• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next gen Series X|S Gameplay to be revealed this month

martino

the wait was (too) long
giphy.gif

ZywyPL

Banned
Um... This number is very low. But I guess they thought throwing numbers in the billions would make people go WAAAOW and no one will check.

Let's do some math. Let's say there are 50 million Xbox consoles. I'm not including PC btw, so let's just assume all Xbox consoles were used instead.
1,660,000,000 (hours) / 50,000,000 (Xbox consoles) = 33.2 hours per console.

"So far this year". So let's count 9 full months. Jan - Sep.

33.2 (hours per console) / 9 (months) = 3.68 hours per month.

Let's be generous and round that number to 4 hours. That's 4 hours per month. Xbox players are playing Xbox first party titles only 4 hours per month. Not per day. Not per week. Per month. Just about an hour a week. About 8 minutes a day! That's measly! :messenger_hushed:

That's because despite what console warriors on the internet believe, exclusives mean very little for the general crowd, I'm sure that if we got numbers for CoD, GTA5, Fortnite, Fifa, Minecraft etc., those 1.66B hours would look even worse than your calculations, much worse. And bare in mind some of those MS studios' games are MP-focused to begin with. That being said, I expect GP to push those number much further in the future.

That's because despite what console warriors on the internet believe, exclusives mean very little for the general crowd,
uh-huh, that`s why the sales charts on the consoles with a strong exclusive lineup regularly have those in the top lists despite being outnumbered 1000:1.
Exclusives sell hardware, Nintendo knows that, Sony knows that and Microsoft knows that. There is only a very small number of 3rd party multiplats relative to overall release numbers who can compete with/trump the exclusives, not the other way around.

Last edited:
you won’t see that at launch though. Won’t see it from ps5 either. Don’t you know how it works? Is this your first console launch maybe?
Usually it takes a couple of years to get the power of the consoles. Especially launch games look way worse.
It has always been like that.
Just compare the last of us II to a launch game of PS4.

Well the PS4 always had the power advantage even at launch. Same will happen with the XSX. Which is something that they have to show us even though devs might not use the full 12TFs at launch.

Last edited:

MilkyJoe

Even in threads that are about when Microsoft will show gameplay, we have the usual suspects sharing their heartfelt concerns about Microsoft and the lack of gameplay. Thank you all.

They're just upset because of how Godfall looks

Zathalus

Finally, then PS5 can release some BC info and its UI and everyone can finally shut up about the stupid conspiracy theories about why is company X not shown feature Y and no more "What are they hiding???".

ZywyPL

Banned
uh-huh, that`s why the sales charts on the consoles with a strong exclusive lineup regularly have those in the top lists despite being outnumbered 100:1 in overall release numbers.
Exclusives sell hardware, Nintendo knows that, Sony knows that and Microsoft knows that. There is only a very small number of 3rd party multiplats who can compete/trump the exclusives, not the other way around.

They are on top of the charts for a month or two, then vanish forever, but when you check the yearly or generational sales, the exclusives are nowhere to be found.

They are on top of the charts for a month or two, then vanish forever, but when you check the yearly or generational sales, the exclusives are nowhere to be found.
lol, nope. Check the lifetime best selling charts on PS4......half the top 20 are first party and the domination of first party is even stronger on Nintendo systems.
You claim stuff that is easily refuted by the available statistics. Post-factual era nonsense from your side here......

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
An updated Halo Infinite build?

No I'm not making a joke here. There was that rumor of an updated build circling around. Then I'm guessing games like Assassin's Creed Valhalla and FarCry 6 might be shown on the X.

They definitely need to show something with Ray Tracing in it.

Not sure Aaron Greenscreen has learned his lesson with regard to over hyping. Now he seems to be going for the "intentionally vague" approach so that they can show off a load of garbage and then say they never hyped it in the first place.

Would love for there to be something worth hyping. Maybe some Hellblade 2 footage? That would be awesome. Literally just 2 or 3 minutes of footage. Come on, do it.

Drewpee

Banned
Time to see what 12TFs is capable of. I was right that we would see some footage soon.

If it is anything like Halo Infinite I think people are going to be disappointed and I doubt there is anything Xbox can show that will stop the negative impressions. I think Sony fans will be ready to jump all over any little issue that doesnt scream graphical dominance.

My suspicion is they waited because the graphics are not going to be as great as people expect. I could be wrong but I think if they had a graphical powerhouse they would have shown it off already, especially after the negativity that came from Halo Infinite.

regawdless

Banned
Yeah finally? Curious why they've waited for so long. Maybe the games needed some more development time to be shown. Covid-19 screwed up a lot of development projects, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of games coming in really hot.

ZywyPL

Banned
lol, nope. Check the lifetime best selling charts on PS4......half the top 20 are first party and the domination of first party is even stronger on Nintendo systems.
You claim stuff that is easily refuted by the available statistics. Post-factual era nonsense from your side here......

Sorry but PS4 exclusives numbers are nowhere near the titles Minecraft, Fortnite, Apex Legends, GTA5 is 50MLN alone, Wither 3 around 30MLN, CoD sells in 30MLN each year, and that's just the base game as Warzone is being played by 75MLN people now, that's what the majority of population wants to play, doesn't matter on which platform, the price and friends is what determines on which console all those people will play all those games, not the exclusives, those are just a nice bonus, PS4 sold in 45MLN units within first 3 years without a single exclusive other than those mediocre launch lineup, its huge success is the very best example of how little exclusives matter nowadays for the average consumer, nowadays it's the hardware sales that drive the exclusive sales, not the other way around like in the past without internet, people today want first and foremost to play online with/against their friends, the numbers don't lie. And as far as Nintendo goes, it's like saying that there are no boats or planes on the roads roads, just cars, I explained this on the forum already not so long ago, few time even, that Nintendo has brilliantly created this hermetic market there there are basically nothing but their own games on it, so of course those game will sell a ton, people have a choice between either buying Nintendo games or not play anything at all. But like I said - with GP, cheap Series S, and xCloud on mobiles, Microsoft has a good chance in closing the gap with all those multiplatform 3rd party titles when it comes to reaching a broader audience.

Sorry but PS4 exclusives numbers are nowhere near the titles Minecraft, Fortnite, Apex Legends, GTA5 is 50MLN alone, Wither 3 around 30MLN, CoD sells in 30MLN each year, and that's just the base game as Warzone is being played by 75MLN people now, that's what the majority of population wants to play, doesn't matter on which platform, the price and friends is what determines on which console all those people will play all those games, not the exclusives, those are just a nice bonus, PS4 sold in 45MLN units within first 3 years without a single exclusive other than those mediocre launch lineup, its huge success is the very best example of how little exclusives matter nowadays for the average consumer, nowadays it's the hardware sales that drive the exclusive sales, not the other way around like in the past without internet, people today want first and foremost to play online with/against their friends, the numbers don't lie. And as far as Nintendo goes, it's like saying that there are no boats or planes on the roads roads, just cars, I explained this on the forum already not so long ago, few time even, that Nintendo has brilliantly created this hermetic market there there are basically nothing but their own games on it, so of course those game will sell a ton, people have a choice between either buying Nintendo games or not play anything at all. But like I said - with GP, cheap Series S, and xCloud on mobiles, Microsoft has a good chance in closing the gap with all those multiplatform 3rd party titles when it comes to reaching a broader audience.
a lot of text just to express that you simply don`t care about the factual reality in the form of per-platform sales statistics which refute your argument.
Your "nice bonus" occupies over 50% of the charts...but yeah, people toootally don`t buy consoles because they want to play the games they buy most on those...... :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

First party is very dominant in the sales stats of all platforms with relevant first party titles, that is a simple immediately verifyable fact.
Claiming "first party" was not relevant strangely enough always comes from the corner with the weakest lineup....whose parent company just doubled their first party production capabilities.........which adds a nice touch of irony here.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
a lot of text just to express that you simply don`t care about the factual reality in the form of per-platform sales statistics which refute your argument.
Your "nice bonus" occupies over 50% of the charts...but yeah, people toootally don`t buy consoles because they want to play the games they buy most on those...... :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

First party is very dominant in the sales stats of all platforms with relevant first party titles, that is a simple immediately verifyable fact.
Claiming "first party" was not relevant strangely enough always comes from the corner with the weakest lineup....whose parent company just doubled their first party production capabilities.........which adds a nice touch of irony here.

Keep up the fight soldier 👍

Concern

Probably Scorn which im not too fond of. I'd like to see more of The Medium. Its long overdue we see something next gen.

bronxct1

Yeah finally? Curious why they've waited for so long. Maybe the games needed some more development time to be shown. Covid-19 screwed up a lot of development projects, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of games coming in really hot.
I think it's just a thorough marketing plan. Their NDA's for specific features have been lifting basically weekly now, it makes sense to culminate with all of the YouTubers who have it in hand already dropping videos a week before launch. MS can then have their own trailer talking about the launch and they foreshadowed more units available at stores on launch day. A slow drip keeps them in headlines for a month instead of a week and stops features from getting overshadowed.

Top Bottom