• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Generation SHMUPS: Resogun, Ubusana, Jamestown,......

guit3457

I have recently bought a PS4 and Resogun is regaining my love for the shmup genre. I love the game: challenging, graphically amazing (in my opinion the first really next generation game) with a lot of replayability.

We all know the Xbox360 was great for the SHMUPS but I would like to know whats coming next.

We have Resogun, Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions, Velocity 2X and others.

UPCOMING GAMES:

PS4

- Ubusana: by the creator of Ikaruga and Radiant Silvergun.
- Jamestown Plus
- Super Stardust Ultra
- We Are Doomed
- Astebreed
- REVOLVER360
- Galak-Z: The Dimensional
- Aqua Kitty: Milk Mine Defender DX
- Project Root

Vita

- Söldner-X 2: Final Prototype and PS3
- Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions
- Aqua Kitty: Milk Mine Defender DX
- Project Root
- Son of Scoregasm

XBOX ONE

- We Are Doomed
- Raiden V
- Natsuki Chronicle
- Shooting Love Trilogy!
- Project Root

PC

- Drifting Lands
- Son of Scoregasm
- Roche Fusion
- Sky Force Anniversary
- Leave Home
- Super Robot Vulkaiser
- Pythetron
- Xenoraptor
- Assault Android Cactus

Dreamcast (lol)

- Ghost Blade : PC release likely.

I'm pretty sure I'm missing a lot of games.....

For current games you can go to this amazing post:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=387185

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
A lot of the newer shmups are complete butt.

Crimzon Clover: World Ignition is not butt. It is among the best shmups ever, I would argue.

Durante

I'd hope for a Crimzon Clover: World Ignition port if you are a fan of the genre. The best new shmup I've played in quite a while.

A lot of the newer shmups are complete butt.

Crimzon Clover: World Ignition is not butt. It is among the best shmups ever, I would argue.
Indeed.

hoggert

A City Sleeps by Harmonix on Steam too. Pretty good, amazing concept, but really short.
One of the only western shooters recently released that has clicked with me.

hoserx

I'd hope for a Crimzon Clover: World Ignition port if you are a fan of the genre. The best new shmup I've played in quite a while.

Indeed.

I discovered this game last night..... thinking about picking it up to test it out in portrait mode.....or as they call it, vertical resolutions.

Tain

Resogun is no Cave game (what is?) but it's alright.

I'm hoping Ubusana is good. M2 is now the most promising developer in the genre, followed by MOSS and then whatever's next from Clover-TAC (if we see it any time soon).

AzureEternal

Neo Member
Don't forget about Raiden V, Natsuki Chronicle, and Shooting Love Trilogy!

Edit: Whoops, missed the part about listing PS4 titles only. Ignore me. I'm a fool.

depths20XX

I haven't been excited about anything since Crimzon Clover came to Steam. It's the dark ages for shmups. A lot of the new ones feel really gimmicky too.

gngf123

I'd hope for a Crimzon Clover: World Ignition port if you are a fan of the genre. The best new shmup I've played in quite a while..

Yep. It is the best shooting game I've played in a long time.

Console players who want a good STG, seriously just pick it up on any PC you have, it shouldn't take much to run it.

system11

2015 is going to be one of the darkest years for shmups particularly on consoles since time began.

*) Too many new people making them now don't understand what was good in the old.
*) Death in 2014 of one of the final Japanese companies making arcade shmups.
*) Microsoft already fucking things up for the niche developers left by somehow talking them into releasing on a stillborn platform in their main sales region. Honestly this bit makes me want to club whoever got that agreement like a baby seal. This is not the same as last gen when the PS3 was hard to develop for, and the 360 seemed like it had a viable 2nd place future in Japan. The XB1 is dead there. It is a non-product.

So the only real hope is Japanese indie titles jumping from PC to PS4. I'm sure Raiden will find itself on PS4 too. At least Revolver is good, better than Resogun IMO.

Momentary

Banned
Crimzon Clover WORLD IGNITION is the best new SHMUP I've played in ages. It should be in every fans library. Nothing mentioned so far even sparks an interest for me after this game. Only thing that would get me hype is a spiritual successor to Radiant Silvergun/Ikaruga, another Cave shooter, or a sequel to CCWI from Yotsubane.

Momentary

Banned
yep its actually on sale right now too

Here's a release of 2014 STGs on Steam. Some are currently on sale.

Crimzon Clover is currently on sale for $3.39.

Danmaku Unlimited 2 is currently on sale for $1.99

Astebreed is currently onb sale for $4.49

Revolver 360 RE:ACTOR is currently on sale for $4.99

Ikaruga maintains its $9.99 price tag.

Hangeki is currently on sale for $8.49

RefleX is currently on sale for $3.99. There's also ALLTYNEX Second and Kamui that make up the other part of this trilogy, but don't expect them to get a discount since they were just released.

Savant Ascent was released in December of last year, but it was recently updated in October with a free expansion. It's currently on sale at $0.99

5taquitos

Thanks for giving Söldner-X 2: Final Prototype some love in the OP, I played the shit out of that game on PS3 and will play the shit out of it all over again when it comes out on Vita. I really hope they make a third after they're done with their Rainbow Moon obsession.

Marcel

WBt9BCL.jpg

Loud, brassy, incomprehensible, and nail-bitingly hard. This type of shmup is dying, unfortunately. RIP.

Momentary

Banned
I'm sure they would be very pleased if they sold 30,000 of a game at $15 when they sell the same amount at $70 for the Japanese market.

yep. crimzon clover rocks though.

$450,000 is better than $0 (not counting that %30 cut). And it's not like it costs a horrendous amount of money to get the game on a Digital Distro platform. I'm sure Yotsubane isn't complaining about that Steam money. I'm sure if one man can flip the bill a whole company shouldn't be hurting too bad to do it.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I'll have to check these out, but I'm not a huge fan of bullet hell shooters. I prefer the old school stuff. Probably why I'm looking forward to Raiden most.

Lernaean

Banned
Very interested in Hiroshi Iuchi's new project, keeping an eye on the rest.
Oh, and Resogun looks great but it's more of a tech demo than an STG, sorry.
And yeah, i hate the term 'Shmup'.

Momentary

Banned
Very interested in Hiroshi Iuchi's new project, keeping an eye on the rest.
Oh, and Resogun looks great but it's more of a tech demo than an STG, sorry.
And yeah, i hate the term 'Shmup'.

You know what.... I'm going to start using STG. Sounds more menacing.

Az987

all good things
I'm looking forward to Jamestown but I really need a stick to enjoy shmups and I don't think I'll be buying one for 1 game since I don't play fighting games.

andymcc

Banned
$450,000 is better than $0 (not counting that %30 cut). And it's not like it costs a horrendous amount of money to get the game on a Digital Distro platform. I'm sure Yotsubane isn't complaining about that Steam money. I'm sure if one man can flip the bill a whole company shouldn't be hurting too bad to do it.

I'm making a comparison here. It's understandable why a company that sells niche games at a premium price has difficulty seeing the value in releasing a game on a platform that would cause them to price the game at a cheaper value than what they already set their iOS titles.

I really like Tyrian/Tyrian 2000. Are there any other shmups with RPG elements? Aside from Knights in the Nightmare which is awesome but not really a shmup in the traditional sense.

Momentary

Banned
I'm making a comparison here. It's understandable why a company that sells niche games at a premium price has difficulty seeing the value in releasing a game on a platform that would cause them to price the game at a cheaper value than what they already set their iOS titles.

It was aimed at the companies and not you. I know how they think too. But the thing is they don't realize these games just keep on selling. Theres not a fight to get that last physical copy or to buy it second hand. Crimzon Clover is selling a lot during this sale just from word of mouth. I bought the game at full price when it was released, but there are those who would NEVER think about paying $70 for a game like this even if it was awesome. To have it hit at certain price points that people are willing to pay will get them revenue that they would have never gotten. Now those people who experience the game are going to recommend it to others. Later down the road.

After experiencing CCWI at $10. I would GLADLY pay $40 for another Yotsubane game if he were to release another on Steam.

Bought Crimzon Clover just now because of this thread. Goddamnit GAF

You're welcome.

Momentary

Banned
I really like Tyrian/Tyrian 2000. Are there any other shmups with RPG elements? Aside from Knights in the Nightmare which is awesome but not really a shmup in the traditional sense.

Drifting Lands is an RPG STG that's on the horizon. It will be a while before it is released, but there is a basic demo for it on Steam right now. The aesthetics look pleasing and the combat system is uses cooldowns for special weapons. It's pretty neat. I'm super interested in it.

gngf123

I actually did not know about Astebreed.

It looks good, anyone got it and can confirm if it's worth it?

It's good fun, and a lot better than their previous game (Ether Vapor), but I don't rate it as highly as most people on here.

Easily worth trying though.

Top Bottom