• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next in line to be cancelled.... JIMMY KIMMEL.... Come on down!!....... Or is he?

Falcs

Banned
Jimmy Kimmel Apologizes for ‘Embarrassing’ Blackface Impressions

Late-night host Jimmy Kimmel apologized Tuesday for a series of impressions he did in the past of Black celebrities, such as former NBA player Karl Malone, but said he believes he has “evolved and matured over the last twenty-plus years” and intended to continue to speak out on causes he believed were worthy of discussion on his ABC show.

“I have long been reluctant to address this, as I knew doing so would be celebrated as a victory by those who equate apologies with weakness and cheer for leaders who use prejudice to divide us. That delay was a mistake,” Kimmel said in a prepared statement. “There is nothing more important to me than your respect, and I apologize to those who were genuinely hurt or offended by the makeup I wore or the words I spoke.”

Kimmel has come under scrutiny in recent days after a series of appearances he made in the past have re-surfaced on social media. An announcement that he had decided to take the summer off from hosting “Jimmy Kimmel Live” exacerbated speculation. But the vacation “has been planned for more than a year and includes the next two summers off as well,” Kimmel said. “I will be back to work in September.“

Some of Kimmel’s impressions were done during his stint as an on-air personality for Los Angeles’ KROQ and others while he worked as the co-host of “The Man Show,” a Comedy Central program that ran for about six seasons between 1999 and 2004. As part of the program, Kimmel and his co-host Adam Carolla, would indulge in hidden-camera pranks and feature women who would dress in skimpy outfits and jump on trampolines. The program aimed to satirize male behavior, but often seemed to celebrate it.

“On KROQ radio in the mid-90s, I did a recurring impression of the NBA player Karl Malone. In the late 90s, I continued impersonating Malone on TV. We hired makeup artists to make me look as much like Karl Malone as possible. I never considered that this might be seen as anything other than an imitation of a fellow human being, one that had no more to do with Karl’s skin color than it did his bulging muscles and bald head,” Kimmel said. “I’ve done dozens of impressions of famous people, including Snoop Dogg, Oprah, Eminem, Dick Vitale, Rosie, and many others. In each case, I thought of them as impersonations of celebrities and nothing more. Looking back, many of these sketches are embarrassing, and it is frustrating that these thoughtless moments have become a weapon used by some to diminish my criticisms of social and other injustices. “

Kimmel said he believed “that I have evolved and matured over the last twenty-plus years, and I hope that is evident to anyone who watches my show.” He added: “I know that this will not be the last I hear of this and that it will be used again to try to quiet me. I love this country too much to allow that. I won’t be bullied into silence by those who feign outrage to advance their oppressive and genuinely racist agendas.

---------------------------------------

I'm not sure I've ever read such utter bullshit in my entire life. This virtue signalling cunt is an avid pusher of cancel culture and now it's come back to bite him in the ass, and he says "I won’t be bullied into silence by those who feign outrage to advance their oppressive and genuinely racist agendas.” BAHAHAHAHHAHAHHA!! Give me a fucking break!

I don't understand why the mainstream media has such a boner for this douche bag, but they are hardly reporting on this.

I hate cancel culture. I think it's fucking stupid. And while I hate this cunt and don't find him funny at all, I don't think what he did in the past should be held against him.
HOWEVER.. if we are going to play by the same SJW rules that this cunt himself plays then his show NEEDS to be fucking cancelled.

Remember Kevin Hart being cancelled for some stupid tweet he made 10 years ago? Kimmel is set to host the 2020 Emmy awards. Why should this cunt get a free pass when others get cancelled for much less?

Came across this when checking if the Twitter mob was calling for him to be cancelled.

Nymphae

Banned
I think you have to teach people to not find someone attempting to be their exact physical opposite funny, because every other example I can think of is humorous. An animal dressed like a human doing human shit, funny. Baby dressed like a CEO taking care of business, funny. Fat guy in a little coat? Funny. Dave Chappelle doing whiteface? Fucking hilarious. But we can't have any nuanced discussion about white people doing this sort of thing, because minstrel shows.

It's so weird that we were able to move past this once, Jimmy did these in the 90's and nobody gave a shit, like read his explanation of his thought process on those jokes - I felt very similarly hearing the joke to the way he describes thinking about it - it was just fucking funny and no one was thinking about race

Last edited:
didnt he have a man show no no moment?

i mean he wasnt even in character for that i bet this isnt that

but yeah with the right clips kimmel can go in the shitter

and JOE ROGAN ESPECIALLY, actually im surprised he hasnt been canned up the ass for his planet of thee apes comment back in the day

teezzy

Banned
Jimmy Kimmel is ostensibly the best late night host we have apart from Conan right now.

Dude was always entertaining on Stern, Ben Stein, and Man Show. At least he seems earnest in his political hot takes, and not as condescending and forced as Colbert has allowed himself to become. I personally lean left, so I don't have it in me to disagree with much of what he says, but Jimmy is a chill dude. He's definitely got those "everybody's friend" vibes. He's happy, and I think he genuinely feels bad about some of the more disparaging jokes he's made in the past (just like his ex, Sarah Silverman - who I'm also a fan of).

It's hard to imagine Kimmel being much of a diva behind the scenes like Ellen or Steve Harvey have been reported to be. Even Stern and Letterman are noted as being complete dickheads off-camera. Kimmel seems appreciative of his newfound A-list status. So, hats off to Jimmy for his ability to make 'woke' speeches towards hot button issues, and not come off like an utter twat. His whole political monologue schtick, in addition to his weight loss, have certainly helped his ratings. I still recall watching the pilot for Jimmy Kimmel Live!; dude was an underdog. Good for him for addressing the Karl Malone bits before he could get #cancelled. Jimmy's got that DIsney money now, I don't blame him for not wanting to risk that, especially right after Fallon was knocked for his Chris Rock impression. People forget that all of these skits were approved by executives and writers rooms alike. It was a different era.

No hate for Jimmy from me. :)

Just watched one of the skits, and then watched an interview with the actual Karl Malone....can't say Kimmel's skit wasn't at least somewhat on-point :LOL: . Not any more offensive than RDJ's role in Tropic Thunder (which since that one was actually a clever criticism on the type of stuff Hollywood did decades earlier casting white people for black, Native American, Asian etc. roles) imho.

Also for '90s sketch comedy that's pretty tame stuff; MAD TV had some insane stuff that just wouldn't go over whatsoever anymore. But when actual professionals tell these kind of jokes, they go over well enough given the audience doesn't have a stick up their collective assess.

I think you have to teach people to not find someone attempting to be their exact physical opposite funny, because every other example I can think of is humorous. An animal dressed like a human doing human shit, funny. Baby dressed like a CEO taking care of business, funny. Fat guy in a little coat? Funny. Dave Chappelle doing whiteface? Fucking hilarious. But we can't have any nuanced discussion about white people doing this sort of thing, because minstrel shows.

It's so weird that we were able to move past this once, Jimmy did these in the 90's and nobody gave a shit, like read his explanation of his thought process on those jokes - I felt very similarly hearing the joke to the way he describes thinking about it - it was just fucking funny and no one was thinking about race

Eh...dunno about all of that. I'm sure there was probably a bit of controversy at the time. The difference is back then there was no social media, so unless gatekee--uhm, corporate types were close enough to the drama to exploi--uhm, share it with folks through the media, it just stayed in its own little bubbles.

Unfortunately, minstrel shows ARE a hang-up when it comes to white people doing these kind of things, even if any modern context is nothing at all like the actual minstrel shows. It's crazy to consider that a ton of modern pop-culture media archetypes were established with the minstrel shows from the late 1800s and such, but that's kind of just what it is. It's just baggage that'll always be around in some aspect since it's a part of the country's history (though it's hardly the only thing of it's history and it having been a thing shouldn't invite the "America was never great" tard talk some people spew these days).

Last edited:

GymWolf

I always confuse jimmy kimmel with jimmy fallon...who is the one with the talk show and fake as fuck laugh??

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
all these fake fuckers getting outed

they like to act like they are for justice and the little people these are all the Asshole bullies who used to pick on you in school

sadly they have their club which gives them a free pass. Liberals cannot be racist, it’s a fact.

Jimmies can do blackface and keep their giant mainstream tv talk show, Roseanne gets cancelled

Last edited:

LoV

Banned
It's like when Biden said "believe all women, but I did not touch Tara Reade. She is lying."

Kimmel basically said it's not a weakness to apologize trying to save face for being a hypocrite.

Ememee

I’m more wary of the wolf trying to come across as a sheep than the wolf in plain sight. But hey, that’s just me. Let’s see how his career goes.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Kimmel is Chuck Schumer's comedian mouthpiece and has all his political jokes written by Schumer's office. So he gets a pass.

Top Bottom