• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tenck

Gunloc said:
-New Super Smash Bros. Ideas-

-All Brawl characters return (Except for Sonic, Snake & Toon Link)
-Roy, Mewtwo & Young Link return
-No third party characters
-Dr. Mario is now an alt costume for Mario, Pichu is an alt costume for Pikachu & Toon Link is an alt costume for Young Link (With any moveset/gameplay differences applying upon selection)
-All characters have alternate costumes ala Wario (ex. Ike has his Radiant Dawn appearance, etc.)
-All characters now have unique Final Smashes (No duplicates)
-Each series that is represented with a playable character has a stage
-All the major modes return (Classic, All-Star, Adventure, Event, Stadium)
-Adventure mode will focus on the series represented instead of unique locations
-Create-a-Stage has a more robust editor
-Trophies & CDs return
-All items return (With individual toggles)
-All first party assist trophies return
-Tripping can be toggled

New Characters:

-Mach Rider
-Fighter Hayabusa
-Little Mac
-Soda Popinski
-Disk-kun
-Chibi-Robo
-Toadette
-Palutena
-Magnus
-Starfy
-Kyle Hyde

Plus, more representatives from the follow games:
-Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan/Elite Beat Agents
-Fire Emblem
-F-Zero
-Pokémon (One from each generation)
-Animal Crossing
-Kirby (A helper character preferably)

I can agree with most of your stuff except the bolded part. I don't see myself using third party characters myself much, but having variety is always nice. I know some people would love for characters like Mega Man and Travis Touchdown.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
This thread subject reminds me again that the build up to SSBB was infinitely better and more fun than the game actually was.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
I expect Sonic (and shitty friends) to stay, but Snake (and Grey Fox) to be replaced with another third party character (my number one wish would probably be Travis Touchdown, with Phoenix Wright being a close second just because he's already in UMvC3).

New characters from Nintendo games released after Brawl's cast was finalized are a given, either playable or as assist trophies. I hope we get less clones, though.

Several alternate outfits that aren't just recolors would also be very appreciated. As far as single player modes go, I wouldn't mind a new SSE-like one to be honest. Who says it can't be any better, after all?

A Link to the Snitch said:
Why not? The clones could be turned into alternate outfits.

Oblivion said:
This thread subject reminds me again that the build up to SSBB was infinitely better and more fun than the game actually was.

Precisely why I'm avoiding Japan Time this time around. I don't care how difficult it'll be, if I'm actually getting this Smash game, I'm avoiding whatever god-forsaken site they're using to post updates from the get-go.

Or I'll wind up crumbling by altering my sleep schedule for the next eon. We'll see.

A Link to the Snitch said:
eh if you don't count clone characters kind of blatantly made at the last minute it's more like 11, 8, and 14 (12 if you count those first 3 as one character), but I get your point. Just pointing out in the grand scheme of things banking on several new playable Kid Icarus characters just because it's the same guy making Smash 4 isn't too logical. Medusa would still be really cool though.

Now that I think about it, I wonder if they'll start throwing in more girls since there's only a pitiful 3 or 4 in at the moment compared to the 30 or so guys? There's still a few plausible choices:

Mona (if they're still on their Wario Ware kick)
Dixie Kong (would prefer K. Rool or a largely self-referential, 4th-wall breaking Cranky, but since she was planned for Brawl she's probably a shoe-in for Smash 4)
Jill Dozer (Incredibly fun character who deserved her game to sell better :( )
Lip (Tetris Attack is my favorite puzzle game, so may as well root for the real hero of the series)
Dark Samus (Unlikely and not even sure if DS even really counts as having a gender, but she'd still be a way to represent the Prime trilogy)
Medusa (Already said why)

If Rare was still with Nintendo you'd already have Gruntilda, Kameo and Joanna Dark right off the bat :(

Jocchan said:
And their alternate outfits can have alternate outfits as well.

34r7fv8.png

I'd rather alternate costumes just be different costumes for the real character. The clones could be given unique movesets.

Astrosanity said:
If Rare was still with Nintendo you'd already have Gruntilda, Kameo and Joanna Dark right off the bat :(

I'd have something to say about Jo if Snake weren't in the game. She could use Maian/Skedar technology.

Which brings me to another thing: Were the Cloaking Device and Proximity Mine in Melee from Perfect Dark, or was that my imagination?

Here's one thing I liked that Brawl introduced; assist trophies. Already have a few ideas that would be neat;

Fuzzy (Yoshi's Island): Touch Him, Get Dizzy*

Rambi (DKC series): Introduce more interactive AT's like Starfy was; in the case of Rambi you can ride him around and use him like an easier to control hammer which works better when you're charging madly around a stage, with the drawback being he's harder to control in this state and people can hit you off him and ride him for themselves. Grand Theft Rhino and all that.

Stanley (Donkey Kong 3): Wouldn't make sense for him to be playable but he's still a classic retro character I have no idea why Nintendo always ignores, even if his debut game is a bit forgettable. Have him run around hitting people with his bug spray which knocks them out for awhile, or maybe they attract bees/zingers that attack you or something. WHAT A GRAND RETURN TO THE GAMING MAINSTREAM.

Pious (Eternal Darkness): If Nintendo (or Silicon Knights) is never going to make another one of these, the least they could do is acknowledge it existed. Anyway, Pious shows up, summons either Xel'lotath, Chattur'gha or Ulyaoth, which determines what happens. Either spawning demons that attack you or triggering insanity effects like character's damage suddenly spazzing out, reversed controls, gravity going upside down, bugs crawling across the screen or the match going to the results screen... Just for the fight to still be taking place in the background.

NiGHTS: Maybe for companies who already have a character in the series include some of their other properties? He could fly around the stage spawning giant rings and if whoever summoned him jumps through them they get a useful item or healed a significant amount of damage.

* And proceed to run headlong into a bottomless pit

oh god damn it why does smash always do this to me :I

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Gravijah said:
what's the point in removing clones if they're still there
Less balancing work needed if they become simple reskins instead of copies with slight differences.

ZacharyDCCLXXVII said:
I'd rather alternate costumes just be different costumes for the real character. The clones could be given unique movesets.
This would, of course, be the best scenario.

Gravijah

here's who would be removed if clones are removed

Luigi
Falco
Wolf
Lucas
Toon Link
Ganondorf

removing luigi, huh? alright i'm ok with removing clones~

Luigi only shares two moves with Mario at this point though, both of which require completely different strat- oh you're joking

Though all of the clones that were in Brawl deserve to stay, I'd like to see them get reworked. Toon Link and Falco make sense at least, but I'd honestly sacrifice the chance of a new character at this point if it meant getting Ganondorf with a proper moveset.

Gravijah said:
here's who would be removed if clones are removed

Luigi
Falco
Wolf
Lucas
Toon Link
Ganondorf

removing luigi, huh? alright i'm ok with removing clones~

Pretty much why clones shouldn't be removed, and in any case where they were, Luigi should be immune to that. He's the only one who shouldn't get a moveset change. Everyone is fair game, though, and they're all great characters, although I'm not too crazy about Toon Link now that I think about it. Figure we could get a more worthwhile Zelda character in place of him.

Jocchan said:
This would, of course, be the best scenario.

So what I'm hearing is that this would never happen. :(

PokéKong

Every clone deserves the opportunity to evolve into an incrementally more unique character.

I always thought it would be funny if they finally gave Ganondorf a completely new moveset with a sword, and then put in Samurai Goroh as a clone of him.

NeonZ

I don't see why some people say that clones should be alternate costumes, but keeping the gameplay differences. That isn't really an alternate costume, it's just a clone hidden from the main roll of the character selection screen.

Anyway, I hope we get more characters from each franchise represented in the game. They'll need to start adding secondary characters, but I don't see the problem, as long as the main character is there before the secondary ones, unlike what happens sometimes in the Capcom Vs games.

If the screen starts getting too 'confusing', they could just change its format - maybe we could choose a series and afterwards the character itself. Maybe that way people might overlook the "clones" more without needing to do something as random a hiding them from the selection screen.

Big One

Banned
Lucas, Falco, Wolf, Ganondorf, and even Roy have every right to be in Smash to be honest, there's no real reason to why they're clones either. Everyone of them have potential for new movesets if Sakurai just gets creative enough. Luigi as a character makes perfect sense on why he's a clone so he's completely acceptable the way he is.

I'm interested in seeing how Ganondorf will look since he isn't going to be in Skyward Sword. They're gonna have to give him a new design.

Toon Link was my main man in Brawl but he really needs to be integrated into Link. I think having two Links is a waste of space for the most part. As much as I love Toon Link as a character, I think he does need to go and have his speed integrated into the regular Link.

JazzmanZ

I fully expect one Capcom character to make a appearance in the game chances are it will be either Megaman or Ryu, maybe both if we're lucky!

Gravijah

JazzmanZ said:
I fully expect one Capcom character to make a appearance in the game chances are it will be either Megaman or Ryu, maybe both if we're lucky!

personally i think it's going to be jedah.

I'm a little torn on the issue of Links. On one hand people don't want to look at a character select screen filled with 3-4 Link slots. On the other hand, I was pretty pissed when Brawl ignored basically everything that made Twilight Link unique other than the Gale Boomerang, in favor of reskinning OoT Link. They pretty much did the same for Zelda too, using a scrapped, unused design of a "Twilight Sheik" instead of working around Zelda's unique attributes of that game. What if instead of going Sheik, she might turn into Puppet Zelda, sort of Dark Phoenix style? Instead they just wanted to make sure Melee fans had their same basic characters back in different outfits.

Now we have Skyward Sword coming up, and I don't want that Link's unique qualities and tools to be ignored so we can get "Smash" Link again. And I still would like to see Twilight Link revisted properly, with actual use of things like the wolf transformation, Midna, and dual clawshots. I don't know how you would resolve this, maybe selecting "styles" when you pick the single Link slot, but I would still like to see not only the Smash fans happy, but the Zelda fans too.

Alt costumes for everybody, no stat differences, each alt with at least four palettes each obviously. Dr. Mario, Link in farmhand/casual clothes (Toon Link in PJs), Peach in one of her "Sports" outfits, Sonic as Classic Sonic, etc.

I would like to see one more third party added, Capcom with Mega Man (but I have this feeling it'd be Tecmo instead), and I would like to see both Sonic and Snake get a second character, probably villains. Sonic and Eggman are as classic a line-up as Mario and Bowser, bringing over one without the other was a misstep, especially for a game so short on villains.

Never copy-paste Final Smashes again. Yes, Wolf had a different skin for his Landmaster, and they all had different stats, but they were three separate tanks. If the character actually complains about the method of attack he or she's going to use, it's probably not a good choice of an iconic attack for him or her.

My final thing is that I do want Adventure Stages back, but not SSE. The stages should be in a more random order with different branching paths, maybe depending on which "group" of character you start with (good, evil, neutral, chaotic). And I want those stages, and the enemies in them, to celebrate Nintendo's history a lot better than just making up random "Subspace" enemies. Also, no weird knocks against the players and their fandom like Mushroomy Kingdom. That didn't even make sense, his justification on the Dojo about no one ever revisiting it. If he had done that with 2-1, maybe, but not 1-1. So it came across to me as more of a slight against the player for wanting the predictable.

Throavium

Either, remove the clones, or alter the movesets of the clones so much that that clone is no longer a clone.

But, Young Link, no thanks.

TreIII

Snakeyes said:
The roster needs more women IMO

Truth. Characters like Jody Summers (F-Zero), Ashley (Warioware) and the various female leads from Fire Emblem (my personal choice would be Marth's boo, Pegasus Rider Shiida) have all been around for quite a while now, yet Sakurai never used them.

Hopefully, that stands to change. Even brain-dead picks like Rosalina and (...ugh) Krystal would be an improvement over how there were no new female additions to the roster last time.

Dr.Hadji

mugwhump said:
-Good gameplay. Why remove combos from a series with (arguably) the best combo system ever?

Ok I'm going to come out and say it. Combos are over hyped. Give me some intra-character interplay any day of the week.

The Lamp

Gravijah said:
krystal would play awesome. you guys hate too much.

She should have been in instead of Wolf if they had to pick between the two. She has magic and a gatdam staff. It screams creative moveset.

Azure J

I would love to see Lyn make it, but can't see it happening with the reasoning being something like "oh there's already two FE characters based around swordplay and Lyn starred in a game whose time has come and gone." :(

Takamaru is my only hope of getting that high speed quick draw fighting style in this series, isn't he?

Razorwind

I actually hope that it becomes more accessible to anyone who wants to try it. Random events train reactions and adapting to situations makes for a better experience.

Also gives the button spamming friends who came over for a gathering a good chance to try it instead of sticking firmly to wii sports or raving rabbids.

Tripping didn't annoy me that much. No, I lie, it was fucking annoying, having a random event ruin your game. But still, it wasn't THAT bad. Maybe.

Anyway, I'm curious how the 3DS compatibility will work for this game... of course, they can't fit the entire WiiU game onto the system, so are we talking two separate games?
Two separate single player story lines that interconnect would be cool.
And imagine the trophies and rewards you could get for doing things with both systems.
I.e., gaining a playable character for getting a Streetpass with someone who also plays the game on both systems.

TreIII

Ubermatik said:
Anyway, I'm curious how the 3DS compatibility will work for this game... of course, they can't fit the entire WiiU game onto the system, so are we talking two separate games? Two separate single player story lines that interconnect would be cool.
And imagine the trophies and rewards you could get for doing things with both systems.
I.e., gaining a playable character for getting a Streetpass with someone who also plays the game on both systems.

I would think the ideal way would be to approach the two games from the "Mario Tennis N64/GBC" mindset.

Smash WiiU = More or less standard fare. Should focus on the "arcade-like" experience on consoles.

Smash 3DS = Same basic gameplay as the console game, but can feel free to focus on more action-adventure/RPG-lite mechanics, with plenty of customization to match. If Sakurai wants to have his story mode so badly, let it be in this game, where it can actually be the main focus. If done right, this could be the type of game that could be glued in 3DS slots for years to come. Plus, you could upload characters from this game to the WiiU version.

They do this right and this could be something awesome.

Oblivion said:

I can only sort of agree. The Dojo was an amazing marketing strategy but Brawl was absolutely amazing. I only disliked two things on launch. My first game felt super floaty until I got used to it and no Earthbound demo.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Wolf really should have a counter move like Marth. Then they'll be able to use 'Can't let you do that [insert character name]'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom