• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
So has the game just not begun being programmed yet, or has the production literally not started at all- no concept art, gameplay concepts, etc?

Snakey

So has the game just not begun being programmed yet, or has the production literally not started at all- no concept art, gameplay concepts, etc?

Kid Icarus Uprising went gold last month, so Sakurai is probably in the very early stages of development for Smash 4 as we speak (since he said that there would be no "breather" between development of Uprising and Smash 4).

i wonder what captain falcons final smash will be now.

or will the old characters keep the same ones. hmmmmmmm

Falcon will keep his Blue Falcon FS because it's the only way his car can be incorporated into his moveset. It needs to be there. I think some characters may get new FSs- I hope so, anyway. Maybe find a way to introduce multiple FSs- maybe hold down Special to charge up a better, riskier FS?

Thores

I do expect FE14 to be out by the time Smash 4 is released, however, I think any new characters that debut in it, won't have any bearing on the roster due it having been finalized in 2012.

A good example would be Brawl's development. At the beginning of Brawl's development (October 2005), Sakurai originally had "Fire Emblem newcomer" as a placeholder because he did not know what new Fire Emblem character to put into Brawl (not counting FE6, there were three new Fire Emblems released since Melee at the time of Sakurai beginning development on Brawl). Sakurai then went to Intelligent Systems for their opinion on who to add as the newcomer for Brawl. Keep in mind that at this time Intelligent Systems was deep in development for Radiant Dawn (FE10) and could have easily shown Sakurai a design of Micaiah since she would be the latest lord at the time of Brawl's release. Instead Intelligent Systems suggested Ike to Sakurai. The rest was history.

Ike isn't really a super great example, seeing as he was a main character in Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn. He therefore had twice as many opportunities to get recognized as Micaiah, so he would have been the more obvious choice either way. Besides, Int-Sys has shown Sakurai an upcoming character during Smash development before: Roy. I'm aware he's kind of an extreme example seeing as he's a hastily designed clone, but regardless, I don't really think it's a great idea to automatically count out an in-development character.

You realize that Sheik IS Zelda correct? Impa by no means was the "Sheik" of the game. She was Impa, same old Impa. Sheik was absent in TP as well, and was still present in Brawl (Spare me with the design nonsense). Relevance isn't an issue.

Also, Banjo-Kazooie is unrealistic, but I'm not making it worse by saying they should replace Jigglypuff or something.

Of course I know that Sheik is Zelda. I didn't say Zelda should transform into Impa like she does Sheik, that wouldn't make sense. But Impa, as Zelda's guardian, could be present on the field and swap places with her when called. Think Pokemon Trainer-style switch instead of transformation. And yes, she is Impa, very astute. I just meant that her role in SS was as close as a character got to a Sheik-style role in that game. There wasn't really anyone like that in Twilight Princess. Finally, I already acknowledged that the Smash team could completely ignore relevance and go with Skyward-style Sheik instead, or even go a completely different route. No need to ignore the fact I said that for the sake of further trashing my argument.

Dude, I'm just saying I think it could happen. Why can't you let me think that? Did Impa kick your puppy or something?

Snakey

From the little mini-poll that was done on the previous page the most wanted characters for Smash 4 are:

1. Little Mac (9)
2. Mega Man (8)
3. Ridley (7)
4. Dixie Kong (6)
5. K. Rool/Saki/Isaac (5)

Ike isn't really a super great example, seeing as he was a main character in Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn. He therefore had twice as many opportunities to get recognized as Micaiah, so he would have been the more obvious choice either way. Besides, Int-Sys has shown Sakurai an upcoming character during Smash development before: Roy. I'm aware he's kind of an extreme example seeing as he's a hastily designed clone, but regardless, I don't really think it's a great idea to automatically count out an in-development character.

The point is that Micaiah could have been chosen. Also, it shows that during Brawl, Sakurai had most of the roster decided early on in development. Secondly, it was Sakurai's idea to add Roy as a newcomer in Melee, not Intelligent Systems. We would probably learn more about Roy's inclusion back during Melee if FE6 ever gets remade. Also, I am not ruling out a FE14 lord, I am just seeing it as unlikely considering the history with Brawl, and who is to say that Krom/Chrome won't be the main protagonist again for FE14?

KevinCow

Banned
Man, Banjo-Kazooie would be such a great character. Absolutely deserving, too. They were pretty huge N64 mascots. I remember the Nintendo website had them displayed prominently next to Mario, Link, and DK for years. As a fighter, they have a ton of moves to draw from that could be pretty directly translated to Smash moves, and they have a ton of potential for wacky, unique normals that utilize both characters.

It's a damn shame that it'll never happen. And, you know, Rare in general. Considering how important they were to Nintendo in the N64 era, it's sad that they'll never get the props they deserve in a Smash game.

Agreed. Also, if we got Banjo in Brawl, we could be looking at two more spell casters, Mumbo & Grunty. Grunty being a female villain is also a plus.

Snakey

Would anyone else here smile if ALL of the cut Melee characters were brought back?

However, that would possibly exclude Young Link, since Toon Link is more of a design change than an entirely new character.

Maybe arrange all the brought back Melee characters in a column on the selection screen (since in Brawl columns have character grouping themes, and this column's theme would be cut Melee characters):
Mewtwo
Roy
Dr. Mario
Pichu
Random Box

Also, this scenario assumes that these characters were simply added as bonus with time left over at the end of development, and did not take up the space of whatever character you wanted to see in.

Javier

My list of 12:

1.- Dixie Kong
2.- Saki
3.- Micaiah
4.- Midna (Final form)
5.- Shulk
6.- Leaf
7.- Rosalina
8.- Little Mac
9.- Mike Jones
10.- King K. Rool
11.- Mona
12.- Mega Man

I know this list is not realistic by any means, but hey, it's what I like to see.

PokéKong

Assume for a moment that SSB4 will have an absolutely massive roster. Would anybody be opposed to have all three Mewtwo, Lucario, AND Zoroark?

I am assuming Zoroark would be 100% unique in his fighting style, given that he differs from the other two in every aspect besides resembling an anthropomorphic animal. Anyone thinking Zoroark would be anything remotely close to a clone can't know much about Pokemon.

You realize that Sheik IS Zelda correct? Impa by no means was the "Sheik" of the game. She was Impa, same old Impa. Sheik was absent in TP as well, and was still present in Brawl (Spare me with the design nonsense). Relevance isn't an issue.

It's speculated that Zelda's whole Sheik persona is inspired by Impa. They were drawn by the same archetype, but yeah the connections end there. Since I'm all against transforming characters, I'd be for copying some of Sheik into Impa's moveset

I would give my left nut for all the cut Melee characters to return. Bring back Doc with his pill throwing goodness. He was my main, Mario doesn't cut it as a replacement main. I even think Pichu would be a great return, give him Discharge as his Final Smash, making him shoot off a big wave of electricity based on the amount of damage he had inflicted himself with prior to doing it.

Hell I think I'd be okay with bringing back Young Link in addition to Toon Link already being there (uncloned even, I don't give a shit).

As for potential Zelda newcomers I still think Toon Zelda is the most likely candidate, perhaps transforming into a Phantom instead of "Toon Sheik"/Tetra.

PokéKong;35291255 said:
Assume for a moment that SSB4 will have an absolutely massive roster. Would anybody be opposed to have all three Mewtwo, Lucario, AND Zoroark?

I am assuming Zoroark would be 100% unique in his fighting style, given that he differs from the other two in every aspect besides resembling an anthropomorphic animal. Anyone thinking Zoroark would be anything remotely close to a clone can't know much about Pokemon.

I doubt very many people would have pegged Ganondorf as a Falcon clone before Melee...

Kjellson

Same reason Pikachu's playable. He's the mascot of a pretty popular franchise.

Also I'm remembering way too many more good choices, I don't think 12 was a big enough number. :(
I've never played Dragon Quest, but isn't it just a regular, standard enemy? Like Goomba.

OK, finally got my internet working …damn hotel connection >_>
So no one has anything to say about my write-up for female Nintendo characters at the top of this page.

Ok, I'll bite if only for the ones I think could get in ... will avoid going into Krystal convo because that's getting old.

Dixie Kong was one of the protagonists in two out of three games to the DKC trilogy (which pretty much were the among the highest selling games for the Super Nintendo, as well as among the highest acclaimed). She was also one of the main two playable characters in Donkey Kong Land 2 and Donkey Kong Land 3. She also appeared as a playable character in Diddy Kong Racing DS, Donkey Konga 2, Donkey Konga 3, DK: King of Swing, and Donkey Kong: Jungle Climber. She even managed to become a playable character in several of the Mario spinoffs (Mario Hoops 3-on-3, Mario Superstar Baseball, and Mario Super Sluggers).
I don't care for Dixie Kong and I feel K Rool should get what I think should be the the last spot for DK. But ehh, I'm sure Sakurai would give her an original move-set seeing as he could have likely made her a clone with no problem had he wanted to (And I think she's in the forbidden 7 IIRC) so w/e, great ... nice "case" for her. Doesn't mean she's the only worthy female.

Captain Syrup: Was the antagonist of Wario Land and Wario Land 2. However, in both of these games she was unable to fight without the help of a genie (Wario Land) and giant machine (Wario Land 2). Basically disappeared from the series altogether for a decade, until she reappeared in Wario Land Shake It.... as a shopkeeper.
Actually, no.
She used Wario to get what she wanted.
"In Wario Land: Shake It!, Captain Syrup observes the crisis of the Shake Dimension inside the Ancient Globe and finds out the existence of the Bottomless Coin Sack, possessed by the evil Shake King. Desiring the treasure but not wanting to get it herself, she steals the Ancient Globe and gives it to Wario, who travels to the dimension to get the sack for himself. Captain Syrup's role in the game is to sell Wario maps of continents after he defeats a boss. At the end of the game, Wario takes the Bottomless Coin Sack for himself, but Captain Syrup takes it while he's not looking and runs off."

Their relationship is pretty much them screwing over each other because they're both equally greedy mofos. So she sends Wario on a mission (this game's whole set up) so that she can take this treasure for herself. That's actually a pretty sweet con ... not only did he do all the dirty work for her but she had a con laid OVER that with him having to buy stuff from her to get the thing that she would later left off him.

As for the way she fights ... that only gives her more options IMO. Having her tap into the powers of these machines and stuff or simply use them is pretty expected. Hell, that's how Zelda got her move-set ...

Female WarioWare characters (Mona, Ashley, Kat & Ana): Kat & Ana actually do have combat potential, but they are vastly overshadowed by the likes of Takamaru and Samurai Goroh for a possible katana user.
You heard it here first people, no character can use a weapon that's similar to another character's weapon ... and apparently it's all but confirmed that Takamaru and Samurai Goroh are in SSB4.

Impa: Has a long history with the Zelda series, but in her most of her appearances she is either an elderly lady or morbidly obese. She was a lithe, physically fit young woman in Ocarina of Time and Skyward Sword though. People who suggest her in say that she should replace Sheik. The big problem with this is that the Smash Bros. fanbase is VEHEMENTLY AGAINST this idea, and Sakurai himself tends to be conservative and traditional.

This reasoning makes no sense.
People want her in the game because she's an important character in the series.
Some/ Most assume she would replace Sheik because Sheik is just a one-shot alter-ego of one Zelda.
Somehow that means that she could ONLY be a Sheik replacement?
Sakurai wouldn't do w/e ...?

I would PREFER she replace Sheik seeing as that ... make's sense. But if he doesn't want that then he doesn't have to do that to make her a character. As of right now she's the one important staple in the series that isn't represented in the roster. Also doesn't matter how she changed over time seeing how her latest form is the one that shows off her skills the best.

]Rosalina: Was a major character in Super Mario Galaxy. However, she was basically relegated to cameo status in Super Mario Galaxy 2. She appeared as a playable racer in Mario Kart Wii and Mario Kart 7, however, Toad, Waluigi, and Daisy have a far more extensive history in the spinoffs than she does. Does not help that she was never shown to have a fighting nature in the Super Mario Galaxy games (instead shown to be motherly).

The way they're treating Rosalina is as a "Galaxy Rep". That's why she's in the spin-off games, that's why she's the "Helper Witch", that's why you have to have a SMG save file to unlock her in MK Wii. If she got into Smash it would be as a "Galaxy Rep" (Galaxy being the line of games we're assuming the console Mario's will take) so the amount of spin-offs she has appeared in shouldn't matter. She'd be a rep for a line of mainline console Mario games which is more than what can be said for other Mario characters.

When Kid Icarus Uprising comes out, I will give my two-cents on Palutena and Medusa. However, as it currently stands, Dixie Kong by far has the strongest resume of any female character that is not yet in Smash Bros. Her only existing problem is competing with K. Rool, but even then, why can't Sakurai just allow for two DK newcomers especially considering the Donkey Kong series is the biggest Nintendo series outside of Mario, Pokemon, and Zelda.
After a certain number of series I don't think Sakurai cares about how big a series is.
Sure, I'm 100% sure Pokemon will get 2+ new Characters and Mario could get one and HOPEFULLY LoZ gets something that aint a damn clone. But at the end of the day we still have 3 StarFox characters regardless of how messy that series has gotten, 2 EB characters despite the fact that the series is outdated-obscure and only had 2 games make it out of JPN (According to Sakurai he was gonna replace Ness with Lucas for Melee but decided against it for w/e reason) and only 2 DK characters in brawl.

I think that once he passes the top 3 series he just does w/e he wants for the most part. So if he likes a series or thinks it's characters have potential then he goes with it.

The Smash fanbase is so strange ... instead of talking about what we WANT people try to limit things to "what they thing Sakurai wants" which, inturn, results in People talking about Zoroark and starter Pokemon instead of w/e they may actually want.
I was actually think of that as a possibility lol. She looks like a character that would "fit" as a Snake clone but dem odds man. AGain she looks like she would be a good character.
I think Snake proves how a character's image can be worked around. There's tons of army shit outside of guns that she can use.

There was a hand-written list that supposedly mentioned all the newcomers in "Smash Universe".

From what I gather that's not really the full story ... and I haven't seen one translation that listed Mewtwo but w/e.
That'd be really appreciated, Snakey. I know you probably don't mean to do this but between you and Black-Wind I feel kind of attacked for every opinion I have in this thread, and it's why I haven't posted in a couple days..

Sorry if I made you feel that way, I certainly don't recall having a heated convo with you.

Personally I think that the Smash fanbase is so incestual at this point that these discussions get far clogged up and never go anywhere. And by "incestual" I mean SOME people seem to only want to allow speculation based on what they think Sakurai wants/ thinks people wants. So it's basically everyone discussing ... what this one man may or may not want to put into a "game for Nintendo fans" instead of talking about what they may actually want. That's how these things ALWAYS ended up in the Brawl madness so I just try to keep things from going there ... sorry if I jumped on you :p

I doubt very many people would have pegged Ganondorf as a Falcon clone before Melee...
Yeah, this is smash ... Link being Tooned up didn't stop them from making him a clone so nothings out of the question.

I would prefer Mewtwo over either of them but I'm sure that spot will go to the 6th gen poster boy regardless.

Thores

Sorry if I made you feel that way, I certainly don't recall having a heated convo with you.

Personally I think that the Smash fanbase is so incestual at this point that these discussions get far clogged up and never go anywhere. And by "incestual" I mean SOME people seem to only want to allow speculation based on what they think Sakurai wants/ thinks people wants. So it's basically everyone discussing ... what this one man may or may not want to put into a "game for Nintendo fans" instead of talking about what they may actually want. That's how these things ALWAYS ended up in the Brawl madness so I just try to keep things from going there ... sorry if I jumped on you :p

Our argument wasn't really that heated, just you know, pedantic. But thanks, man, apology accepted. :]

Snakey

It seems as though I got under Black-Wind's skin once again.

Also, why would Rosalina be added as a "Galaxy rep" when the Galaxy series is now over? Its more likely that the Galaxy representation for Smash 4 will simply be a stage based on the Galaxy titles (either Good Egg Galaxy or Star Ship Mario). Rosalina might show up as an Assist Trophy, but I am seriously doubting playable status. Super Mario 3D Land has already outsold both Galaxy titles in Japan. The next Mario 3D platformer will most likely not having anything to do with Super Mario Galaxy as well.

Also, it seemed you got seriously agitated when I suggested that Takamaru and Samurai Goroh are more likely than Kat & Ana. Why do things that most of the Smash Bros. fanbase thinks irks you so much? Can you at least acknowledge that far more people desire both of those characters than Kat & Ana.

Also, my assessment about Captain Syrup's role in Wario Land Shake It was still correct. You simply chose to emphasis her storyline importance in the game. In Brawl, the only content for the Wario Land series was one sticker for Wario World and one sticker for Virtual Boy Wario Land. The only other reference was Wario's smash-A move. All of the other Wario content in Brawl was from WarioWare. If there is a second Wario character it will most likely be someone from the WarioWare series (most likely Mona or Jimmy T.)

Berordn

Also, it seemed you got seriously agitated when I suggested that Takamaru and Samurai Goroh are more likely than Kat & Ana. Why do things that most of the Smash Bros. fanbase thinks irks you so much? Can you at least acknowledge that far more people desire both of those characters than Kat & Ana.

Far fewer people know who Takamaru and Goroh are compared to Kat & Ana. One of those is a game that never even had a franchise spawn from it, another has laid dormant for eight years now. WarioWare is an ongoing series that the random onlooker will recognize. The Smash Bros. fanbase is far larger than the slice that makes itself vocal on the internet.

Sadsic

I'll add my character wishlist too:

Nintendo Characters I'd Like

1.) Isaac / Matthew from Golden Sun (final smash is summoning Charon)
2.) Ghirahim (final smash is Ghirahim 3)
3.) Paper Mario (final smash is summoning all Partners at once)
4.) Animal Crossing Boy/Girl (final smash is Tom Nook "firing" the other players)
5.) Shulk (final smash is seeing visions of future attacks and becoming invincible)
6.) Little Mac (final smash is Knockout Punch)
7.) Dillon (final smash is the sky turning red and Groks storming the screen)
8.) Captain Brenner (final smash is summoning troops to aid him)
9.) Captain Rainbow (final smash is having a minor Nintendo character defend him)
10.) Tingle (final smash is turning into dust and rallying the audience, hurting the players)

I'd also really like "alter ego" costumes so characters like Dr. Mario or or Yarn Kirby or 8-bit Link could become costumes for the main characters, but with unique moves and looks. This could be DLC!

Third Party Characters I'd Like

1.) Megaman (so many different final smashes possible...)
2.) Simon Belmont (same)
3.) Travis Touchdown (final smash is getting a boner and saying Moe)
4.) Shantae (final smash is transforming into an elephant and going crackers)
5.) Banjo-Kazooie (final smash is being transformed into a T-Rex by Mumbo Jumbo)

Really there's a million possibilities with 3rd parties.

Snakey

Far fewer people know who Takamaru and Goroh are compared to Kat & Ana. One of those is a game that never even had a franchise spawn from it, another has laid dormant for eight years now. WarioWare is an ongoing series that the random onlooker will recognize. The Smash Bros. fanbase is far larger than the slice that makes itself vocal on the internet.

Kat & Ana are more well known, however, put all three characters into a poll on any Smash Bros. message board on any site, and Kat & Ana will always come in last.

Berordn

Kat & Ana are more well known, however, put all three characters into a poll on any Smash Bros. message board on any site, and Kat & Ana will always come in last.

Sure, but it's not like anyone is going to a Smash Bros. related forum for character suggestions.

Snakey

Sure, but it's not like anyone is going to a Smash Bros. related forum for character suggestions.

There is also the matter that Nazo no Murasame-jo is a cult hit in Japan, and Takamaru is basically Japan's equivalent of Little Mac (in amount of requests too). Sakurai has also talked of adding Takamaru if he appeared in another game. I am not sure if his appearance in Samurai Warriors 3 and the presence of Nazo no Murasame-jo Mode in that game counts as a new game in Sakurai's eyes though.

However, Takamaru is definitely among the most wanted newcomers in Japan, and is basically desired to the extent that Little Mac is desired here.

LIST TIME

You get 12 newcomers. Transforming characters count each form individually - Zelda would be 2, Pokemon Trainer would be 3.

Go.

1. Impa
2. Medusa
3. Ridley
4. Mii
5. Little Mac
6. Isaac
7. Cranky Kong
8. Duck Hunt Dog
9. Captain N
10. Mewtwo (return)
11. Takamaru
12. Saki

Yeah, I think that if Nintendo were to set up another official poll, Takamaru would get more votes than Kat and Ana, maybe just because there's not much putting Kat and Ana over any other WarioWare character. Plus, in Japan, Takamaru's game is held in the same regard as Kid Icarus or Punch-Out (in America, at least). I think there's a pretty good chance of him getting in.

Azure J

List of 12?

1. Mega Man
2. Mike Jones (StarTropics)
3. Takamaru
4. Lip
5. Toad
6. Daisy
7. Saki/Isa/Katchi
8. Captain Syrup (Wario Land)
9. Little Mac
10. Palutena
11. Medusa
12. Issac (Golden Sun)

No order given to the characters here. Honorable mentions go to Kamek, Black Shadow, and Chrono/Neku/DQ Hero though.

Edit: Way to miss a glaring error there. :lol

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
LIST TIME

You get 12 newcomers. Transforming characters count each form individually - Zelda would be 2, Pokemon Trainer would be 3.

Go.

1. King K. Rool
2. Takamaru
3. Issac (or any Golden Sun representative, Felix, or matthew)
4. Duck Hunt Dog/Laughing Dog
5. Little Mac
6. Medusa
7. Ridley
8. Shulk
9. Black Shadow (So he can take ganondorf's moveset)
10. Mike Jones
11. Megaman
12. Cap. Syrup

illadelph

1. Little Mac
2. Ridley
3. Mega Man
4. Tingle
5. Samurai Goroh
6. Duck Hunt Dog
7. King K. Rool
8. Medusa
9. Muddy Mole
10. Bomberman
11. Pac-Man
12. Animal Crosser or Tom Nook

Big One

Banned
LIST TIME

Go.
1. Takamaru
Samurai moveset, would be extremely unique and badass.
2. Claus
I want this character so bad, but I kind of doubt we'll get another Mother rep. Just so much potential.
3. King K. Rool
Main villain of Donkey Kong series, enough said.
4. Waluigi
I want to see this, but NOT have a moveset based off sports. Instead, his entire moveset could be focused on setting traps, playing dirty tricks, and cheating. An anti-meta character.
5. Dillion
Would be badass and unique.
6. Little Mac
Deserves rep, has a solid new design to work with and plenty of potential for a pure beater character.
7. Prince Fluff
I know I know, more Kirby rep. Well this guy was supposed to be the star of his own series, but got shafted. Either way I want him in cause he would have a unique and cool moveset based off the controls in Epic Yarn.
8. Shulk
WITH THE POWER OF THE MONADO...yes, it'll be amazing.
9. Reyn
REYN TIME!!
10. Muddy Mole
Imaging juggling a character by digging underground and bouncing them up in the air back in forth. Shit would be boss. Muddy could be a troll character.
11. Starfy
Despite his appearance he has a large array of moveset for him. When Brawl was being hyped, I was never convinced on him and thought he'd be too weak and lame for Smash. But after playing the games I'm convinced he has a crapload of potential.
12. Isaac
The psychic powers would be really awesome to see in Smash.

Not in any specific order, I just numbered them so I don't forget how much I have, lol.

Javier

Isn't WarioWare's Ashley like, INSANELY popular in Japan? If Sakurai were to add a Wario character based solely on a Japanese poll, she would most likely win.

Jackano

Has someone posted the idea that Nintendo/Sakurai may think opening the whole character-stage-music creation to all their prefered third parties?
Like in, Capcom putting Megaman as a not free DLC, Konami selling Snake, Nintendo providing free clones à la Dr.Mario or paid clones à la Mewtwo, etc...

The thing only needs to be balanced and integrated by a small team after the game's release, and could be an extension of the work started on Brawl with the implementation of Snake and Sonic. This could be a new step Nintendo of working with third parties for the greater good, opening to them the paid DLC of one of their most popular franchise.
Seriously, the more I'm thinking of it, the more I can see it happen. Maybe this is philosophically too early for Nintendo on 3DS and Wii U, but still, nothing impossible.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Has someone posted the idea that Nintendo/Sakurai may think opening the whole character-stage-music creation to all their prefered third parties?
Like in, Capcom putting Megaman as a not free DLC, Konami selling Snake, Nintendo providing free clones à la Dr.Mario or paid clones à la Mewtwo, etc...

The thing only needs to be balanced and integrated by a small team after the game's release, and could be an extension of the work started on Brawl with the implementation of Snake and Sonic. This could be a new step Nintendo of working with third parties for the greater good, opening to them the paid DLC of one of their most popular franchise.
Seriously, the more I'm thinking of it, the more I can see it happen. Maybe this is philosophically too early for Nintendo on 3DS and Wii U, but still, nothing impossible.

I know it's too early to say how supportive Nintendo is toward to DLC but I think your idea seem great on the paper. They should make the contact with third party and make the third party characters as DLC characters only so it would be easier to split the benefits.

50% to Nintendo and 50% Third party Company (more likely 30-40% Nintendo and 60-70% Third Party) and I am sure that they are more likely to be willing to make that kind of deal. If Nintendo sell the character with a stage for 5 dollars each.

For example, a million kids would buy Sonic and Emerald Isle stage, so theoretically 50/50% contract would happens. Sega would make 2.5M easily. (along with some kind of fee and etc.) I would think Capcom, Konami, Square-Enix and Sega would take the opportunity to do that to make a small amount of money for lending out the IP.

Would it happens, Nope. I wish it would happens tho.

Kokonoe

Banned
If they add in Paper Mario, they should totally add in the Shadow Queen as one of the bosses.

LIST TIME

Go.

Nintendo (6)

Tetra
Midna
Fi
Vivian (Paper Mario TTYD)
Mewtwo
Paper Mario

Other (5)

Alucard
Shanoa
Red Mage FF1
Mega Man X
Metal Sonic (one of the colors should be Neo Metal Sonic)

Couldn't think of a 12th one.

gosox333

Listing.

Tails
Sora
Mega Man
Paper Mario
King R. Kool
Girahim
Gen V Pokemon Trainer (Only takes up one roster spot, only takes up one spot on my list.)
Zoroark
Dixie Kong
Ridley
Waluigi
Micaiah

Please note the lack of any new Starfox characters.

Mista Koo

Some part of me feels like we won't/shouldn't have 3rd party characters, even though I really wanted Sonic until the last minute. Also Dillon would be a perfect replacement for Sonic and as someone mentioned Sami or any Advance Wars character (never played them) for Snake.

Also while I'd rather get a different WarioWare character, the idea of Kat & Ana sounds great (fast sword character with the two of them alternating slashes).

Ok list time:
-Ridley
-Little Mac
-Palutena
-Medusa
-Dixie Kong
-Balloon Boy/Tingle
-Jimmy T
-Waluigi
-Black Shadow (replaces Ganon, Ganon gets sword)/Samurai Goroh (sword)
-Jill/E. Gadd
-Dillon
-Starfy

Jackano

Would it happens, Nope. I wish it would happens tho.

I think this will be Sakurai's decision in the general design of the game.

Does he want to go toward the DLC, socializing, and such ideas, that probably are still very new inside Nintendo, or on the contrary, does he want to achieve a kind of old-shool game, just focusing on HD graphics, competitive online in the traditionnal fighting games way (and fan-service reduced to a more polished roster compared to brawl).

The later is indeed more likely to happen, especially because of the two versions (Wii U/3DS) of the game and the number of gameplay ideas this will bring alone.
But since Iwata will support and follow him whenever Sakurai's do, pushing Nintendo in new ways could be much more innovative in a sense.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I think this will be Sakurai's decision in the general design of the game.

Does he want to go toward the DLC, socializing, and such ideas, that probably are still very new inside Nintendo, or on the contrary, does he want to achieve a kind of old-shool game, just focusing on HD graphics, competitive online in the traditionnal fighting games way (and fan-service reduced to a more polished roster compared to brawl).

The later is indeed more likely to happen, especially because of the two versions (Wii U/3DS) of the game and the number of gameplay ideas this will bring alone.
But since Iwata will support and follow him whenever Sakurai's do, pushing Nintendo in new ways could be much more innovative in a sense.

Latter wouldn't happens because Sakurai confirmed it himself.

- Sakurai started thinking about what he’d do with the next Smash Bros. while making Kid Icarus
- Sakurai believed it would be wrong to make a simple extension of Melee and Brawl
- He also believed that he couldn’t just increase the volume by adding characters, stages, and improving the visuals
- Sakurai felt that making Smash Bros. for the console just to have improved performance would be wrong

Personally I'd love to see that DLC ^ idea , with 3rd party DLC.

Here's what I'm expecting though.

-Luigified clones/ Melee cuts

-No 3rd party DLC

leroidys

LIST TIME

You get 12 newcomers.

1. Isaac - Golden Sun - He is already in Smash bros as an AT, so they've already created a version of him that works with the smash style. That, and he has three games with a rumored fourth on the way. I've never played any of them, but he seems like a solid addition.
9PgPg.jpg

2. Kamek - yoshi's island- A main antagonist of many games, an iconic character, and a seond rep for the yoshi series.

3. Andy - Wars series - A main protagonist in three of the games. the wars series spans 15 games, so I think its well deserving of a playable rep. He could use his wrench as a weapon. I don't even really like advance wars, but I think the series is a natural for a character addition.

4. Professor E. Gadd - Super Mario series - An alternative yet recognizable character from the mario series. He could use his gadgets such as FLUDD or the ghost vacuum.

5. Ridley - Metroid series - This one is obvious. I would be very surprised if they didn't include him.

6. Tom Nook - Animal Crossing - I don't think that an animal crossing character done right would be out of place. It is a large and popular series. Tom Nook seems the most likely to kick the crap out of someone of all the recurring characters.

7. Chibi Robo - Chibi Robo - He has three games to his name. Also, brawl needs more robots.

8. Mii - Wii series - Psuedo now gen mascot of nintendo. Also, play as yuu! Probably less likely than fawful though...

9. Impa - The Legend of Zeruda - Zelda needs a new rep, and as others have pointed out impa is essentially the fourth most important character in the series. Also, a rep from the newest Zelda title. I don't think they should make her a shiek clone - keep shiek, give impa a unique moveset.

10. prince sable/sukapon - Either one of these would be a great WTF character.

11. balloon kid/fighter- Balloon Fight - I loved balloon kid as a kid, but mainly I want the balloon fighter in for the TINGLE ALT COSTUME.

12. Little Mac - Punch Out - I think a boxer would be boring as shit in a smash game but, whatever, I'm sure they could make it work.

It was actually hard to think of twelve characters that I care about getting in. It should just be a list of 12 "uncloned toon link", but I think they'll keep his moveset like that forever. The list that I came up with has a 3 : 2 ratio of new series to old, which I think is just about ideal. I would rather have new series added than scraping the bottom of the barrel in a well established franchise just because it sells more or whatever.

I love the MGS series, but I think it is really strange and out of place in Smash. I wouldn't mind if he got axed. I don't really want any third party characters, period. I am a mega man fiend, but I would rather them just keep to nintendo fan service unless they were doing a real crossover game.

Emitan

I love how this thread changes from "EVERY CHARACTER IN THIS GAME IS A CLONE" to "HERE'S A NEW CHARACTER BUT THEY HAVE TO REPLACE ANOTHER ONE BECAUSE THEY'RE VAGUELY THE SAME"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom