• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anth0ny

I'd main Tingle.

But only if it's Majora's Mask Tingle:

568px-Tingle_%28Majora%27s_Mask%29.png

GamerSoul

You could probably put Ghirahim in that list of flamboyant characters too. lol But I get your point. I think captain rainbow is a long shot though. So Ghirahim maybe be the best shot for a more a character like that.

Tingle's got a lot going for him with his balloons and bombs. You know what...? You could probably translate Snake's moveset to Tingle.

Maybe, just 10x more comedic. Nah I'd rather Impa or Ghirahim.

Well, Tingle has been kind of shafted lately though, not appearing in any of the recent Zeldas or, really, anything at all after his spin off game. If he didn't make it to Brawl, I'm not sure he has big chances now.

He has his own games nowadays. Sure his first game was out by the time Brawl came out, but he's had more since then.

So for game modes where the participants each have their own screen (3DS, primarily, but maybe Wii U online, too), Smash should have Fuzzy. Touch Fuzzy, get dizzy. Would only affect the poor sap who touched Fuzzy.

TreIII

Tingle or Captain Rainbow.

We just need somebody more flamboyant than Captain Falcon.

Birdo/Catherine or Roy Koopa could easily fit that quota, too, for the Mario camp. One's perhaps one of the original "tranny surprises", the other's as butch as they come! :lol

On that note, it would make me so happy if Roy, or any one of the Koopalings for that matter, could get into Smash. As long as SMB3 nostalgia is still in, they might as well play that up. Plus, if Roy (FE) got in, as well, it could make for a nice bit of hilarity!

MisterHero

Captain Falcon is absolutely not flamboyant at all.
Yes he is. His moves are embellished with the elements (mostly fire), he wears a kick-ass scarf and has a sentai helmet. If they were trying any harder, he'd be like Viewtiful Joe.

and Sega gave him nipple buttons for some reason

Snakey

I have this theory that Dr. Mario was going to get his own world icon in Brawl (a megavitamin) had he made the final cut. There's nothing to back that up, but as you mentioned, Dr. Mario is sort of treated as its own series in Brawl with regards to music and stickers.

Also, the most likely version of the original character select screen would have had him separated from the main Mario cast:

b7SfX.jpg

I wrote the theory that Dr. Mario was going to come back under his own series all the way back in 2008.

I am glad someone else picked up on it.

However, I am definitely disagreeing with your roster prediction for Smash 4. I think Lucario and Ike have more to fear from Zoroark and Krom, than Mewtwo and Roy do (I still think Sakurai is going to keep things simply and simply bring everyone from Brawl, bring back Mewtwo and Roy, and represent Black/White and FE13 through other means). I think writing off a DK newcomer and Little Mac is also foolish. I think if Sakurai is not planning a DK newcomer from the onsent of Smash 4's development, one will definitely be added later on (most likely Dixie Kong since there were at least probably plans left over for her during Brawl's development) due to the strong demand for one worldwide.

cednym

Banned
The big problem I see with a DK newcomer is that the only important Donkey Kong game from the last seven years (arguably much longer) doesn't include Dixie or K. Rool. I don't think it speaks well for them that their last appearance was four years ago in a forgettable baseball game. Maybe if Sakurai goes the DLC route with SSB4 and there's a new game with Dixie or K. Rool in the next few years we'll see one of them.

Regarding Dixie being cut from Brawl, yes, that's true, but there's more to it than that -- she was planned specifically as a tag team character. She's not like Mewtwo, Roy, Toon Zelda, or the other characters tacked on at the end of the roster; with Dixie, it was "tag team or bust." In the Famitsu article I linked to a number of pages back, Sakurai actually says that after the Diddy and Dixie tag team technical problems surfaced, he didn't think it would be a good idea to include them both as individual characters. As a pair there's a ton of novelty due to the tag mechanic being such a unique one.

Snakey

Sakurai actually says that after the Diddy and Dixie tag team technical problems surfaced, he didn't think it would be a good idea to include them both as individual characters. As a pair there's a ton of novelty due to the tag mechanic being such a unique one.

I never saw a mention by Sakurai of it not being a good idea to include both of them as individual characters.

Also, Dixie Kong's Brawl trophy profile makes mention of her using her over-sized ponytail to attack. I think its pretty well known that her oversized ponytail would be what distinguishes her from other fighters on the roster.

cednym

Banned
I never saw a mention by Sakurai of it not being a good idea to include both of them as individual characters.

Also, Dixie Kong's Brawl trophy profile makes mention of her using her over-sized ponytail to attack. I think its pretty well known that her oversized ponytail would be what distinguishes her from other fighters on the roster.

