• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Street Fighter V DLC character leaked: Ed (the hoodie kid from the campaign)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RM8

yeah and none of them got used for that did they

bison clearly has two requirements you have to meet:

- purple

- swole

otherwise you wind up in the trash bin
That's still an excuse to make everyone a generic wall of muscles. It's visually boring! He wouldn't be Uniform Abel if only he had a different frame.

That being said - I like this design! I just wish he didn't have literally Ryu's body.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
It really feels bad looking at how lacking in unique flair Capcom's designs have been lately.

All the MVCI designs so far are solidly derivative of looks across other Media. They don't have the inspiration of something like Spidey in the older games; where the basics were all there, but the unique way of manipulating body types, curvature, and a strong unifying style still made the designs feel uniquely fresh.

SFV Is oddly stagnating with this season pass. We could have Hugo style Giants, little scrawny speedsters (Either Hunched over, Skinny but tall, or literally short in height), older women (What could Capcom do with someone like Mitsuko from Bloody Roar), gangly, nerdy dorks, maniacal, evil characters who spent no time in the sunlight for the last decade, or even characters with freaky revealed mechanical augmentation... and instead we're getting characters that fit the most straightforward archetypes from a "How to Draw Super Heroes" book.

Why are ANY "new to the series" characters stepping into the design space of people already in this game?

Lulubop

It really feels bad looking at how lacking in unique flair Capcom's designs have been lately.

All the MVCI designs so far are solidly derivative of looks across other Media. They don't have the inspiration of something like Spidey in the older games; where the basics were all there, but the unique way of manipulating body types, curvature, and a strong unifying style still made the designs feel uniquely fresh.

SFV Is oddly stagnating with this season pass. We could have Hugo style Giants, little scrawny speedsters (Either Hunched over, Skinny but tall, or literally short in height), older women (What could Capcom do with someone like Mitsuko from Bloody Roar), gangly, nerdy dorks, maniacal, evil characters who spent no time in the sunlight for the last decade, or even characters with freaky revealed mechanical augmentation... and instead we're getting characters that fit the most straightforward archetypes from a "How to Draw Super Heroes" book.

Why are ANY "new to the series" characters stepping into the design space of people already in this game?

The next char is gonna be a big guy and we haven't seen the rest. I think most of the new characters in sfv are quite good, much better than 4.

kirblar

3 of the S2 characters were pre existing designs (Akuma, Kolin, likely Garuda)

Eds the only brand new one so far. The other two silhouettes are giant male and small female, and the female one is likely brand new.

RM8

My opinion:

- Laura: Shit tier fappy one-note character
- FANG: Pretty unique design, I like him
- Necalli: Kind of boring Aztec Blanka
- Rashid: I like Rashidoooo, I wish I liked playing as him, lol
- Kolin: I like ice powers, cool femme fatale design, fun moveset, what's not to love?
- Ed: Uniform Abel... again, I like him (he has a really nice face! a rarity in this game), but he's kind of boring

- Ed: Uniform Abel... again, I like him (he has a really nice face! a rarity in this game), but he's kind of boring
I'd suggest waiting to see him in action before coming to any conclusion on this character.

I really was not expecting Kolin's moveset to feel so fresh but it did, so I have high hopes for Ed too.

Arkeband

Banned
I always wanted to say "doesn't the silhouette look like he's wearing an embarassing shaped hat" but I didn't want it to be true.

He looks like My Chemical Romance x Knockoff Jojo

I am not digging this, so far Season 2 has been consistently underwhelming for me and I really liked the idea of "new" characters.

For what it's worth I liked the base newcomers in SFV a lot.

Lulubop

I am not digging this, so far Season 2 has been consistently underwhelming for me and I really liked the idea of "new" characters.

What if he has an amazing moveset that really resonates with you

Here we go, found an image of him -

That's Ed? What the hell happened? I was totally expecting the white hoodie look, which I would have preferred.

I mean, that design's not terrible, but simple designs can work and be effective. I await his gameplay reveal.

