSPORT2020.png

replay
8a3GranTurismoSPORT2020.png

Replays drop to 30fps because of the wider field of view and higher panning camera angles which requires the game to render a larger portion of the environment on screen compared to the limited field of view and low angle with gameplay cameras. Forza 7 on One X also drops the replays and environment intro sequences to 30fps, why do you think that is?

y1ae.jpg

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo

gameplay

photomode

gameplay

photomode

gameplay

replay

normal 28mm

zoomed 448mm

LostDonkey LostDonkey
looks like a lot of cutbacks I gameplay mode to get it running smooth 60fps, as soon as it gets to replay which I believe is 30fps there is more detail

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Besides the procedural grass increase which varies depending on the track, everything else you're showing in those pics is the photomode benefits from supersampling and better filtering, which is what I mentioned on the other site; shadows and reflections also benefit from supersampling. In photomode there's a limitless filtering for the distant object texture detail, whereas in gameplay there is a cutoff area. That's why in gameplay the closer environment objects to the camera can look the same as in photomode, but after the cutoff area you will see the difference the filtering brings.

Also, GTS is 1800p checkerboarded, so you're outputting that to a 4k native screenshot size which does the opposite of supersampling and upscales the lower native-res output to a larger-sized screengrab. Downsampling GTSport to 1080p to give it some supersampling makes it closer to photomode, it's still not perfect since photomode supersampling multiplier is higher by an unknown amount, but the difference below isn't notably large. Supersampling and better filtering is stuff that you can easily brute force on PC, and why emulated old games can look amazing.

gameplay downsampled

photomode

And no, replay doesn't add the same benefits of photomode as you described besides the procedural grass fauna (which again the amount depends on the track). Draw distance trees, shadows, reflections, and texture/environment detail filtering is the same as gameplay.

gameplay

replay

Replays drop to 30fps because of the wider field of view and higher panning camera angles which requires the game to render a larger portion of the environment on screen compared to the limited field of view and low angle with gameplay cameras. Forza 7 on One X also drops the replays and environment intro sequences to 30fps, why do you think that is?

y1ae.jpg
you can defiantly see detail changers in the trees on the left between gameplay and replay mode

scalman

At some point i enjoyed horizon 3,4 rally events more then real dirt rally game. Sometimes its all about how fun it is not just how realistic. And visually it looks much better then anything dirt rally.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I was thinking more in terms of replays but I'd expect photomode to render out a higher quality image given how long it takes. It sucks that it doesnt capture the marbles or the rain hitting the ground though as it would make for more interesting photos.

But in lobbies that you join and spectate the replay system there is missing more stuff than when you're playing like tire marks and way more smoke than the clip shows, which is a bummer cause I would like to capture a more detailed full frame vid. Still can look cool to me. :messenger_sunglasses:

Wait this is real right? 😱

Last edited:

Turk1993

gameplay downsampled

photomode

gameplay

replay

y1ae.jpg
Are you serious? The reflections, added grass, added leafs, higher quality shadows and higher lods has nothing to do with a filter. you can cleary see even leafs and grass been added right next to you and the shadows below you car gets nice and softer in photomode so its not only about the draw distance. You can downsample as much as you whant nothing will change the facts that GTS photomode enchances the graphics like in my picture. And also in replay you can clearly see big difference in draw distance, added leafs, added grass and reflections wich is absent in gameplay. Every map has some sort of enhancement in GTS in photomode and replay. And even if its a so called "filter" as you say its still not the same as gameplay where you see huge differences. And photomode been native 4K is a enhancement in itself wich you are even saying yourself. just look at the trees and the car model and other things like grass and shadows and leafs. you still insist that its gets enhanced.
gameplay
49501526453_bc7ffe72cd_o.jpg

photomode
49502026946_75fdc5f6b4_o.jpg

gameplay
49501988771_fe91c93668_o.png

photomode
49501989721_fd04366108_o.png

and here the added reflection on the water is not because of a filter lol
gameplay

photomode
looks like a lot of cutbacks I gameplay mode to get it running smooth 60fps, as soon as it gets to replay which I believe is 30fps there is more detail
Ofcourse, they prioritized frame rate over graphics in gameplay to make it as smooth as possible wich is a good thing. But saying there are no enchancements in photomode and replays is just untrue, its clear as daylight.

Top Bottom