You're right about the quote -- it's been a while since I've last seen it. But Sakurai nonetheless emphasizes Diddy Kong's popularity in it:

Masahiro Sakurai said:
Actually, Diddy Kong was going to get paired with Dixie Kong. We were going to create a mechanic wherein those two would change instantly by tagging. Due to various circumstances, we had to cut this prematurely. Diddy Kong certainly deserved to stand alone as a fighter, so I reworked him into his own character; many people thought it was odd that a character as notable as Diddy Kong had not already appeared in the series. On his own, we were able to give him some very interesting movements.

I don't think it's a lack of move set potential that hurts Dixie's chances but rather a complete absence of relevance in the current Donkey Kong canon. I liken her to the Pokémon Trainer: there's no way in hell Ivysaur would have been a playable character on its own, but the unique concept of the Pokémon Trainer made Ivysaur a reality. Dixie and Diddy would have brought an interesting mechanic to the table pulled from Donkey Kong Country 2 (which was rereleased for the GBA with additional content right around Brawl's planning period), but that doesn't necessarily mean that Sakurai ever thought of including her by herself. Dixie isn't the most unlikely character in the world, but I do think you're overstating the likelihood of her inclusion.

Snakey

. Dixie isn't the most unlikely character in the world, but I do think you're overstating the likelihood of her inclusion.

I am not overstating anything. You misrepresented what Sakurai was saying. I think Dixie Kong chances are better than most other possible newcomers. If anything Dixie Kong's chances are underrated by most. K. Rool on the other hand, is seen by a shoe-in by most of the Western Smash Bros. fanbase.

Obscure thought of the day: since Nintendo published the (rather excellent) Solatorobo: Red the Hunter in Europe, does that give Red a chance at being in Smash Bros? The Kirby franchise is in a similar position (only published by Nintendo and developed at HAL) and yet it has 3 reps. I'd love it if the Smash team would start giving some love to some lesser-known properties and characters. It would open up a whole new realm of possibilities.

cednym

Banned
Obscure thought of the day: since Nintendo published the (rather excellent) Solatorobo: Red the Hunter in Europe, does that give Red a chance at being in Smash Bros? The Kirby franchise is in a similar position (only published by Nintendo and developed at HAL) and yet it has 3 reps. I'd love it if the Smash team would start giving some love to some lesser-known properties and characters. It would open up a whole new realm of possibilities.

HAL is a Nintendo subsidiary (Nintendo saved them from collapse in the early '90s); Kirby is a 100% Nintendo property. Solatorobo, on the other hand, has nothing to do with Nintendo; it was developed by CyberConnect2 and published by Namco Bandai in Japan. Nintendo published the game in Europe, but that's the extent of the relationship.

So, yeah, they aren't in "similar positions." Not nearly.

HAL is a Nintendo subsidiary (Nintendo saved them from collapse in the early '90s); Kirby is a 100% Nintendo property. Solatorobo, on the other hand, has nothing to do with Nintendo; it was developed by CyberConnect2 and published by Namco Bandai in Japan.

So, yeah, they aren't in "similar positions." Not nearly.

Ah, okay. Thanks for clearing that up.

I still have hope for Red as a guest character, though. A fleeting, childlike hope that I'm sure will be crushed minutes after I post this.

:(

Snakey

I am thinking about whether DLC characters will happen, and I am thinking not unless the DLC characters are already on the disc (Capcom has said the reason they put DLC on disk is due to online difficulties). If there are DLC characters, I imagine them being characters from previous Smash Bros. games (characters that were cut from Melee and Brawl).

I think the most likely DLC for Smash 4 to have will be stuff like trophies and stickers.

Tyeforce

Ah, okay. Thanks for clearing that up.

I still have hope for Red as a guest character, though. A fleeting, childlike hope that I'm sure will be crushed minutes after I post this.

:(
Don't worry, I would love to see Red in Smash Bros., too. Among a few other characters that have no chance at all. Quote from Cave Story would be awesome...

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Regarding Dixie:
Just because she didn't make it into Brawl doesn't hinder her chances of being introduced in Smash U. Perhaps Sakurai felt that Diddy was enough on his own and since he is such an important character in the DK universe, he would completely overshadow Dixie's introduction.

Oh and ignoring all the DK spinoffs just to help your argument isn't the way to go about things. Dixie still has a big presence during the GCN and GBA games when there wasn't a DKC in sight.

Regarding DLC:
Well I'm sure Nintendo is aware of the backlash that has occurred regarding DLC already on the disc. With MK7 they are forcing everyone to upgrade before they can go online again so it could be possible to make sure everyone has the data before they can continue offline.

I'm sure a new character would be consider content that requires effort so Nintendo is likely to charge for that. Music, stickers and trophies would probably be free.

Even if they can be rationalized with some thought, I think even a character from Advance Wars or even Custom Robo would still warrent some real surprise over the more certain picks like Palutena or Ridley, especially since Sakurai feels like he had a finite list to choose from.

I honestly still don't feel Palutena is that certain myself. Seems to me like if they were gonna put another Kid Icarus character in it would be Medusa to give Pit an adversary like they did with Bowser, Wolf and Ganondorf.

By the way, for those who don't know who Shulk is:

Xenoblade-Chronicles-review-art-guide-awesome.jpg

He'd be awesome as a character in this game, though I don't know how Sakurai would handle his extremely long range with the Monado (the red sword sitting beside him) when drawn; for those unaware the center of the "blade" of the sword opens up and a huge blue laser blade comes out of the center.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
He'd be awesome as a character in this game, though I don't know how Sakurai would handle his extremely long range with the Monado (the red sword sitting beside him) when drawn; for those unaware the center of the "blade" of the sword opens up and a huge blue laser blade comes out of the center.

Easy, make it a Final Smash.

Guess my last post got too hot for convo, sorry ... gonna go back to avoiding long rants now.

Anyway, I'm sure there will be DLC characters and other things (as I said before, Sakurai wasn't against the idle back with brawl ... the Wii simply couldn't do it. Now both the 3DS and WiiU can do it soooo yeah). I don't think it will be "on-disc" like the the clusterfuck Capcoms doing though.

Personally I can see it being mainly for 3rd party characters. That way they can make sure to get in 1st party characters they want in instead of having what allegedly happened with Sonic happen again. Could also be for cult characters or new IPs to spur sells and interest months/years after release.

Non-character wise? It could be any thing ... stages, model changes, items, patches and so on :p

Don't worry, I would love to see Red in Smash Bros., too. Among a few other characters that have no chance at all. Quote from Cave Story would be awesome...

Yes, Quote would be awesome. He would of course use his Booster as his recovery move and the Spur as a chargeable B move, but I wonder what his other moves would be? Could he use the Bubbler as a shield, the Blade as a melee move or the Fireball as a tricky projectile? His Final Smash would probably be the Nemesis, which would do more damage the more injured you are (shooting only harmless ducks at 0%).

It would also be cool if some of his alt colours were Curly-, King- and Misery-based.

Personally, I'm all for DLC characters, trophies and stages so long as they're handled correctly.

NeonZ

Smash Bros is one of the Nintendo games with long life spams, they should be able to sell DLC content well even years after the game's release, so I hope they do support it with significant DLC after launch. Really, think about releasing a new character and stage alongside some new big Nintendo or 3rd party game. People would easily jump on that.

Easy, make it a Final Smash.

Nah, his sword's blade IS the laser. Despite the appearance the red part isn't an edge. Whenever he draws the sword the laser comes out, the form it's in on the picture is the "sheathed" sword.

EDIT: Though it's poor quality, here's a picture accurately displaying the actual size of the weapon in combat. The thing's longer than he is:

960564_20110819_screen004.jpg

Ivan 3414

I think

220px-Stafy5.png

is a lot more likely than people think. His last game sold pretty well worldwide. We're getting newcomers, and honestly he's one of the most likely newcomers from a series that hasn't been represented yet.

GamerSoul

Guess my last post got too hot for convo, sorry ... gonna go back to avoiding long rants now.

Anyway, I'm sure there will be DLC characters and other things (as I said before, Sakurai wasn't against the idle back with brawl ... the Wii simply couldn't do it. Now both the 3DS and WiiU can do it soooo yeah). I don't think it will be "on-disc" like the the clusterfuck Capcoms doing though.

Personally I can see it being mainly for 3rd party characters. That way they can make sure to get in 1st party characters they want in instead of having what allegedly happened with Sonic happen again. Could also be for cult characters or new IPs to spur sells and interest months/years after release.

Non-character wise? It could be any thing ... stages, model changes, items, patches and so on :p

This is what I really want to happen because there is no doubt people will be playing Smash U for the duration of the consoles lifetime, and well after, when the game is released so it could serve as a hub to introduce new and old characters to people. They should really consider creating a compain channel to the game for news,polls, and stuff like that.

We still need more playable fabulous characters.

F-Zero has a staggering amount of fabulous characters.

An excerpt:
Jack Levin, the teenage boy star.
Baba, who, in F-Zero X, has the death scream of a woman, and of course his little video.
Mr. EAD (reference to the EAD studio).
Super Arrow (who is married to a female body builder).
Phoenix (i.e. Captain Falcon from the future, more or less).

And my personal favorite, Dr. Stewart, who is one of the 4 series veterans.

cednym

Banned
I honestly still don't feel Palutena is that certain myself. Seems to me like if they were gonna put another Kid Icarus character in it would be Medusa to give Pit an adversary like they did with Bowser, Wolf and Ganondorf.

But we got Luigi, Falco, and Zelda before Bowser, Wolf, and Ganondorf, so it doesn't make much sense to use that as justification for Medusa over Palutena.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom