• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-generation Xbox may be called Xbox Gold, according to recent domain activity

ekim

XBox Gold is the high end console.
XBox Silver is the new rumored and rebranded XBox360

Games come in either colored package.

FordGTGuy

Banned
Just call it "The Xbox" and be done with it.

That's a terrible idea and Apple has shown this for themselves recently.

Right now if you go into a Best Buy you are greeted with three iPads.

iPad
iPad 2
iPad Mini

I was talking to a gentleman who was looking at them(I don't work at BestBuy) he was clearly not tech savvy and was looking to buy a tablet for his wife. His first reaction was to buy the newest and best iPad so he clearly went with the iPad 2... but wait a minute that isn't the best iPad it's two generations old in fact.

I had to spend 4-5 minutes showing him and explaining to him that in fact the "iPad" was the superior and newer model.

Bottom line we've already had a Xbox and calling the next Xbox just Xbox would only confuse the normal public.

Yes I understand that Microsoft won't be selling the original Xbox and the new one side by side but it is still confusing.

For this reason I don't think Playstation is ever going to get rid of the numerical generation naming.

Hindle

Banned
Gold.

Always believe in your soul
You've got the power to know
You're indestructible
Always believe in, because you are

Gold

Right now if you go into a Best Buy you are greeted to three iPads.

iPad
iPad 2
iPad Mini

I was talking to a gentleman who was looking at them(I don't work at BestBuy) he was clearly not tech savvy and was looking to buy a tablet for his wife. His first reaction was to buy the newest and best iPad so he clearly went with the iPad 2... but wait a minute that isn't the best iPad it's two generations old in fact.

I had to spend 4-5 minutes showing him and explaining to him that in fact the "iPad" was the superior and newer model.

Bottom line we've already had a Xbox and calling the next Xbox just Xbox would only confuse the normal public.

I don't think the public would confuse the Xbox with the Xbox 360 on store shelves, and even if so I think a moniker like "The New Xbox" somewhere on the products would prevent such mistakes. A brand image that differs from the 360 may help too, unlike the homogeneous branding throughout the iPad iterations.

I do agree that it wouldn't be the easiest name.

iPad
iPad 2
iPad Mini

Yes I understand that Microsoft won't be selling the original Xbox and the new one side by side but it is still confusing.

For this reason I don't think Playstation is ever going to get rid of the numerical generation naming.

But there isn't a new Xbox every year (I hope).

I do like numbering though personally.

Did this happen before they officially announced the PS4?

Yes. us.playstation.com/ps4 was up for months before the PS4 announcement.

Xbox 720 and Infinity have always been fan-made names if I remember correctly.

So the fact that MS doesn't own the domain names essentially confirms we won't be seeing those names in the future. So far it's either "The New Xbox," or "The Next Xbox" or "Xbox Next," or "Xbox Gold."

ekim

Fear my amazing GIMP skills...
watch-dogs-box-art-xb7xrxc.png

Could work...

Painting the thing Gold isn't going to get it 8 GB GDDR5. You know I tried to update my payment method for my Live sub today, because my CC got lost and I stopped it, it refused to add a payment option because it had an order against the current one and the Add new card feature just directed to a "Page Not Found". These people can keep their little subscription service and their stupid little Kinektbox720 Gold plated dildo.

Returners

I don't think so.

Though I can see MS doing...

All Silver members are now GOLD members. And introducing... the PLATINUM level (and with more paywall stuff)

Mogwai

Xbox Gold coming along with the new Xbox Live Platinum subscription where you have to pay twice the amount per month now, perhaps.

netBuff

iPad
iPad 2
iPad Mini

Calling the iPad 3 the "new iPad" was likely a ruse to not call all that much attention to the fact that Apple had a new model planned (the iPad 4, which is the current version) for just half a year later. It seems like a name specifically designed to create customer confusion.

Oh fuck...
http://startfy14.com/ (seems to be a kickoff for MS employees)

take a look at the agenda:
https://ustproduction.blob.core.win...5/START_FY14_Event_Agenda_and_Information.pdf
unbenannt5prq5.png

It's definitely a MS product...

edit: invite only means the are still keeping it under the wraps. So the announcement should be AFTER this event. (which is from march 4th to 7th)

Invite only means I assume it's an internal Microsoft showcase.

We need to get Sam Fisher into the Q Nightclub Sheraton Seattle Hotel at 9am March 7th. Edit: Nvm the nightclub is the after party.

rrs

I think this might be the name of a subscription service of some sort if ekim's post has real info. Maybe the new Xbox Live Gold? And that diamond thing might be for a mix of Gold with Xbox Music and a not yet announced Netflix rival

Top Bottom