• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next "Tales of " Wii - First Pic

Ydahs

Some screengrabs from the trailer showing off a good closeup of the protagonist and several environments:

2i745jt.jpg

f9qiqs.jpg

2v3lys5.jpg

slsdfr.jpg

2z6d161.jpg

x0s96r.jpg

wgqask.jpg

flwlmc.jpg

28i5gn6.jpg

15g5rvl.jpg

The second shot shows some very good draw distance. I'm currently playing TotA and I cannot remember the a scene where the camera showed much draw distance. It certainly looks nice!

It also seems that the camera isn't mostly always above the character as it is in Abyss. The second and sixth shot show the camera being behind the protagonist, giving the player a good view on what's ahead.

Also, from the town shot and battle shots, it becomes apparent that real shadows are being used for the environment and characters! About time too.

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
FateBreaker said:
Vesperia sold about 100,000-110,000 in US.

The only confirmed numbers we have are around 60-70k total for the last 2 npd's (sept/oct), no numbers have been listed for the most recent one.

Rpgmonkey

Animations between linked moves look pretty nice. The ones linked up in the trailer anyway.

Sidestepping is something new. Curious about the battlesystem, would like to see a 3D game with no TP and more significant differences in the battlesystem from other 3D games for once. Guy sheathes his sword sometimes and doesn't even use it in all of his attacks, would like to know if that means there are two different fighting styles for characters to use (that'd be interesting, mixing up attacks with the two styles sounds fun), or if it's just how he fights.

wrowa

Mr.Wuggles said:
you think this is by Team Destiny?
No, I just think the (probably) fact that Inamota is the character designer isn't enough to say this Tales is developed by Alfa System or an internal studio. It only means Team Symphonia isn't developing it, but that wasn't possible anyway.

Alfa System should have been to busy the last months with the developement of Phantasy Star Portable and ToW2. I don't believe they have enough ressources to develop one important Tales game at the same time. And honestly, from a technical standpoint this new Tales is looking too good as Alfa could be the developer, imo.

Prax

Flared sleeves and pants.. not so hot..

It will balance out if he has a gregarious and slightly aloof personality--i will also settle for mysteriously cheesy/idiotic. If he's just a normal, idealistic, or angsty lad, I may become very annoyed.

The game is probably going to be subtly cel-shaded like ToS:DotNW was.

Yay! More RPGs!

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
abstract alien said:
Hopefully this main character isnt as utterly annoying and terrible as the guy in symphonia 2.

Emil?!? I'll gladly take him over most all of the previous tales main characters I've seen (haven't played vesperia, but I don't get the impression that I'll take to that guy too well myself)

vareon

I liked what I saw. Clearly the trailer does not say much about the game, though. Not even the title. Valoria :lol

I don't really like that Suzaku meets Saturday night fever outfit though. Maybe it'll grow on me later.

ivysaur12

Banned
Looks great. Sort of odd that the towns aren't populated besides that person jumping up and down. I wonder if there's some meaning to that (along with what seems to be an old film quality on the start and finish of the trailer... "Tales of Genesis" maybe?) or if they just haven't put in the people yet.

And the song sounds just like the first Baten Kaitos... I mean, I love Sakuraba, but he really likes to reuse his stuff.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Nice. I have more hope for this than ToS2.

I really dig the tropical/winter-ish areas shown so far, as well as the main character's design (white = nice).

CTLance

That main character... is it wrong of me that I immediately thought of the guy in Windwaker that gives you the Song of Passing? Yeah? Thought so.
I have no sense of fashion whatsoever, but I'm not exactly impressed by the outfit. ...eh, whatever.

I like the fighting style, and for some reason the fact that he sheathes the sword afterwards. It's the little things that count, I guess.

But fuck all of this. All I want from the next title is a character I do not want to strangle in his own entrails throughout the first few hours of gameplay. As long as they achieve this I'm content.

Im loven the character's design!

Like seeing it in motion. Looks alot better than ToS+ToS2. Love how clean it looks in the graphics area. Nice to see that they are going with a more "cel-shaded/ cartoony" style than the one ToS2 had (not completely cell-shaded but there is much more contrast between shades when compared to ToS2 (crappy textures) from the looks of it. Basicly, it looks brighter and more "cartoony" than ToS2).

I hope they pull a ToV and release the state side version only alil after the JPN one.

Oh, and I like the animation!

vanguardian1 said:
Emil?!? I'll gladly take him over most all of the previous tales main characters I've seen (haven't played vesperia, but I don't get the impression that I'll take to that guy too well myself)
I havent played the ps2 or 360 versions much, so i cant really say much. Ive only played symphonia and the older ones. Is Emil really the best of the recent ones?

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Holy crap did he sweep the legs? This looks fantastic. I seriously was not hyped for this but that trailer looked great and I love the new combat style.

Darkpen

Banned
Am I the only person who though "why the hell is he wearing white clothing; he runs around, adventuring in not-so-prestine places, yet his clothes will forever remain clean"?

Not even so much as grass smudging at his ankles... and I highly doubt they'll address this detail, either.

Rpgmonkey

Golden Darkness said:
Do we know what Tales trademarks are still left?

Names still left (from Datschge's wiki, don't know if there were any other trademarks made recently):

Tales of Harmonia
Tales of Mirage
Tales of the Voice
Tales of Howling
Tales of Two Faiths
Tales of Doom Sign
Tales of the Manes
Tales of Valoria
Tales of Strife
Tales of the Nexus
Tales of the Genesis

And there's that Sword of Legendia game too, but apparently that's not a Tales game.

Granted a lot (if not all) of these were most likely candidates for the other games, but who knows, maybe they'll go back to one. That or this is a prequel/sequel.

Canti said:
iz9wsj.jpg

... I know, 3/10 for execution.

If the sword were gone that would be really awesome. :lol

cress2000

abstract alien said:
I havent played the ps2 or 360 versions much, so i cant really say much. Ive only played symphonia and the older ones. Is Emil really the best of the recent ones?
He's great if you like insecure emos, I guess.

I'd say Yuri Lowell of Vesperia is by far not just the best main character, but the best character in the entire series, and somewhere in my top 3 favorite RPG main characters of all time.

Stumpokapow said:
lol lol lol
Considering it was already at 70k in five weeks, 100k is not out of the realm of possibility. I'd like to know for sure, though.

cress2000 said:
He's great if you like insecure emos, I guess.

I'd say Yuri Lowell of Vesperia is by far not just the best main character, but the best character in the entire series, and somewhere in my top 3 favorite RPG main characters of all time.

I haven't played many tales games (just Vesperia and bit of Abyss) but as far as JRPG leads go, Yuri is up there.

He's emo in a sort of way that a JRPG lead must be, but he's no bitch and you never hear him whine. Someone you tend to root for. All in all a very good character.

I have no idea how he compares to other Tales leads.

Canti said:
2h4lwkw.jpg

:)

Where is this trailer sourced from btw? Can we expect more info soon?

From a bonus disc that came with Hearts.

I would expect something more from Jump Festa on the 20th-21st.

Even if it's just a full-quality trailer, that's fine.

Maybe even the website, as Vesperia's website popped up after the trailer was unveiled.

Neomoto

Man this looks fantastic! Especially the HQ trailer. I'll get this day one most likely. Some incredible environments, real shadowing is nice (as is the combat animations). I don't really like the main character though (his clothes and running animation are fine, just the face in combination with the hair.. hopefully they'll change him somewhat but if not it doesn't really matter of course).

MoogPaul

if the game can keep it's framerate, it'll end up looking real slick. Here's to hoping that enemies pop up on the screen a la Vesperia.

Darkpen said:
Am I the only person who though "why the hell is he wearing white clothing; he runs around, adventuring in not-so-prestine places, yet his clothes will forever remain clean"?

Not even so much as grass smudging at his ankles... and I highly doubt they'll address this detail, either.

Yeah I think this game looks like shit now. It won't be playable if there isn't real time grass staining.

duckroll

This really doesn't look that great. Plus, the trailer looks amazingly early, so much so that not only is there no title to announce, but all the footage are like test sequences. I can't imagine the actual game having towns that are totally devoid of NPCs, dungeons being devoid of enemies and battles with just a single guy fighting one other monster. If they aren't ready to show off the game properly, it's hard to form any positive opinion on it. I can't seriously look at PS2 level engine demo footage and go "wow, looks great" because... it really doesn't. Too bad it's 3D too, because a 2D Tales would be a perfect fit for the Wii. :/

Teknoman

I dunno...The beach area cave and snow sections looked pretty nice to me. That and I dunno what people are on saying ToS 2 hurts their eyes...c'mon. As far as him being whiny, he's supposed to grow up and change as things progress.

duckroll said:
This really doesn't look that great. Plus, the trailer looks amazingly early, so much so that not only is there no title to announce, but all the footage are like test sequences. I can't imagine the actual game having towns that are totally devoid of NPCs, dungeons being devoid of enemies and battles with just a single guy fighting one other monster. If they aren't ready to show off the game properly, it's hard to form any positive opinion on it. I can't seriously look at PS2 level engine demo footage and go "wow, looks great" because... it really doesn't. Too bad it's 3D too, because a 2D Tales would be a perfect fit for the Wii. :/

Your thinking too much.

This vid is from Oct and they cleary don't want to show off much before they can actually reveal it themselves (Maybe in like a week or so. W/e that JPN event rolls out).

This is just a teaser to show off a Ninten's Oct bash, I expect aa full on trailer soon. (and eww at 2D current console Tales)

This just shows off that there IS a Mother ship Tales title coming to the Wii and thats probly all they wanted to show. Just look at the animation and graphics . . . thats all you can do with this.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
duckroll said:
I wouldn't worry: They always do the "empty environments" thing when unveiling new tales games:

see: Legendia unveiling

Hey, duckroll's idea ain't a bad one.

Can you imagine a Tales game with sprites and general art done by Vanillaware?!

Then again, Muramasa ain't far from that, sword fighting, RPG elements, hmm...

duckroll

GaimeGuy said:
I wouldn't worry: They always do the "empty environments" thing when unveiling new tales games:

see: Legendia unveiling

They did it for Abyss and Verperia too, and honestly there's very little reason for me to go wow or get excited over any of them. ToL had pretty awesome art direction in the teaser trailer, much more so than any other Tales, too bad it turned out to be a pile of dogshit.

Edit: Hahahahahaahahahahaa. If Vanillaware does a Tales game, it won't be out until 2015. :p

Bebpo

Banned
Nintendo fans should petition Namco to keep the series 2d on Wii so they can have Tales games with great graphics.

Top Bottom