What if he has an amazing moveset that really resonates with you
Hey it's possible

Super Street Fighter 4 was the first time I saw Makoto and I thought "boy, what a plain and unexciting character", flash forward to now and she's in my fave five for SF for that no nonsense style.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
The next char is gonna be a big guy and we haven't seen the rest. I think most of the new characters in sfv are quite good, much better than 4.

It just feels weird that the Season is front-loaded with so many "safe" designs. I really hope they knock it out of the park with the rest. SFIV's various newcomers felt much fresher for me. OR at least more like the work of Capcom's years of development prowess at work.

Eds the only brand new one so far. The other two silhouettes are giant male and small female, and the female one is likely brand new.

I'll be so bummed of that 1 more new female turns out to be another blonde 20s-something, lol. Ed being the first one they really get to cut loose and make something new with.. and we get THAT visual design?

Ahh well, really hoping his gameplay is awesome. Just a bit longer to wait!

I really hope it's Garuda now, even "Masked, Armored man who fights with the power of Polygons!" is much more refreshing then the rest of the designs we've got this season, so far. And SFEX always deserves a bit of love.

As hard as it is to get enough fight money for the content in this game, one expects everything to be a complete "WOW!", y'know?

Rashid felt like on of the most properly SF-style designs they've made in years. I wish these others hit that mix of unique yet familiar mix of design. He's a little bit a stereotypical caricature, a bit of a riff on pop culture designs, a dash of his own unique-ness, and a lot of Capcom's unique touch to bring all of that together.

kirblar

I'll be so bummed of that 1 more new female turns out to be another blonde 20s-something, lol. Ed being the first one they really get to cut loose and make something new with.. and we get THAT visual design?

Ahh well, really hoping his gameplay is awesome. Just a bit longer to wait!

I really hope it's Garuda now, even "Masked, Armored man who fights with the power of Polygons!" is much more refreshing then the rest of the designs we've got this season, so far. And SFEX always deserves a bit of love.
I think it was Ryce that caught that her combo silhouette matches a Pencak Silat practitioner, so she's very likely not white or blonde.

Imm0rt4l

I agree. Although I don't play Rashid I love his unique design. Laura, FANG and Kolin are great too imo.

OkayJan.gif

CerV9GZWEAApe1y.jpg

Rashid is the single greatest new fighting character since... Hilde. Just so much fun.

I'm not a huge fan of the rest, but then again I wasn't a huge fan of SF4's either. Abel was cool but ultimately not my thing.

I'm giving Ed a go anyway. He kind of has a male doll vibe, and for all of the military style of Shadaloo we still get a collection of freaks. An actual soldier could be cool. Maybe he's fighting to set Balrog up as the new leader... or maybe he's going for that himself and then Bison steps in to resurrect.

yurinka

Ed, like Azam and Satsuki already appeared in the SFV story mode, so they even already have their 3D assets and even voice actor:

Ed (SFV):
https://youtu.be/0Fgg280DTp0?t=7m03s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Fgg280DTp0?t=20m58s

Ed (let's remember -spoiler- Balrog's ending in SFIV):
https://youtu.be/7ApAYVqj3eM?t=1m31s

Satsuki:
https://youtu.be/EC8WdMh5yh8?t=4m34s

Same can be said for Sean, Abel, Decapre or Byron Taylor. I bet they will be included in the future as playable characters. Decapre and the dolls were even enemies there, you fought them so even have (mostly rehashed from Cammy) in-game animations.

NEO0MJ

That's still an excuse to make everyone a generic wall of muscles. It's visually boring! He wouldn't be Uniform Abel if only he had a different frame.

That being said - I like this design! I just wish he didn't have literally Ryu's body.

Ryu body is amazing, I don't see the issue. It's better than being thin for me.

yurinka

Considering the silhouette doesn't match with Ed (it's huge, musculated, with some kind of coat and boxing gloves), and the teaser image with Balrog flying as being caught by Psycho Power-fueled telekinesis (power that we know from the SFV story Ed has), how about if Ed uses Balrog as a flying weapon as "fighting style"? Maybe in the silhouette appear Ed + Balrog one behind the other.

If not, the only explanation I can give to his change of silhouette can be that Bison enters in Ed's body or prepares him as future body, so he morphs into a M.Bison-like body shape.

character designs/models in sfv are consistently trash.
100% wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom