• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NextGen Wheels peripherals PS4 and Xbox One Thread: NeoGaf Wheel Club Updates in OP

hesido

Logitech's GT wheel had its problems but it had really nice force feedback at a budget price.

Sad to see it go.

amar212

so you mean if i buy a t500 today i'll be safe for the next years to come?
this is all really confusing, i want to buy one but i am scared. now my csr elite is gone i really need a new wheel.

It *should* work, but no one will know 100% before October - when Driveclub launches.

It is the first PS4 that should support wheels before alleged PCARS release in November.

I am not sure what will happen with Codemasters F1 2014 game which was always released in Septmeber - we stil do not have any announcements of it and I am not even certain does the last licensing contract covers 2014 season. Anyone knows?

If I were you, I would wait. I will wait.

I also have my CSRE and have no damn idea what to do with it.

This has probably been asked to death, but what are my options on PS4?

Thrustmaster T500 is so far the only "supported" PS4 FFB wheel, but there is no driving game that still offers wheels to use. So, nothing is certain before October (see above).

Also, your post was motivation to edit the OP and remove Thrustmaster T80 from the list, because it is not FFB wheel and it only confuses people.

I urge everyone to stop recommending T80 anywhere around because it is merely a vibration-device aimed at supermarket-buyers.

p3tran

Banned
I don't have a PS3.

Works on PC so it should be ok.

Did you get your replacement rim?
yes, I got it two days later, and this one was as proper as expected :)
still having to run a lot for my shop these days, so didnt have the proper time to sit down with it yet though. but it works

I urge everyone to stop recommending T80 anywhere around because it is merely a vibration-device aimed at supermarket-buyers.

I dont think anyone is recommending it. Its a wheel that will work, but its not something you would want if you want to really get serious. Similar to the the 458 spider wheel on XB1 its cheap, but if your going to put $100 down for something you should probably save up for the real thing.

p3tran

Banned
well, i did recommend it to a couple of friends that wanted to see how a wheel feels. not everybody has 3-4-5 hundrend to give for a test.
plus, one can also experience the logistics of having a wheel attached and if they work for him or not. (needed space to set it up, space to store it, how much of a hassle it is to setup & play etc).
i think its not bad to test the waters, and if one finds the analog sensation of the wheel worth the space and time, its easy to sell it /gift it and upgrade to a proper wheel..

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
If there's no G27 support on the PS4, then I'm not buying any sim racing games on the PS4, it's as simple as that. That includes Driveclub and GT7.

Jibbed

If there's no G27 support on the PS4, then I'm not buying any sim racing games on the PS4, it's as simple as that. That includes Driveclub and GT7.

G27 support is something you can pretty much guarantee is coming. It's the most popular 'premium' wheel on the market.

amar212

G27 support is something you can pretty much guarantee is coming. It's the most popular 'premium' wheel on the market.

OK, cool statement.

However..

All Logitech wheels are using licensed FFB software called TouchSense, licensed by Immersion Company.

Immersion grants licenses for usage of the software based on the platform where the device is used.

So, who is going to pay the PS4 licensing to Immersion Company now when Logitech is out of the wheels production business?

Logitech? Why? They do not manufacture wheels anymore, why would they pay for licenses/royalties for the discontinued products for the platform they do not support? Also, they would need to pay double: once to Immersion to use their patents and second to Sony to become their licensed partner again (as they were from 2001 to 2012). Why would they do that?

Sony? Why? They are the party that licenses their platform to interested hardware partners - such as the Thrustmaster for instance. Why would Sony pay to Immersion for the royalties in order to have discontinued hardware supported on their new platform? Also, what would Thrustmaster say on that, since Thrustmaster has signed a PS4 Hardware Partner license with Sony? And Sony had already stepped into the game before for the Logitech, when they payed 200 million $ of royalties to Immersion in the infamous PS2/PS3 "dualshock" case. They certainly don't want to pay another bag of money just to have discontinued products supported on their platform and with new hardware partner in the business.

Who else, then?

Developers? Well, they could. However, I think there is no developer such strong who will be willing to pay to both Immersion and Sony to license TouchSense in their game and on the PS4 platform just to allow usage of discontinued wheels.

I AM NOT SAYING SOME SOLUTION WILL NOT BE FOUND IN THE FORESEEABLE FUTURE. However, the situation is complex as hell.

Logitech has already mentioned on twitter that they're working on PS4 drivers.
If I remember correctly, that was in november 2013, 6 months ago. We had no news since then, I am starting to worry a little bit.

Edit: Reading amar212 looks like the situation is much worse than expected. Maybe we should ask Sony on twitter for help. I have 2 logitech wheels (driving force gt and g27) and I am not buying any new ones. If we get support for them in the PS4 I will use them, if we don't then I will sell them.

hesido

OK, cool statement.

However..

All Logitech wheels are using licensed FFB software called TouchSense, licensed by Immersion Company.

Immersion grants licenses for usage of the software based on the platform where the device is used.

So, who is going to pay the PS4 licensing to Immersion Company now when Logitech is out of the wheels production business?

Logitech? Why? They do not manufacture wheels anymore, why would they pay for licenses/royalties for the discontinued products for the platform they do not support? Also, they would need to pay double: once to Immersion to use their patents and second to Sony to become their licensed partner again (as they were from 2001 to 2012). Why would they do that?

Sony? Why? They are the party that licenses their platform to interested hardware partners - such as the Thrustmaster for instance. Why would Sony pay to Immersion for the royalties in order to have discontinued hardware supported on their new platform? Also, what would Thrustmaster say on that, since Thrustmaster has signed a PS4 Hardware Partner license with Sony? And Sony had already stepped into the game before for the Logitech, when they payed 200 million $ of royalties to Immersion in the infamous PS2/PS3 "dualshock" case. They certainly don't want to pay another bag of money just to have discontinued products supported on their platform and with new hardware partner in the business.

Who else, then?

Developers? Well, they could. However, I think there is no developer such strong who will be willing to pay to both Immersion and Sony to license TouchSense in their game and on the PS4 platform just to allow usage of discontinued wheels.

I AM NOT SAYING SOME SOLUTION WILL NOT BE FOUND IN THE FORESEEABLE FUTURE. However, the situation is complex as hell.

The extra license fee burden could theoretically be countered with a special license downloadable from PSN store. Money would be split between Logitech for their efforts and the license holder. Of course, people would still be up in arms about why they are paying extra to use the peripheral they bought, ommiting the fact that they saved hundreds of dollars to get a wheel with comparable functionality.

Unfortunately, this solution is very improbable, but it would be sweet.

amar212

Edit: Reading amar212 looks like the situation is much worse than expected.

Yep.

If Sony does not decide to license TouchSense by themselves AGAIN from Immersion - and from today's perspective I really do not see the reason why should they - I don't see Logitech support coming to PS4.

ONLY POSSIBILITY could be the influence that Kazunori Yamauchi has over SCEI and fact how both Hirai and Yoshida sit in the Polyphony's Board of Directors comity, while Yamauchi is vice-president of the SCEJ himself.

IF HE - and I truly presume him ONLY - decides how it is important to keep the Logitech wheels supported because of the prospect of GT series on PS4, then tides can change and something will possibly be done.

Without Gran Turismo's as wild-card, I do not see any possible development in this particular case because Immersion Co. will simply demand compensation for their patents and somebody have to pay them - especially in the case of new platform.

Also, I simply can't find any source to verify WHICH parties are in obligation to pay when moving technology on the new platform - only platform holder (Sony in this case), or platform holder AND wheel manufacturer. If both, then Sony may even want to pay, but if Logitech declines, there is almost nothing to be done.

I do not think we will get an answer to any of this question before someone at Slightly Mad Studios share some information about which wheels will be supported by PCARS on PS4, because, quite frankly, I do not expect to get Logitech support for the DriveClub.

And I would so love to be wrong, naturally.

Ixion

I bought the Driving Force Pro wheel for GT5, but I barely used it since I didn't like GT5.

I'd love to use it for DriveClub. This sucks. :(

viveks86

Has this been posted?

ZM55AVa.png

viveks86

Who is Tidux? Any credibility?

Some credibility. Claims to be a 3rd party dev, working on snowdrop engine. He passed Bish's sniff test. Revealed info about 1.7 release in advance. Other than that, he says a LOT of things on twitter and we don't know if they are real or not. Not yet at least. So a grain of salt is recommended.

amar212

If true, all legacy Fanatecs should work. Imagine that joy.

I will believe Tidux on this with 80%, purely because mainstream does not care about the wheels whatsoever, so this particular scoop has to be intentional.

But wouldn't Rushy know if Sony were working on bringing G series wheel compatibility? It's not happening. Tidux is spouting pure BS

[ig]http://i.minus.com/ibawdgXTzrMGKs.gif[/img]

He would but if they're currently just working on something then he wouldn't say anything about that because if nothing comes from it then people are going to get angry. So it's smarter for them to just keep quiet about it until a final decision is made. DRIVECLUB is still five months away, so there's plenty of time for wheel support to be added.

He would but if they're currently just working on something then he wouldn't say anything about that because if nothing comes from it then people are going to get angry. So it's smarter for them to just keep quiet about it until a final decision is made. DRIVECLUB is still five months away, so there's plenty of time for wheel support to be added.

And they can always patch the game afterwards.

Shaneus

Some credibility. Claims to be a 3rd party dev, working on snowdrop engine. He passed Bish's sniff test. Revealed info about 1.7 release in advance. Other than that, he says a LOT of things on twitter and we don't know if they are real or not. Not yet at least. So a grain of salt is recommended.
So if he's working on Snowdrop, then he'd have a closer familiarity than almost anyone (if Snowdrop is that thing I've read something about. Development platform or drivers or some shit).

Shaneus

Ohhhh. I'm thinking of something *completely* different. That screen grab of a tweet from a guy working on something driver or engine related or something, saying how well SDKs are coming along for PS4 or something.

VAGUE!

bombshell

Ohhhh. I'm thinking of something *completely* different. That screen grab of a tweet from a guy working on something driver or engine related or something, saying how well SDKs are coming along for PS4 or something.

VAGUE!

That's the ICE team, still winter related ;)

Do you guys believe there is any hope of a wheel that will work with both the PS4 and the Xbox One? I was thinking of getting FM5 and a wheel but also own a PS4 and would like to have the flexibility to use it there as well.

What's the best wheel under $400 that is currently available for XB1 right now? Should I get it or is there something better coming soon?

(Wheel newb here... sorry if these have been answered)

Thrustmaster TX is the only one that offers force feedback on the Xbox One right now, it's a solid wheel though and PC compatible.

Nobody knows if a multiplatform wheel will be available this generation, Fanatec would probably be the ones to do it but a wheel like that could be years away at their pace.

Fact is while I plan to buy a PS4 in the next year or two, I do not plan to buy ANY racing games for it unless my G25 wheel works. I will not buy a new wheel. If Sony (or game developers) want racing gamers to take the PS4 (or PS4 games) seriously they need to step up and get the Logitech drivers licensed and implemented and publicly commit to doing so. Logitech wheels must be what 75% or more of the driving peripherals in people's homes? All these people like me will just get excited about other games on other platforms and migrate away from PS4 if the question keeps getting delayed.

Dumb question: Logitech still SELLS the G27, right? Because I was in a computer store the other day for something else, and I saw a couple of G27s on the floor. Normally I'd guess they were old stock, but they have the NEW G branding and box design. Looks like they've been using the new box design for a year. If Logitech isn't making any more, do they just have a whole bunch of already manufactured ones lying around or something? And why bother making a new box for them if so?

paskowitz

Fanatec ClubSport Hand Brake
So you have to scratch off flies from the side windows of your 4WD rather than the windscreen? Then this is the perfect product for you.

The Fanatec ClubSport Hand Brake features an analog axis and is fully made of metal. The soft foam grip is very ergonomic and you can either connect it to the ClubSport USB adapter or plug it into the ClubSport pedals. If you use it with the pedals it will even be compatible to Forza Motorsport.

The lever can be mounted in two different ways and you can attach it to both sides or at the bottom. (manual video below)

It is available very soon for 99,95 USD / Euro (exc. tax / incl. tax)

dc7e4620eef50e8d01396187a6acc0.png

Fanatec ClubSport Static Shifter Paddles
Drifting and rallye driving demands other techniques than road track racing. The wheel spins faster and steering angles are much bigger.

If you don't want to get confused with shifting when your wheel rim is upside down, you need the ClubSport Static Shifter Paddles. They are also a popular choice in many sport cars like Ferrari.

But as you want to drive F1 games with the Formula rim as well, we made the Static Shifter Paddles with a quick release system so you can mount and unmount them within seconds.

The shifter paddle position can be adjusted in many ways to fit all wheel rim sizes. It is made of fine CNC machined and anodized aluminum and matches perfectly to your wheel base.

On the picture and video you see the optional carbon fiber version of the paddles. The default version is black metal.

Available this summer for 79,95 USD / Euro (excl. tax / incl. tax).

1608882c9922a4c4f0483604ebaa9b.png

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
If true, all legacy Fanatecs should work. Imagine that joy.

I will believe Tidux on this with 80%, purely because mainstream does not care about the wheels whatsoever, so this particular scoop has to be intentional.

I hope this is true as im not buying another wheel.. I like me CSW be alright to put into G25/7 mode

psn

I hope logitech returns, their wheels were awesome in the price range. Want to keep my g25 and my dfgt..

Tinzo

Banned
so, i was googleing around yesterday and i found this on t500 rs facebook page.
Grotefoto-RVSH8BGX.jpg

i say this means t500rs will work with project cars on ps4 too .

how about the confirmation that the PC and PS4 versions are releasing before the Xbox One version?

what the heck at that post, I thought they were all releasing at the same time.

The T500 page isn't going to mention anything Xbox related. It's not relevant.

Top Bottom