• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 6P | OT | Its also the best Android Phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotBacon

Uh oh. The thin clients at my work don't charge my phone with the USB-A to USB-C cord. :( These are the only USB ports I have access to at work and all power points are in use. The charging options appear on the phone but the battery icon doesn't change and it goes down.

Odd, but a simple solution: buy a charging pack? I think quick charging packs are coming down in price.

Bregor

I get your point but what happens when my unit bends in my pocket next month and Google don't do anything for me?
Personally I think that the larger the phone, the higher the chance this could happen so shame on the company that don't strengthen the frame to avoid this.

Have there been any reports of accidental bending?

If not, why are you worried?

I have had it for over a week i think. Its a great device. The screen is nice and bright, its fast, wonderful camera.

The battery leaves something to be desired but i can live with it.

Finger print reader is fast as well.

Arol

Sorry complete newbie to this but I'd appreciate any help.

I got my Nexus 5 with Sprint and I'm thinking of getting this.

Do I buy it and just take it to a sprint store so they can transfer my account to the new phone?

Thanks for the responses

clav

Sorry complete newbie to this but I'd appreciate any help.

I got my Nexus 5 with Sprint and I'm thinking of getting this.

Do I buy it and just take it to a sprint store so they can transfer my account to the new phone?

Thanks for the responses

I looked into this.

You either go to Best Buy or to a Sprint corporate store and ask for a $10 SIM card. Be advised there are still customer service reps clueless on the BYOD process.

From Sprint
Part: SIMGLW446C
SKU: CZ2144LWC
UPC: 019962040146

From Best Buy
Part: SPRINT HTC M9/MOTO X PURE SIM
SKU: SIMLTGSM4FF
UPC: 7000116

You can attempt to use the self-activation tool online if you buy from Best Buy.

Here's a video of a guy filming himself with the activation process on a Moto X Pure/Style: https://youtu.be/Dp9UX-KB-Gk

Elitist1945

I might buy one, really want one.

I also keep telling myself I should stop buying expensive things.

Only time will tell which one of those will happen.

Arol

I looked into this.

You either go to Best Buy or to a Sprint corporate store and ask for a $10 SIM card. Be advised there are still customer service reps clueless on the BYOD process.

From Sprint
Part: SIMGLW446C
SKU: CZ2144LWC
UPC: 019962040146

From Best Buy
Part: SPRINT HTC M9/MOTO X PURE SIM
SKU: SIMLTGSM4FF
UPC: 7000116

You can attempt to use the self-activation tool online if you buy from Best Buy.

Here's a video of a guy filming himself with the activation process on a Moto X Pure/Style: https://youtu.be/Dp9UX-KB-Gk

Cool thanks for response.

I'll hit up a corporate store when I get the chance and ask in person.

Otherwise I might just transfer my number to another carrier.

I was so ready to get one on release but its over $1000 in Australia

one thousand dollars

I payed $400 for my N5 in 2013
If you get it through a plan it is cheap. I pay $5 a month for 24 months for the phone itself ($120!) with Virgin Mobile Australia.

Everyone outside USA is getting screwed hard with this phone. Don't buy it.

$700 in Canada. Same price as most high end phones.

Looks weird though when people keep saying they're getting the "graphite" version when it literally says "grey" on the box. Unless they're two different colours.

Mrbob

The speed of charging is crazy good. Maybe I just got used to my nexus 4 taking all night to charge, but I couldn't believe I charged this phone from 5% in about an hour.

My wife got it and I am insanely jealous of that fingerprint reader. I thought it was just another pointless feature, but it's speed and location are actually game-changing.

Yeah they fingerprint scanner is great. I went from wondering why I need it to using it all there time.

I get your point but what happens when my unit bends in my pocket next month and Google don't do anything for me?
Personally I think that the larger the phone, the higher the chance this could happen so shame on the company that don't strengthen the frame to avoid this.

no company can actually strengthen the frame and still sell it at a cost

It's a term that iOS users use to hold on to the old notion that Android is inherently laggier than iOS, which we know hasn't been true in a long time.

If anything, I feel like my iPhone 6 hiccups more than my Nexus 6.

i secretly think they turn the animations to flag up to 2x instead of .5x or off

Battery report! 5.5 hours of screen on time until I got down to 5% (over the course of 9.5 hours. It was a slow day). Mostly on a fairly low brightness (was all I needed since I was inside), mainly using Firefox over 4G.

Moreche

I've decided to keep mine as I can't face giving up the keyboard and flexibility of android for ios.
This phone never shutters and never slows also I'm also loving Google's services a lot more than apple's.
And the screen is beautiful but I just hope Google stands by it if I get a problem.

Bregor

Nice! Bigger than what I want, but good to know they're out there.

Be careful, the Nexus 6p does not use qualcom quick charging, and a Google engineer who went and tested USB-C cables found that a good number of them don't match up to spec.

Pyrokai

For those of you getting this phone over the 5X, what was the kicker that made it seem worth the upgraded price?

For those of you getting this phone over the 5X, what was the kicker that made it seem worth the upgraded price?

Build quality and overall look of the phone did it for me. I hate that camera nub on the back of the 5X.

Now that I actually have the phone, the large screen is also a plus. I was a bit worried about having a bigger phone but I'm used to it at this point and can't imagine going back to a smaller screen.

Pete Rock

For the removable battery, just carry a battery pack with you.
This does nothing to address the actual point of a removable battery, which is to replace it when the cell eventually degrades and dies. I've been able to refresh lagging phones simply by swapping out a $15 cell too many times to put myself in a position where that isn't an option.

andthebeatgoeson

Battery report! 5.5 hours of screen on time until I got down to 5% (over the course of 9.5 hours. It was a slow day). Mostly on a fairly low brightness (was all I needed since I was inside), mainly using Firefox over 4G.

Nice. But the SOT is all over the place. I can't wait til they really get a good handle on these phones with their SOT.

Husker86

Be careful, the Nexus 6p does not use qualcom quick charging, and a Google engineer who went and tested USB-C cables found that a good number of them don't match up to spec.
I understand, which is why I made my original post further up on this page. The linked battery pack appears to support the USB-C fast charge spec.

jwick

Unconfirmed Member
am I crazy for being torn between this and the Note 5? Any pros/cons between the two?

For me it comes down to software -- I absolutely despise heavier third-party modifications of the stock android experience and Touchwiz is at the top of my list. Performance and general UX is pretty terrible (for me) so it's a non-starter no matter how good the hardware is.

CronoShot

There's only a $70 difference between the two in the US (because the 16GB 5X shouldn't even be considered)

So that $70 gets you:

Bigger and higher res AMOLED screen
More powerful processor
More and faster RAM
More premium build
Gorilla Glass 4 (vs GG 3 on the 5X)
Front facing stereo speakers
Bigger battery (and better battery life, according to most tests)
Extra features in the camera (240 fps slo mo, burst shooting)

I'd say it's a no brainer, unless you don't care about any of the extras, or absolutely want a smaller phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom